Xbox One’s DRM u-turn: thank Sony, not the core

Thursday, 20th June 2013 09:15 GMT By Patrick Garratt

“The internet” is currently involved in a frenzy of self-congratulation over Microsoft’s abandonment of Xbox One’s various DRM restrictions. We did it, the Ouroboros cries. Actually, you didn’t. Sony did.

Following The Great E3 Press Conference Day of 2013, during which Sony mercilessly humiliated Microsoft in front of a Californian crowd of whoopers and wailers, I bumped into a senior developer on the Microsoft booth. The conversation immediately swung to the previous evening, and, thanks to the feverish reception of Sony’s performance, I was told of turmoil among the developers and publishers assembled in LA. Those that had sided with Microsoft were doing more than wobbling, he said. They were seriously questioning whether or not they’d backed the appropriate horse and were making instant moves to better engage with Sony. Microsoft’s policies had been well known for some time, but it was, in fact, the reaction to Sony’s E3 showboating that was forcing what appeared to be a movement in content to PS4. Remember, Microsoft didn’t even mention DRM or online check-ins in its press conference, a showing from which I’d left generally positive.

Later on in E3 week, the anecdotal evidence from retailers was piling up. The press conferences (which, for the record, gave us our biggest ever traffic day by a huge measure) had apparently exacted a real effect on PS4 and Xbox One pre-orders. Amazon, it was said, was anticipating shipping seven PS4′s for every Xbox One. One independent retailer, who I won’t name here, was claiming Xbox One pre-orders were down 40% while its PS4 allocation had vanished in a twinking. Gossip is as gossip does, but journalists ignore this sort of talk at their peril. This was not a normal situation. During many conversations I had with publishers, developers and retailers that week, it was generally assumed that Microsoft would have to backtrack on at least some of its DRM policies, such was the weight of negativity towards Xbox One. “I’ve never seen anything like it,” was a phrase heard many, many times over those days in and around the LACC.

Who was Microsoft listening to when it decided to abandon years of work last night? Was it listening to the publishers who were instantly threatening to pull exclusive content over to PS4? Was it listening to developers, teams petrified that Xbox One’s restrictive rights stance would create a spike on which their businesses would be skewered? Was it listening to independent teams, furious at their continued exclusion from the Xbox platform? Was it listening to the American military, a fervent supporter of Xbox in the past, now suitably dramatic over the “sin” of online check-ins? Was it listening to the words that came out of Don Mattrick’s mouth when he said you can use an Xbox 360 if you don’t have an internet connection?

“We did it.” Francis, as ever, is required viewing.

Or was it listening to the forum legions and their tedious vitriol? Did internet discussion really kill the Xbox One DRM dream?

It would be foolish to say the hardcore didn’t have a part to play in what happened yesterday, but it would be well to remember that those conferences were watched by millions of people who wouldn’t know what VG247 or CVG or Kotaku or Reddit was if it walked up and blackened their eye. Microsoft’s DRM policy was unpopular among games site communities before E3, but the situation wasn’t exposed to the mainstream until Jack Tretton’s unforgettable pro-gamer slides in the PS4 press conference. The hilarious truth is that Microsoft was listening to Sony, was listening to approval for PS4 and what it could mean for Xbox in financial terms. Sony was driving the Xbox team into a situation where it was sure to launch with little momentum, a disastrous state of affairs endured by PS3. You can thank Sony’s aggression at E3 for Microsoft’s prostration yesterday. Maybe PlayStation’s passion for slamming Xbox’s head into the kerb was a little too ebullient. If Sony hadn’t been so bloodthirsty, we would never have seen the intense anti-Xbox reaction over E3 week or the subsequent pre-order shifts. And, in all likelihood, we would never have seen Microsoft change its DRM stance on Xbox One.

You didn’t do it. Sony did.

1. mistermogul

No Pat you’re wrong. It was me that convinced them with my comments!

;)

2. Patrick Garratt

:D

3. CyberMarco

Here they come!

4. MidlifeAxe

“WHAT, are you stoopid? I DID IT. I DID IT WITH MY RAGING FOR DAYS AND DAYS IN THESE COMMENT SECTIONS!!!111″

But no, I very much agree.

5. Ireland Michael

It was people’s reactions to Microsoft’s horrible DRM revelations that convinced Sony to make such an in-your-face statement about anti-DRM policies in the first place.

I felt very tempted to go on a rant about shitty journalism practises just now… but you know what? I really can’t be fucking arsed. Sites are going to do this sort of shit anyway. It sure reminds me why I quit though.

6. Bomba Luigi

Yupp, Sonys role in this was the Most Important in my Opinion, because it gave the People a Option to choose. But however, it still needed the People to choose this Option to make this Work, so the People in the Shitstrom where Important too.

7. diggidy

thanks sony

8. Joe Anderson

Agreed #sonypower

9. ayman03

He is right Sony did it

10. demondownload

If “the core” hadn’t posted on forums, Twitter, Facebook pages and hundreds of other places for developers and publishers to see, they wouldn’t have been worried about “backing the wrong horse”.

If “the core” hadn’t cancelled Xbone pre-orders and depleted stock allocations on the back of the Sony conference, then retailers wouldn’t have had any concerns about the situation.

If “the core” had seen Sony’s conference and shrugged, indifferent, then Microsoft wouldn’t have changed anything.

Sure, Sony’s conference was the spark – but “the core” was the fuel.

11. NinjaHart

Well Pat, I’m not saying that Sony didn’t tip it over. But do you think Sony would have been THAT bloothirsty if the gamers around the world never had complained about it?

I think not. Sony did in fact have a DRM system ready for PS4, they noticed the crowd reactions to MS’ DRM and they made a choice to go the other way. If nobody had ever complained, we probably would have DRM on both systems.

So I do belive that the gamers made such an impact, that Sony choosed to use that to fule their campaign against MS.

So to say that gamers around the world didn’t do it is wrong in my opinion. I think we started it all, but Sony put the finishing touch on it.

But that is only my opinion tho.

12. Djoenz

FrancisO is that you in the vid? :P

13. FrankWhite

I don’t quite understand this thinking. We, the gamers, are the central piece of both Sony’s positive reception and MS’s negative reception. The reception for Sony was that much louder because of our contempt for the Xbone. You seem to want to diminish the efforts of people who expressed their criticisms of the Xbone, yet you say that the cheers of those very same people for Sony’s conference are the catalyst for this policy change.

