Xbox One’s official headset revealed

Monday, 24th June 2013 16:47 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Microsoft has revealed the wired chat headset for Xbox One. It features one speaker and a controller input and looks quite similar to the Xbox 360′s headset.

Similar to the old version of the Xbox 360′s microphone, you’ll also have volume and mute control on the Xbox One headset’s controller input. It’ll also feature padding on both sides of the headset. The headset will also make use of a wideband voice codec for sharper voice chat.

Oh and by the way, it’s not included in the box when you buy an Xbox One console.

The Xbox One will also support various third-party headsets including Turtle Beach headsets and Polk’s soundbar and headphones. You can find an image of the headset below.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Joe Anderson

*not included in the box.

2. xino

good!!
    now people can STFU online

3. actuallyisnotafox

theres only one ear thing, so.. my guess it doesnt play game sound therefore you going to have people with that echo’y game audio effect huh :/

4. polygem

looks good but i am very happy that the ps4 comes with an in ear headeset/out of the box solution. i use headphones for gaming and an in ear headset allows me to keep using those under my regular headphones…with this one it wouldn´t work.

5. xBASSxMONSTAx

Microshaft are really out to screw gamers, a hundred more than the PS4 and they don’t throw in a headset or rechargeable battery pack. Only stupid idiots would buy the more expensive, more restrictive Xbone over the PS4.

The PS4 will come with a rechargeable controller so no need for batteries.

6. CyberMarco

I would like to know if you can use any 3.5mm jack headphone with the DS4.

The XB1 headset looks neat, but it’s a shame it’s not included with the console. Personally I would like to see an in-game chat feature, like you those you find on PC. It’s really annoying to being able to communicate with other players online on consoles.

7. Dralen

I cannot believe they’re not including it in the box! That was one of the greatest and smartest choices Microsoft made with the xbox 360. Very strange choices from Microsoft with the Xbox One.

8. Lengendaryboss

“Microshaft?” PS3fanboy is that you? :?

9. pandulce1

@5 But they have the “power of the cloud”. I bet right now Microsoft is researching how to bring the power of the stars to XBOne. Just imagine being able to send your “drivatar” into outer space to race aliens on other planets. lol

10. penniman

Hopefully this one won’t break every 3 months..

11. CyberMarco

I don’t think so, you can clearly see that the headphone jack is plugged in the 3.5mm slot and not in the proprietary one.

12. superjay779

You could probably use Kinect to talk to people. With every console getting a Kinect there is no need to have a headset in every box. Also shhhhhh PS4 is coming with a headset either.

13. superjay779

-without a headset-

14. Arcnail

@12 is or isn’t coming with a headset?

nm..

15. Aullah

This looks like shit. It will break sooooo easily. Also only 1 side? I would go crazy if i had to use only 1 side to talk with my buddies. Also… not included with the game? What a load of crap. Where is the price? Why arent you telling me… oh… never mind. I think I know.

16. ps3fanboy

where they gonna put the keypad now then?… they didn’t think about that one, idiots.

17. pandulce1

@11 I didn’t notice that the question was regarding the DS4. My mistake.

@12 I believe Sony said that the headset will be included with the PS4.

18. merrc

PS4 is coming with a headset, and yes you can use any 3.5 mm headset. Sony just makes it so much easier for us than Micro$oft

19. Citrus raptor

But can one use the Kinect for the same reasons the headset is made? If so, why not use it, why the headset?

EDIT : Funny how many complain about forcing the Kinect into the package, but complain about not including a headset…

20. lezo

kinect chat urghhhhhhhhhhh

21. pandulce1

Kinect has a mic, but does it have a speaker? I don’t think it does. Besides, would you want online chat on “speaker phone”?

22. superjay779

@20 my fault I thought it didn’t come with a headset. I think it looks nice. I like the fact that it has a big mute button just in case you have to talk to the wife.

23. CyberMarco

Yeah, chatting in an online game with Kinect, like shouting at your TV from 2-3m away. Personally I find it cumbersome to chat on Skype on my desktop with the mic 50cm away.

24. Froseidon

To everyone saying that it is only on one side: All Xbox first party headsets have been like this. You don’t notice it at all. It feels weird when you swap ears, but it only being one sided isn’t annoying at all.

@23 Really? Skype picks everything up dude, even that annoying static in the background :P

25. Citrus raptor

A speaker on one ear, that has got to be one of the most annoying things I can think of*. But yeah, the ‘speaker phone’ thing doesn’t sound that attractive. Remains to see how well it sounds and how clear it picks up.

*Looks like 24 already addressed it. But I’ve used it on the 360, and did not think of it as ideal.

26. CyberMarco

That’s the problem! xD

27. Froseidon

@26 – Ah right :P I thought you meant it was picking up too little. Yeah, Skype’s bad, always has been, always will be, even before MS took it over.

28. MCTJim

Kinda looks like the one from the 360. Works for me.

Well, looks like Turtle Beach is still being tight lipped on whether their X5′s will work with the next gen consoles or offer an adapter so it will. Boo :(

29. lezo

@22 its cool

30. TrickyAudio

The fact that its not bundled with the console is actually a HUGE selling point of the Xbone ;)

31. DrDamn

Mute button is exactly why Kinect wouldn’t work for me. I like to mute the mic quite a lot so I can carry on talking to the wife etc.

32. SlayerGT

“Xbox..tell that fucker stop spawn camping!” :D

33. machy

is it 3.5? if not I’m not interested

34. AyKKon

“The PS4 will come with a rechargeable controller so no need for batteries.”

You DO know that rechargeable AA batteries exist don’t you? Don’t you???

35. CyberMarco

I believe so…

You do know that rechargeable AA batteries eventually die, and are quite expensive compared to a DS4 battery pack in the long run…

36. AyKKon

Yes they do eventually die. And that’s why I can buy new ones just as I have before for as little as 5 euros. What happens if a controller’s internal battery dies? Buy a new one for 60 euros.

37. CyberMarco

Are you retarded? You can get a battery pack for your controller for like 3-4$ and you are good to go for another 3-4 years, also you can keep playing if the battery is uncharged by plugging the USB cable compared to swapping rechargeable batteries.

P.S. How come his post was published on 25/06/13 at 12:03am and mine on 25/06/2013 11:28am?

38. ps3fanboy

@37 the xbots cloud is so powerful that it let them post in the future, LOL!