Amazon UK: Xbox One pre-orders pass PS4 after DRM u-turn

Thursday, 20th June 2013 13:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One has overtaken PS4 in Amazon UK’s pre-order charts after Microsoft announced it was ditching its DRM policy last night.

If you missed Microsoft’s Xbox One announcement and following statement from Don Mattrick, you can read what all of this means here.

MCV reports that the change in policy seems to have swung Amazon pre-orders back in Microsoft’s favour.

The Xbox One ‘Day One’ edition is currently second in Amazon’s charts, behind PS3 hit The Last of Us. At the time of writing, PS4 pre-orders sit at third.

Have you pre-ordered either console? Let us know below.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Woop-ti-doo.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DGOJG

That is it. Stop the train. I want to get off. I’m done.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Samoan Spider

Haha, fickle fuckers these consumers. When will we noisy net folk learn :D

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@2 you can’t get off unless Microsoft throws you off while it’s moving.

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

Haha, you have to admit that is quite funny.

I pre-ordered mine before the u-turn and nothing has changed for me. Apart from feeling more confident the console is going to be more popular now.

Thanks Sony!

#5 1 year ago
  6. silkvg247

It’s cos of all the chavs – they seem to be addicted to xbox; I guess because unlike ps3 you can pirate on it? Leaves them enough money for their beer and fags and teenage pregnancies.

I’m a real gamer, so it’s PC PC PC and then some ps4 when I’m tired of that.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Max Payne

I still find it funny how Army was bitching , but I guess they didn’t think about Kinect also :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. js779

Well, for what it’s worth in germany PS4 is still on top, followed by The Last of Us and Xbox One in third place.

#8 1 year ago
  9. TrickyAudio

Still can’t be arsed with the Xbox. The cheaper price and PlayStation Plus swung if for me.

Be interesting to see launch dates now…

#9 1 year ago
  10. Razor

I love VG247… but using pre-order charts? Really?

Come on.

#10 1 year ago
  11. MCTJim

Consoles are now on even ground other than price.

#11 1 year ago
  12. YoungZer0

@6: No, you can pirate on both, PS3 just makes it more difficult with all the updates.

“Leaves them enough money for their beer and fags and teenage pregnancies.”

Lawl.

#12 1 year ago
  13. viralshag

@10, Hey man, people were happy enough to throw the whole Amazon poll and pre-orders around as a sign of Sony’s (now maybe a bit premature) “victory” of the next gen.

It was ok then and it’s ok now. I’ve always said it, gamers are a fickle bunch.

#13 1 year ago
  14. sg1974

Good news for MS. And it pretty much proves that what they did last night is what the majority of gamers want.

#14 1 year ago
  15. zinc

It doesn’t mean squat.

Next-gen will be a repeat of this gen. Sony & MS neck & neck, & Ninty being ignored.

Obviously won’t stop peeps arguing about who’s winning.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Iliad

@11 Not really, the PS4 is considerably more powerful than the Xbox One (and doesn’t come with the gimmicky Kinect – I have the original Kinect and only ever use it for Forza 4 head-tracking), and with MS reversing their DRM and the gamers’ always-online guarantee for publishers there will be less games that take advantage of this mysterious “cloud”.

#16 1 year ago
  17. silkvg247

@12 Are you sure about that now? Because the only guy who did hack the ps3 got into an awful lot of trouble, and sony quickly made their security even tighter – the console has never been cracked to the best of my knowledge. There’s no way to mod or chip it. You can’t copy discs and use them, there’s no sd card mechanism or hdd soft crack.

#17 1 year ago
  18. YoungZer0

@17: My brother-in-law cracked his PS3 and plays some rather recent PS3 games. Dunno how, don’t care either.

I think you’re only in trouble when you go online with it. Which he doesn’t have to.

#18 1 year ago
  19. silkvg247

@18 Is it one of the older ones by any chance? I think the bwc models were crackable.

#19 1 year ago
  20. stealth

preorders dont determine sales, ps4 will sell more

#20 1 year ago
  21. YoungZer0

@19: Nope.

Pirates, like Life, will always find a way.

