Quantum Break – Remedy explains how the game and TV show tie into one another

Saturday, 22nd June 2013 20:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Remedy has explained a bit how Quantum Break, its Xbox One exclusive which “blurs the line between gaming and TV“.

Speaking with Game Informer, creative director and writer, Sam Lake said the sc-fi game in which players control time, was “like a natural progression, and we’ve been on this path for a while now.”

“We’re trying to create this immersive, fictional world in the game,” he said. “Live-action has already been part of our experiences for a while. We want to push that further. It just feels somehow natural when talking about stories. The earlier steps were baby steps into that direction, and this is a bigger leap. We want to explore these possibilities.

“What you get when you buy the game is essentially the first season of Quantum Break. That includes the whole game and the whole show. They are connected in many different ways. The idea is that you get this deeper entertainment experience and they are interwoven, so we are aiming to get the perfect TV show-model pacing. So you play an episode of the game, you do certain junction points and choices along the way, and once you get to the end, we unlock an episode of the show.

“You get to watch it and see the consequences of the choices you’ve made in the game. Then you see glimpses of other stuff that helps you in the game, it gives you further information about certain things as well as clues how to unlock even further material. And then once again you get to play another episode of the game and it goes like that.”

Lake said players will have the freedom to choose skipping an episode of the show and keep on going, and can come back to the show and watch it later on.

“We are trying to nail the perfect pacing so that doing it as intended, you get a deeper, more powerful experience,” he said.

Quantum Break is slated for release in 2014.

1. Gheritt White

So… it’s like fucking expensive cut-scenes? TEH FUTAR!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Phoenixblight

“So… it’s like fucking cheap cut-scenes? TEH FUTAR!”

Its actually cheaper to do Live action than CG.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gheritt White

@2: Yeah, fair point. Sorry, bit drunk, s’all. Was just trying to be funny. I’ll get my coat…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Phoenixblight

It is still funny. THough I am not a fan of this blending of live action and cg.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Francis O

Lame

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    All because its not published by Nintendo :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. ps3fanboy

cheap cut-scenes & TV soap *flushtoilets*

#7 1 year ago
  8. Aullah

What a piece of crap. I hate when they force us to watch long cutscenes. I WANNA PLAY DAMNIT. They could not even bother with ingame cutscenes, they just do it with real people. “deeper entertainment experience” my ass.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    Annoying and cheap comments *flushtoilets*
    Now: http://images.cuddlycomments.com/5/64584e2d21c66b7b7.jpg :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. sahand

At least this game is gonna have great story.

#10 1 year ago
  11. zinc

Play game for half-hour, watch cut scene for half hour…

So just straight up ripping off MGS?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

@Zinc
    To be fair the cutscenes in MGS 4 worked its way up-to 1 hour :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. Francis O

@ Legendarychump

I think Wii Music is Lame, and that’s published by Nintendo.

And I like to play games, not watch TV show tie ins.

This is how the industry is moving forward? F*ck that, count me out.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Looks like I poked a soft spot.

#14 1 year ago
  15. The_Red

I still don’t understand how this game plays but IF there is actual gameplay (a la Alan Wake & Max Payne), I’d be down with it since I don’t have any problems with long cut-scenes.

However if this is a FMV game using 3D models then it can fuck off.

#15 1 year ago
  16. superjay779

Can’t wait to get this game. I loved both Max Payne and Alan Wake

#16 1 year ago
  17. Francis O

@Lengendarychump

Please, you poked nothing clown.

#17 1 year ago
  18. zinc

^ Your Mom’s name is Nothing?

I keed, I keed!

#18 1 year ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

@Francis Clown, you like clowns?
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/roo4369/Crazy%20Gifs/Clown.gif :D

#19 1 year ago
  20. ps3fanboy

@Lengendarychump

that pic was quite disturbing, is it ur kitten?

#20 1 year ago
  21. For Blood

An FMV game? What the hell year is this, 1994?

#21 1 year ago
  22. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    Hey! I don’t want this becoming a trend :( Nah i don’t like kittens it was just linked to toy with you and Francis which you’re borrowing nicknames from, strange. :?

#22 1 year ago
  23. ps3fanboy

@21 at least we have laser disc now so we get super high-resolution quality picture… eh… wait a second… its 2013!, damn…

#23 1 year ago
  24. For Blood

If this is the crap that M$ is offering on their system count me out.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Francis O

@Legendarychump

So how long are you going to comment stock me? Just out of curiosity?

When I say something good about something, you tell me I’m being sarcastic. When I give my honest opinion, you have some stupid remark including Nintendo somehow.