14. manamana

Actually I think it was both parts in the mix. I agree with demondownload.

15. diggidy

It wasn’t Sony, it was the one-armed man

16. ShakaCarnage

Word, Pat. Word.

17. Ireland Michael

@13 There isn’t any. It’s called a flame-baiting article.

It seems to be VG247′s new raison d’etre.

18. Irani

SONY GO TO HELL

19. silkvg247

I will be thanking Sony with my wallet. As soon as the ps4 psplus has decent freebies I’ll sub to that as well.

20. Froseidon

Sense is being spoken on the internet. Get your supplies, the apocalypse is coming!

21. Kanok

Thank you Sony and i also support you too.

22. Jogo

What’s wrong with vg247 lately tryin to upset people, or rather be attention seekers by forcing a controversial opinion?

@Pat: You really think if Sony would have had the same DRM as Microsoft people wouldn’t have raged on the internet, and microsoft/Sony wouldn’t have considered droppin’ it?

THE MAIN POIN T IS: SONY DID GO AWAY FROM DRM BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE DISAGREED WITH IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! They definetly had planned with it too! IT WAS US THE GAMERS ALL ALONG.

Because we pay the developers, not sony or microsoft.

-Jgo

23. Ireland Michael

@22 Its easy traffic.

Who needs to bother doing actual research and journalism when you can just create a sensationalist headline and make sweeping generalisations and broad judgements, knowing full well that it will get a negative reaction out people?

Being spat on doesn’t seem to stop people visiting though, does it?

Welcome to modern journalism, Hope you enjoy the ride.

*shakes head and walks away*

24. OmegaSlayer

Sony is the leader.
    Microsoft follows.

I’m not the kind of guy that loves to follow who follow someone else.

25. Pytox

I bet it wasnt Sony but Microsoft shareholders

26. Dave Cook

@22 There’s no agenda for VG247, this is an opinion blog. It’s Pat’s opinion only.

@23 No, it’s called a pressing issue. It demands to be discussed, and I agree with him in most parts. PS4 looked like they were going to utterly destroy Microsoft in next-gen if it kept its Xbox One policies intact.

It really irks me when we get accused of cheap traffic-baiting stories, because – and you guys won’t see this as it’s behind the scenes – we decide not to report on many stories out there because they’re cheap as fuck.

Example: http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-is-terrible-on-google-amazing-on-bing-256585.phtml

So know that we could be a lot worse, but we choose not to be.

27. Lengendaryboss

Oh Pat great article, really brings in people who disagree :P

28. Ireland Michael

@26 And it does it in the most insulting, way possible.

This isn’t a cheap traffic baiting story, I agree. It’s an opinion piece that just so happens to be written in a deliberately condescending fashion. Pat’s no amateur. He knows full well the reactions he’s going for.

VG247 of late seems to think that broadly insulting everyone and talking down to them is the necessary way to write most opinion pieces. It’s getting tiresome. I don’t come here to be spoken down to, but it seems to be something that’s just considered acceptable now.

Of course, Da Man is still allowed to post after years of harassing people, so I guess I really shouldn’t be all that surprised.

@Destructoid link, Well, yeah, but that’s Jim Sterling. The man’s work is worth less than trash.

29. js779

I guess the whole thing should teach every fanboy one thing: Every business needs competition as some form of self-regulation.

30. viralshag

MS just proved how easy it is to do a U-turn on policies. If you really think that Sony had no intention of following similar DRM steps, you’re being somewhat deluded. Considering they still said “it’s up to publishers” just like MS, both companies would have been in the know about DRM decisions.

Sony saw a great opportunity to play to the crowd at E3 and they took it, that was good for them and it’s good for gamers. Just like this change from MS, it will be good for them and again it’s good for gamers.

31. Dave Cook

@28 that’s Pat’s choice man, it’s an opinion piece. We all would have worded it differently.

“VG247 of late seems to think that broadly insulting everyone and talking down to them is the necessary way to right most opinion pieces.”

I couldn’t disagree with that more, sorry.

32. Ireland Michael

@31 Of course it’s his choice. As it is Brenna’s as well.

I simply find it an insulting and condescending one.

33. ShakaCarnage

@26 Word, Dave. Word.

Most of the rest: VG247 is the number one source for news in the UK for a reason – and that’s down to hard work, not sensationalism.

34. Dave Cook

@32 When Brenna said everyone is going to buy an Xbox One, she didn’t literally mean everyone. But are you telling me that all of the naysayers out there weren’t going to eventually crack and buy one despite their complaints?

It’d be madness to assume they wouldn’t That was her point, and it was made heavy-handedly, but because some folk were being massive hypocritical about the issue.

We have our opinions, you have yours, but it’s wrong to tag personal opinion pieces as a blanket site-wide policy. We don’t speak for each other in our blogs. I have to make that explicitly clear,

Now, I have a ton of work piling up. I’ll leave you with the above.

35. NinjaHart

@31 So what is your opinion about this? Do you agree that the core didn’t do anything in this matter, that all credit is due to Sony?

Or do you credit the core for actually fuling Sony as I said in my opinion on post @11?

36. Crasto

why the hell would “millions of people who wouldn’t know what VG247 or CVG or Kotaku or Reddit was if it walked up and blackened their eye” even watch the E3 live to begin with!?
    since when anybody but the core audience gives a damn about e3 live shows?

37. Dave Cook

@35 I genuinely think it’s a cocktail of factors:

-Publisher’s reaction to the differences between Xbox One and PS4 policies (as Microsoft loves its big-money pubs)
    -The fan backlash which was entirely warranted IMO
    -Yes, Sony is Microsoft’s key competitor in the console space. Why it *wouldn’t* look at what its doing and try to combat its strategy is beyond me. Of course this was a big factor, and while I’d say -personally – that publisher pressure probably came first, I still think PS4 comes ahead of what the public thought.

In short, Microsoft has listened to us yes, but not before hearing what publishers and Sony had to say.

38. Jogo

Again, If peope wouldn’t have stormed against DRM for years and against Microsofts DRM Sony would have DRM too. So how was it not the people winning this? EXPLAYIN THAT, whoever tries too!

The opinon couldn’t be more wrong and there is really no argument for it.

39. manamana

The Dtoid linked article may be cheap as feck but it’s a fact.