#21 1 year ago
  22. MCTJim

@16 we can disagree on the “power” of each system, its just how it is :) Sony’s last system was more powerful by about the same amount and both consoles were neck and neck. What decided it for me was the games MS showed at E3 were better in my personal opinion. The PS4 pulled the greatest PR coup in history and I dont think anyone will say the latter was not true.

Its a win win now for the consumer and the gamer. No restrictions really. Price point seems to be the only barrier left and I do not think MS will lower the price on the new unit..but I could be wrong.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Samoan Spider

@17 Downgrade firmware, crack and play. Slim and Phats alike can be exploited by this. Never tried it though. It didn’t interest me on an “I can’t leave shit alone” level like the Xbox 1 software modding did.

#23 1 year ago
  24. sg1974

@11 Still got Kinect 2.0. I won’t have the first iteration on my 360 and I am certain as hell I won’t have an even more powerful one tethered to a One.

Jesus f*cking Christ they have to change that dumbass name.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Hoika

I’m getting kinda bored of this console war and these kind of newsposts… Who cares who pre-ordered what or not… Who switched what bandwagon… Who buys an Xbox One, a PS4 or a 16inch pink colored fluffy Stimu-Lance… I’m buying what I’m buying, don’t care what anyone else does and we’ll see the charts that actually matter AFTER the consoles have been released.

#25 1 year ago
  26. KineticCalvaria

@6, haha love it! You crack me up.

#26 1 year ago
  27. MCTJim

@24 Kinect to me on the 360 was a neat novelty , but as with most novelties..they just collect dust after a while..Maybe Kinect 2.x will be something more for me to play with…time will tell

#27 1 year ago
  28. sg1974

@22 The PS3 is more powerful than the 360 but it was designed by the hardware guys without any thought for (let alone consultation with) the software guys, and was evil to code for. Even their own in-house devs struggled at first and took a year or two to start teasing the best out of it. This time however, they are both X86. PS4 has much more RAM for games, though the One does have that infinite power of the cloud thingy with 300,000 servers that don’t actually exist (it’s probably just 3,000 dedicated servers according to several commentators).

#28 1 year ago
  29. stretch215

I think xbx1 is a good price. The system plus kinect (which my kids absolutely love) for only $100 more than ps4. Current gen kinect retails for $150, so this upgraded kinect at this price point is perfect for me.

#29 1 year ago
  30. xAKUM3TSUx

@27 from what yesterday showed us, it’s 50/50 possible.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Christopher Jack

I expect the Xbox One to continue leading in the US & UK but not by as much this time around- Also note the PS4 is more expensive in the UK than the rest of Europe.

#31 1 year ago
  32. MCTJim

@28 true, but, once they got their chops around how to program for it, was there really any difference between the two..not really..both systems had a few stunning games, but my comment was really towards the DRM and 24hr check in..basically both consoles are now on even ground. Albeit the 100 difference.

#32 1 year ago
  33. dravenkaze

Who gives a damn ps3 outsold 360 and ps4 will out sell xbone in the long run fact

#33 1 year ago
  34. Lord Gremlin

@33 True. It’s just the sheer fact: people know what MS stance is, and yet they’re still dumb enough to buy xbone after this cheap trick.

#34 1 year ago
  35. sg1974

@32 I don’t know, I have a 360 and a PS3 and I have never seen anything on the former which looks as good as UC3 or WipEout HD.

#35 1 year ago
  36. stretch215

@33 your post is irrelevant. Fact. And this idiot agreed with you.

#36 1 year ago
  37. John117

@33 I find it amusing that Sony fanboys settle with the fact that PS3 barely sold more than the Xbox 360. Think about the difference between the Xbox and PS2, with the X360 MS smashed Sony’s dominance to the ground putting them on nearly equal standing in regards of sales. Who knows what things will look like a year from now…

#37 1 year ago
  38. Kieran

i could be wrong but isint the xbox 360 only the main console in america and u.k were as the ps3 is the main one in europe & japan ?? i live in ireland and my college done a survy on video games and ps3 outsold 360 by like nearly 2 million and ireland only has a population of 6m roughly

alot of do tend to stick to the brands they used last generation dont they ??

