Star Citizen becomes highest-grossing crowdfunding project of all time

Tuesday, 25th June 2013 14:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Star Citizen has become the highest-grossing crowdfudning project of all time with $10,662,857 pledged towards the space-sim. Two weeks ago, the figure stood at $10,049,823.

Along with the news of the high funding figure, Roberts Space Industries has also offered a bit more clarification to what you saw in the lovely trailer released yesterday.

“The video you saw wasn’t just made in-engine, it used actual game models,” reads a statement on the official website. “You’re looking at the 300i mesh you will see in Star Citizen and not some high-poly fake created for cutscenes and good PR. What you’re seeing is what you’ll play.”

Packages are still available which will secure one of the 300 series ships, which won’t be available post-launch. You will need to make your purchase before before July 6 if you want lifetime insurance.

The game’s website is set for a relaunch on June 28 with a livestream.

1. Pytox

nice

#1 1 year ago
  2. OwnedWhenStoned

I love a bit of Crowdfudning.

#2 1 year ago
  3. GrimRita

Just WOW! God bless crowd funding and all who sail on her

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lutz

I swear to god I wish I had a PC that’d play this.
    Seriously considering getting a PC next gen, sod XboxOne and PS4… This, and Elite Dangerous? Hell yeah.

#4 1 year ago
  5. GrimRita

@4 PC is where it’s at. Hey, I can even control mine from my phone! Have it all booted up, game loaded before I even walk in the door!!! If only it could wash dishes, make tea and take out the trash…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Sadismek

@5 Don’t want to be that guy, but how can you do all that?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@6 TeamViewer or LogMeIn will work for those kind of things. I use the latter at home and the former at work.

#7 1 year ago
  8. TheWulf

Yup. All of the above are right and I know because I’ve done it myself. This is one of the many joys of…

You know exactly what I’m going to say here, don’t you?

Open platforms.

I know, I know. But still, this is just another thing you can do because you’re allowed to tinker with your system. This is something that consoles could only do if the good graces of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo allowed for it. And as I always say, this is never shitting on consoles because I love console games. I’m just really fed up of proprietary, closed systems. Aren’t you?

You can get a decent PC for the price of an XBox One, anyway. One with roughly the same specs, if a little lower. If you have an Android phone to go with that, you’ll have no end of apps people have developed which allow you to remain connected with your computer. Don’t trust them? Pick open source apps and read the source for yourself, as open source apps exist for both platforms!

This is the joy of an open platform.

The XBox One and PS4 are mostly what Microsoft and Sony respectively want it to be, not what you want it to be. And it was only with much loudness did Microsoft renege on some of their bad policies. Yet the PC is what you want it to be, it always is.

Want an open source OS? You have a billion flavours of those. Want a version of Windows? You have XP through 8, take your pick. Want to run Mac OS X on your PC hardware (for whatever reason)? You can do that too! The PC is just a world of possibilities, and being able to control it from your phone is just one of the things you can do.

And again, I say this with no detriment to console owners, but I’m hoping that this new generation will lose a lot of gamers to the PC. Why? It means more people will understand the joys of an open platform. Being able to make their computer truly their own, being able to use mods, and having fun with all of this. And it’s not like the odd reinstall is worse than a RROD, after all. To the contrary, I’d say that console hardware failures are much more painful for the consumer. It forces them to be without their console for goodness knows how long.

So I do hope that this next generation loses people to the PC, because in order to get them back, console manufacturers would have to make their consoles open platforms. And I’m just invested in the betterment of our past-time for all, it would benefit everyone if consoles were open platform, as you’d be able to do so much more with them.

Just imagine being able to use an Android phone to tell your neXtBox to boot up and run a game, and to have it ready and waiting. To even tell your friends that you’re about to get into the house, if you desire.

These new platforms, even as good as the PS4 is, are still painfully restricted for both developer and consumer. So… maybe give the PC a go this time around. The benefits are definitely worth it.

And besides, you can get a PC that has the capabilities of an XBox One that’s no bigger than one, these days. So you could sit your PC under the telly, connect to it with a HDMI cable, and use Steam’s Big Picture mode to play your favourite games with mods.

What’s not to love?

#8 1 year ago
  9. OwnedWhenStoned

@6 I do it with Tasker, WOL and 2X client(on Android)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Sylrissa

Even though I agree with some of your points, is it ever possible for you to express yourself more succinct then an essay?

#10 1 year ago
  11. GrimRita

I actually use Slashtop 2 from my android phone to talk to my computer. the thing is brilliant, and cheap!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Joe_Gamer

Somehow I spent more money funding this game than any other game ever lol.

#12 1 year ago