F-Zero’s future is uncertain as Miyamoto struggles to come up with good ideas

Friday, 21st June 2013 09:55 GMT By Dave Cook

F-Zero has been absent for a long time now, and it doesn’t seem like Nintendo’s anti-grav racer is coming back any time soon. The problem? Shigeru Miyamoto is struggling to think of good ideas that would warrant its return.

Speaking with IGN, Miyamoto Falcon-Punched the hell out of hopes that the series might return on Wii U in the near future. He said, “I think where I struggle is that I don’t really have a good idea for what’s new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again.

“I don’t know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero. We come to [E3] and we bring a lot of great franchises and everyone says, ‘Oh, well, where’s this game that I want to play? Where’s something new?’ I only have so much capacity.”

Would you like to see Miyamoto turn his hand to F-Zero after Pikmin 3 is out of the gate, or will Mario Kart 8 provide all the racing fun you need on Nintendo formats? Let us know below.

Thanks Destructoid.

1. dreamcastnews

Couldn’t they just do a HD F-Zero? It’s a racing game, doesn’t really need good ideas!

#1 1 year ago
  2. dizzygear

Or you could just play WipeOut instead.

#2 1 year ago
  3. dreamcastnews

…..Or I could just play F-Zero?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Froseidon

To be honest, a HD remake of GX (I think it is – The GC one) and I’d be happy.

#4 1 year ago
  5. fihar

I know right? They already have a solid base by being insanely challenging and pretty.
    Surely simply working on those isn’t that hard? I’m pretty sure they can get away with anything after releasing four NSMB title in the span of 6 years.

#5 1 year ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

F-Zero X (N64, I never got on with the GameCube GX version, but was enraptured, pretty much, with the former!) HD…I like that idea a lot. Perhaps they could push the pilots in a bigger way, also, see them in the pods. Please, offer both original and remixed versions of the storming soundtrack, though! :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. pg17

So he doesn’t have any good idea for f-zero, he bring us games that are average to good but not this excellent (like he used to do), maybe it’s time for retirement ???

Seriously Nintendo need some fresh blood !

#7 1 year ago
  8. manamana

But that’s exactly where Nintedos problem lies at the moment. They deliver software, that feels mostly unappealing, instead of boosting the WiiU with Metroid, F-Zero and a new Zelda. If they hadn’t such a great 3rd party support for the 3DS, it would be the same story.

I think Nintendo can’t keep up with the demand on their own IPs in the HD world.

#8 1 year ago
  9. orakaa

Damn… F-Zero was such a great game. One of the game I’ve spent the most time on my SNES. Really wish they would do another one. That could motivate me to buy a Wii-U.

And coming to realize it, that’s the problem: Miyamoto only has so much capacity, and there doesn’t seem to be enough people/studios producing games for the Wii-U. So far it seems even worse than the situation with the Wii. The console has been out for some time now and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of games coming soon. “X” seems to be amazing, but no Zelda coming soon, no great games or hit at the exception of Mario Kart 8 (never been a huge fan of Mario Kart).

And Wipe Out is nice… but definitely not the same feeling/touch/gameplay. I always have the feeling that in Wipeout your ships are light, floating and drifting too easily, where F-Zero cars had a more direct feel to it, more responsiveness. And that soundtrack…

#9 1 year ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

Quick!

Get some more good ideas in!

#10 1 year ago
  11. SplatteredHouse

@9 In Wipeout the crafts tend to glide above track surfaces, and contact is not advisable during races (typically, the aggressor of shunting will end up worse off.)
    As you say, the F-Zero ships hold greater traction to the track, and aren’t as easy to maneuver. Of course, you also tend to find the pack tending to be more like Nascar, to Wipeout’s F1 – and Wipeout has a greater level of emphasis on weapons and power-ups.
    I like both as they play very differently, but prefer Wipeout, overall.

#11 1 year ago
  12. dreamcastnews

F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Diddy Kong Racing – why aren’t they using those, all are under-used franchises and going by most of their Gamecube incarnations; would look stunning on Wii U.

#12 1 year ago
  13. sh4dow

Man… it’s a damn racing game!! How many ideas do you need? Just design new tracks and environments, revamp the car designs a little – bam!
    I very much doubt a racing fan would expect anything more than that. I certainly don’t. I was happy with basically all F-Zeros (although the original feels a bit slow once you’ve played the ones on N64 and GCN) and it wasn’t because of some fancy ideas but because of speeding down great tracks. Period.

#13 1 year ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

@12: DKR. Why would Nintendo build a Mario Kart competitor, and, with Sonic All-Stars series gunning for them both with all barrels blazing, do you suppose a Nintendo-led DKR sequel would have enough room and support to thrive?

On Wave Race, I was surprised to see the part of the Kinect Sports sequel, from Rare, that looked to be aping it (Microsoft’s terming it “wake racing” on the game’s info page! ) :/
    But, honestly, I think WR is better suited to a downloadable environment than full retail package.

#14 1 year ago
  15. dreamcastnews

Wave Race would work as an online game, free to play I reckon. Yes I honestly think Diddy Kong Racing could thrive in the genre, Sonic All Stars is a fantastic homage to Sega characters, Mario Kart the same for mostly Mario-universe characters, Diddy Kong Racing could be re-imagined as a Nintendo roster racer rather than just Mario cannon.