#25 1 year ago
  26. ps3fanboy

@24 your more than welcome to join the sony camp :D

#26 1 year ago
  27. For Blood

I probably will come back. I only skipped the PS3 for how expensive it was. I still got to get another PS2, as I still have boxes and boxes of PS1 and PS2 games.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    “How long”? That depends on you, i’m personally enjoying it. “Good”? Well you are being sarcastic/negative (see above)/ generalist when commenting on shooters given your disdain for all shooters. You can’t deny you weren’t being sarcastic/negative/generalist. “Honest opinion”? Usually your “honest opinion” has something in it that sparks a reaction and it ain’t just me that responds.

I could tone it down but you ain’t making it easy.

#28 1 year ago
  29. ps3fanboy

@27 if you have been on the x360 since 2005 you have been living in the dark ages with halo and gears my friend. take the step and come back, don’t be afraid. get a ps3 they go cheap now and have tons of awesome games. you are missing out, you have a lot of catching up to do, that i can promise you.

#29 1 year ago
  30. For Blood

I had one at one time, I need another one so I can finish the Yakuza series.

#30 1 year ago
  31. PS4FANB0Y

I’m so glad this game is coming to PS4! Take that Xbot fans!

#31 1 year ago
  32. Ristas

The utter fear of anyone trying anything new in this comment section is quite amazing.

Almost as amazing as is the fact that people don’T seem to be able to judge xbox exclusive games on their own merit now. Nope, its Xbox, so it HAS to be fucking shit. I mean…you already decided not to buy the console, right? So it HAS to be shit. If it wasn’t, you would have to buy the console. But you won’t! So it can’t be. It’s a shit game.

People mentioning they would find a “cheap way” to replace cutscenes…when ALL of the game we have seen so far are cutscenes…which are supposed to be cut for “cheap” live action…even though we have already seen it…you see my problem here?

Also, to say that shooting with real life actor’s is cheapter than doing a cutscene is utter madness. You can coun’t the games that still do CGI cutscenes on one hand – they are made in engine today, and we have already seen for QUantum Break that they in fact ARE done in engine.

In other news, Sam Lake confirmed you can just skip the episodes and concentrate on the game instead. He did that in THIS VERY NEWS. Yet, people are saying they don’t want these long excuses for cutscenes.

I can hardly facepalm as much as i want.

#32 1 year ago
  33. makta112

#31 – Yeah, it’s gonna be awesome.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Phoenixblight

You have nothing to defend. THey showed only horrible acting with the live action and a cutscene in game. How about you save the fanboyism when they actually show the game?

#34 1 year ago
  35. Ireland Michael

@32 Well said.

I am more than happy to give this a chance. I’m a cautious optimist when it comes to games. I just wish they would, you know, show some actual gameplay.

It sounds like it could be a neat idea, but its impossible to judge without any gameplay footage. I find it strange that they haven’t shown any yet.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Phoenixblight

You going to get a Xbox One now? Or hoping for a PC release?

#36 1 year ago
  37. Ireland Michael

@36 Considering they got rid of the draconian DRM, I see no reason not to get one eventually.

#37 1 year ago
  38. For Blood

Because at anytime they can put the DRM back on the system.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Ireland Michael

@38 So could Sony.

No hardware manufacturer is going to wake up in the morning and decide “Oh hey, remember that draconian DRM that everyone hated so much that it almost killed our brand and nearly cost us the future of our entire entertainment division? LETS PUT IT BACK IN!”

They know full well that reimplementing it would cause even more damage.

There’s healthy scepticism, and then there’s just being paranoid.

#39 1 year ago
  40. livewired500

Where do they insert the commercials?

#40 1 year ago
  41. For Blood

I’d rather go with the company who has said publicly said no DRM than the company who tried to force it on us.

#41 1 year ago
  42. For Blood

Here is a good analogy for you, Sony is like getting with a girl who had an HIV test and shows you the test results are negative. Microsoft is like getting with a girl who says she doesn’t have HIV and just taking her word for it.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Ireland Michael

@41 And I don’t feel the need to be delusionally paranoid.

#43 1 year ago
  44. PS4FANB0Y

MS can bring DRM back. There is no chance that Sony will. It’s literally imposible!

So accept the facts and join Sony… Become part of our family… Be a Sonyson.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Citrus raptor

In both Max Payne and Alan Wake there are TVs with series that I stop and watch, so I’m already used to it. Also, the prequel series to Alan Wake was awesome! If they get to that level of quality I’m all in.

#45 1 year ago
  46. dkpunk

@32 very well said but, common sense won’t get you very far here. If a game is on xbox one it’s considered trash.

@45 Exactly what I was thinking. The twilight zone inspired eps in alan wake were awesome.

