PS4 reveal has given PS Vita interest a “shot in the arm”, claims Gara

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 10:31 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4′s spotlight status at E3 has given interest in PS Vita a boost, Sony’s UK chief Fergal Gara has claimed. The exec has also touted the handheld’s position as a companion device for PS4 in a new interview, suggesting the two will grow increasingly symbiotic going into next-gen.

In his interview with GI.biz, Gara said of the PS Vita’s 2011 launch, “I don’t think it’s unfair to say it came into a very complex marketplace that probably wasn’t fully envisaged at the time development started.

“It borrows a lot from the mobile and tablet world, especially with touch control. And it borrows a fair amount from the PlayStation of old with the analogue sticks. And it’s a very worthy and better successor to PSP. Where it’s been difficult has been proving the companion status for PlayStation 3. The fact is it was developed for PS4, much more than PS3.

“The number of things we could demonstrate and prove was limited – there’s been some good examples – but now we go into the PS4 era, that companion device will look far more clear. We’re optimistic it’s got a lot more legs left in it and the PS4 has given it a shot in the arm.”

Gara cited the inclusion of remote play as a real boost to the handheld’s appeal, “When you consider something like Watch Dogs will be available for PS Vita via the Remote Play functionality it’s very exciting. And the fact the PS4 is coming out at a well-received price point means it’s not out of the question to own both.”

The exec also said there are currently no plans for a PS3 price-cut, and stated that the console will prove to be an entry level machine to Sony’s banner of gaming devices for a few years yet.

Are you now more-keen on PS Vita following E3? Would you like to see a PS3 price cut soon? Lets us know what you think below.

1. adge_uk

Post E3 several people has asked to see my Vita and have a go as they are all pre-ordering PS4′s and see this as an excellent compainon device.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Francis O

I think it’s a bit sad Sony has to sell their handheld with a console. Just release games for the system. Where the hell is a localization for Phantasy Star Online?

Where are the big Sony titles like God of War, Gran Tursimo, and Infamous on PS Vita? Are they really expecting people to shell out $399.99 for a console and buy $249.99 controller for it?

Sony strategy with Vita is insane.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@1 Exactly the same as myself man. My friends have asked to borrow my Vita to try it out.

#3 1 year ago
  4. melonbuster1

Bullshit!!mine is a paperweight. . But my 3ds is going crazy with new good games

#4 1 year ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

Worth noting that although there’s been no *official* price cut there has been some serious discounts offered on the Vita recently. I bought my second-hand Vita (wi-fi only) for £130 about 3-4 months ago, as sold new it was north of £200. Now Amazon sell it new for £170, Game sell it for £150 w/ a copy of Little Big Planet and pre-owned units go for around £100.

Not sure if it’s a mixture of peaked customer interest and retailers who are looking to capitalize on it but the Vita’s already hitting a strong price point with or without Sony’s involvement.

#5 1 year ago
  6. adge_uk

I guess it depends on what sort of games float your boat. But just off the top of my head I’ve bought these in the first year alone – Super Stardust Delta, Retro City Rampage, Guacamelee!, Escape Plan, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Thomas Was Alone, Persona 4 Golden, Virtue’s Last Reward, Soul Sacrifice, Wipeout 2048, Disgaea 3, New Little Kings Story, BlazBlue, Little Big Planet, MotorStorm: RC, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time & Unit 13…

Plus loads more I’ve forgotten, plus free games from PS+. I don’t think I’ve bought as much in year one on any other console I’ve owned. I’ve always got a backlog of stuff to play.

#6 1 year ago
  7. CyberMarco

In before it has no gamez… damn!

I was interested in the PS Vita from the day it was announced, I really prefer playing on my PSP laying on the couch/bed than on my PC/TV. I can find a PS Vita for 200€ with a game bundled and buy various great games for 20€ each, but the problem is the memory cards.

If Sony could bring the prices down I wouldn’t hesitate to jump-in. Probably I’m going to wait for a price cut until spring-summer 2014, maybe after E3 so I’ll be ready for my PS4 when KH3 launches.

Oh man, KH3 on the PS Vita! :D :D :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. VibraniumSpork

@7 I know the price of the cards is pretty ridiculous but the one silver lining is that they stretch far. I’m using a 16GB and currently have Uncharted:GA, MGS Collection, Rayman Origins and Soul Sacrifice on there, as well as half-dozen or so PSN titles (Guacamelee etc.). I thought I’d need the 32GB, but I’ve owned the 16GB for a couple months now and haven’t since felt a need to upgrade. Jus’ sayin’ ^_^

#8 1 year ago
  9. mark_t50

I picked up a Vita 2 days ago :) I see it as an ideal time to get one as it will kill time till my PS4 arrives and seems to be the ideal companion device for it.

I was always interested in it, but the high price and perceived lack of games put me off. Once I saw one in town for £140 new with a copy of Soul Sacrifice, well I couldn’t resist. The memory cards still seem a bit expensive, so I ended up going with a 16gb one even though I’d have liked a 32gb one.

