PS3 update 4.45 makes system inoperable – Sony responds

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 03:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Shortly after the release of a new firmware update for PlayStation 3 a few hours ago, reports of bricked consoles turned up.

The firmware has since been pulled, and we’re awaiting more information on what action those affected should take. According to Gematsu the update allowed you to switch off trophy notifications via the System Settings menu.

UPDATE: Sony has now issued the following statement to Eurogamer on the matter:

“We are aware of reports that the recent PlayStation 3 system software update (version 4.45) has caused the XMB to not display on a small number of PS3 systems. We have temporarily taken 4.45 offline and are investigating the cause of the problem.

“We will announce when the system update is available for download as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience. We kindly ask PS3 users to wait for further details. We will announce when ready.”

1. Bam007

Xbox already did it.

2. POOP CRUSTY

@1 Did they? Have had the console for 7 years and never knew that.

3. Bam007

@2 well, I kinda lied. It has the option to disable notifications, not one in particular for achievements. :p

Oh and also, the update is bricking consoles. Ha ha, kinda funny and in the face of the clowns running around and ripping on Microsoft. IN YO FACE! :p

4. machy

about time they did .. oh wait ps4 is here

5. Phoenixblight

Don’t be stupid. THere have been plenty of times that Xbox patches have bricked consoles as well as MS releasing a system that they knew was going to break later on. Ps3 never had failure rates of RROD. SO in YOUR Face.

6. bakagami

hope they fix this soon, I can’t log in to PSN till I perform the update

7. SlayerGT

@3 At least you can opt out of updating and still play offline..

8. digitalAngst

Does this update remove the Singstar icon?

9. SlayerGT

When you download a video it “prepares” then auto backgrounds the download, rather than ask. Nice.

10. Brenna Hillier

Updated article when I got back from lunch and saw all the “bricked console” warnings. Woah.

11. SlayerGT

Mines good.

12. Bam007

@7 you can do the same on the Xbox 360.

You’re welcome.

13. Brenna Hillier

Updated as the firmware has been pulled.

14. pandulce1

I updated my fat PS3 a while ago with no issues. Thank God.

15. SlayerGT

@14 My old BC60 has a 500gb in it. Ill wait to to update her. Just in case.

16. SlayerGT

@12 Hey thanks :)

17. VHoskins

I updated my slim & it crashed my hard drive, did a restore & was forced to format & still nothing. This is the second time an update has totally fried a hard drive. What’s worse is this hd is only a year old, past warranty. Now I’m going to have a terabyte paper weight. Called to get help & was told to do the restore & if it doesn’t work then I can call back tomorrow evening to see if they can help.

18. G1GAHURTZ

Never mind guys!

Sony is the people’s champ! They understand gamers…

Maybe they will replace all those bricked PS3s for free.

19. Digital Bamboo

Wow, I’m lucky I didn’t get this, as that’s an update I would have jumped all over. I hate trophy notifications.

That would have been bad, very, very bad, as it would be a supreme pain in the ass for me to replace my PS3.

20. NocturnalB

@G1G

Just don’t man… Why get wrapped up in such silly nonsense. It’s a console and a company, they all are, don’t bother with fanboys.

21. zoopdeloop

@18 obviously they will
    Microsoft replaced them 2 years ago (same issue)

22. Clupula

No problems after the update for me.

23. Clupula

Although it is sad to see the Microsoft fanboys wishing people’s consoles would get bricked. Outside of PS3Fanboy, I haven’t seen anyone hoping something like that happens to the Xbone.

But then again, some people just don’t have any class, I guess.

24. BraveLilCrumpet

Sounds like it’s mostly a console with a 500GB or more HDD installed which are getting bricked.
    Although there are reports of consoles with a smaller HDD installed getting bricked but apparently these are smaller percentage.

