Many GameStop stores “out” of Xbox One Day One allocations

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 17:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Yesterday, it was reported that some Gmestop locations had taken Xbox One out of the store database, as one Twitter user noted. Today, Polygon has learned “retail locations around the country” have reached launch-day allocations.

GameStop is still taking pre-orders for the console on its website according to Polygon. I tested this yesterday after the tweet was shared around the net, and again today. It’s true, you can still pre-order it through the web.

“Due to high demand, GameStop is not taking additional store reservations for the Xbox One Day One Edition,” a GameStop rep told the site. “However, reservations can still be made [online]. In the meantime, the Xbox One wireless controller and top Xbox One games like: Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5, and Kinect Sports Rivals are available for pre-order at all GameStop stores or online.”

Retail managers apparently sent out a nationwide email a few days ago telling store to stop taking pre-orders, and some had even stopped taking launch-date orders already.

Polygon called stores around the country, all of which “declined to take Xbox One pre-orders,” the site said.

A store manager in California said the location has only been given an allocation of 16 Xbox Ones, yet were given 60 PS4 allocations and for which it was “still taking orders.”

A Texas store stated: “There’s no point trying any GameStops. We’ve stopped that SKU until we get notice.” A store manager in Ohio said: “All stores have been told to stop until we get some more units from Microsoft.”

Yesterday, I called four stores in my area, which still had launch day SKUs available, so it depends on your area. Today, two of those stores were no longer taking pre-orders for that SKU.

You may wish to go a head and call your local store just in case there are any allocations left – or just pre-order it from the MS Store.

1. CyberMarco

Not surprised!

#1 1 year ago
  2. WENDiGO

I’d say about 30% are hardcore gamers, 10% are die hard fans and 60% are casuals.

#2 1 year ago
  3. superjay779

I have a feeling that many PS4 preorders will not be fulfilled that first day.

#3 1 year ago
  4. polygem

@2: and 100% are fools

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

The Gamestops in my area which is a metropolitan area are already filled up.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MCTJim

I have 2 of each system …all launch systems :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. ps3fanboy

they are in for a shock when they find out they must be online to play their games. and cant sell them or loan them to their buddies…. a complain storm is coming, LOL!

#7 1 year ago
  8. MCTJim

oh and to be honest..I think Sony went a tad over with taking pre-orders that they wont able to fulfill in store. That will be the complaint storm.

#8 1 year ago
  9. lookingglass

The XBO is going to be a very hard system to find for months after release. With MS’s massive NFL deal, adverts will be all over the fall and winter games and they’ll hit the right crowd.

The additional features beyond gaming will speak to a much larger crowd and the sales will reflect that. The PS4 is an impossible sale to a nongamer. There are cheaper streaming boxes and cheaper blu-ray players out there.

In terms of PS4 vs XBO sales I’m predicting:

80 to 20 for the hardcore, forum-going crowd
    30 to 70 for the CoD and Madden crowd
    60 to 40 for the casual crowd
    10 to 90 for nongamers and super casuals

And those demographics get larger as you go down in terms of possible consumers.

I’m excited to see how it pans out.

#9 1 year ago
  10. MCTJim

Both systems will be hard to get around the Christmas Holidays without a doubt. People that pre-ordered systems that are not Launch Day systems are gonna be pretty disappointed when they dont get it on day one. That in itself is going to cause a lot of whining and uproar.

#10 1 year ago
  11. superjay779

@9 agreed

#11 1 year ago
  12. OlderGamer

Always amazes me that what happens on the net isn’t reflective of what happens in my neck of the woods. I ordered my PS4 lil over 24hrs after they started. I am 30th on the list of 32 allocated systems. XBone had 2 orders taken at the time. I would presume that both systems are out of stock at this point. But if I had waited even a couple more hours I wouldn’t have gotten my preorder in for PS4.

Even when Steph called local stores, they had systems left. But this “story” breaks and they are “sold out everywhere, oh dear”. I smell a hype train. And ofc VG247 has to run the story, that is the way it works, no faults to them. They cover games.