Really surprised at how many games there actually are on it. Oh, and Persona 4 Golden rocks on it. Plus I get to play Final Fantasy 7 again and it looks so much better on the Vita screen than on a 46″ LCD. Gaming heaven. Overall I’m very very impressed with the Vita and more than happy to have finally got one.

#9 1 year ago
  10. NeoSquall

I think an even small price cut would’ve jumped the PS Vita (potential) sales even more, or maybe forcing retailers to sell the console with a 4GB (or better a 8GB one) memory card for the same price.

my 2 cents.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Pytox

I already have over 5 or 6 games free for ps vita tnx to ps plus so ill get one down the line and will have many nice games to play already :p

#11 1 year ago
  12. mistermogul

I’ve always been interested in getting a Vita but I won’t until they lower the price of their memory cards.

I refuse to be bent over and f*cked backwards and they won’t get my money until they stop taking the piss.

£75 for 32Gb? Fuck that, the going retail price for 32Gb flash is about £10. I’m not paying a 750% premium.

#12 1 year ago
  13. OlderGamer

Great Sony, Gratz. Now lower the damn price of the system and decent mem card sizes. Don’t forget to get a few more quality games out. And stop chasing the intergrated functions of Vita to PS4. Sure they are promising, but until every PS4 owner also owns a Vita, you will be held back from a game focus and dev focus.

PS4 + Vita (or even X1 + smartglass) will never be what WiiU + Gamepad is. Never. It has zero to do with game or system quality. It has everything to do with splitting the demographic. Every single WiiU owner has the gamepad. That matters.

Just another example of the industry trying to mimic Nintendo. This reminds me of Move.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

@OG
    The key feature he’s talking about on Vita as a companion device here is remote play. Something that was possible with the PSP long before the WiiU. Now a key feature of the WiiU. Who is the mimic again?

The other key feature of Vita + PS4 combo is PS+ sub getting you stuff for both systems.

I don’t think they played up the idea of a WiiU like game control device at all at E3 did they? General tablet/phone play was big in a few presentations but Vita specific?

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

A key feature, one of the strongest features, but with more to come. That was in there.

Yes tablet/phone was big. I believe Sony will make a play for Vita to do the same thing. And ofc, that is what I mean. And that is following Nintendos lead. As for PSP, how about GBA playing Zelda off screen in MP couch coop on Gamecube? Nintendo has been incorporating their handhelds for awhile now. I even remember Gameboys being used in PSO.

PSP was just another of a long line of things that Sony didn’t follow thru with. Didn’t deliver for.

All of that being said, I am not against Vita. Not against PS4(have mine preordered). And am a PS+ subscriber. But this is pure PR. An chance to talk up Vita. Vita has not blown the doors off of anything. It hasn’t wowed me. And Sony loves to do what other folks do. LBPK, Sony All Stars, Move, and more.

My point was that, while nice, Vita isn’t going to provide the same level of function for EVERYONE that Gamepad does for WiiU owners. Meaning that its impact on the market will be less then what Sony might like.

400usd for the PS4, 120usd for a couple of games, 50usd for PS+ sub, AND 250usd for a VITA…see the issue with that? 820usd, plus tax. You can’t get the same market penetration with that type of approach.

But you can sit there in an interview and talk up the things you can do with your stuff. Never mind the fact that only a relatively small amount of your supporters will be able to take advantage of those things your are touting.

#15 1 year ago
  16. dizzygear

Did they ever used that gimmick where your PSP acted as the rearview mirror in some racing game for the PS3?

Anyway, they need to cut the price and deliver more full games instead of marketing it as a “companion device”.

The indie focus is nice but indie games are not what i bought a Vita for. Not to mention i can play indie games on plenty of other platforms.
    Also where was Freedom Wars on E3? That game looked promising.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

Just what i wanted: a companion device an accessory to another system, nothing wrong with that at all :)

#17 1 year ago
  18. DrDamn

“Yes tablet/phone was big. I believe Sony will make a play for Vita to do the same thing. And ofc, that is what I mean. And that is following Nintendos lead.”

Vita will just be another supported device in those cases. That isn’t exactly Nintendo’s lead either, as in most implementations it was requesting support for an outside source. Integrating with mobile play rather than a second screen on play – i.e. the touch screen player doesn’t necessarily see what the big screen players see. It’s asymmetric gaming but the implementation is tangibly different.

“As for PSP, how about GBA playing Zelda off screen in MP couch coop on Gamecube?”

That was the two linking up for multiplayer wasn’t it? Rather than the console delivering the output directly to the handheld? Again a different thing.

“My point was that, while nice, Vita isn’t going to provide the same level of function for EVERYONE that Gamepad does for WiiU owners.”

I don’t contest that. That’s not the point of this article though. This is about PSV being a good companion device to the PS4 and based on the features they demoed/taked about at E3 – i.e. remote play (which every PS4 game bar camera games will support) and PS+ links.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DrDamn

As an extra point I’d say the WiiU has the greater possibilities than other implementations because of the fully linked play (i.e. all players are playing on the single box). I don’t think that sort of MP has been exploited yet though. I also like to see what they can do with two screened controllers, but then you have the same issues as PS4/Vita in that it’s a limited user base and extra cost.

#19 1 year ago