According to the link they’ll be a fix out tomorrow but anyone with a bricked console will need to reinstall the firmware in Safe Mode.
    I guess you could download the latest (working) version firmware from the Sony support site if your console has been bricked although don’t hold me to that.

I apologize for the bad grammar, I’ve been up most of the night, just going to get into bed now and try and sleep.

25. G1GAHURTZ

Wow. That is shocking.

Where did you see that? Somewhere on the gentrified streets of Brooklyn?

26. Ireland Michael

Now I’m nervous to turn on my PS3.

I have a hospital trip later, for a test that is going more than a tad painful, so I decided I was going to treat myself to The Last of Us after it was over and done with. It would bloody suck if it was bricked… =(

27. G1GAHURTZ

^ The patch has been pulled, Michael. You should be fine to turn your PS3 on now.

28. Djoenz

I havent turned on my ps3 the whole week because I just moved out. Thank goodness I did not turn it on and updated. . . I’ll wait for tomorrow then. Finally off from work. :D

29. Clupula

@25 – No, you bloody blind bollocks, in comment number three.

“the update is bricking consoles. Ha ha, kinda funny and in the face of the clowns running around and ripping on Microsoft. IN YO FACE!”

30. Samoan Spider

@29 Schadenfreude :D. But you’re right in #23, it’s shocking that anyone would wish that on another gamer. That’s how fucking sad platform trolls have become.

31. G1GAHURTZ

@29:

lol!

Authentic British, there, eh?

Anyway, I don’t think he was wishing for it to happen to anyone else. Just laughing at the ones it had already happened to.

Which I admit, isn’t very nice…

32. Clupula

@31 – Lived in London for six months. Picked up a lot of slang, although when I discovered English girls liked American accents, my New York one got stronger as time went on. By the time I left the country, I pretty much sounded like Andrew Dice Clay, only I’d use words like “skint” and called cell phones “mobiles.” Some of it is still in my vocabulary. New Yorkers get very confused when you ask them if they’re “taking the piss.”

Also, you should stop getting your information on Brooklyn from episodes of “Girls.” That’s one small section (Williamsburg) that’s filled with douchebags like that and it’s pretty hated by the rest of Brooklyn. I live in an actual neighborhood, where families have lived here for generations, about a twenty minute walk from me, there’s warehouses and factories. Very blue collar area.

Watch some Robert DeNiro movies or even Requiem for a Dream to get a better idea of the type of place I live.

33. KineticCalvaria

Glad I wasn’t playing this morning. I’ll be very annoyed if I don’t get to finish The Last of Us!

@32, so you’re Jenny from the block?!

34. Erthazus

Ahahahaha. LOL

FIRMWARE UPDATE KILLS A SYSTEM. Console gaming at it’s best.
    you know, when you download firmware update for a PC (Windows 7 – automatic update) it never bricks my PC and I can also not download it and I can still use my discs or software.

35. KineticCalvaria

@34, I thought you owned a playstation 3?

36. Samoan Spider

@34 To be fair though, recently there was a string of laptops from Samsung, Toshiba, HP and so on getting bricked by firmware updates. Not the same I know and not affecting you, but then neither is this bricking of PS3s broadly affecting people, it seems quite specific.

37. Clupula

@33 – Okay, now you’re just trying to upset me. lol.

Jennifer Lopez is from the Bronx. Not Brooklyn. They’re the exact opposite ends of the train line. You get on the D train on Coney Island and ride it for two hours, you’ll get off in the Bronx.

And from the Bronx, you can go to the state of Connecticut, to upstate New York (which is mostly farm land and run-down towns that resemble Silent Hill, believe it or not), Westchester county, which is a glorious mix of gated communities and slums. I’m sure you could probably get to New Jersey from there, too, but I don’t know why you’d want to.

38. KineticCalvaria

@37, it’s all the bloody same to me! Lol.

I will eventually visit New York, then I may have an idea of where these places are. :)

39. G1GAHURTZ

@32:

lol! This is one of my favourite films… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_XgtOQgI

40. OmegaSlayer

Windows OS updates say hello.

