Cage feels being divisive “means you’re doing something meaningful”

Saturday, 22nd June 2013 19:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Quantum Dream’s David Cage isn’t afraid to push boundaries or cause slight controversy’s with his games, because to him, that means “you’re doing something meaningful.”

Speaking with OPM, Cage said he likes being divisive, because otherwise, “what’s the point?”

“For me, the key question is: what do we want games to be? Are they just toys, are they just entertainment, and all you want is fun and adrenaline? That’s fine, I respect that,” he said. “There’s nothing wrong with that. Or do we think that games can be a little bit more than that? That they could say something, actually?

“There are films or books that really changed me in one way or another. But with games, it seems that most are just about having a good moment, having fun and that’s it, and then you turn off your console and you forget about that. They can tell you something, like the best films or books, they can maybe change you, even a tiny bit; change who you are, what you think or how you see the world. Can they leave just an imprint in your mind so by the time you turn off your console you still think? They leave something in you?

“I hope that there will be more and more games that will have something to say and become a little bit more meaningful. Games are quite shy at talking about different things, most are about facing hordes of monsters or saving the world or whatever, few games actually talk about the real world, about real people, about their relationship, their emotions, their feelings, and

“I wish that there were more games having the courage to talk about more subversive topics. Talking about politics, sexuality, human relationships”.

According to Cage, some of these more mature themes will be prevalent in Beyond: Two Souls, which he hope will make players “feel,” as they will be following the main character Jodie from childhood to adulthood.

It’s out on PS3 exclusively on October 8.

1. Lengendaryboss

#1 1 year ago
  2. wildBoar

Okay so here’s a good rule: Anything said by Molyneux, Cage, Jaffe or Blezinski should automaticaly be deemed unworthy of discussion or consideration and forgotten immediately lest it be put in writing and clog up Gaming sites with horse manure.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

I still haven’t finished Heavy Rain. It honestly has such a strong effect on me that I can’t ever find myself in the mood to play it, if that makes sense. Its emotionally draining for me, which I think is outstanding. I respect Cage.

Edit: And I don’t get why people give Cage flack.

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

I don’t think they are the same. Molyneux is the hyperbole, over-promise machine. Cage is the wanna be filmmaker that does games. Jaffe is a passionate pot mouth that says random things and Blezinski is a corporate shill and apologist.

That said, I take Molyneux’ lies, Jaffe’s bursts and Cage’s BS over anything out of Cliff’s mouth these days because at least those 3 aren’t actively defending publishers and their anti-consumer practices.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Mjorh

He is absolutely right!

#5 1 year ago
  6. wildBoar

#3 keep it that way. It’s so much nicer to remain positive and unable to see the bad qualities in people. To me, Cage is the big black sheep in Sony’s first party line-up that holds it back from being perfection.
    But yeah, you’re better off being able to play his games without cursing his name like I would.

#6 1 year ago
  7. wildBoar

@4 Fair enough, Blezinski can burn in hell. But I’d still prefer my game news without the former three’s weekly “who said what” trivia section.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ireland Michael

I would just like him to make these points *after* he successfully releases a game with a story that doesn’t always fall apart about half ways through.

Let you work speak for your claims. Otherwise it just feels like you’re making excuses in order to avoid admitting to your own creative failings.

Heavy Rain *almost* got it right, but a tonne of its story got ripped out, to the point where the second half of the story ended up being a huge mess with countless plot holes.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Mjorh

Get off the guy’s back FFS, focus on the content! i don’t care who he was or what he has done , what i’m seeing in this text makes a lot sense.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

@3 – Heavy Rain is an awesome game. It is the game I usually whip out for girls that I want to see what games can be. I’ve seen two women who found videogames uninteresting and boring sit down for six and eight hours straight and play Heavy Rain from start to finish. One of them is now actively trying to get a PS3 just so she can play Beyond: Two Souls.

She has no interest in any action games or anything like that, but she was absolutely blown away by Heavy Rain.

#10 1 year ago
  11. SlayerGT

@10 I got one that wants to see The Last of Us. I told her after I finish it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

@10/11
    Certain experiences gets the ladies, i’ll keep that in mind :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. superjay779

@2 You are 100% right

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

@12 – In my experience, what women want in a videogame is usually something intelligent that tells a strong story.

I’ve yet to meet a woman who Heavy Rain didn’t appeal to.