#46 1 year ago
  47. pukem0n

holy crap, ps3fanboy opended a 2nd account to troll us even more :o

#47 1 year ago
  48. Lengendaryboss

Second? Or Third? Or Fourth? Theres PS2,PS3 And PS4 Fanboy.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Gheritt White

The one thing that’s putting me off a PS4 is the fucking cunty fans, all whom seem to share a braincell between them and have as much chance of losing their respective virginities as pigs flying.

#49 1 year ago
  50. CaptPierce

Not fanbaiting here, but the reason games like Uncharted can say they have movie like quality is in the production value of how the game is; they have fantastic voice acting, sound, art and character design and never forgets its a GAME surrounded by all of those aspects.

Make a TV show if you want a TV show. I wasn’t feeling Alan Wake, but I’ll look out for it just in case things change.

#50 1 year ago
  51. ps3fanboy

@44 true words bro, and that was very well said. we should have more people with your views and attitude in world.

#51 1 year ago
  52. gomersoul

why do people like bashing fanboys? I am for Sony but with good reason. they have delivered the goods time and again since ps1. I know they were a bit arrogant in 06 but other than the price what was actually bad about ps3? excellent exclusives, free online, virtually zero advertising. no hidden costs like battery packs for controllers. there was a delay on a few games hitting the ps3 but now it wins hands down. if they have learnt anything from ps3 than ps4 Will be ten times better than x1. if you don’t like kinect, shooters or tv than ms just say fuck you. total bullshit. there’s loads wrong with x1 but because they reversed the ridiculous drm decision everyone thinks maybe it isn’t so bad. get a ps4 if you have sense. get x1 if you hate Sony. but if you hate fanboys then stick to reading articles, not comments. I love console wars, because in the end we all win

#52 1 year ago
  53. Gheritt White

@52: We – the platform agnostic commenters – were here LONG before you twats showed up and the discussion used be about having an intelligent debate with as little emotional bias as possible. So don’t tell me who should and shouldn’t comment, sunshine, stick to masturbating over your black box du jour instead.

Btw, I hope get the above comment is in jest… you do, right? If you guys want to spout your tripe here, be prepared for backlash from people who find it churlish, that’s all.

#53 1 year ago
  54. gomersoul

wow, looks like I touched a nerve… but I don’t think anything I said was unintelligent or offensive. but you seem to think its ok to call me a twat for having an opinion?! you are the reason we don’t have intelligent debates anymore. truth hurts pal.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Djoenz

Oh please thats the biggest piece of crap I have ever read lmao. Please grow up.

#55 1 year ago
  56. Ireland Michael

@55 How long have you been here?

#56 1 year ago
  57. Djoenz

Intelligent debate? Yeah sure whatever floats your boat. Does it make you feel proud you guys have been here for ages talking on a game site?

Like Da Man since 08 or even earlier.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Ireland Michael

@57 No. It just used to be nice to interact with other humans beings without everyone resorting to personal attacks, insults, mockery, and straight up degradation of other people’s character on an almost hourly basis.

You can’t fucking breath on here anymore without someone pissing on you.

The site has become swamped with trolls, blatant alt accounts and fanboys, and numerous people whose sole purpose is to harass and demean every single purpose they can, and jack fucking is being done about it because the owner simply doesn’t care.

#58 1 year ago
  59. gomersoul

I’m not sure vg should do anything. we have the freedom of speech. you can’t takeaway people’s right to be assholes. we are all as bad as each other but some seem to think they are elite compared to most. a happy world would be very boring indeed

#59 1 year ago
  60. Djoenz

In that case I can understand how you guys might feel. The site seems to be turned into a shithole and downgraded massively. I wouldnt know cause yes I only joined this year lol.

The staff should really moderate this man. Its ridiculous. As a supporter I would feel the same. On the other hand thats the internet.

Age doesnt matter cause I have seen so called “mature” people act so immature on the internet. IRL as well like my boss he is 53 but seriously that individual hasnt learned a single thing in his whole life. Its embarrasing.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Gheritt White

To be honest, so long as we’re all having fun, that’s the main thing. Soon as the fun stops, I’m outta here, for however long or short I feel like.

#61 1 year ago
  62. Ireland Michael

@59 Sure didn’t stop the site staff deleting BDH and TEA’s account… but hilariously, that only happened when those people backtalked *them*.

When it comes to harassing members of the community, they clearly get all the free reign they want.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Djoenz

Woah TEA as well?
    I forgot to mention I’ve been visiting this site since 07 perhaps, but I skipped the comment section the majority of the time. I always seemed to notice Erthazus a lot more than GigaHurtz when I did check out what people had to say.

