Xbox One day one update, installs and Kinect requirement confirmed

Thursday, 20th June 2013 01:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

You’ll still need to install your games, have a Kinect plugged in, and download a day one update, Xbox corporate vice-president Marc Whitten has said, despite today’s Xbox One policy changes.

As part of Microsoft’s abrupt policy shift earlier today, the platform holder noted that there will be a one-time online setup before gamers can play with their new console.

Speaking to IGN, Whitten said that would have happened regardless of today’s reversal.

“There was always going to be a day one update on the console, and that’s frankly just a difference in manufacturing schedules versus software schedules,” he said.

“We just wanted to be clear that that hasn’t changed, that you have to go online to get the software update for day one, then you wouldn’t have to be connected after that.”

The update should be accessible via a tethered smartphone, Whitten said when prompted.

“Any way that you can get connectivity to the Live service would work to enable that to come down to the console,” he said.

Despite the change back to a disc-based system installs will still be mandatory, and you’ll still need to have a Kinect plugged in.

“We still believe Kinect is a really critical part of the architecture,” Whitten said.

“We want game and interactive entertainment creators to be able to know they can take advantage of it, and we want it to be completely consistent for our users. So we still are very committed to how Kinect transforms that experience.”

Whitten reiterated that although the change has resulted in some licensing-based features being scrapped, many of Xbox One’s functions are still in place, like reportedly seamless swapping between apps and games – although you’ll have to change discs to switch between games you’ve purchased at retail.

1. MCTJim

meh on connect really for me, the reversal speaks volumes to gamers worldwide. They listened and did exactly what people wanted. NO DRM and NO always online. Nice Job MS, you finally listened :D

I will fart around with the kinect…probably never use it anymore than I do with my current 360 Kinect.

Looking forward to to the new console anyways.

#1 1 year ago
  2. sg1974

No Kinect and £349 and we will enter negotiations MS.

#2 1 year ago
  3. xBASSxMONSTAx

^what he said. Remove the kinect and bring the price down.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Silent Killer01

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

You can delete the installation when you aren’t playing the game. ANd they said you can use an external hard drive if you need additional space which extHD are cheap. I got a 2TB hard drive for 60$.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Sanwiches

“although you’ll have to change discs to switch between games you’ve purchased at retail.”

Goddamn it!

@4 “I still think the required game install is to boost sales of add on overpriced hard drives latter on.”

You’re probably WRONG. Streaming data from a disc is slower than from the Hard disk. It’s just that. The disc-in-the-tray is only to prove you’ve bought the game. It’s the DRM for discs, like for PC in the old times.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sanwiches

@2 & @3 That won’t happen. And at that price, you’ll have to wait quite a few years. many years :p

#7 1 year ago
  8. nostramo

Microsofts DRM and anti used game policy have not gone away for good people, they had to do something quickly to
    ensure their console didn’t flop, i have a funny feeling that during the life cycle of xbox1 the policys that have just been reversed will quietly be reinstated once they have a healthy installed user base, you know, a firmware update here a firmware update there. Time will tell.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Froseidon

@2 – Price doesn’t bother me. I don’t see why people will jump on a console on release to be honest. There could be so many problems with the console, and all those first buyers will just rage. By the time I buy one, I will either have the money or the price would have gone down, much like it did when I bought my Wii U. Although to be fair, if you’re buying from the get-go, £430 is rather steep, I admit.

#9 1 year ago
  10. NiceFellow

@8 agreed and that’s why I won’t be getting one. MS flinched and the day one update makes it clear they’ve simply knocked together an OS revision to bypass their own systems.

At heart everything they intended is clearly still there behind the scenes and I have no doubt this reversal is to prevent getting hammered early on in sales only. Once secure (assuming as will no doubt sadly be the case) the masses immediately forget MS was gearing up to completely screw them over and buy the thing now because MS suddenly turned “all nice” I’ve no doubt (as they did with 360) MS will slowly drip feed the stuff back into the system with the goal of ending up where they wanted to be.

MS is not focused on games, it has always been a Trojan horse simply to get their box between you and services via your TV. They’ve put money into some good games to be sure, but I’m not putting any more money there way as it’s clear to me now that while Sony/Nintendo divisions are mostly focused on games MS aren’t – and I’m not going to suddenly forget it was Sony that forced this not MS : so Sony will get my money for this gen.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

don’t be fooled gamers, they never listen to you. micro$haft was all bend over doing this hellish drm from day one. the only reason for this back paddling is money, and nothing more.

the xbone have all the draconian drm build into it. they send out a removal patch when you first connect it online. so they can easily send out a new patch later down the road, and bring back all this draconian drm. also when they stop supporting the xbone you will be left with a bluray player only, no games will work on it anymore.

also kinect is still an necessity to play the games, so the spycam is still there. and it’s still a $100 more… so there is really nothing to celebrate.

#11 1 year ago
  12. penniman

Day 1 update to put it all back in..

#12 1 year ago
  13. fuchikoma

They’ve burned their goodwill with me already. Even so, it’s still too expensive, still requires Kinect, and it’s not entirely clear if you just have to install games for load times, or if it’s the original install method where they have to approve it for you, which was the biggest killer for me.

But whatever they do at this point, for what they have tried to do, I want to see the XBox project come to an end before they come up with another way to set trends in consumer abuse.

#13 1 year ago