Destiny in pre-alpha, Bungie avoiding micro-payment talk for now

Monday, 24th June 2013 14:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie has skirted around questions regarding in-game payments during its latest Mail Sack Q&A blog. The game is currently in pre-alpha and it’s still unclear if the shooter will beg you for micro-payments every step of the way.

The blog post features a question that asks about real-money items and boosters. Seeing as Destiny is a hybrid MMO like Guild Wars 2 and that Activision is publishing, it isn’t a stretch to suggest that micro-DLC will be included.

Bungie replied, “What we can tell you right now is that the rewards you will gain by playing Destiny – and playing it well – will be earned. You will carve them from the hides of your enemies, after you stomp them into the ground of your favorite destinations.”

The response suggests that all content will be accessible through playing well, but it’s still unclear if gamers will be able to pay their way to the good loot or not.

On the game’s alpha status, Bungie added, “Destiny is pre-Alpha. That means that the game is alive, but not fully grown. We’re still exploring the space inside our own imaginations, and funneling what we find there into our brand new engine.

“There’s a lot more work left to do. Thus, we reserve the right to continue our battle for the best idea, and tinker with our new toys until they land squarely in your controller-wielding hands.”

Would micro-payments put you off Destiny? Let us know below.

Destiny is heading to PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Thanks Gamespot.

1. MCTJim

Make it perfect :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not sure if picking up random pieces of “loot” (aka unlocking weapons in a random order) is such a fantastic idea.

I’d say it that Acti charging for the exact weapons you want is pretty obvious.

#2 1 year ago
  3. zinc

Whatever system they use, I hope it isn’t as bad as Mass Effect 3′s :(

#3 1 year ago
  4. Tronros

I am still not sure how they want to do their loot system. Will there be static gear to grind for like every MMO or will it be RNG to extent like Borderlands?

Also if they are gonna take a few notes from other MMOs micro stores then I expect to see increase loot drop bonuses, cosmetic armors/weapons, and etc. at high pricing :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. Aullah

@1 It will be on console… with gamepad… so its impossible.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

I think they will charge for weapon upgrades. Something tells me that they will do it.
    Weapon upgrade for a MMO was always a good way to charge for.
    Bungie showed at E3 that weapons have their own skill-tree and to achieve it faster they should have some boosts for few $$$$$$.

but in my opinion charging for everything that has to do with gameplay is a failure. Blizzard on the other hand makes a profit 15$ a month + they are selling mounts/pets.

#6 1 year ago
  7. MCTJim

I love my job too….I bring home $82.01 an hr..so I am much better than you…

#7 1 year ago
  8. For Blood

#8 1 year ago
  9. Max Payne

I really hope its just cosmetics.

#9 1 year ago
  10. karma

“Bungie avoiding micro-payment talk for now”

I don’t blame them. I’d never talk about it if they don’t want to scare peeps off.

#9: “Games that are FTP or are microtransaction, you end up paying more in the long run than buying a game full price and having everything unlocked. That is why game companies make more on FTP and microtransaction games.”

Agreed. Also people smarten up to this eventually.

I’m curious to know how sustainable this business model is for AAA in the long term.

#10 1 year ago
  11. For Blood

Thank you, it is quite ridiculous that games are in the “nickel and dime” market.

#11 1 year ago