40. majicship

I agree with Pat. Sony did it. MS doesn’t give a shit about what ‘the core’ thinks. It was scared that it would lose sales to PS4. A company such as MS doesn’t listen to reason; it listens to forecasts. Sony spanked MS at E3 and as such it had to do something to get back in the game. If it wasn’t for Sony at E3, this would never have happened.

41. zme-ul

EA removed their OnLine passes because of who? Sony? MS?!
    neah! because of the consumer

did MS lost because of Sony? NO! Sony was forced to adopt it’s stance because of the consumer
    neither Sony nor MS cannot sell to each other, they need people – consumers

even on PC, there are strong hints Valve might allow game sharing via STEAM, who did they feared? MS, Sony? No! still the consumer

if Sony would’ve not adopted it’s policy and went with a similar DRM as MS, would the thing be different, would’ve we witness the 2nd crash of gaming industry in history? we might never know

but I know this – both MS and Sony felt the cold steel of the sword

DRM is bad and MS learned it the hard way

42. Ireland Michael

@34 Im saying people can write articles without making indirect broad generalisations that paint everyone with the same brush constantly. It’s the definition of tabloid, pointing the fingers and shifting blame.

“But are you telling me that all of the naysayers out there weren’t going to eventually crack and buy one despite their complaints?”

Yes, I am.

This wasn’t just a vocal minority screaming at Microsoft… the entire gaming culture was up in arms in hatred at Microsoft’s DRM policies, and I fully believe almost every person (myself included) would have been more than willing to leave them in the dust. Microsoft completely abandoning its DRM pretty much proves it.

“But it’s wrong to tag personal opinion pieces as a blanket site-wide policy.”

I believe you that it isn’t, but its becoming frequent enough to sure as hell feel like it is.

43. marijn1979

I have to partially agree with Ireland here. I don’t think the site decides its editorial policies on the number of clickthroughs it’s likely to generate, but I do think that Patrick and Brenna’s opinion pieces are, more often than not, examples of kneejerk journalism (unresearched, superficially-thought-through opinion pieces).

My particular beef with this and other articles by these two is the tone: the central point, that Sony’s PR and policy decisions forced Microsoft to make these changes, is worth making, but it completely glosses over the fact that these decisions (AND the subsequent mainstream coverage) were informed by the core’s reaction to XBox 180′s DRM policies. Sony saw a competitive advantage, and they took it, but they wouldn’t have succeeded to such a degree if the core wasn’t already in a vocal frenzy. So yes, in fact, indirectly, the core did force Microsoft to turn their policies around.

That I personally dislike Pat’s and Brenna’s output is no reason not to publish them, of course (hey, it’s Patricks site, he can do whatever the hell he wants with it) – I can always avoid their articles and read the rest of the excellent content.

44. Jogo

@37 And publishers and Sony were all just listening to what people said.

They still would have loved the DRM it was the people that made them go away from it.

Or did they think by themselves: Hm maybe we don’t make money from used sales and just keep it like that because we like it better.

45. G1GAHURTZ

I agree with Michael O’Connor.

46. Ireland Michael

@45 I just had surgery yesterday. I don’t need a heart attack to go along with it.

Wait… too late…

*has a heart attack*

47. NinjaHart

@37 I agree with that, but I also think that Sony might have gone “harder” on Microsoft when they had the core behind them.

If the core wasn’t so much against the Microsoft policy, I don’t think Sony would have taken as many actions to top and humiliate Mircosoft.

But of course, what your competitors does will always be the key factor to how you should attack the market. I just feel that Sony used the core as fuel in this battle.

48. ShakaCarnage

@42 – the entire gaming culture was up in arms?

Approximately 90% of uk gamers don’t read any form of specialist gaming website.

49. Dave Cook

@39 it’s not a fact. I tried it and it didn’t work for me.

@42 “Yes.”

Well we’ll just have to both politely disagree on that one. It’s the same as people bitching about paid micro-DLC in CoD and then lo and behold, every bastard’s running around with bacon on their guns, but on a grander scale.

Scenario: Halo 5 launches, all the Halo fans who decided not to buy an Xbox One suddenly get one as the hype factor takes hold.

Are you saying this wouldn’t have happened? (not saying you ARE saying that, I’m just keen for your view)

“Personally, I’m starting to get sick of being talked down to in every second article.”

And that is fair enough. Personally it’s not a tone I’d take, but as I say, we’re all different here with our own views. But it’s not every second article, or a blanket-wide policy. Those are the believes that annoy me (again, not saying you alone are accusing us of this).

50. Ireland Michael

@48 Hence why I said gaming culture. Active gamers. I hesitate to use phrases like “hardcore” because that implies some kind of obsession. It’s purely anecdotal as well, but almost every casual gamer I know (the ones who don’t read specialist media) even knew about this, and hated.

Microsoft obviously has figures for this sort of stuff. They wouldn’t have completely ditched the DRM otherwise.

“It’s the same as people bitching about paid micro-DLC in CoD and then lo and behold, every bastard’s running around with bacon on their guns, but on a grander scale.”

An entire console is not comparable to minor DLC, if only as a matter of the insane price difference. Microsoft would not have ditched their DRM if the complaints weren’t have a *huge* impact on their sales projections.

“Personally it’s not a tone I’d take.”

And I’m enter a lot grateful for that fact. I’d be severely disappointed if you started resorting to such cheap tactics in your writing. I respect your work too much to want to see that happen.

51. Jogo

VG247 since years is the best place for videogame news culture, etc.. People here just voice there opinon too because they want it to stay like that. Alot of gaming news sites have gone down…

There is no hate, just a big disagree.

Please explain me why Pat put this article up? Is he upset about gamers? Why does he think this opinion is important enough for all the readers of vg247 to read? What is this article trying to achieve? Let people feel bad?

Its just so very wrong in its opinon and in its intention.

People feel alienated as gamers.

52. Dave Cook

@50 It’ll never happen, not ever I assure you. I can’t talk down to you as I’m one of you – a gamer born and bred. I talk with my fellow gamers, not *at* them.

53. Dave Cook

@51 he’s not having a go at gamers, he’s saying that when Microsoft decided to change its policy the opinion of gamers was at the bottom of the company’s priority list. They changed their tune to match Sony, not our expectations.

54. Belmont

I can’t agree more.

I understand the point. If Sony hasn’t moved so strongly against Micro, Xbox could have continued persisting on its DRM and perhaps be successful and attract the gamers again because of the content on offer.

However part of the reaction comes from the frequency of the recent articles on VG247 that seem to rely too heavily on riding the currents in the net. Brenna’s article on why we will buy an X1 even with all the DRM, It was such an article.

