Dark Souls 2 director most intimately involved with balancing

Tuesday, 25th June 2013 04:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Fine-tuning enemy parameters and difficulty is how Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura intends to put his stamp on the series.

“Throughout the game, there are going to be a lot of different small things that I will direct and will be implemented due to my personality or direction, but the biggest part I feel that will characterize this game as the game that I directed will probably be the game balancing,” Tanimura told GameInformer when asked how he intends to make the game his own, having taken over from Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki.

“I take care of a lot of the balancing of the game – with the difficulty, the trickiness, of the frustration that you feel. I intend to spend a lot of my time trying to balance placements of the enemies, the parameters of the enemies so that players can face that difficulty, face those challenges, but also conquer enough to sense that satisfaction.

“Balance is probably the most important part of this game and I feel responsible in balancing the game, and tuning it to the finest details so that Dark Souls II will be the best experience so far in the series that we’ve created.”

Tanimura also addressed the troubling question of Dark Souls 2′s accessibility, commenting that it doesn’t necessarily make the game easier if he makes it more understandable.

“The reason why we used the word accessible was not to say that the game is going to be easier by any means. We’re maintaining the difficulty and we think the challenges are required,” he said.

“What we meant was, there are certain aspects of the game where it didn’t really have a direct connection to the sense of satisfaction of overcoming. There were things that were a little bit time consuming or a little bit tedious that we wanted to streamline – sort of carve away all the fat so we could really deliver the lean pure expression of what Dark Souls tries to communicate, which is the sense of satisfaction of overcoming.”

The director also commented recently on the RPG’s engine upgrade, which allows for some fancy graphical flourishes.

Dark Souls 2 is coming to PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March 2014. Phil tried it out and had a pretty good time being awful at it.

1. MFBB

I need info about Hidetaka Miyazaki game.

Someone get in there and leak some documents as usual :)

So I finally know if he really is working on Demons Souls 2 or something completly new.

Need some japanese vg247 spy going ham at From Software.

#1 1 year ago
  2. polygem

cannot wait for this game! main reason to keep the current gen systems and treat them with care.

#2 1 year ago
  3. polygem

1+1

!!!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Gigabomber

We should be scared about this. Haven’t seen any Japanese person that I know talk in the first person so much about how he or she is pivotal to anything, ever. He talks like an American in a job interview and might just spoil the game trying to make his mark.

Hope I’m wrong.

#4 1 year ago
  5. redwood

@4 no not really.. I think this will be a much more fierce game than DS..cause they have better bigger tool set to work with, and a better budget.. and they are NOT trying to change anything. All he is saying is that he will tighten the game mechanics to allow really nice game dynamics, which actually means I am going to do my job this way because I like it done certain way.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Armitage Shanks

More time spent fine tuning every single aspect of the game,the better.I have no problem with them making the game “More Understandable” sure Dark Souls,which i am currently playing has a great sense of discovery with pretty much every aspect of its gameplay,Dark Souls 2 will still have that with regards to discovering new ares etc.But there are some items i have picked up in Dark Souls that i had no idea what they did without having a look at a Wiki,or asking another player online,which is cool too but if they actually describe what the item does in the ingame description than that is maybe more streamlined and less tedious.Who knows what other aspects of the game he is describing as making more accessible? maybe some kind of stat list of each enemy type you have defeated showing their HP and what types of attack/elements they are weak to?

#6 1 year ago
  7. MadFingerz

@4 You never heard about Hideo Kojima then. Nor Tomonobu Itagaki. Nor Shinji Mikami. Nor…

#7 1 year ago