PS Vita is perfect companion to PS4, presents “significant opportunity”, says Sony exec

Monday, 24th June 2013 16:12 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 and PS Vita will work in tandem on many levels going into next-gen, and the pairing presents a significant opportunity for the handheld format says Guy Longworth, Sony’s senior vice president of PlayStation brand marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment of America.

Speaking with GI.biz, Longworth said of Vita’s position at present, “With Vita, we’re only 15 months in to launch and now we think that with PlayStation 4 the opportunity for Vita is to be the absolutely perfect companion to the PS4.

“What we’re seeing is that once people get it in their hands and buy it, they’re buying games and they love it. Now, it’s not had as fast a start as we would like, that’s common knowledge. But we do really believe in that platform and think that is has a significant opportunity. We think there’s a number of things that we can do in the coming months and years that will make it a long-term sustainable business.”

When asked about a potential PS Vita price-cut after Sony’s pre-E3 conference, Longsworth replied, “You wouldn’t expect me to come into pricing discussions unless we announce them at E3. We’re about value, we’re trying to offer value. You saw last night we were in a position we felt the value of the PS4 was very good at $399.

“With PS Vita we feel that $250 is the right price, and I’m not going to comment on where we might go in the future.”

Longworth’s attitude surround PS4 and PS Vita seems familiar, as Sony’s UK boss Fergal Gara recently said that PS4 has given the handheld a “shot in the arm”, backed up by confirmation that all PS4 games will feature mandatory PS Vita remote play features.

Is PS Vita’s time in the sun currently in the mail? Can its popularity increase as a companion device to PS4? Let us know what you think below.

1. Lengendaryboss

I don’t see it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. dravenkaze

John cena?

#2 1 year ago
  3. MCTJim

Price point wayyyyyy to high for a handheld.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SlayerGT

Vita is a hardcore gamers device. Of course Vita owners buy plenty games and love it.

Edit: @3 for casual gamers. To those that matter it’s worth every penny.

#4 1 year ago
  5. PS4FANB0Y

Yeesh, the Vita is not a great value for $250. Sony always tries to push the most advanced portable at top dollar. Didn’t work for PSP… Won’t work for the Vita.

$250 is a hardcore portable price… I have yet to see a portable capable of playing hardcore games RIGHT. Lets not forget COD for Vita and all other FPS games that rely on “auto lock” (I hate that) to compensate for the lack of accurate aiming.

$200 with a game will get them back in the race.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Francis O

It really is. Just give us $250 for it, then $399 for the console, add up tax and PlayStation Plus, with a game or two…..and you can have all this for the low low price of about $1000…It’s perfect

#6 1 year ago
  7. xino

how can it be a close companion when Cross buy is only for PS3.
    Vita is only useful for ps4 just for remote play, nothing more!

#7 1 year ago
  8. jeffb01

@7 maybe they’ll be cross-buy with ps4 – there’ll still be the hotline miami’s and sound shapes (indie games) that don’t push the hardware…

btw, I got mine over a year ago for $200. It seems you can always find some kind of sale (I got a free $50 bb gift card with purchase)…

#8 1 year ago
  9. stealth

Thats not what i got it for. I got it to compete with 3ds which is kicking its ass in exclusive games

#9 1 year ago
  10. OlderGamer

Francis +1

And that is problem number one for me. However if you look at Vita as a stand alone games device it makes more sense. I would never buy it just because I am buying a PS4.

That being said, I agree it is too expensive. There is a glass ceiling slider somewhere between raw power/dev cost/dev time/quality/and price. Vita is just above the price point for most gamers. And don’t fool yourself, Sony would love everyone to buy it. Not just some delusional self important “hardcore” gamer types.

If the price were less then 200usd, included decent memory, maybe a game…I would already own one.

#10 1 year ago
  11. CyberMarco

I would really like to get a Vita, I can easily find one for 200€ + game/4gb, but the problem is the memory pricing. Unless you fix that shit I wont be buying it anytime soon.

Sure, PS Vita is a great value, combined with PS+ it’s a great platform, but those memories doesn’t help much.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Jalas

Just bought a vita and soul sacrifice for £150. Very pleased with that! Getting it mainly for Persona and SS but gotta catch up on my PSP games so can use it for that and good old PSones. Hope some more good games come out for it though! New Suikoden would make it worth it alone. (Prays to gaming gods)

#12 1 year ago
  13. superjay779

Very nice hardware. I just wish there were more exclusive games pushing the hardware.

#13 1 year ago
  14. ps3fanboy

yes the psvita is perfect i have one with 32gb card!… sniff on that one flashcard pc beggars!

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

PS Vita is far from perfection, it is fanboys that let bias control them when commenting on “the PS Vita has no games” “PS Vita is too expensive” “Memory Cards is too expensive” when in actuality all i see when people comment is a defense mechanism and responses are usually “PS Vita has lots games” “PS Vita is not expensive” “Everything with PS Vita is ok” those are people in denial.

#15 1 year ago
  16. SlayerGT

@6 yep. And with the Playstation camera and a PS Move I won’t need a Wii a WiiU or an XBOne. Do the math.

#16 1 year ago
  17. TrickyAudio

Then Support it more, Sony!

I love my Vita, I’d hate for it to turn into another PSP.

#17 1 year ago
  18. dizzygear

The Vita is going the way of the WiiU if they dont drop the damn price soon.

People thinks its too expensive and does not have enough games and western publishers ignore it because of the low install base here. Its a downward spiral.

Its pretty sad i’m seriously considering permanently switching to my Japanese PSN account on the Vita because none of the games i have my eye on will likely ever be brought over because the Vita sells like crap here and Sony is too damn stubborn to drop the price.

#18 1 year ago
  19. xBASSxMONSTAx

While Microshaft concentrate on bullshit kinect, we true gamers can have a great gaming experience with the PS4 and Vita. :)

#19 1 year ago
  20. Maguire82

The Vita is poor. The touch screen is bad and the touch pad is crap at best and the OS is terrible. And if they say it complements the PS4 all I can say is unlucky to anyone who buys one.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DrDamn

Except you get the game or two, or loads with the PS+ sub. So no where near $1000. I know quite a few people with PS3s and PS+ sub’s waiting for a Vita price drop because they already have a sizeable collection of quality games for it.

#21 1 year ago
  22. DrDamn

The touch screen is bad? FFS there are plenty of things you can pick on if you really want to with the Vita, price, memory card price, lack of must play titles etc. Picking up on the touch screen which is actually fantastic? Errr … OK.

#22 1 year ago
  23. dizzygear

@22 Oh come on. That troll was too obvious. How can you fall for that?

#23 1 year ago
  24. Maguire82

@22 Just my opinion and my observations of my experience. And yeah as features of the Vita I felt they let it down. A poor device at best.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Maguire82

@23 who’s trolling the fact is the Vita is a bad device.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DrDamn

So go on then what is wrong with the touch screen? It being “bad” isn’t exactly descriptive. It’s a good capacitive screen, what’s not to like.

#26 1 year ago