55. redwood

more flame bait articles :( .. and cliffy , and cloud.. what’s happening to vg247 :(

56. Dave Cook

@55 nothing is happening. It’s an opinion piece, as was Brenna’s. It’s not a site-wide policy. Chill :)

57. Jogo

If it was clearly pointed out as just an opinion, no problem.
    Something like: “this is just my opinon”, does wonders and makes you look reasonable and down to earth.

58. G1GAHURTZ

@46:

No, I’m serious.

VG247 can be Guardian/Independent at times, but since E3, it’s been Daily Mail/Daily Star.

There must be something in it if you and me are thinking along the same lines…

Looks like the increased traffic altered people’s intentions.

59. tenthousandgothsonacid

Hey lolconnor – your attitude sucks. This site has stood up for you over the years and banned people who were arguing with you and now you’re throwing a hissy fit at Pat !?!

The amount of times you’ve threatened to leave and then come back and start moaning again is becoming tiresome at best.

Please put up or shut up.

60. Dave Cook

@58 “Looks like the increased traffic altered people’s intentions”.

Totally incorrect man, and I’m surprised at his accusation. The traffic comes during E3 anyway, it happens every year.

Once more, explicitly (not that you’ll believe me cause I’m a games writer, therefore I must be lying or corrupt and well, fuck me, right?)

-There is no agenda
    -We aren’t in it for cheap hits, and never have been
    -Pat and Brenna’s pieces were opinion blogs and were not reflective of the site’s stance.
    -I don’t know how much clearer I can make this.

61. BreakAtmo

“The Great E3 Press Conference Day of 2013″

Not bad, but I still call it the Red E3. :D

62. Jogo

The whole piece of opinon is just so plain wrong in fact.

Just please explain one thing:

You didn’t do it. Sony did.

How did sony not do it because of the gamers opinions voiced about the issue?

63. Jogo

@60:

“-The above article suggests that Microsoft listened to gamers LAST when deciding to drop DRM – behing publishers and Sony. It does not slam gamers, it slams Microsoft for not really listening to you at all.”

NO that is not true.

This is the last sentence of the article: You didn’t do it. Sony did.

64. Lengendaryboss

Give it up Dave you can’t win :) Come to the darkside :)

65. redwood

@Dave am chill man.. I love you guys…. just too much cloud-nonsense lately, I guess that’s what happens when a marketing goliath like microsoft starts to go in full swing.
    And I just can’t take that tard cliffy anymore :(…

anyway.. am cool.
    R.E.S.P.E.C.T

66. Dave Cook

@63 That’s one and the same man.

“Sony persuaded Microsoft to change its policies ahead of gamers”
    “You didn’t do it. Sony Did”

Same sentiment, different wording.

This wall I’m banging my head off is turning into rubble. I better stop.

67. Dave Cook

@65 R.E.S.P.E.C.T back atcha :)

68. OmegaSlayer

What’s all the fuss.
    It’s obvious that different people have different perspectives, some resonate more some less.

When I check a piece here the first thing I check is the writer.
    If it’s Brenna’s I stay away a million miles

69. Ireland Michael

@60 Dave, we know. We get it.

People don’t think this is becoming a policy, or an agenda. Just that this whole “No, gamers, YOU are wrong” thing is way too common lately and is getting a little more than a tad tiresome to read.

Sony reacted to *our* reaction to Microsoft, and Microsoft not only reacted to Sony’s announcements, but to gamers as well.

I’m not talking about a few retweets here. I’m talking about getting the DRM message out to other people, refusing to pre-order the machine, telling Microsoft themselves, and flat out refusing to support the machine. I have been gaming for 25 years, and I’ve *never* seen a campaign against one company come even close to the amount of pressure Microsoft has received in the last few months.

Developers and publishers spend all their time chasing a casual market that doesn’t care. I’m one of the few gamers that strongly believe that it is, in fact, the core gamer that keep this hobby going, and make the big successes to successes they are.

Without us, Borderlands and Red Dead Redemption would have been “sent to die”. Without us, League of Legends would be have been some obscure niche title that never took off. Without us, Minecraft would be an unplayed experiment in some neckbeard’s dingy basement.

Without us, Microsoft would be galloping through the industry with his draconian DRM like a chariot on fire, proclaiming itself the one true bastion of gaming’s future.

Sony didn’t do it.

We did.

70. G1GAHURTZ

Once more, explicitly (not that you’ll believe me cause I’m a games writer, therefore I must be lying or corrupt and well, f**k me, right?)

Come on, Dave, that’s not what I said.

I’m just giving my honest opinion from what I’ve been reading recently, but that doesn’t mean that I think that you’re corrupt or a liar.

71. Jogo

Voicing opinon is ok but don’t be that aggressive Pat. That’s why people, “The internet”, is reasonably annoyed here.

We are directly being accused of well… actually thinking we achieved something!

-Thanks.

72. Jogo

@Dave

No problem with anything u said or did. Everything is cool, just not that article.

73. CyberMarco

If MS (or Sony) acted like this, people would be more happy to support them.

74. Debabrata Nath

This is just an opinion piece and should be treated as one. A person has every right to write an opinion piece and just because it doesn’t bode well with an opinion you tend to have about the same topic, doesn’t mean you should start coming up with conspiracy theories.

And it’s piece which is backed by logical facts. We all know if Sony didn’t really take advantage of the Xbox One’s restrictions and based their entire PS4 marketing campaign around it, emphasising how it’s taking a consumer-friendly approach and doing away with every restriction which the Xbox One had, it would be a given Microsoft wouldn’t have even bothered justifying themselves leave along taking such a u-turn.

Sony’s most viral video ever is the one which is directly making fun of the Xbox One’s policies.

Microsoft had to do something and they did, they responded to its direct competitor by compromising on their own visions just to ensure they don’t give them a total upper hand at launch.

Here’s a company doing away with everything they had planned for its console just to ensure its competitor doesn’t get to have a headstart by exploiting them.

If it wasn’t for Sony capitalizing to such an extent on the Xbox One’s policies, Microsoft wouldn’t do this.

Personally, I’m more dissapointed with Micrsoft than I was before. Now, not only have they lost my trust but also any respect I had for them as a company.

Instead of facing the challenges and pursuing its visions for the Xbox One, it gave in to the demands of the masses, willing to compromise on the very core of how the console was designed to be. Either that, or they were feeding us lies about how ‘crucial’ it was for the Xbox One to utilize all those features in order to thrive.

