PS Plus: July update adds free Battlefield 3, Payday & more

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 12:08 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation Plus subscribers can look forward to free downloads of Battlefield 3 and Payday: The Heist in July, among others. Get the full details here.

Sony posted the July update on PS Blog EU this afternoon, confirming that Battlefield 3 will be available for free as of July 3.

Payday: The Heist drops for free on the same day, and subscribers will also get discounts on the game’s Wolfpack DLC. Saint’s Row: The Third will also be made free to all PS Plus Members.

Also on July 3, PS Vita owners can download a free copy of Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Unit 13.

Kingdoms of Amalur – Reckoning, Lord of the Rings War in the North, The Cave, Rayman Origins and Coconut Dodge will all leave PS Plus as of July 3.

What do you think of the above offering?

1. Max Payne

Meanwhile on Xbox live, you get 6 years old Halo.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Pytox

nice

#2 1 year ago
  3. Prometheus

If they do the same with the PS4, nobody will complain about the necessity of PS+ for multiplayer.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Pytox

@3 driveclub was going to be free no?

#4 1 year ago
  5. NeoSquall

@4 Indeed, Drive Club will be available for free on PS+ for the first 3 months, with more PS4 titles to come.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Innis

@4 A stripped down “Lite” version of Drive Club will be available for PS+ members, not the full game.

#6 1 year ago
  7. marijn1979

@6: I hadn’t heard that. Do you have a source?

#7 1 year ago
  8. MFBB

It will have all the singleplayer missions, online races/challenges etc but some features wont be included to keep the game smaller (they dont want this to be a ~40gb download).

They dont know what excatly will be left out, may be some cars or so.

#8 1 year ago
  9. domnage

One question: Do these games expire even if you have the subscription, or you can play them forever as long as you have the subscription?

#9 1 year ago
  10. CyberMarco

Yoshida said so on Twitter, there will be an upgrade pack for anyone who would like to get the whole game.

As long as you are a PS+ user you have access to the Instant Game Collection. If you stop the sub and re-sub later you still have access to your previous IGC.

On topic, nice move Sony, I still have to boot the games from March though…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Innis

“The PS Plus Edition includes the full version of the game when speaking of features and mechanics. Players can utilize all the online features such as forming clubs and uploading track times but will only play with a limited amount of cars and tracks.”

#11 1 year ago
  12. Kieran

yeah the games expires when ps plus runs out & they will return when you renew it :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. DrDamn

You can play them as long as you have the sub. You just need to have gone through the checkout process with them in the PS Store while they are available. So you don’t need to have them all downloaded, just start the download and cancel it to get it in your download queue for later use.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

Slightly more comforting wording here …

“The only difference between the PS Plus edition and the boxed retail is that there’s a slightly scaled down version of content…

“We haven’t released specific details about what we’re going to refine for the PS Plus Edition yet, but in terms of the gambit of features, you’re going to be able to issue challenges, you’re doing to be able to do asynchronous online races, you’re going to have all of the single player content in terms of events. The specifics we haven’t gone into yet but you’re going to have the full gaming experience.”

#14 1 year ago
  15. domnage

@12, @13 thanks. and those games are region/country free, right? no blocked stuff or something?

#15 1 year ago
  16. JB

Feck I haven`t used my PS3 for years and I never even tried PlayStation Plus. Does it work like Xbox Live, as in you buy a monthly or yearly subscription fee?

Do you buy games with real money or do you use “Sony Points” ?

#16 1 year ago
  17. TrickyAudio

Best thing I’ve probably subscribed to other than RedHot 40+Wives.

Nice one Sony.

#17 1 year ago
  18. VibraniumSpork

Please play Payday, people! Very similar in format to Left 4 Dead – though you shoot cops rather than zombies – and it is a little rougher around the edges. Brilliant co-op shooter though, and there’s levels based on Heat and Point Break for movie buffs.

(Oh, and you don’t need to own the Wolfpack DLC to play the new levels; if someone’s hosting a game with that content you can join it, though you don’t get access to the new weapons.)

#18 1 year ago
  19. CyberMarco

PSN uses real-money currency ($/£/€). You can buy a 3-month or 12-month sub, either directly from PSN or a card from retail. I think Eurogamer.net is still offering a 30-days trial for the UK. http://www.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=87209&utm_source=eurogamer&utm_medium=in-article-promo&utm_campaign=Try+PlayStation+Plus+free+for+30+days+in+the+UK

#19 1 year ago
  20. DrDamn

The only ever region locked title for the PS3 was Persona 4 Arena.

However DLC does tend to need to be bought from region the game has come from – so be aware of that especially for DLC heavy titles like BF3.

#20 1 year ago
  21. JB

@19 Thx ^_^

FFS, need to find my login info, lol – been so long…

#21 1 year ago
  22. NeoSquall

@10 Tell me about it, I still have to finish my first inFAMOUS 2 playtrough after downloading it when it was first released, lol!

@11 Honestly I can live with that

@12 That’s not really an “expiration”, though, it’s just that you lose the “license” to play the game, but they’re still available to download

@13 You don’t even need to start the download and then pause it, you just add them to your account via the Sony Entertainment Network online store

@20 Indeed DLC seem to be region locked, because a couple of months ago I found a used copy of Dante’s Inferno: Divine Edition for 10 Euros at a sale and tried redeeming the DLC code without success. I called PS support after that and they told me the code was indeed still valid, but it couldn’t be redeemed outside the US…

#22 1 year ago
  23. DrDamn

Could you create a US PSN account purely for the purpose of redeeming the code? I think it should still be playable for all profiles.

#23 1 year ago
  24. CyberMarco

!!!QUICK!!!

The Jak and Daxter Trilogy is FREE on PSN [EU/UK at least]

Credits to Pytox

#24 1 year ago
  25. freedoms_stain

@24, they seem to have fixed that hella quick.

#25 1 year ago
  26. NeoSquall

@22 Yeah I did it once to download the Catherine and El Shaddai demos, but I didn’t like the things I had to do to register it, so I just don’t use that account anymore, and of course I’ll never use it to make “economical operations”, because even registering a DLC is technically like purchasing it from the store.

@25 Yeah, it’s already fixed.

#26 1 year ago
  27. xino

@domage
    it is best to have PSN+ because once you download any game, you can download them whenever you want.
    so if you don’t have PNS+ and you get it around Nov, you would miss out on BF3 and cannot download it for free.
    so it’s best to have it asap to have access to free games.

i’m glad BF3 is going to be free, now that I have a better internet, i can judge if the constant disconnections lays on my previous internet or if EA’s server just SUCKS so much.

if the problem does lie on my internet then it’s my fault, if the problem lies on EA. I will never buy their online games brand new ever again

#27 1 year ago
  28. sg1974

Well done Sony, you just won my subs back after a long break.

#28 1 year ago