Respawn doing anything but shooters is not “the smart thing to do”

Thursday, 20th June 2013 05:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Although it’s determined to offer something fresh and new with Titanfall, Respawn stuck to its strengths when it elected to make a shooter for is first project.

“The choice to do another FPS – we’re doing something new, we wanted the idea to be different and new in terms of gameplay and mechanics,” Respawn boss Vince Zampella told GameInformer.

“Breaking farther beyond that and doing a racing game or something we’re not familiar with wasn’t the smart thing to do. For us it’s something that’s in our wheelhouse that we can innovate on and do something new and expand from there. It was just kind of a natural choice.”

Respawn’s contract with EA allowed them plenty of creative freedom, so before the team settled on the idea of Titanfall, it tried a lot of different things – prototypes and plots in various genres.

“When you can do anything, what do you do? Our team grew pretty fast, so we had a lot of people with a lot of ideas, and they all wanted their idea to be number one,” Zampella said.

“So we had to figure out how do you focus that down and keep everybody happy. It was a pretty tough process.”

One thing the develoepr didn’t really consider was moving away from the traditional console space.

“It’s something you look at – obviously a lot of games are going that way,” Zampella commented.

“I think there is some truth to it being the future, but I don’t think it’s the only future. There has always been the blockbuster, and I think there always will be.

“Maybe people will buy less of them, but I don’t always want to play a game where it’s free to play and a dollar for this and a dollar for that. I have some, I play some, but it’s not what everybody wants.”

Titanfall is due on PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014.

1. Sanwiches

“Vinca Zampella”… Vince! I like that guy. His thoughts resonate like mines.

Weird title though.

2. Sanwiches

On an unrelated note, Vince keeps saying the deal with Microsoft didn’t earn them anymore money. Then, is it only just because they had a better infrastructure for online multi that they chose to dev. for MS only?

I’m guessing maybe also because of Visual Studio, how great it is for dev/debugging, etc, etc… I’m curious.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Visual Studio? Lol! I’m not sure if Respawn use Visual Studio…

Anyway, yeah, he said (or someone else from Respawn who was interviewed said) that when MS approached them, they were “intrigued” with what they could do, so it’s certainly possible that sticking with MS was purely because of a tech that they couldn’t get elsewhere.

One of the best ways to see if it’s true or not is to wait and see if they can put the exact same X1 experience on a PS4, or Wii U.

I think the 360 version will probably lack a lot of features, but they’re not developing it.

4. Brenna Hillier

@1 cheers for the spot. “Vinca” is an awesome name but.

5. manamana

@3 as if he would state that Microsoft dropped a ton of gold onto his desk and on the desk of EA to make it a timed exclusive. Now they are a small team, so they need to focus. I guess thats why a different team is developing for 360. It could be that RE aimed at Xbox/PC first because of the installed user base. But I could easily see Microsoft drop a sack of diamonds considering they were on stage at E3 and Microsofts new close relation to EA makes it more suspect.

But hey, who cares in the end, as long as they deliver the next big shooter thing, right?

6. Lengendaryboss

Shooters For The Win :P

7. TheWulf

I didn’t think giant robots could really look all that boring before this game. And this is coming from someone who loves the hell out of giant robots. And kaiju, those too.

I suppose it’s just this grey-brown fetish. Mostly just grey in this case.

This just reminds me that we really need an Iron Man game, and based upon the Bleeding Edge armour, too.

8. yeoung

Clan warfare, persistant pvp territorial disputes, player controlled economy, player controlled R&D for mech suits, a trading market, a black market?

Honestly, adding wallrunning to an FPS isn’t as innovative as he makes it out to be, especially considering it’d work a lot nicer in third person.

Ah well..

9. redwood

@3 guys come on .. you really believe that PR crap… I mean no body believes Ted price when he says that they are doing this for better turn around (which is equal measures of BS) . But you believe Zempella? come on.. MS paid them to keep it exclusives,, and he is even more greedier than Ted cause they are already saying that they will bring it to ps4 eventually.