Either ways, we have a shady company willing to stoop down to any levels in order to one-up its competition.

I’m predicting a even worse shitstorm post-launch as most titles end up either suffering due to this or requiring an always-on connection anyways.

In short, sure, the gamers and their opinions had a role to play in this. But, Microsoft’s move was a direct response to the PR circus Sony’s been running for the past few weeks.

If you disagree with that, it’s fine. But, calling an opinion piece flaimbait is taking it too far. And after all these years, I really don’t think VG247 needs to do so in order to get a few more clicks.

75. Dave Cook

@70 “Come on, Dave, that’s not what I said.”

That wasn’t aimed at you man, sorry I should have been clearer :P

My bad.

76. sqoosh

So article writer – basically, you are saying “congratulations established gaming industry” and a big “f**k you” to gamers.

Nice way to treat your readership, VG247.

Unfortunately this is how protest works. Never stop protesting, despite various douches like Patrick Garratt telling you that your voice isn’t important and doesn’t matter.

When enough people care and it all comes together – things change.

Now, about that mandatory Kinect ………

77. tezzer1985

I’m getting both, as long as they both do well I’m ok with that

78. G1GAHURTZ

@75:

No worries.

79. Jogo

@Debabrata:

NOT flaimbait?:

“The Internet”
    “We did it, the Ouroboros cries”
    “the forum legions and their tedious vitriol”
    “You didn’t do it. Sony did.”

That is the only thing not ok with this article.

Nobody thinks vg247 is corrupt or lying.

80. NinjaHart

@Dave Cook

Well, I have said my opinion about this case. I tried to be respectful and neutral in my opinion. It was nice to hear your side of the story too, so maybe we will share opinions on other topics in the future.

Have a nice day. :)

81. Jogo

“Sony persuaded Microsoft to change its policies ahead of gamers”

Were is that sentence?

82. Lengendaryboss

I imagine Pat is in a closet right now openly weeping :D

83. Jogo

@topic

I guees Sony would even say:

You did it the gamers. We just listened because we need your money.

@offtopic

Articles just shouldn’t be that personal.

84. Fin

Without us, Borderlands and Red Dead Redemption would have been “sent to die”.

/eyeroll

Does anyone believe for a minute that games companies have any motivation other than profit?
    It’s not about gamers, it’s about money. Unhappy gamers == less profit. They’re not thinking “oh shit, gamers are sad and that makes us sad”, they’re thinking “sony’s going to have a bigger market share because of their approach, we need to change our approach”.

Get over yerselves.

85. viralshag

#84, +1

86. tommog

This is quite a bitter, foot-stamping tantrum of an article.

Sony only fisted MS in the first place, because of consumer outcry.

And after that, Microsoft was surely listening very closely to all the people saying the restrictions made Xbox One unbuyable. While at the same time keeping an eye on the dismal pre-order figures.

Sure, other factors were probably also at play, but in the end, mass resistance to buying a product will always influence the company selling it.

Gamers did it. And they’re rightfully happy with themselves. Don’t let that upset you so much.

87. MidlifeAxe

@84 +1

88. M. K.

I lol’d! Sure that this article wasn’t written by Brenna? :F

89. Jogo

anyways…love the site.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for all the years.

90. SplatteredHouse

@74: “This is just an opinion piece and should be treated as one.”
    Absolutely. If you get too caught up in things, sometimes you might not see the bigger picture, and yes, other people have opinions different to your own.

I really dislike this knee-jerk labeling as “click/flame-bait” for any piece that does not write in praise of consumers, dares to suggest that perhaps there are other factors at play, other perspectives to consider, in a given situation.
    My belief is that the Twitter users, Neogaf forum posters and other determined parties, they helped move the MS mountain. They helped a great deal. They lit a public fire under the issue, presented their case wide, and clearly, there was a unifying basis found from many people around what was acceptable – and Microsoft crossed beyond it.

I might not always like what I read in a VG247 article, but then again, I struggle to believe (much as I’m in opposition to publisher’s cloying embargo antics, specifically where they impact on a reporter/site’s ability to cover the content, or), that I would anymore welcome a case where VG felt obliged to pander, to maintain some absurd, clammy status quo.

I get a distinct sense of autonomy from VG247. It happens to write towards me, but doesn’t always write from my own perspective. I find that adds value, and I feel that I will typically get the writer’s impression and views. Simply that. Which is great. :)
    Readers are not always right, and its folly to try to kid ourselves otherwise.

91. Ireland Michael

@84 Uuuh… when did I ever say they didn’t?

That’s the funny thing about profit though… you need people to actually buy your product to make it.

Contrary to popular belief, there is most definitely such a thing as “bad publicity”.

I brought up Borderlands and Red Dead Redemption as examples because they were two very specific games that analysts expected to die quick and forgettable deaths due to not fitting into established, popular concepts… and proceeded to steamroll the market. They succeeded because they were the kind of unique and inventive experiences that *gamers* wanted.

@90 “My belief is that the Twitter users, Neogaf forum posters and other determined parties, they helped move the MS mountain”

Now… see… stuff like Twitter… that’s the kind of thing that *didn’t* have an impact. It takes no effort. It’s slactivism at its finest.

92. Irani

SHAME TO SONY

93. SplatteredHouse

@91 People were writing, personally, to parties that would be able to effect change on their behalf – THAT was explicitly the purpose of the initial uprising, from NeoGAF. Don’t start entering that slacktivism slur. It’s not appropriate. People used the tools at hand to attempt to effect change and inform.
    YES, I would grant you that there was a surge of retweeting and so on (an approach also holding the potential to encourage further crafted, considered messaging), but you’ll also find penned personal accounts of what the announced plans meant to people, as well as specifically directed comments. Your suggestion flies completely in the face of what took place.

94. ps3fanboy

sony got rid of xbones drm but micro$haft gave their pay2play online xboxlivegold gonorrhea to ps4…. so if there is any honest left in micro$haft they will undo it. ONLY THEN WILL THE XBONE BE TRULY FORGIVEN!

95. Ireland Michael

@93 I only called lazy stuff like retweeting on Twitter slactivism. It’s a lazy, non-committal way to try and feel part of something without having to take any sort of actual meaningful action.

I love when people take my words completely out of context and blow their meaning into something ten times worse than what I actually said.

If *you* took action, great. Just please don’t mistake the “retweet” or “share” button for “action”.