The way I see it, PS4 will out sell XBone by a smallish gap this holiday season(based on supplies really). But once the drones of core brand supporters get their systems, I expect XBone sales to flat line. Much like WiiU did. So long as PS4 games trickle out at a decent rate, the system should continue to sell well after launch/holiday.

Until MS fix a few policies and maybe drop the price, XBone will sell slowly. Games are nice but all systems have games. I will be amazed if the XBone sells like hot cakes a year after launch(hell 6months after).

#12 1 year ago
  13. mistermogul

@4 – lol, indeed!

#13 1 year ago
  14. OlderGamer

“30 to 70 for the CoD and Madden crowd
    60 to 40 for the casual crowd
    10 to 90 for nongamers and super casuals”

I disagree. Those folks won’t spend 500usd to buy new hardware. Those guys will keep playing on PS360 and watching their Cable/Sat TV. Those folks aren’t early adaptors normaly. And High investment scares them away. Those folks supported the Wii and are no where to be found for WiiU(hence one of the systems problems).

If MS is counting on them, MS is in deep do-do.

Besides for 500usd you could get a really nice Tablet. That crowd are not interested in consoles right now.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Phoenixblight

MS has a much smaller allotment to give to stores. Its barely half here. I smell a 360 fiasco all over again. They are trying to push the system out early even though the hardware isn’t ready pointed out by MS not even having it out to 3rd parties at E3.

They did the exact same thing for the 360 and what happened there? RROD all over the place.

#15 1 year ago
  16. OlderGamer

I agree PB, and I don’t think MS could recover from something like RRoD this time around. Sony isn’t a year behind and has better hardware for a lower price.

What I am waiting for is for MS to have server issues. Imagine the loads of new XBone owners unable to play because they can’t log in(even for offline games). The launch of MSs new system is going to be a nasty one I think…if for no other reason that people finding out they need online for it to work.

#16 1 year ago
  17. manamana

I normally don’t give much of a fart on which system is selling better. Down the road I had more or less all systems. This time around I just have a personal distaste of Microsofts habit in favouring publishers/adverts over gamers. That’s reason enough to voice my opinion wherever I have a talk with gamers, casual or core.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Junior

Smells like PR BS. When i went to pre order my ps4, I asked if a lot of people were pre ordering the X1. I was told that the stores in the area had a cap of 10 units unlike the ps4 and he said that the ps4 was being pre ordered like crazy. 2 days after pre orders started, they still had half the pre orders available for x1

#18 1 year ago
  19. fearmonkey

@15 – Your absolutely right on. i have talked to two different gamestops in my area now and they both said the same thing, much lower per store Xbone allotments compared to PS4. PS4 actually had more pre-orders…

I could see this working in MS’s favor, making everyone think that “The Xbox One is sold out everywhere” and that its a hot item, when the reality is that they had lower allocated units and PS4′s are outselling them.

I mentioned this before but look at Amazon. Yesterday, Ps4 related items took 10 out of the top 20 spots in video games there, Xbox One was at #1 but PS4 already sold out their Launch editions, and only one Xbox One sku.

It does make MS look good with the proper marketing though. If Anyone has any doubts on how gamers feel about xbone though, just look at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151675469526023&set=a.10150575545216023.434660.16547831022&type=1&permPage=1

It was showing the most recent posts but now when I launch it it shows earlier posts first. IF you go to 1,107 out of 17, 041, its all birds from there lol.

#19 1 year ago
  20. airsick7

@9 Are the super casuals going to even want an XBO for $500?

I think the madden / call of duty crowd might go for that price point, but a super-casual will just buy an ipad instead.

I have a feeling we’ve seen the end of the big 3 making money off Wii fits, angry birds, and braintrainers. There are other devices out there that are much more compelling to that market.

#20 1 year ago
  21. edragon

PETITIONS:

Microsoft: Change your “Must be online once every 24h” policy!

Microsoft: Change your “Trade-in and resell your disc-based games” policy!

Microsoft: Change your family settings and game sharing policy

Microsoft: Make the Xbox One backwards compatible

#21 1 year ago
  22. mistermogul

@16 – “I don’t think MS could recover from something like RRoD this time around.”

Yeah they can. Last time they (eventually) set aside $1b for RROD alone. The company is currently valued at just under $300b so they could take a few RROD hits!

