The Order: 1886 is a ‘filmic’, linear, third-person action-adventure, says Ready at Dawn

Tuesday, 25th June 2013 16:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

PS4 exclusive The Order: 1886 has been described as a linear third-person action adventure with shooting mechanics. It’s “very much story-based” and will be a ‘filmic experience’, according to developer Ready at Dawn.

Speaking with the PS Blog, studio co-founder Ru Weerasuriya said the team is still playing around with the moment-to-moment gameplay, so that it won’t contain a”single-tone, where you rely on one single thing in expense of the rest.”

“The overall feel – that filmic experience… the one thing we brought to this is something people are accustomed too but usually can’t tell,” eh explained. “When you watch a movie you don’t question what lens is being used. You don’t question why there is grain on the film or why there’s a certain lighting. Those are things we’ve been accustomed to seeing for 30 years. So when it’s missing we usually go ‘Wait, something is wrong with this image’.

“With this game we replicated a lot of physical attributes. We have true lens distortion. We built physical lenses into our engine so we could get something where people will look it and not be totally disconnected. Games have a tendency sometimes to be too clean and crisp. We thrive in the dirt. We just love the fact that it feels dirty. It’s filmed in a very realistic way.”

Weerasuriya also touched a bit upon the pressure the firm feels releasing a new IP on an new piece of hardware, noting there are a “lot of unknowns” with it.

“You make a lot of bets at the beginning because you don’t know how things are going to be two years down the line,” he said. “The good thing for us is that we didn’t have to bring a lot of legacy over, and because of that we’ve made a lot of bets that luckily for us turned out really well.

“But yes, the pressure is always on. It seems that there’s a lot of expectation now and there will be more after E3. So all we have to do now is finish it.”

A release date has not been provided.

1. OmegaSlayer

Cool!!!
    Gonna love it!
    4 players co-op TPS.
    Hopefully not shitty like FUSE

2. xbox1fanboy

Another generic TPS
    *flush toilets*

3. diggidy

This really has my attention, it just looks different…

4. ChunkyLover112

Looks amazing! Really looking forward to it.

5. Lengendaryboss

6. xbox1fanboy

LOL

7. manamana

Bring it, I’ll buy it!

8. Erthazus

“true lens distortion”

Finally in games. Lawl. console games achieved 2008 level of visual fidelity.

9. Gekidami

^ You’re an idiot.

10. redwood

he is probably not only talking about lens distortion, he is talking about physical lens attributes,, meaning that a 65 mm reacts differently to light than a 35 mm lens. And stuff like f-stops and Shutter speeds.
    Even trolls know that man, you getting rust at this buddy:P

11. melonbuster1

Only 2 games at launch. .sad ps4 launch line up.. killzone and drive club.. Microsoft has over 7 exclusive games . Foza 5 ,ryse, kinect sports, dead rising 3, fantasia , quantum break and killer instinct . Then they both share the multi platform titles. Really sony. Your about games? This will be a slaughter. .

12. OlderGamer

Doesn’t look fun to me.

13. Rikki

Looking forward to this game. One of the few new IPs that got me excited at E3, plus Ready at Dawn makes great games, finally a good chance to see them with their own IP.

14. redwood

@11.. true very true.. specially cause the console is releasing tomorrow. Now they have no time to release anynew title.. PS4 is doomed.. long live Xbox1

15. OlderGamer

I think launch games are going to be thin on both consoles, MB. Likely they will contain the usual suspects of franchise enteries such as AssCred, CoD, EA Sports, etc…But stand out, killer apps? I don’t really see many if any of those at this point.

16. fearmonkey

Whitechappel ripper era London with paranomal and steampunk like stuff!

All I can say…..Please be good! It sounds like something I would love, don’t let me down.

17. super3001

linear tps lol

18. OrbitMonkey

Needs more QTE’s.

19. Erthazus

@Gekidami, Playstation fanboy said that? OKAY.

20. Lengendaryboss

Calm before the storm.

21. Lengendaryboss

On topic: i’m interested in the premise but nothing screams must buy, up for consideration though.

22. OlderGamer

That is the way I feel LB, might buy it on the cheap down the road. Just not enough interest to warrant full price. Looks standard, generic.

23. OrbitMonkey

@22, Gets used to that feeling ;)

24. DrDamn

They’ve only released an in engine cut scene. You bunch on cynical old gits! You’ve got very little idea of how it plays, the game mechanics etc. We all like to bang on about gameplay but are happy to judge and write off a game from what we’ve seen of this? Sheesh.

Premise of the game looks nice. I like the combination of time period, setting and tech. Show me how it plays and I’ll form a more solid opinion about whether I’d like it or not.

25. Lengendaryboss

@DrDamn
    Just judging whats in front me, when they reveal true footage and it wows i’ll adopt a change of opinion. Till then its up for consideration. Finally I am not cynical nor old, I am not rocking back and forth on chair :)

26. Francis O

It’s hard to get excited for another shooter. There are just too many of them from too many different studios.

It’s like Western developers think shooting is the only genre.

27. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    You should add this to your sentences “if we thought like Francis today we would think all shooters are lame and would own all Nintendo platforms to play the same experiences over and over again expecting shit to change”. Borrowed Vaas inspirational words in Far Cry 3 an FPS. Now that same experiences part is a generalization people use, is it true? No.

Just because you don’t like shooters doesn’t mean your generalizations become true, contrary to your opinion there are some people that like playing shooters. Far Cry 3, Killzone, COD, Battlefield and Bioshock are experiences people enjoy, so give it a rest with inaccuracies.

28. Francis O

@Legendaryboss

It looks like Sony’s boss agrees with me.

29. CyberMarco

Just because the majority of the consumers prefer shooters it doesn’t make FPS games a better game genre.

If so Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga should be the next best artist after MJ.

30. monkeygourmet

@LB

Just playing devils avocado, but Francis didn’t mention Nintendo atall.

He just mentioned this was ‘another’ shooter for the PS4… I kind of agree with him. This is sounding a bit like a ‘Gears’ clone.

So far we have:

Killzone
    BF4
    COD
    Destiny
    Planetside 2
    Warframe

In and around launch. That’s a fair few shooters already. Couple that with cross platform titles I would say the most interesting PS4 looking stuff would be the indie games…

Even if your a huuuuuuge shooter fan, there’s not much their to pull you in if you own a PS3 / 360.

31. DrDamn

Francis wanders in to every shooter thread with hilariously witty sarcasm. They aren’t exciting, but they are exciting enough to comment on all the time.

That’s the emphasis Sony is placing on genres. Lots of variety there, and good promotion of indie titles too.

32. monkeygourmet

It’s not bad, yeah. IMO they don’t deserve some of the ‘god like’ praise they get for their selection though.

I’m actually favouring the Fox Box One launch line up and first quarter window at the moment, which is annoying. I don’t really want anything on PS4 apart from the indie stuff and maybe Infamous 2.

Things I’m most looking forward to are ‘Deep Down’ (if its exclusive) and whatever Naughty Dog has cooking. I was hoping for an Uncharted open world effort, although MGS5 looks to have beat them too the punch…

Also, having watched Francis’s videos, I can happily give him some time. He owns all the consoles and seems to enjoy most games. Sony fans are the worse if not kept in check! ;)

33. Lengendaryboss

I think somewhere along the line you all missed what I said: people enjoy playing shooters i don’t condemn them for it, do i think we are overflowed with them? Yes. do i think we need a break from them? Yes. But only if people cease to enjoy playing it or if it becomes too much of an emphasis.

I start with @Francis: What Sony wants, what consumers wants and what publishers/developers want to pursue are all different things. Sony just have to live with fact that the developers/publishers want to pursue shooters due to the fact theres a market for it.

@Cyber
    I am not saying that: never used preferred. I said enjoyed two different words different meanings. I mean people enjoy playing shooters just as people enjoy listening to Justin Bieber i don’t go out and make campaign against it, i don’t complain about the fact people enjoy shooters.

@Monkey
    The Nintendo part was an example to prove that a popular generalization is not true (or might not be true) from the people that enjoy it from their Point Of View and to provide an example Francis relates best with :) Sure there are a lot of shooters but thats not to say other genres will be tossed to side like an unwanted present.

34. fearmonkey

I will Francis does have a point. I wish we would have more Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot, Jumping flash, and other high quality platformers on the next gen. I hope Knack is decent, and the new Plants vS Zombies game looks interesting. I love Nintendo style games, and I think its a bit lame that we really havent got many on 360 this last gen.

Xbox had Psychonauts, Voodoo vince, grabbed by the ghoulies, etc and the 360 had Kameo and maybe a few others others. I love to see more of those style games on on next gen. PS3 had more than 360 did last gen.

35. Francis O

Legendaryboss

The market is flooded with shooters. We all know this.

36. OlderGamer

Shooters just make sense tho. They are fun, flashy, up tempo, and addictive. Plus they really draw in the gamers. Not to mention all of that but they are great vehicles for moving DLC. Not hard to see why pubs love em.

The problem for me is that they make a great treat, a fantastic snack to have. But there isn’t much substance. I love my time spent on BF for example. But after the opening draw of spending a couple hours a day for the first few weeks, the game looses something for me. And while it is fun to unlock rewards/perks/guns and the like, after awhile you realize you are on a treadmill right next to the mouse.

And how many times can you go through the same song and dance?

And there is the crux of the shooter problem. They lose their appeal after a few franchise releases. It is like WoW. I loved wow, but now the thought of grinding thru instance after instance doesn’t seem fun. And the idea of doing it in another MMORPG is twice as off putting.

Really it all boils down to games becoming so formulamatic. And far too often they become generic. Hard to distinguish one from another. Not just the game and the setting or the mechanic..but the experience. It reminds me of mascot games in the 16bit days. Once you played a few 2D platformers, you pretty much played them all. You knew what to expect.

That is the way shooters feel to me. I am still admittedly excited about Destiny, Titanfall, and BF4. I just don’t know how long those games will hold my interest. Might be like giving up on stage 4 of Bubsy or Zool.