96. mistermogul

@95 – Dude whenever I see people arguing around here, it always involves you.

Why is that?

97. The_Red

Pat, thank you.
    Great read and very important point. As much as MS likes to say “Feedback Matters” they only cared to change things after seeing Sony’s stance and the benefits it gained.

Other sites have claimed that “INTERNET WON! WE WON!” but in truth, it’s just one big corporation being afraid from another big corporation stealing its thunder / money.

98. SplatteredHouse

“Now… see… stuff like Twitter… that’s the kind of thing that *didn’t* have an impact.”

Where’s the room for misinterpretation, there? There’s no mention of retweeting, either. Your comments sought to completely misrepresent the situation. You were trying to condescend.
    Neither of us mentioned “retweeting” as any distinction, until you introduced it whilst you backpedaled on your blunt statement.

99. sg1974

No no no Pat, it was all the Sony trolls’ fault. The *real* site owner said so.

100. Ireland Michael

@96 You have very, very selective vision.

@98 Twitter in general is just straight up slactivism, unless you actually have an account that is followed by tens or hundreds of thousands of people. Otherwise you’re just spitting in the wind. Retweeting is just one part of Twitter.

“I made a mountain out of a molehill, therefore you must be back peddling”. Your argument was lost the moment you started resorting to ad hominem remarks.

101. pg17

Sony said they choose their DRM policy at the last moment, probably after the xbox conference (not the E3 one, the reveal one) and the first returns of the core gamer community.

And contrary to what Brenna said in a previous article, we (the core gamers) value more than the average buyer to Microsoft and Sony. Why ? Of course their is the mass that buy an xbox, call of duty and fifa or madden. But that’s all ! Many of my friends who aren’t core gamers buy two games a year. Core gamer can buy 6 to 12 games a year ! We aren’t the masses that buy consoles, we are the masses that buy xbox live gold, that buy games along the years and support the market.

102. VibraniumSpork

Sure, thank Sony – they produced a product that’s really chimed with the gaming community and consumers in general. I’ve pre-ordered.

Also, however, take time to thank Microsoft’s Marketing department. Their abysmal handling is what’s really led to all this. Microsoft had some cool features that could have really spun a ‘bright side’ to the DRM worries but they fumbled and couldn’t communicate thing one with any worthwhile degree of clarity or lucidity. Well, apart from this massive great turnaround statement which is probably the most upfront, caveat-free communication yet received from Microsoft re: the XBone…yeah, way to go guy.

103. manamana

I’m almost shure Pat wanted to try the opposite of this article:http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-is-proof-that-speaking-out-can-ge-514433611. With a very true comment:”I’d imagine getting destroyed in Amazon preorders doesn’t hurt in getting the message across, either.”

104. Joe Musashi

Sorry, Pat must be wrong because only a few days ago, Microsoft / Major Nelson said that PS4 wont influence their approach with Xbox One.

Oooh.

JM

105. MegaGeek1

It’s so obvious you fools. It’s teh used books! Used books was the business model Sony was using to win the E3.

106. SplatteredHouse

Wrong, again. :( I criticised what you said, because it is factually inaccurate. I already indicated that I agree with part of your opinion that Twitter can encourage or enable people doing little to no effort to still “back” a cause or objective.

“Twitter in general is just straight up slactivism, unless you actually have an account that is followed by tens or hundreds of thousands of people. ”
    Or unless you write to (or your intention reaches the eye of) another who does have a popular page. Or multiple smaller ones that act as tributaries. It turns out that they share that view. and then, well, they write from their far more widely read account of and to numerous followers. It was somebody on NeoGAF that started the ball rolling.

107. harpwn

Consumers really are retarded sometimes…
    Digital resale has been set back another generation, hopefully they will try and bring it back at some point.

108. salarta

Pfft, while I still think it’s nice for there to be articles on the site that try to play a sort of devil’s advocate role pushing people to question and debate their given assumptions, I think the claim of this article is wrong as well.

Everything is tied together. What happens in one place affects another place affects another place, a constant and changing pattern.

We don’t know what Sony’s plans were for DRM before E3, but we do know what they were after the fact. We could pull in things like DRM patents Sony had filed and suggest they planned to use those patents, but in reality we have no confirmation of that. No, what we DO know is that Sony decided that not following suit on DRM with Microsoft was so important, it deserved both a HUGE showing at E3 and at least one video mocking the XBox One’s process just to further rub it in.

This happened because Sony listened to gamers, or “the core” as they’re called here. I guarantee that Sony would never have made their policies on ownership of games so up front and such a big deal if gamers had as little worth and impact on what these companies think and do as this article claims.

Now, let’s discuss the most critical component, that this article handwaves off: sales. Microsoft changed their policies. Question is, WHY would they change their policies? Saying it’s because they’re just that altruistic is a lie, flat out. We know very well from comments they made during E3 that the last thing they had on their minds was how consumers felt about the DRM. Was it video game publishers and developers deciding they backed the wrong horse and switched sides to Sony? Well okay then, if we go with that, then WHY did they feel that way? Because of Sony’s big show of not following in Microsoft’s footsteps? Okay then, why did Sony decide to make such a big show of it?

We get right back to where we started: the fans spoke, Sony listened, developers/publishers and/or Microsoft saw the big deal Sony made of the situation and decided to change course.

But wait. We’re not finished with this narrative. Microsoft didn’t come out the very next day and decide to change course, nor did they suggest anything in the media that they might be reconsidering their plans. In fact, in some cases they were insulting about concerns over the DRM, like Don Mattrick saying people that can’t go online should get an XBox 360. So, why would Microsoft change their tone, and even in their news release say they changed course from listening to the XBox community?

Sales numbers. Glossed over in the article, sales numbers showed massive backing for PS4 in the wake of E3, not even considering all the articles on the internet. Sony gave gamers what they asked for, and gamers responded by rushing to the PS4 with their preorders. We see here that gamers’ support for Sony’s support of gamers had a huge impact.

No matter how you slice it, no matter how you try to spin the tale, the fact of the matter is that it comes down to this. Microsoft tried to institute DRM policies on their new console. Gamers raged and made a huge campaign against those DRM policies. Sony saw the reaction of gamers, and considered it so important that they made it a highlight of their E3 showing. Sony’s highlighting of these matters made developers/publishers and/or Microsoft nervous about prospects for the XBox One. Sales figures from gamers confirmed any concerns they had. Microsoft reacted at the bare minimum to Sony’s E3 showing, which in turn was a reaction to gamer reaction to Microsoft’s plans, by listening to what gamers wanted.