#38 1 year ago
  39. sg1974

@37 I find the explosion in the number of MS fanboy accounts generated on this site in the past seven days amusing.

Sony did indeed blow a big lead – late to market, always more expensive and always more negative PR didn’t help.

#39 1 year ago
  40. WENDiGO

Wow, it’s amazing how quickly the tides shift. I wonder how sony will combat the sudden U-turn. Announce all of their exclusives they seem to have in development? A lot of the guys buying the xbox one now are basing their decision off of E3. Microsoft showed their hand and now it’s sony’s turn. You don’y really think that E3 conference is all they have do you? We all know that all of sony’s studios are making a ps4 game. Now it’s just a matter of when they show.

#40 1 year ago
  41. sg1974

@38 Pretty much. 360 is in the lead in the US and UK, PS3 is in the lead everywhere else. Globally, the PS3 is at about 77 million and the 360 is at about 76 million – though the latter figure does include retail-replaced RRoDs for which MS has always refused to provide a figure. (Most independent estimates say at least a million failed 360s were replaced at the point of sale, so counted as sales – as opposed to units replaced in the factory-return programme, which aren’t counted in the data).

#41 1 year ago
  42. Tech-N9ne

Its just one on those silly myths. I live in the Netherlands and me most of my friend and co-workers play on XBox. I’ve also got a PS3, but most gaming is on the XBox. Not saying Xbox is dominant here, but the difference is not that huge. Plus play station mutiplayer was free, which is really what gave Sony such advantage. But that’s gone now at least for PS4.

#42 1 year ago
  43. OmegaSlayer

It shows how silly people is.

#43 1 year ago
  44. laughing-gravy

Well I never, an American company saying another American company is doing well. I can’t even get the chart to display.

#44 1 year ago
  45. sg1974

@42 “My mates play this” doesn’t really cut it against the manufacturers’ sales data. And I didn’t say the difference was huge, I said the PS3 is ahead outside of the two markets where it is accepted the 360 leads (I note you had no quarrel with the latter part of that statement).

“Plus play station mutiplayer was free, which is really what gave Sony such advantage.”

I don’t understand the point you are making here. Isn’t it free in the US and UK too? And isn’t the 360 cheaper in every market? Why didn’t that give MS an advantage everywhere?

#45 1 year ago
  46. Froseidon

@44 – I know its an American company, but this is the UK branch :P Also, they will have sales numbers, they can’t just pull this crap out of thin air.

#46 1 year ago
  47. laughing-gravy

@46 But they are American owned!

#47 1 year ago
  48. Irani

DIE SONY DIE

#48 1 year ago
  49. sg1974

@48 Yet another SDF troll.

Oh no, wait a minu

#49 1 year ago
  50. laughing-gravy

Given the events of the last two days when I went out to work this morning I kept looking up to see if there were any flying pigs, MENTAL!

#50 1 year ago
  51. zinc

@48, Needs more !!!!’s

#51 1 year ago
  52. Yoshi

Unbelievable..lap it up sheep…

#52 1 year ago
  53. tcc

Isn’t this misleading? PS4s on Amazon are split into different SKUs: the Launch and Standard Editions, and various bundles with Killzone, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, or Knack, all of which are on the bestsellers list. There is only one Xbox One SKU as far as I know. PlayStation 4 orders combined likely outsell the Xbox One by a large margin.

#53 1 year ago
  54. MCTJim

@53 I dunno to be honest. I really have not found anything to the contrary. You could be absolutely correct.

#54 1 year ago
  55. penniman

I wonder if we still need to turn it on with “Xbox turn on” and I am still wondering about how they watch you and have a patent for charging people based on how many viewers are watching a certain thing..

#55 1 year ago
  56. TheBlackHole

@55 you were never forced to turn it on through voice activation.

Christ, no wonder so many people complain about the Xbox one if they believe shit like that…

#56 1 year ago
  57. Iliad

@22 True, this gen is neck and neck. The PS4 is clearly superior if you compare the specs (i.e. DDR5 for example), plus it’s far more developer friendly this time around – Sony obviously learnt their lesson.

