Destiny loot system designed to combat thieves, says Bungie

Friday, 21st June 2013 12:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny is an FPS that exists within a persistent online world, so naturally like all MMOs there’s a window for loot thieves to roll and steal the goods from right under your nose. That won’t happen in Destiny, developer Bungie has explained.

Speaking with Polygon, Bungie COO Pete Parsons revealed that Destiny players will have what he referred to as ‘private loot streams’, meaning that drops you earn are yours and yours alone.

How it works in practice is, anything you specifically earn cannot be picked up by other players, and that players won’t be able to pick up objects intended for any character class other than their own.

Parsons also explained that weapons will follow a ranked system in Destiny, and that players will build up an arsenal of increasingly badass firearms as they progress.

Are you glad that loot thieves will be given the boot in Destiny? Let us know below.

Thanks MP1st.

1. tezzer1985

Really looking forward to Destiny

2. dOoKxZr

That seems like an ok idea but not being able to pick up other class items is silly unless there isn’t going to be an economy ?

3. The_Red

So wait. Is Destiny an MMO or isn’t? Because if it is, it will be off my radar (HATE the MMOs with a passion).

4. Fin

It’s a hybrid.
    You’re totally right to dismiss a game that looks good based on its genre alone btw. Totally.

5. Citrus raptor

That’s exactly why Bungie is avoiding the term ‘mmo’. It is one in the sense that it’s a massive multiplayer online game, but that’s just a broad term. It doesn’t play like the games that are usually branded with the term/genre ‘mmo’. It plays like Halo in an array of huge enemy-filled worlds/levels, through which various parties of other players run seemlessly; because of their matchmaking system.

6. Erthazus

‘private loot streams’

Depends on the balance really. I hope that they will balance the loot system that if you killed a boss in the instance, there is a chance that not everyone get’s the item because if everyone will have “Super-Blaster 9000″ then it’s crap.

@3, It’s a MMO but not in the traditional way. Why you hate it? What the element of it you hate?
    Destiny is a mmo but it is a mmo because a lot of people play it and see each other and interact. If that’s what you hate than, it’s not for you.

you have a gigantic city where you see people all the time, you go to the mission and it’s your instance and the system matches with some people around you and you can go with them and complete a certain objective.

7. Ireland Michael

@6 So its Halo with a hub area?

Pass.

8. Erthazus

@7, If that’s it. It’s a pass for me too Michael.
    But mechanics so far are not really Halo-ish. Somewhere in the middle.

and Halo in it’s level design is a linear experience. This one is open-world and you can explore the universe. There will be random events like in Guild Wars game where some people can join without matchmaking process. You can decide whenever you want to join the event or not.

So it’s similar to Guild Wars 1 with Guild Wars 2 event mechanic.

9. Citrus raptor

@7 More like several hub areas with a light version of Halo’s shoother mechanics. Only one of them is a city (‘The last city’).

Think of it as taking a level from Halo, but opening it up, making it somewhat open-world. Fill them with cinematic events here and there, and tons of enemies. Now scatter these levels about the solar system; some on Earth, some on Mars, our moon, etc.

In this one can spawn one’s own vehiculs at any given time, similar to how it’s done in Defiance.

10. Cobra951

The stink some Borderlands-2 players made over the lack of private loot streams is what alerted me that this was an issue. I’m not into mmo-style games at all. So, personally, I don’t care. But if it makes a large segment of gamers happy, why not?

11. Ireland Michael

@9 So its Halo with multiple hub areas then?

Huge pass.

12. The_Red

Yes, I do dismiss games based on genres. Everybody does that (I don’t know a gamer who likes RPGs, FPS games, Text Adventures, Sports, Driving Simulations, Arcade racers, RTS games, Platformers and Fighting games at the same time, we all have our preferences based on genre. MMOs, sports games and simulations are not fun for me :) ).

@5 & @6
    If it can be played as a singleplayer experience that requires online connection, the FUCK NO I’m not touching it. I have played a bit of popular MMOs but will not touch a singleplayer game with always-online DRM, pretending to be “social and connected” experience. Steam is my limit for DRMs.

13. lookingglass

Destiny is going to kick ass. How can it not? Bungie and Activision are throwing the bank at it.

I am worried that they are trying so hard to steer clear from the term MMO though. I know among the uber shooter d00ds there’s probably a stigma that MMO’s are for nerds, so I hope it’s just PR. If this turns out to be mostly single player, no economy, no social hub, and missing the other things that make MMOs awesome, I will be disappointed.

14. Ireland Michael

@12 “I don’t know a gamer who likes RPGs, FPS games, Text Adventures, Sports, Driving Simulations, Arcade racers, RTS games, Platformers and Fighting games at the same time…”

I hate to be that guy, but… *raises hands*

15. Citrus raptor

You can play it alone offline, as far as I know. (Joseph Staten said so in both an interview with Gamereactor, and one with Sessler).

Just curious, how did you think it would be, and how would you want it to be?

16. Samoan Spider

@12 I’m with #14 here, I have to say that’s me too. I have pretty broad tastes with games. Of course I have preferences (FPS and RPG) but I will play almost anything.

17. The_Red

@14 & 16
    Wow
    And I thought I had a broad taste (Playing any and everything outside sports / simulation / MMO). Game on my friends :)

Thanks for the info. If that is truly the case, then I’m on board. The game look like a more fun version of Borderlands with better combat. Just hope they don’t do a half-finished ending and leave everything to the 1023123 DLC packs.

18. Citrus raptor

At this point it’s near impossible to know how the story is structured, but I think it’s fair to say that it might not end at the first game, they are after all planing for the series to last ten years. Each part might however have a satisfying conclusion. Bungie got a lot of negativity from Halo 2′s cliffhanger ending, so they might not dare do that again.

EDIT: Oh, and if the leaked Activision documents have any truth in them, Destiny might be structured the following: Destiny 1, Comet 1, Destiny 2, Comet 2— and so on until 4. Fans have theorised that Comet is an expansion that moves the Traveler to the next playing field, and with it the players.

19. Ireland Michael

@15 “Just curious, how did you think it would be, and how would you want it to be?”

By not being Halo with a skin change, for a start.

@17 Variety is the spice of life.

The more diversity you’re willing to have, the more options you get to enjoy. Now, rehashing the same things over and over again, that’s another matter entirely.

20. Citrus raptor

But, you know, they have ‘space magic’ instead of grenades… :P

I’d guess there’s about as much a difference between Marathon and Halo as there is between Halo and Destiny.

21. LordDjinn

The game will be amazing.. period..

22. BrahManDude

is still want to see more im not sold yet but the only thing bothering me is the art direction it’s just not that appealing to me

23. DSB

The thing that turned me on about Destiny was that it didn’t look like Halo.

It remains to be seen what the MMO part is gonna consist of, but I reckon you’ll have a hub where everyone can congregate (maybe according to segmented realms) and then you can team up there and head out for an instance that has a mission or PVP or something like that, and then that’s limited to your team, or teams.

It looks that way to me, and that’s cool. If we could have coop “singleplayer” style experiences and be playing them with friends, then I don’t see how that’s not an improvement.

@10 It’s absolutely essential for drop-in multiplayer. I can’t believe that Gearbox left it out for Borderlands 2. If you’re playing with x number of strangers, you don’t want to be argueing about loot.

24. Ireland Michael

@23 “The thing that turned me on about Destiny was that it didn’t look like Halo.”

Really? Because the fact that it looks so much like Halo is what turns me *off* it.

25. Rosseu

I was never fond of the art style of Borderlands, or the setting. I’m going to give this a try, I just hope my shitty internet can take it.