41. KineticCalvaria

@40, never had any problems with Windows updates.

42. OwnedWhenStoned

@40 Me neither. When they fail, they fail. But they don’t bring the system down, they just… fail.

43. Moonwalker1982

And what are the people that got affected to do?

44. MCTJim

Glad they pulled the patch..nothing worse than bricking consoles.

45. pandulce1

@42 Just because it hasn’t happened to you doesn’t mean that it has never happened to anyone. Below is just on example of several incidences with the same results.

46. OlderGamer

Best wishes Mike, hope things aren’t too bad for you on your trip today.

47. Ireland Michael

@46 My back is knackered… BUT MY PS3 IS OKAY.

So that’s good then. =P

48. Moonwalker1982

Bricked means it’s over, right? Gone, bye bye, game over? So Sony’s gonna give these unfortunete people new PS3′s?

49. DrDamn

Seems like it’s more of a disc issue, so they could be fixable, probably not without sending them off or putting a new HDD in though.

50. polygem

ahhh ffs…i cannot log in with my account. it automatically updated tonight. this is bullshit.

51. OlderGamer

You need a WiiU Poly ;)

52. fearmonkey

So the question is, if the console is always online, will MS still allow users to update their consoles at their leisure, rather than requiring it.
    I would think so…But this is MS we are talking about. I havent had a bricked console thanks to an update before, ive been lucky, my 360 had a few few close calls.

53. polygem

@51: i *cough* agree

54. manamana

@46 I miss Sega too. But hey, no need to wax sentimental, just hop on the Daytooonaaaa train! :-D

55. Ireland Michael

@46 Try not to get too nostalgic there, OG.

Heck, I remember a big problem at one time with the Dreamcast’s storage media and low quality, unreadable GD-ROMs being distributed back in the day.

Given the ever increasing complexity of modern hardware, I dare say SEGA probably would have been one of the more likely companies to have buggy problems with their hardware, if they were still producing them today.

@50 1) The bad patch was pulled
    2) This is only affecting some units
    3) You can’t just unplug your PS3?

“Say what you want fellas, but watching Nintendo, MS, and Sony often make me wish Sega still made hardware.”

56. Gekidami

If the quality of Segas games these days are anything to go by, any hardware by them would most likely be equally as crappy.

57. Ireland Michael

@56 Really? I thought most of their recent stuff has been phenomenal. The in-house stuff, anyway.

58. polygem

@55: my system installed the patch automatically last night (ps+ option)

the console works well, no problems with the UI but i just cannot log into my psn account, cannot enter the store etc. i always get code 8002A548.

maybe they´re still fixing stuff on the network right now. i tried to reach the telephone support: no chance to get someone on the phone.

i´ll just give it up for now and try again tomorrow. actually planned to play some hitman tonight but don´t feel like getting mad over it today. i mean i actually even could play it…just not with my account.

this could be the reason too:

59. pandulce1

Just saw this on another site posted by user Transient.

“Well, here’s what I’ve tried:
    1.choosing System Update menu item from Safe Mode causes PS3 to lock up. Doesn’t even change screens, it just locks up.

2.choosing Repair Database finishes within about 2 seconds and has no effect

3.choosing Repair Filesystem reports that my drive is corrupt and needs to be reformatted (no thanks!!)

4.swapping back in the original 160GB HDD prompts for System Update and then the system works afterwards.

5.returned to 1TB HDD and get prompt to format (sigh)
    entered Safe Mode with 160GB HDD and hot swapped back to 1TB before starting System Update, results in “A serious error has occurred.
    Contact technical support for assistance. (8002F281)”

Going to go back to the 160GB HDD for now and pray Sony releases a fix. I’ll imagine probably end up having to format it though, which I’m really not ready to do.”

60. G1GAHURTZ

I guess cloud saves aren’t such a bad idea in every scenario.