This is not to suggest in any way that what Sony did was worthless. It was a huge thing. It was Sony showing support for gamers, and since the Wii U is dead in the water, Sony could have ignored the matter completely or worse, instituted many of the same policies themselves, feeling safe in the knowledge that it’s no different from what Microsoft had done. Instead, Sony decided to stick up for gamers. That should not be dismissed as unimportant.

Likewise, personally I don’t want to see gamers get big heads from this turn of events, expecting companies to bow to their every single demand. I think companies need to do a hell of a lot more listening than they have been, but I also fear that gamers, while not entitled like a lot of people claim, could BECOME entitled. I think we’ve already seen that going on as people deliberately seek to ruin companies and the lives of people in the industry as “punishment” for saying something they don’t like, or having done something in the past that was bad that they were already punished for. Yes, if someone says something insulting then they should be reprimanded and pushed to apologize, but they shouldn’t be forced out of the industry and rendered unemployable by an online lynch mob.

But with all that said, it’s, to put it mildly, bullshit to act like gamers had little to no say in Microsoft changing their DRM policies. That’s an outright lie. Gamers had a HUGE impact. To claim they didn’t, or to downplay gamers’ impact, is to purposely ignore the whole picture because you don’t like something about that picture and want to pretend it doesn’t exist.

Sony should be thanked for what they did, but they didn’t do it alone like this article tries to make it sound. They did it by supporting, and with the support of, gamers. If gamers had not reacted as they did, Sony would not have done what they did, cascading to Microsoft’s DRM policy changes.

109. salarta

I know I’m double posting, but by the way, Pat: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/20/xbox-one-uturn-was-microsoft-right

“In an editorial on news site VG247, veteran games journalist Pat Garratt relates the panic that swept through the games community in the wake of Sony’s display”

Congrats. I still think many claims and suggestions here are false, but it’s gotta be a good sign for you to get quoted in The Guardian. :)

110. Cobra951

“Amazon, it was said, was anticipating shipping seven PS4′s for every Xbox One.”

What is it we *didn’t* do again, Patrick? Did Sony preorder all its own PS4s too?

Clearly, Sony had a hand in it. Without providing a clear alternative to Microsoft’s power grab, we as consumers could not have been nearly as effective in voting with our money. But in the end, it comes down to what the masses will do. It would have been extremely foolhardy for Sony not to present a white-knight counterpoint to Microsoft’s villainy. It could even be argued that it was necessary as part of their fiduciary duty to their investors. It was the most obvious way to grab a huge chunk of the market, a chunk that *we*, the “Ouroboros”, would award them.

111. DSB

I think that’s assumption is bullshit.

It’s a cute chicken and egg proposition and all Pat, but Sony was never going to be buying consoles. We are.

Microsoft obviously took a look at the numbers. Every analyst I saw had them tracking at 20% behind Sony at launch, which would be a crippling prospect for a new gen, after Microsoft essentially won the last one, and as such had to be concieved as the frontrunner of this one.

Did Sony influence those numbers? Sure. But personally I’m not putting money down for a PS4 because I think Sony is great or because they’re doing “positively everything right”. I’m doing it because they’re doing fewer things wrong than Microsoft.

You can always argue whether it was the internet or the man on the street. The obvious answer is that it was both. Microsoft has been barraged across all media, from mainstream to niche, social to press media. There was no way they could hold up.

All Sony had to do was show up, and try to keep from fucking up half as bad as Microsoft.

112. NeutralBlade

Everyone had a role to play in this, but it was gamers that ultimately made it happen; because it was quite clear that people were intent on making the Xbone a failure, as it deserved to be with the Azure policies. Now, if gamers were indifferent to the new DRM policies, MS would be pressing forward with them as we speak.

Sony has a history of banking on the mistakes of their competitors, but back then, gamers didn’t have the same capacity to allow themselves to be heard; so when Sony banked on the mistakes both Sega and Nintendo made, then yes, it was them.

But in this day and age, I’d say that Sony was in the right place at the right time, and they sought to capitalize on Microsoft’s mistakes that were made clear by gamers. And while the war isn’t over, the consumers have certainly won this particular battle.

113. fearmonkey

I’m sorry Pat, but I disagree.

It’s the gaming community that reacted first which spilled over into the mainstream. The always on fiasco that came before was in Fox News, Forbes, AP, etc. Then the TV TV TV SPorts Sports Sports COD COD DOG baloney, which also inflamed opinion and spilled over. Then the stammering and lack of clarity regarding their polices spilled over as well, and lastly E3 where the gaming press and community chered Sony for not following suit.

Sony didn’t cause it, it was the gamers and the media which prompted Sony’s hand to not follow suit, which gained the admiration of the hardcore and noticed by the mainstream press, and snowballed into retail pre-orders.

The People started it, they made the difference, Sony was just the knife that cut and twisted as it went in, but the people were the ones that guided the blade.

114. Joe_Gamer

This makes me sad, I wanted to watch them BURN…

115. Rafa_L

I think people are missing the point of the article, people seem to think Patrick meant “sony fought for our rights”, it’s not that. The point is, if there was no competition, no console alternative, gamers could cry all they want, and Microsoft wouldn’t change policies.

116. salarta

@115: I think the point of the article was to suggest that gamers have almost no say in anything that happens to the industry they care so much about. I think the purpose was to say “It doesn’t matter how many millions of people think and feel the same way, your collective voice is worthless and companies can only be influenced by other companies.”

Pat tries to frame Microsoft’s reversal as entirely out of fear that video game publishers and developers would jump ship, and then handwaves off the importance of initial gamer backlash to Microsoft’s DRM plans by suggesting that what gamers said and did had absolutely no influence on Sony deciding to make the very concerns gamers voiced for weeks into the biggest moment of their E3 showing. He’s basically saying that sparks don’t start forest fires, only campfires start forest fires. Or alternately, that termites eating away at a house’s foundation doesn’t lead to its collapse, only the weight of the house itself does that and what the termites did was minor to irrelevant.

If he had framed the article as “Gamers should be more thankful and respectful toward Sony,” I’d agree with that completely, because Sony’s support of gamers made this happen. For all we know, if Sony followed Microsoft’s wake, we could have seen either several years of less than stellar performance or another video game crash before the mistake was corrected. Instead, the article was framed as that only what Sony said and did had value, and the gamers themselves are inconsequential, their input negligible.

