EA: Mirror’s Edge sold 2.5 mil copies, sequel wasn’t possible on current gen consoles

Monday, 24th June 2013 17:07 GMT By Debabrata Nath

EA’s Patrick Soderlund has revealed that DICE developed Mirror’s Edge sold around 2.5 million units and a sequel was only possible on next-gen consoles.

Speaking to CVG, Soderlund said although the publisher had various prototypes built for a sequel of the game, it finally zeroed in on a vision which was only possible to accomplish on next-gen consoles.

“I’ll be honest with you: we’ve been looking at Mirror’s Edge for many years and had small prototype teams and incubations around what it could be. But it wasn’t until Sara Jansson, who is now the producer on it, came to me and called Karl-Magnus Troedsson and said, ‘listen, I have an idea for what this could be’. She presented a vision so inspiring that we were like, ‘we have to build this now’.”

“The interesting part is that it was a game that could only be built in gen 4 and that was cool. I liked that because what they’re doing, it’s not possible on the current generation” Soderland said.

He also revealed that the original game sold around 2.5 million units, and that the company fully supported the series and were eager to make a sequel.

“We sold about 2.5 million units with Mirror’s Edge and people haven’t even blinked at it – like, ‘of course we’re going to make a new Mirror’s Edge’. The whole company has been behind it” he said.

Soderlund also said that EA is confident the new Mirror’s Edge will be well received by gamers and it’ll sell a lot more copies than the original managed to do.

“Of course we think that this will be successful, that people will love it and that we’re going to sell a lot more than we did with the first one. A lot of times you’ve got to follow your gut and your heart rather than looking at everything that necessarily made sense on paper. I think that our fans are pleased to hear that and I’m glad that I work for a company that can give us that opportunity, frankly.”

The new Mirror’s Edge, which is being termed as a “prequel/reboot” of the original, is in development for PS4, PC and Xbox One.

1. Lengendaryboss

Does “not possible” mean not bothered or really “not possible”?

#1 10 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

Not bothered.

#2 10 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

“We have to build this now”, and I am excited to see that happen! “I’m glad that I work for a company that can give us that opportunity, frankly.” How fantastic to read. :)

#3 10 months ago
  4. Night Hunter

Has anyone heard of Sara Jansson before? I can’t find her on LinkedIn. Has she produced a game before?

#4 10 months ago
  5. Francis O

The game sold 2.5 million units with well over half of that when the game was discounted to $25 bucks online.

They just didn’t want to make a sequel because they knew it wouldn’t sell like their shooters or shooter Battlefield.

#5 10 months ago
  6. ps3fanboy

not impossible, LOL… yeah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

#6 10 months ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

@4 http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/credits/bf3/
    “Producer – UI”

#7 10 months ago
  8. Max Payne

@6 Well considering its open world now with probably 60 fps and glass physics :D

#8 10 months ago
  9. Neuromancer

Gen 4?

#9 10 months ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

The Fourth Generation Of Consoles PS4 and Xbox One (and maybe Wii U although thats an uncertainty) EA codenamed it Gen 4.

#10 10 months ago
  11. CPC_RedDawn

@8 We have PhsyX on PC in the first one if you had an Nvidia card and it was a joy to play on my old GTX580.

#11 10 months ago
  12. EZXPSnazzyPanic

Nah they could easily do number two on current consoles, but this give them a chance to redefine the series and make it a lot better I suppose.

#12 10 months ago