Metal Gear Solid 5 will “take on the world” if Hideo Kojima has his say

Thursday, 20th June 2013 21:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metal Gear Solid 5 will “take on the world” if Hideo Kojima has anything to say about it.

Speaking in an interview with Famitsu, Kojima said his team’s intent with the game was to develop “something that can please players on a global scale.”

“Metal Gear sells the most in the United States. The largest market is also the United States, and they’re home to the world’s largest game show in E3. Naturally, we’d like to compete and win against the world’s best, there,” he said. “Metal Gear Solid V’s ‘V’ also stands for ‘Victory,’ which also means that we’d like to win in a global scale, once again.

“In the past 15 years, hardware has continued to evolve, but I don’t think the substance of games have evolved as much. In a sense, I’d like to take a step forward. But If I go too far, I may not be able to sell as much in Japan (laughs). Not only the graphics, but I want to increase the quality within the games themselves.”

He also said that the game will have tablet features integrated, because with the current cloud climate, there is no longer a reason to restrict games to particular platforms.

“Metal Gear Solid 5 will indeed be challenging the rest of the world. In order to win this fight, we’ll be needing all of your support. Please look forward to the world of a next-generation social service that will utilize the cloud,” he said.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain will be released on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, maybe eventually PC, and is still without a release date. It will also contain an open-world, and Metal Gear Online which is being worked on in Kojima Productions’ LA studio “to create a vast multiplayer for all the fans.”

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. Battler624

i’m thrilled but what about groundzeroes? did everyone forget it? is it a separate game or is it a prologue to TPP? will it release on next gen or what?

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

@1: Why not simply do some research? :3

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ristas

Ground Zeroes is part of Metal Gear Solid V: Phatom Pain.

It’s the prologue and the tutorial. At the end of Ground Zeroes, Naked Snake falls into a coma. 9 years later he awakens and what we have known as Phantom Pain starts.

It’s a lot like how the tanker chapter worked in MGS 2.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Here is a link that explains it, which is also in the post above – but yeah pretty much what @3 said: http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-gameplay-is-up-to-the-player-says-kojima/

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

@1+3
    I wouldn’t say apart of it, because of right now they may be two separate releases. Also The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes combined make up MGS 5: The Phantom Pain because the TPP is the epilogue (Main Meal).

#5 1 year ago
  6. CyberMarco

I wonder if the PS360 will hold back his vision. Will those console be able to produce all those things that Kojima-San wants to implements?

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

@6: Probably not. But he always had that problem. Hopefully his ‘vision’ doesn’t get in the way of our enjoyment.

#7 1 year ago
  8. jcp234

I’d like a PC release of this game with controller support, please?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Hellhound30x

Without David Hayter I could give a fuck what MGS does… (yeah my opinion #dealwithit)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Sanwiches

” Please look forward to the world of a next-generation social service that will utilize the cloud”

I’m looking forward to see how the cloud is going to turn out. I mean the features that will come out of it. Hopefully it won’t be a big meh.

And hopefully this game’s peep won’t share too many face similarities with traditional Japanese characters that I totally despise. Just kidding :p

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

@9 – Grow up. Seriously. I will miss Hayter too, but you’re just being ridiculous at this point.

#11 1 year ago
  12. cade

@7-His “vision” is what you have been enjoying the last 25 years or I what I have been at least. Please don’t mock it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. CyberMarco

Who said I’m mocking Kojima? I’m just curious to see how the game will pan out on the PS360…

#13 1 year ago
  14. JackTheFaux

Just thought I’d post this theory video about The Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes story and such. Pretty plausible stuff. http://youtu.be/tb1WhDdto08

#14 1 year ago
  15. Hellhound30x

#11Clupula telling me to grow up? fuck you!

#15 1 year ago
  16. Lengendaryboss

@Hellhound30x

#16 1 year ago
  17. Hellhound30x

@ Legendaryboss. LOL! great jpg.

#17 1 year ago
  18. CyberMarco

It was debunked by another video that Gray Fox can’t be part of the game’s story line, not with the way that video describes it at least.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Kuwabara

A rep from kojima productions said they’re separate games.

#19 1 year ago