Nvidia lowers the price of Shield by $50, out next week

Thursday, 20th June 2013 14:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nvidia has lowered the price of its Android-based portable gaming device, Shield, by $50 and has announced a release date.

Now instead of running you $349, it will run you $299 instead.

The firm said it dropped the price due to being told that “if the price was $299, we’d have a home run.”

Those who have already pre-ordered the device will be charged the new, lower price when the product ships.

It’s out June 27.

1. CyberMarco

Still it’s a glorified Android gaming device.

I would really like to see PS Vita x Nvidia Shield kind of handheld. With enough power to play its own games and the versatility of the Android apps.

2. Lord Gremlin

Erm, we already have our PS Vitas. Why is this even exists?

3. silkvg247

I don’t know of any decent android games..

4. silkvg247

On the other hand if they release one of these for my steam collection (albeit running at lower settings in many cases) I’d be over that thing like flies on shit.

5. zme-ul

put another 100$ and get a PS4

6. Talkar

Because that is out next week to coincidently

7. Francis O

@2 “We already have our PS Vita’s”

- Who is “we” The PS Vita is one of the worst selling mobile devices in the industry. Plenty of people don’t have a PS Vita.

8. KineticCalvaria

@7, I do, and ‘we’ refers to more than one person so therefore Gremlin and me = we.

9. Talkar

^I’ve got one too :P

10. CyberMarco

I want one too! :(

11. digitalFatteh

@4 There is a demo / marketing video out somewhere showing Steam integration don’t know how far ahead of it they are now though.

[Update] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT6RJ1p3xA

12. TheWulf

I can think of three reasons as to why this exists.

1.) It’s an open platform. This means that anyone who can and does develop for the PC will also develop for it, as there are no hoops to jump through. Want to sell your game as an apk on your website? Google is fine with that, completely so. You can’t do that with a Vita.

2.) It’s way more powerful than the Vita, see for yourself. For those who care about graphical fidelity, the devices (including smartphones) running Tegra4 are going to make the Vita look a bit shit by comparison.

3.) If you have a semi-decent and recent graphics card, then it’s going to be able to stream games directly from your PC, using PC-level hardware. What I’m saying here is that you’ll be able to play your PC games anywhere within your house. So it doubles as a WiiU-style controller for the PC, except without the caveat of a battery that only lasts about an hour.

Considering that there are so many mainstream developers who’re already making iOS/Android games but not Vita games, it’s not hard to see what’s happening, here. This is the death knell for the Vita as a high end gaming device. The Shield knocks it off its perch with aplomb, and takes its well deserved crown.

To be honest? A mobile device, with hardware and software that surpasses the Vita on every level, which is also a mobile platform? That’s very desirable to me.

Consider this: You might see a port of certain console games which share their modifiable nature with the PC. So you’ll be able to mod them on the Vita whereas you can’t on a console.

I’ve said this before though but I’ll say it again — I’m not against consoles. I hate elitism. But I’ve often pointed out that there are valid benefits to an open platform. I want consoles to become open platforms so that console users can share in what I take for granted.

The Nvidia shield is the first step toward that.

That’s awesome.

Edit: Note that SKYRIM is confirmed for the Shield. Then consider that this is likely going to be a version of Skyrim that’s every bit as modifiable as its PC cousin. Chew on that for a bit.

Edit 2: Also, people who think that Android is purely for smartphones are showing their technophobia. Technology is scalable, and Android is scalable up to running on a desktop (which some people do). This could mark a shift from Windows to Android in coming years, which is really damned intriguing to me.

Consider that if people make scalable games for Android which can run on the latest smartphones all the way up to the PC, it bridges the gap between the two. It means that mods can be developed which can run on smartphones, mobile devices, and PCs. Eventually we’ll see more powerful versions of consoles like the Ouya, and they’ll have the same benefits.

If you understood what the Shield represented, you’d be as excited as I am. And I’m sorry, but I am REALLY EXCITED.

13. TheWulf

Just to add… there are plenty out there, you just need a Tegra3 to play them. They’re very good at gating so that games that won’t run on your hardware won’t actually show up on the store. There are already some impressive Tegra3 games out there, so I’m psyched for Tegra4.

And to say it again, if Skyrim isn’t exciting as an Android app to you guys, which no doubt will be modifiable, then what is?!

(Personally I’m hoping for a release of New Vegas on it. New Vegas with mods on a mobile device? ALL OF MY YES.)

14. fearmonkey

I’m interested in it, except you need a recent Nvidia card to take advantage of it, and I have an Ati 7870 currently.

I wish Sony would work something out with Valve, so that the PS4 could work as a streaming device for a PC. I realize that will never happen, but its a nice dream.

15. Christopher Jack

@TheWulf, It’d be interesting IF game devs actually made decent mobile games, the majority is either trash or quick time wasters.

16. TheWulf

I don’t know if you actually read what I said.

Let me say it again: Mainstream games in their original form are being released on the Shield. This includes: Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, and even Skyrim.

Those qualify as “trash” and “quick time-wasters?”

It saddens me that people don’t understand that technology is scalable. Yes, it’s Android. Yes, it’s something you usually see on a smartphone. Yes, Android can be used as an OS for something more powerful than the 360 and PS3. :I

This is what’s known as a paradigm shift guys. I wish you’d catch on to them as fast as I could, then you could be excited too.

17. Christopher Jack

@16, They aren’t being released on the Shield, they’re being allowed to be streamed on it from your own PC- significant difference. I have apps on my Iconia Tablet that allows me to do that.

18. CyberMarco

You mean they could run natively on Shield? If so color me interested!

19. Christopher Jack

@18, Sadly no, that would get me interested but sadly no :(

20. TheWulf

That isn’t how I read it. But even still. It’s significantly more powerful than the Vita, regardless. Which means that my point remains valid.

I mean, if you want to ignore something that just leaves the Vita in its dust, then fine. But if you think that developers aren’t going to get on board with something that’s obviously superior, then you’re wrong. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do see native versions of those games.

Consider this: There are native versions of PS3 games on the Vita. Then consider this: The Shield is way more powerful than the Vita.

Figure it out for yourself!

It’s not hard to see why I believe that mainstream games will be getting released for this, and games that the Vita can’t handle. I invite you to do the research for yourself. A Vita wouldn’t be able to handle something like Skyrim due to limited memory, but this could. Natively.

21. CyberMarco

I doubt we’ll see any serious gaming on Android anytime soon. Yeah, shield is more powerful than Vita, but e.g. look Peace Walker on PSP and just imagine what games can be achieved on a hardware as the PS Vita. Killzone Mercenaries looks like a PS3 game.

Android has various drawbacks that don’t make it a viable gaming platform, at least for now.

22. Christopher Jack

@20, I didn’t say that it couldn’t run better looking games than the PSV but for the most part it won’t, heck few Android games look better than PSP games. @21′s article points out my concerns.