You can’t deny that some first-party games on PS3 are generally more visually stunning than anything released on the 360. Just look at what Naughty Dog achieved with the Uncharted series, and more recently the frankly amazing The Last of Us. MS on the 360 hasn’t come close to that level of visual excellence.

I do actually prefer my 360 over my PS3, but I’m more impressed with the PS4 (pre-ordered one) and expect third-party games (such as Battlefield 4 with its scaleable Frostbite 3 engine) to run better on the PS4, simply because its architecture is apparently closer to the PC than the Xbox One.

I’ll be getting an Xbox One next year for sure (because of the DRM reversal etc), but only because of Forza 5 – MS didn’t show anything else that I particularly had to have, nor did Sony really, although both had games I would buy, but not necessarily buy a console just to play. For me, all the most interesting games were third-party.

#57 1 year ago
  58. PEYJ

A bit strange; the price is significantly higher and a lot of the TV shit doesn’t apply outside the US.

#58 1 year ago
  59. MCTJim

@57…I guess we can disagree what visually stunning is as I prefer multiplayer than single player. I give kudos to those studios who did crank out some cool games as Sony’s 1st party devs, I cannot deny a good game when i see and play one. Those 2 studios are indeed top notch and I wouldn’t expect anything less than stellar from them.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Iliad

@59 I think we can both agree that there’s some good looking and exciting stuff coming to both next-gen consoles :-)

#60 1 year ago
  61. MCTJim

@60 indeed :D

#61 1 year ago
  62. fearmonkey

Completely misleading. Unless everyone suddenly dropped their PS4 reserve for a Xbone, and I doubt that, PS4 with its multiple skus and already filled launch reserve would still be ahead easily.

#62 1 year ago
  63. NiceFellow

I normally hesitate to critise others buying choices – but if this does mean a lot of people getting XBone because of the reversal they’re being pretty short sighted.

If the console sells enough it’s obvious everything that was complained about now will come down the pipe. The entire infrastructure is in place and only a day one OS update is switching off various bits of it as a rush job response.

I don’t want the console to fail but if people were serious about not buying due to the DRM they need to really decide if they want to potentially back a simple delay of such features or send a clear message.

My view is simple – I want to see PS4 sell better to the extent the message is loud and clear : don’t do this. MS can survive plenty fine on a dip in sales and they need a PS3/Sony style bloody nose for this IMHO.

I’m quite amazed people are really that naive they think the whole thing has been permanently reversed.

#63 1 year ago
  64. Hanbei

Despite their (supposed) change of mind, Microsft has showed how arrogant and disrespectful they are towards their customers. What a bunch of assholes (Microsoft, not the customers).
    Anyway, this U-turn won’t change anything : they already lost.

#64 1 year ago
  65. OwningXylophone

@ 53 & 62

There is only 1 PS4 SKU for sale on Amazon UK.

#65 1 year ago
  66. reggie1982

Ok whoever wrote this article is a complete amateur, the amazon sales chart is updated hourly, the ps4 stand alone release day model already sold out, which is why it is at 10 saying currently unavailable, so how coukd it have sold any in that last hour, only ps4 bundled are left to pre order, poor article, no research whatsoever seen something and jumped to a conclusion

#66 1 year ago
  67. Joe_Gamer

The xbone has one sku, Sony has like 7, add up all of the Sony sku’s instead of just looking at the release date one and it will pull far ahead.

#67 1 year ago
  68. NightCrawler1970

Cant believe disloyal swappers changing there mind again and go back to Xbone… even a retail-member will tell that guy like “MAKE UP YA MIND”…

#68 1 year ago
  69. Kaden7

This article is quite misleading. XBox has overtaken PS4 on the hourly best-sellers which is just showing recent trends. If you look at best sellers of 2013 (so far) you notice that XBoxis placed at #70. PS4 on the other hand is placed I believe at #4 for best seller so far this year

#69 1 year ago
  70. NightCrawler1970

PS4 will win :P time will tell in november

#70 1 year ago
  71. sg1974

MS better hope the “most wished for” chart flips real soon too. On Amazon UK right now:

1. PS4 console
    2. The Last of US (PS4)
    3. XBOne console
    4. Watchdogs (PS4)
    5. Destiny (PS4)
    6. Animal Crossing
    7. Battlefield 4 (PS4)
    8. FIFA 14 (PS4)
    9. InFamous Second Son (PS4)
    10. GTAV (PS4)
    11. Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4)
    12. DS4 controller (PS4)
    13. Assassin’s Creed 4 (PS4)
    14. CoD Ghosts (PS4)
    15. Tom Clancy’s The Division (PS4)
    16. Batman Arkham Origins (PS4)
    17. GTAV (360)
    18. CoD Ghosts (One)
    19. Forza 5 (One)
    20. Beyond Two Souls (PS4)

Ouch. No wonder Don got called into Steve’s office. That’s data that can bring down a CEO.

#71 1 year ago
  72. sg1974

Well well well. Look at how the consoles are doing in the US, over 24 hours since the change in DRM policy. Amazon US preorder chart:

1. XBox One console – Day 1 Edition
    2. PS4 console – Standard Edition
    3. PS4 console – Launch Edition
    4. PS4 console – Watch Dogs Launch Day Bundle
    5. PS4 console – Battlefield 4 Launch Day Bundle

7. PS4 console – Killzone Launch Day Bundle

21. PS4 console – Knack Launch Day Bundle

28. XBox One console – Standard Edition

I’m willing to bet that #2-5+7+21 add up to more than #1+28. A lot more.

Anecdotal I know, but MS probably needs to do much more to win all their customers back – and a bunch of new ones.

#72 1 year ago
  73. zinc

Neither has a “killer app”, though one is $100 more & spies on you in your underwear…

#73 1 year ago
  74. Not2Nerdy

@sg1974

Not to mention if you look at Best Sellers for 2013 for the US. The original Launch Edition for the PS4 is at number 2, while the Xbox One Day One Edition is at 7. So the Launch Edition for the PS4 has more pre-orders than Xbox One by itself. That is not including all of the Standard Edition, and all of the Individual Bundle editions.

#74 1 year ago
  75. Ireland Michael

This is good news whichever way you swing it. Competition keeps companies on their toes.

#75 1 year ago
  76. GreaterThanGaming

Whoever wrote this article is a fucking moron.

You just posted a link to CURRENT best sellers.

Go to best selling for 2013 and the PS4 is in 4th and Xbox is in…

10th?

Nope..

25th?

Nope..

70TH PLACE. Yes it’s in fucking 70th place.

Get informed before you write anything again.

#76 1 year ago
  77. redwood

@53 I think you are correct.
    @Dave .. please have that checked if you have the time. My brother was telling me the exact same thing last night too.

#77 1 year ago
  78. machy

Guys .. chill out, within 18 month the real different in row power will come clear and the 1st party studious will start rolling out some amazing games ps4 will dominated everywhere

and last time i check UK/NA where the only territories where xbox has strong fanbase so if ps4 at lunch can get at leas 40% it a big win for sony

#78 1 year ago
  79. Cort

@SG – Unfortunately for you and all the other paid Sony shills there is a most egregious error in your first list that paints a VERY different picture when corrected (in before G1GA gets back from the shops):

- Beyond: Two Souls is for PS3 only. No PS4 version.

And suddenly it’s not looking so good for the PS4 now, is it bro?

#79 1 year ago
  80. lunayasha

I find it disturbing that people want to buy a piece of hardware that has motion censors, facial recognition software, was previous supposed to be “listening” to voice commands, and had to be on the internet daily. I know Xbox has changed its policies, but they are subject to change.

I would want to purchase something that can conceivably record me playing a game, and then possible load it up to the internet for the government to do as it pleases with the footage. So Tim who is Ohio just playing some kinnect game possibly could end up being in footage of a terrorist attack in New York in minutes. So then gamers would be seen as threats to America. I know it sounds far fetched but remember that anonymous started out 4chan, and that Snowden liked to play video games and had anime avatar. Too me this sounds like a spying device used to track unsuspecting gamers.

#80 1 year ago
  81. Froseidon

@80 – I find it disturbing that people think Microsoft’s master plan is to record some out of shape 20 something year old in a crappy basement play video games.

Seriously, people can be so dumb.

#81 1 year ago