Now, of course, there’s other games that you can get girls into stuff with, depending on what their general perception of gaming already is. With a girl who doesn’t play games, thinks they’re stupid and all-Halo/Call of Duty type stuff she’s seen a brother/boyfriend whatever play, Heavy Rain will usually change their minds.

For someone who doesn’t hate them, but doesn’t really play them unless she’s at a party or something, and maybe played Mario on her big brother’s SNES when she was a kid, Bayonetta and Lollipop Chainsaw seem to do the trick, especially if they have a sense of humor that includes stuff like Archer and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@Clupula
    Its amazing how you know exactly what types of games women are into. Must be a very old trick?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

@15 – It’s not hard to figure out what people are into, if you listen to them enough. Eventually, you start seeing similarities between people, based on their various tastes, and then you can distill it down into individual things they may like. Works for anything. Movies, games, clothes. Just need to study people enough. Always been a very good reader of people face-to-face.

It’s actually funny with Heavy Rain, because when I usually show somebody something I’m kinda like a live-action demo for them. I’ll have them play long enough to get a general idea and then we’ll move onto other things.

But with Heavy Rain, as soon as Ethan’s life falls to shit in the beginning, they’re like, “Oh my god, can I play more?”

The first time that happened, I figured she’d just play for an hour or so, or maybe stop playing once it got to another character. But nope, I was able to take both a shower and a nap while she beat the entire game and then she thanked me for not interrupting her.

#16 1 year ago
  17. PS4FANB0Y

Beyond Two Soles and Heavy Rane are some of the best games this generation!

#17 1 year ago
  18. ps3fanboy

@17 hi there buddy :D yes Beyond Two Soles and Heavy Rane is the best no doubt its a fact. the xbots will of course say they sucks because these game will never come to the xboxes. but who cares the playstation is the best.

#18 1 year ago
  19. PS4FANB0Y

Can’t wait for beyond three soles! 4sure PS4!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Rosseu

#3 I have to agree with you. His games, and the way their story is written is awesome. It’s up there with the Last of Us in terms of story

#20 1 year ago
  21. xxJPRACERxx

All the girls I know would find Heavy Rain very boring. They all like NFS and Burnout, one of my teacher (and a really hot one) even like Gran Turismo! They’re all into cars and bikes IRL.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Ireland Michael

@20 …Heavy Rain is rife with plot holes and unexplained situations.

It’s nowhere near Fahrenheit’s mess, but it still has plenty of issues.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Clupula

@22 – And so are most major motion pictures and novels and tv shows. Doesn’t diminish the overall plot unless you’re determined to nitpick.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

@18/19
    Oh the relentless sadness.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

@23 This isn’t even remotely nitpicky. There are some absolutely humongous plotholes in Heavy Rain’s story.

Any movie with this same problem is still going to be a poor movie. I don’t see how movies also being guilty of this somehow gives a video games a free pass on the issue.

I *like* Heavy Rain. I think it presents some interesting moral questions and emotional challenges to the viewer, as any good work of art should, and it tackles them in a great manner thanks to interactive nature of video games themselves… but it isn’t without it’s share of problems. Sadly, the structure of the story is one of them.

I commend Cage for even trying to add something a little more thoughtful to video games. I just think if he’s going to preach about how it should be done right, he should maybe look a bit harder at the problems in his own work first.

Fahrenheit botched it up completely. Heavy Rain almost got it down, but fell over the last few hurdles. I really, really want Beyond to get it right. I’m very, *very* cautiously optimistic that it will.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Belmont

I can’t help but think Cage is a bit like Dan Brown.Both tell very good stories quite well, right before the story crumbles under the weight of its own promises(If you have read The Lost Symbol you know what I mean)
    I had a very poor emotion when the ending of Heavy Rain was wrapping up, the way the scene in that store with the guy who sold typewriters was handled,It was poor.
    HR generally did a very good job at trying to tell a different story.Yet it didn’t nail it to the point that I can say it was fantastic.

Another problem I have with Cage’s line of work is that he pushes gamplay all the way back to tell a story. Kojima does this very differently. With Kojima you get plenty of cinematics, but once those are over it is serious gameplay. With Cage it is always swimming between the two.
    If Ken Levine holds a class for storytelling in games, Cage and Kojima should sit in the first row and actively take notes. Guys from Naughty Dog will assist the teaching.

#26 1 year ago