Next gen new age new people. Im here for fun I dont need intelligent debates. Intelligent debates gives me headaches when people dont agree with me lol.

ONLY ONE THING makes me melodramatic (on the internet) and thats Final Fantasy. My weak spot.

#63 1 year ago
  64. Gheritt White

@ 63: Final Fantasy sucks major ball sack.

COME AT ME, BRO!

#64 1 year ago
  65. Djoenz

It didnt in the past! hmph!

BREAK YOSELF FOOL!

#65 1 year ago
  66. manamana

I smell alt-account on gomersoul. ps3fanboy he is.

#66 1 year ago
  67. Djoenz

Please stop the bullshit theory about Alt-accounts. Even I was accused of being an alt-account seriously? Nonsensical dribble.

#67 1 year ago
  68. manamana

What theory? This is daily practice. Do you have a hard time to recognise certain patterns?

#68 1 year ago
  69. Djoenz

Not every pro-sony dude is an alt acount from some ps3fanboy troll. Sigh. Do you have a hard time recognizing coincidences?

#69 1 year ago
  70. ChunkyLover112

ps3fanboy is the biggest loser I’ve on the internet today. Seriously, the dude has no life!

#70 1 year ago
  71. manamana

Sigh, no, I don’t. Was just pointing out the obvious. But you are right somehow. Why should I care, right?! The comments section is going faster down the toilet then any gamingwebsite I follow regularly. So probably you are right, I worry too much. I need just to log-off and call it a day. Or better a week.

This place is a messed up shipwreck in which I could start ten alt-accounts and flame any commenter down, with obsceneties, fanboy fanfare and übertroll statements and nobody would care. Just like you. So please, you are welcome to mess this place up a bit more. Hopefully *somebody* of the staff will finally wake up.

#71 1 year ago
  72. Djoenz

He finally crossed the line in the other article. He probably will be back though under another name. VG247 should enforce IP BANS.

#MakeItHappen

Honestly yeah you shouldnt care or get involved too much. I had that problem too with an online forum which I still am an active member on.

I had hassles with people to the point it was not enjobable anymore to visit the forum.

Then I realised why should I care about people I never fucking met. Moderation. Im not here 24/7 thank God.

#72 1 year ago
  73. Stephany Nunneley

Okay just to clear things up – @66

gomersoul’s first post was on August 15, 2008. None of his user ip addresses match anyone else’s, and definitely not ps3fanboy’s.

@62 “but hilariously, that only happened when those people backtalked *them*” – TEA did not back talk anyone. He was being a homophobic asshole and was warned MANY TIMES. And BDH had it coming. The other guy? He was troll from his first post and only got worse.

I told ALL OF YOU when I made the TEAgate forum post before E3 it was “clean slate” time. Clearly I didn’t make my point clear enough.

I am WAY too tolerant. I admit it, but when I have been pushed too much, or I am harassed too much, or I’ve been poked to damn much in the nose, that’s it. I’m done. And when I am done, I’m done. End of; ergo TEA (by Brenna’s hand), BDH, and whateverhisface got it.

ps3fanboy was warned, again. He is now on probation. Third time? He’s gone, sorry to be mean, or come off hateful, or a bitch but that’s just the way it is. God. I should not have to say this over and over again. Why do I always have to be the bad guy? Why can’t I just interact with you guys instead of being forced to be the Devils’ Advocate or moderator? It’s turning my hair gray!

Clearly the only person you guys will listen to is Pat.

@71 We are working on it. Things like this do not happen over night. Pat is not made of money and cannot just magically create an awesome comment section without a whole site revamp.

We told you guys “something” was coming and if you can’t be patient just a while longer, then I don’t know what else to say about it.

#73 1 year ago
  74. Ireland Michael

@73 None of those people are the problem with the site.

Da Man is.

Literally EVERY SINGLE post he has made for the past THREE years has been made with the soul intention of harassing, mocking and degrading people? Literally *every* post.

How many times do I and almost every other member have to point out the fact that he is forcibly driving people away from the community with his constant mockery and insults before somebody bothers to press the damn delete button? He is literally spamming the site and forums with harassment, and boasts about the fact that he can get away with it.

People leave and / or post here less solely because they’re sick and tired of being incessantly mocked by *him* for being geeks and enjoying video games. You’ve seen and acknowledged it yourself many times.

I can send you a list of just some of his most recent harassments, if you want them.

I would rather listen to you, Steph. I actually respect *you*. Nobody here thinks you’re the bad guy.

#74 1 year ago
  75. Gheritt White

Btw, just for history’s sake, the first guy to be banned was Shatner, and that was even before the site refresh (I think).

#75 1 year ago