I can’t understand why that new Mario & Sonic 2014 game was announced, I was looking at it and thinking ‘damn, that should have been a 1080 game instead’

Another franchise Nintendo has that they should really do something with is Chibi Robo – there probably isn’t a better fit for the Wii U gamepad I reckon.

#15 1 year ago
  16. SplatteredHouse

Idea for F-Zero: track (surface) hazards – what do I mean? – for instance, If a track were constructed close to sea level, a hazard might be that you get waves naturally lapping across/over the track service at set intervals, leaving a sliding hazard in their wake.
    You wouldn’t be pushed off the course, or anything frustrating like that, which would detract from the racing, by the waves; but, you would need to acknowledge and adjust your “piloting” to account for the change.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Clupula

In all fairness to Miyamoto, the game doesn’t have Mario or Link in it, so it’s absolutely impossible to think of any ideas.

Maybe this is why they keep rehashing the same five franchises. Maybe what Nintendo needs is the old man to go out to pasture.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Joe Musashi

Give it to Platinum Games or Retro Studios. See what they come up with.

JM

#18 1 year ago
  19. dreamcastnews

@17 Nintendo would be rather foolish to not keep ‘rehashing’ those five franchises since they do decent enough numbers after all, it’s a business.

There’s still millions who do buy into Mario, Donkey Kong etc etc

#19 1 year ago
  20. dreamcastnews

@18 couldn’t agree more.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@19 – I just can’t help but remember back in the days when I actually wanted to own Nintendo systems and they had a huge, diverse portfolio of both first and third party games. Now, Miyamoto is obviously old and his creativity is waning, so he sticks with this “Michael Jackson of Gaming” thing he’s got going on, instead of branching out beyond their meager offerings or, gasp, making something new.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Sini

Instead of stages, make open futuristic fzero city like in new need 4 speed or burnout games.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

I think a lot of people are missing the main point here… its an issue of whether it will sell.

Nintendo is more than willing to rehash ideas, but only as long as they know it will sell a craptonne (see: New Super Mario games). Unless they can come up with something inventive though, there’s really no real point in just rehashing something for the sake of rehashing it.

I will never understand why people want to play the same experiences over and over again…

#23 1 year ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

@Michael
    COD says hello :D

#24 1 year ago
  25. Froseidon

@Ireland – To be honest, we haven’t seen a console F-Zero since the Gamecube, so I’m pretty sure selling it shouldn’t be an issue, there is a demand for it after all. People wanted an F-Zero shown at E3.

#25 1 year ago
  26. dreamcastnews

@21 to be fair though, chances are when you last wanted a Nintendo console it was back in the 16-bit era right? The thing is, back in the Nineties the landscape of competition was so much more different, Sony were about to enter, MS were still selling PCs and Sega were Nintendo’s main competition.

Back then we didn’t really have the content that MS and Sony deliver, even when Nintendo were up against Sega you could see Sega had more of an edge like Sony do these days, created risky new IPs and publishing the occasional curio. I guess what I’m saying is; most people who now own an Xbox or PlayStation would most likely not return to Nintendo regardless of new ideas.

Nintendo play is safe, there’s nothing particularly wrong with that as long as the software sells in the volumes it has without a downward trend, let’s not forget MS have a handful of SKUs that they pump out annually and Sony’s risktaking on IP rarely takes off and if it does you can expect a trilogy of particular IP per format. I fully expect Last of Us to spawn some sequels on PS4 since that was really well received. It’s just the way of the industry everything is a re-hash in some way or another.

#26 1 year ago
  27. dreamcastnews

I get what everyone is saying here though, and we can all agree; Nintendo have enough dormant IP to resurrect instead of New Super Mario Bros (the worst offender in my eyes)

#27 1 year ago
  28. Digital Bamboo

I think Miyamoto’s overthinking this one. As others have said, bring it to HD, throw in a bunch of batshit crazy 3D anti-gravity new tracks & include some classic ones.

As for keeping it interesting, make the machines upgradable, include a track editor, add online multiplayer, introduce a weapons-mode.

I would buy it.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Ireland Michael

@24 Exactly.

@25 There is a cult demand for it at best, I’d say. Probably nowhere near enough to make a profit. Did you know Fire Emblem was at risk of being put to rest if it didnt sell enough?

Nintendo seems to have two approached to their releases. Keep rehashing and remaking successful titles, but try to keep the mechanics unique and original when bringing out new games.

Nintendo only has so many development studios to work with, New games take *years* to make and polish. Gamers nowadays digest content much faster than they could ever hope to keep pace with.

This is why I held onto my Wii while many other were selling them due to a “lack of titles”. It might have taken six months or more between great releases, but god knows they were good enough to be worth the wait.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Froseidon

@29 – Yeah, I found out about the Fire Emblem game shortly after I bought Awakening. Really glad it didn’t, I love that game series.

Also, on your Wii mention, I sold mine, which was a mistake as then a load of games came out for it that I really wanted. Although, that just made the Wii U all the more viable for me due to its backwards compatibility. I shaln’t make the same mistake and sell my Wii U :P

Its sad that people don’t give Nintendo chance, I know their games take a while, but at least they’re finished on release and relatively bug free, unlike most games we see nowadays.

I feel that once the Wii U picks up (which should be somewhere in 2014 hopefully) then maybe they should consider F-Zero, and hype F-Zero a fair bit, then it’ll hopefully make sales, like an E3 2014 announce.

#30 1 year ago