Gran Turismo 6 demo lands next week, structured as a “GT Academy-style driver training concept”

Tuesday, 25th June 2013 17:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

As you know, the demo for Gran Turismo 6 lands on PSN next month, but today, Sony has provided a few details on what to expect.

According to the PS Blog, the demo is structured as a “GT Academy-style driver training concept” where you progressively learn the skills required to drive these expensive machines.

The course on the demo is Silverstone, and once you have cleared the earlier rounds you can post your time to the leaderboard.

“Regardless of whether you are in one of the GT Academy eligible countries or not, once you have proved your skills and made the grade through the initial rounds you will unlock special bonus content,” reads the post.

The demo launches on July 2 and will remain live until August 31.

Those in the GT Academy hunt have until 11.59pm BST on July 28 for a chance at a “real life racing career.”

Games’ out this holiday season on PS3.

1. SlayerGT

Schweeet

#1 1 year ago
  2. PS4FANB0Y

Am I the only one who wishes this would have been a PS4 launch title to go against Forza 5?

If the pace of past GT games is any indication, we won’t see GT7 until +2015 :(

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

@2 Maybe. I’m hopeful PS3′s Cell architecture was the culprit in GT5′s long dev cycle. Trying to lock down a racer, as good as GT5 looks, at 60fps in 1080p with 16 cars on track? No easy feat. Time will tell I guess.

#3 1 year ago
  4. fihar

I doubt that was the case, Prologue was already up and running by 2008 remember?
    Sure, the game had no damage model whatsoever but it’s not like GT5 had a proper one either.

It’s just a matter of Kaz adding more and more stuffs until he’s satisfied.

#4 1 year ago
  5. manamana

My PS3 is ready.

#5 1 year ago
  6. wildBoar

@2 it’s going to get a complete PS4 overhaul port though. It’ll be kinda like an ultimate edition, hopefully it’ll arrive at around Q1-Q2 of 2014.

I actually kind of prefer that it’s a PS3 port, unless they go way out of their way to make it more tasking on the system, it should run like lightning. No load times, fps drops, just excellent preformance. Racing games have gotten pretty enough anyway.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

@4 Correct. But the Cell’s biggest problem was rendering open worlds. More to the point streaming them. Its probably why GT5′s load times are so bad. The tracks in prologue weren’t all that big. I have no idea really. Like said earlier I hope that was the prob. I think Turn 10 is finding out that producing these high res, massive poly count cars are not easy to do too. If you noticed the new Forza is pretty stripped down with “hundreds” of cars. We sim fans are gonna have to wait if we want good looking racing sims.

#7 1 year ago
  8. mistermogul

I hate all the pretentious shit that comes from Polyphony. GT is a good racer and great brand but they take themselves too seriously.

Besides they are not the pinnacle like they once were imo in the racing genre.

#8 1 year ago
  9. PS4FANB0Y

I’m not saying they should port the game but rather never have intended it for PS3. They should have gone PS4 from the get go.

I’m a huge racing sim fan. Forza and GT were some of my favorite games. Now Forza 5 is coming out soon with sick visuals and next-gen features and we are stuck with a current gen game to compete :(

We already have GT5… Did we really need GT6…. NOW? Right before the PS4 launch? Oh well…

I sold my PS3 to get a PS4… That might be part of my frustration :p

#9 1 year ago
  10. SlayerGT

@9 We don’t really know much about Forza 5. From what I’ve heard it may not be as “feature complete” as GT6.

#10 1 year ago
  11. PS4FANB0Y

I hope PS4 can play PS3 games then.

A bit off topic, but will PSN Plus games (free ones tied to Plus account) carry over to PS4?

#11 1 year ago
  12. SlayerGT

@11 As far as I understand NOTHING as far as games, retail or digital, will carry over. Should have held on to your PS3 :/ the next question I want answered is about my digital movies I’ve purchased through psn. I’ll be holding on to both my PS3′s. But just would like to know out of curiosity.

#12 1 year ago
  13. PS4FANB0Y

Backwards compatibility was always a standard. Who can keep around so many consoles?

Oh well…

#13 1 year ago
  14. SlayerGT

@13 Why not? Trading them in isn’t worth it. Might as well keep em.

#14 1 year ago