It works well for a devil’s advocate sort of piece to make people think more about what they’re saying, but there are a lot of flaws there.

117. NeutralBlade

@116 In the past, I also felt that maybe publishers would choose the Xbone over the PS4, since at the time, there was DRM that could potentially make them more money. But then I realized, (before E3 week), that if MS in fact goes through with the Azure policy, it would choke their install base, therefore, making it struggle similar to the Wii U.

Then when the internet blew up over the official Azure policies, I knew for certain that any publisher that attempted to snub the PS4 over some extra change off used games, would essentially be committing financial suicide. There is no doubt in my mind, that publishers wouldn’t have had the balls to boycott the PS4, as it wiped the floor with the Xbone due to angry consumers.

As I said in another post, money talks, bs walks, and only those seeking financial ruin would do such a thing. Whhile there was a probable chance, it was flawed logic myself and others had; when it comes down to it, money rules over policy, because we can simply choose not to give it up. In this most recent case, MS had no choice, otherwise they faced impending failure due to corporate greed.

I bet their investors were going crazy after the Xbone’s DRM plans blew up in MS’ face, lol. I just hope MS doesn’t end up backstabbing everyone by reversing policy after they reach their install base goal. That certainly will be a class-action suit waiting to happen, regardless of MS trying to prevent such things in their T&As.

People tend to forget that the consumer has a choice not to buy a product, as well as have the right to voice their opinion and campaign against corporate greed. MS didn’t have much choice in the matter, and I’m sure they were scared because most consumers including their own install base for the 360, were ready to change allegiances and/or make sure they had the competitors’ consoles in their home; which also means less money for MS.

I just think in this day and age, people have a tendency to forget that yes, People Power still works; imagine that, lol.

118. sg1974

@108 Dude can I just have a precis of that? Or three or four bullet points? ;)

119. mikjoros

I think that Microsoft went in the right direction. I don’t think it was Sony that pushed them to pull a “180″ I think it was the world wide rant and complaints about how Microsoft failed or “Xbone” failed. We are in a digital age where everything you can think of is online or in digital format. I can see where having your xbox check in every 24 hours is tedious and annoying. If your xbox is connected to the internet whats the problem? But, if you don’t have a connection then I can see where the problem lies.

The whole DRM problem is not resolved, it is simply changed from lic restriction to whatever it was like on 360. I am a gamer through and through. I’ve been gaming on both sony and xbox since I can remember. Hell I remember when sega came out. Nintendo dominated the game cartridge scene. I am in no way a fan boy, I simply prefer xbox over playstation. There are a few console specific games I would like to go cross platform, but until game developers stop choosing sides we are in a bind to either go to a friends house and try it out to get our fix or buy a new system and start treating the games with respect and learning both console platforms. There are going to be pros and cons with each new gen consoles, but it is up to us the consumer to decide to just sit down and game on! email me if you have any questions,

120. mikjoros

I wonder if we will know the exact number of negative videos and comments and emails to microsoft.

121. zersus

Xbox fans should not forget to thank Sony, still the xbox will never ever see the inside of my apartment. I’m somehow glad microsoft did this, the marked need competition.

122. nitrofeen

I have to agree that all console gamers have sony to thank for microsofts decision.Yes gamers and pre-order sales played a big part to but in my opinion it all comes down to sony choosing not to follow microsofts drm policies. Microsoft was probably counting on sony to follow their lead with drm and it seemed that they might since they did suggest they would hae a smiliar drm poicy right before e3. Microsoft was banking on sony doing the same and putting blame on publishers but when sony didnt play their game it becomes hard to point the finger at publishers who almost all are making games on the ps4 also. I def will not buy a xobox one now b/c this change just proves to me that their always connected strategy for will allow for games only possible on the xbox one was just a lie to get us gamers to buy into their strict drm control policies. I mean cmon are they now going to cancel the games they claimed were being made possible by this strategy. No of course not and if the games needed the always online 24hr check in crap they wouldnt have changed their policy they would have stuck to their guns and proven the idea was a benefit.
    Sony does have a nice way to make digital better though and it doesnt force it on gamers. I love the idea of instant gameplay of downlaods and choosing to download multi-player first or downloading games from your phone so when you get home you can just play it.

123. noneyo_getit_0011232

This is an absurd article…

Sony would have been stupid NOT to do this. I hardly think they deserve congratulations for capitalizing on discontent already present. They were exploiting a business opportunity… it won them considerable gains in terms very harsh for their competition. This is what businesses do and this article acts like they did it as though it were charity. “core” gamers are by definition what represents a small movement before it becomes mainstream.

Bottom line 2 questions:

1) Would this have even occurred if not for the “core” upset group: NO. Sony would never have had a sympathetic audience to lambast the Xbox One with. No one would have cared.

2) Would this have happened if not for Sony: Definitely possible. Maybe not this suddenly but dead serious it was a strong possibility on other fronts. If the Xbox One had enough headaches that resulted for consumers on a technical level (very common with DRM) it is more than possible that they would have pulled the plug. DRM is always unpleasant in practice compared to what it is in theory. It is not the first time DRM industry and Copyright Nazi’s have backed down despite technically having the law on their side. Look at the RIAA lawsuits: that was nothing but Industry Lawyers vs. Public Rage. No industry allies… no competitors… just angry consumers who were becoming less niche and more mainstream the angrier they got.

I understand that Sony made the change sudden and decisive. But they are a business and they don’t get to have brownie points of “good will” when they make decisions that are clearly in their self-interest. This was possible because people were mad and might have happened anyways post facto if the situation got them angrier.

#123 11 months ago
  124. noneyo_getit_0011232

@salarta I would go a step further and say it is possible, depending on how problematic and technically unsound any DRM might have been, that this would have happened to Sony AND Microsoft in terms of backing down and changing policies.

Don’t scoff… DRM always looks great to marketeers and (as a programmer I would know…) like a nightmare to the people who have to implement it. It doesn’t make sense to work in the concept of “information ownership”… it is a technically unsound idea in and of itself. The fact remains that industry DRM vs. public rage has had clear instances of the latter winning. That is more than possible here even if Sony had not exploited a profoundly beneficial business opportunity.

I agree, however, that we should not get comfortable. Sony could have stonewalled… but I think they saw the writing on the wall to some extent. DRM has yet to work out as a business strategy in the long term.

#124 11 months ago