Mass Effect 4 & Dragon Age 3 to share core mechanics, says BioWare

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 10:20 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect 4 and Dragon Age 3: Inquisition will share several common features under the hood, developer BioWare has confirmed. The first draft of Mass Effect 4′s design document has also been completed.

There it is; Mass Effect 4 in design document form. Don’t you wish you could just open it up and read it all cover-to-cover?

Well, BioWare Montreal studio director Yanick Roy followed up this teasing tweet by saying that the Mass Effect 4 team has pinched several systems from the Dragon Age 3 team:

So does this mean an open world, like Dragon Age 3′s? What do you think?

BioWare is keeping coy about Mass Effect 4′s innards for now, as it’s clearly a long way off, but we do know that it won’t star Shepard. In fact, BioWare told me last year that the hero won’t just be ‘Shepard 2′ in terms of background and motivation. They will be a new character altogether.

What do you make of the above?

Thanks CVG.

1. Samoan Spider

Hmm, well this could prove interesting or not so great but whatever, both titles have piqued my interest :D

Edit: Oh and hell yes would I love to take in the info in that binder!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hirmetrium

I wish the games would diverge a bit more however. Borrowing systems from an “Old School” RPG series for a Sci-Fi RPG/TPS hybrid doesn’t scream good news to me. Hopefully, these are killer RPG systems for inventory and the like that they could likely not do well without.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Demigod

As long as its not a prequel and the ending/s are better they can take as long as they want to make it fun. If its a prequel they can keep it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. karma

Yeah thanks but no thanks. The worst thing this gen has seen, has been the homogenising of gameplay mechanics. I loath health regen, quick time events and tag and kill mechanics. Just get some new ideas already, and make games feel distinct again. Seriously who wants to play the exact same game just with a different narrative, setting and coat of paint?

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheWulf

This isn’t a bad thing at all, to be honest. I feel that fantasy games could use more frenetic action, fantasy combat. I’m tired of seeing things mired in the mundane because nu-school fantasy purists are fucking boring.

[ RANT ]

Old-school fantasy purists tend to remember that there were all sorts of systems for play, and some of them weren’t very number-crunchy at all. Some of them didn’t even use numbers. Some had very interesting systems based upon linguistics and the ability to persuade the DM and your fellow players of what was happening at the time. I’ve actually been seeing that make a comeback.

I honestly think that people who have this Dungeons & Dragons fetish, where it’s all numbers, swords, and sorcery with ZERO novelty are wannabe nerds. They maybe played one game of D&D, once, but they’ve never actually played anything more interesting. Despite there being much better settings out there.

I’m a big fan of Metamorphosis Alpha, myself. RANDOM MUTATIONS.

But yeah, this whole numbers, swords, and sorcery fetish is getting old. Stop trying to be nerds. You’re not nerds. Proper nerds actually appreciate novelty. Proper nerds tend to put more value on being creative in a pen & paper session over having a number fetish.

Really, it’s just the most painfully boring thing ever.

Fantasy needs to pull itself out of this numbers, swords, and sorcery rut. It needs to do new and interesting things. I’ve often pointed out that fantasy isn’t different from sci-fi at all, it’s just different flavours for the same literary tools. So really, you could do anything in fantasy that you could in sci-fi.

Internet? Exoself scenarios? Augmentations? It has no limit!

Yet boring people keep it chained to sexually objectified women and men with pectoral-tits in platemail flailing around with swords and fireballs, and they ensure that EVERY SINGLE ACTION must be tied to a dice-roll. This has actually had the piss taken out of it, I remember that Dead Ale Wives Watchtower thing that had that guy rolling for whether he was drunk or not.

But yes. Fantasy can be so much more, stop being so damned boring.

At this point I’m beginning to think that fantasy fans are anti-intellectual pseudo-intellectuals. Then my head starts to hurt.

Having a number fetish doesn’t make you look smart.

[ /RANT ]

#5 1 year ago
  6. Sanwiches

Do people take the time to read TheWulf’s essays? I’m just wondering.

#6 1 year ago
  7. LexGigantis

@TheWulf: I literally never do this. Having a number fetish may not make you smart, but neither do overly wordy posts in which you bemoan the lack of freshness in ideas in Fantasy RPGS, yet praise Mass Effect 4 borrowing gameplay systems from said Fantasy RPGs. This just makes it look like you didn’t actually read the article.

Secondly, how is it a good thing for gameplay mechanics to be copied and pasted from title to title? You say you want variety and insult “old school gamers and “D&D nerds” yet you don’t seem to realize that Bioware seems to be doing the exact thing you’re bitching about.

I don’t know you, and I try to avoid arguing with someone on the internet as a rule, but IMO this post makes you seem no better than anyone you’re complaining about.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DarkElfa

@6, TheWulf’s posts, while long are always a joy for me to read. They’re no nonsense reading and the kinds of thing we need more of.

#8 1 year ago