Wolfenstein The New Order: Bethesda didn’t want to force multiplayer

Friday, 21st June 2013 12:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Wolfenstein: The New Order will not include multiplayer, and Bethesda’s vice president Pete Hines has explained that the publisher didn’t want to force it down developer Machine Games’ throats.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Hines explained what happened, “We talked to Machine Games about the game they wanted to make and multiplayer wasn’t in their thought process.

“We’re not going to force it down their throats and say, ‘Well, the last games did, so you have to do it.’ These guys do cool stuff. If you look at The Chronicles of Riddick or you look at The Darkness, those games have a creative element to them that is similar to the things they’re doing in Wolfenstein and that’s what attracted us to them, and that’s what attracted us to their vision of Wolfenstein.

“And we said ‘Okay, run with that.’ We’re not going to say, ‘Oh, we’ll find somebody else to do the multiplayer.’”

Elsewhere in Bethesda-land, the company has stated that it did not – repeat – did not show Fallout 4 behind closed doors at E3 last week.

Are you glad that Wolfenstein: The New Order skipped multiplayer? Let us know below.

The game’s out on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One later this year.

Thanks Gamespot.

1. Blackened Halo

Ah, that’s music to my ears!

#1 1 year ago
  2. merrc

In a way, yes cause it hads so much more depth to the SP, but in retrospect, Return to Castle Wolfenstein’s multiplayer on the original Xbox is what got me into the series in the first place!

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

The focus on multiplayer in that game is actually what turned me off. The singleplayer was meh and MP was the only good part. That was a huge 180 compared to Wolf 3D and it’s awesome singleplayer (For the time).

#3 1 year ago
  4. Cobra951

Excellent. All the development and runtime resources went into single-player, which is all I care about. This cranks up my interest in the game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. xino

then that means people will buy the game, play once and sell it!

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

no online mp in a wolfenstein game?… you gotta be kidding me!!, the focus should be on the online mp, that is what counts in this game. everyone that played the “Return to Castle Wolfenstein” from 2001, the best game in the series know that… this is a damn let down… no point in buying it now… i guess they cut the online mp out because the ps4 is coming. so they don’t have to host servers for years to come on the lastgen. fucking pathetic excuse of bethesda this.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

Perfect. A refined single player game would suit me down to the ground with this. Lurvely :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. IntrovertedOne

Nice to see a company take the opposite view of titanfall. MP holds little intrest for me.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Vice

Damn you first comment, I wanted to say exactly same one in one…

Bethesda is growing to be my favorite developer/publisher lately.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Digital Bamboo

Well, this game has my attention now.

#10 1 year ago