Let’s hope they don’t have to again.

EDIT: @21 – I’m not signing those petitions, the damage has already been done and even if MS relaxed all their shite policies, they can still kiss my ass for trying to force them on us in the first place.

#22 1 year ago
  23. MCTJim

I say Sony oversold and people are going to be pissed when they don’t get a system ON Launch day. There is going to be a huge shortage of both systems for the Holidays and a lot of disappointed fans..but more on the Sony side than the X1 side.

#23 1 year ago
  24. sg1974

If you were one of the people who ordered a Day One One, you’d be wise to stick it straight on Ebay then go out and buy another one of One and pocket the difference.

#24 1 year ago
  25. OlderGamer

I think they could weather that storm mistermogul. It wouldn’t break their bank. But I don’t think the user base would come back to them. I don’t think they can get away with that again. If their servers crash left and right, or if systems do break, it is likely that people will leave the brand in waves.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Phoenixblight

Keep grasping at straws. There is nothing to support your theory.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Seraphemz

When I pre-ordered my PS4 a couple of days ago. They only had like 6 left.

I asked about the Xbox and they said that people were actually cancelling their orders and switching to the PS4…

#27 1 year ago
  28. sg1974

My mate said this, the bloke at my local shop said that. Only the official sales figures will tell. ;)

And people are kidding themselves if they think the One won’t sell well in the US. MS is so far ahead in the US that even if a large number of gamers switch to PlayStation the One will still do great numbers. Outside of the US however, I think MS is fucked. I’ll even wager a small amount that the 360 will outsell it in the first six months of release in PAL.

#28 1 year ago
  29. gamereck36

I am sticking with my Xbox360. Why upgrade when the game are coming to the 360 I don’t see the need to upgrade to XBOX ONE.

#29 1 year ago
  30. mistermogul

@25 – Yes very true OG. Another round of RROD and I think most consumers would never buy MS hardware again. I know I wouldn’t!

#30 1 year ago
  31. manamana

#28 +1

Keep them talking. No matter what, the real numbers will matter in a year, when games like Titanfall and Destiny are out and people have made up their minds, if DRM/24h/etc. really is that much of a letdown. I’m just happy that at least one next-gen console cherish my gamer needs.

#31 1 year ago
  32. sg1974

@30 People have short memories and will put up with a lot to get the console and games they want. How many of us have had two or more RRoDs and still went back for more? My 360 is my fourth; my brother has had three.

@29 +1. My 360 is going nowhere, while (eventually) the PS3 will make way for a PS4.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Aullah

What happens if someone buys a used xbone? in the future ofc… not at launch day.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Belmont

People approach X1 like this:
    -It kills my ownership rights,I have to be online, It is expensive and Kinect is gimmick,….. But Halo. I pre-order.

#34 1 year ago
  35. OlderGamer

Just me, maybe, but I would rather play Destiny, Titanfall, BF4 or COD before I would sit down with a new Halo(or Gears for that matter). And a gamer like myself, only needs one or two shooters. I can’t live on them. Plus Hawken is coming out. That looks damn nice. The problem with Halo, is…well, it is just Halo. Was great on XB Orig, just too many other more interesting things to play. Halo needs to evolve a bit more to catch my thumbs.

#35 1 year ago
  36. salarta

I was concerned and annoyed at first when I saw that Gamestop stores are sold out of XBox One allocations yet are still taking orders for PS4s, but then I saw the part in this article about just how many allocations at least one store is actually getting.

A measly 16 XBox One allocations… compared to 60 for PS4. And that’s with Sony expecting they won’t be able to meet demand for the PS4.

What this suggests to me is that either Microsoft won’t be able to manufacture as many as Sony, Microsoft anticipates selling lower numbers at first… or, much more damning if true, Microsoft is deliberately shorting the first shipment so that they can use “the XBox One sold out” as PR for the next wave of shipments with expectations that people will blindly buy it in droves with such talk.

#36 1 year ago
  37. fearmonkey

@35 – “Halo needs to evolve a bit more ” so it would be “Halo:Combat Evolved…again!!”
    Sorry, wasnt sure if your comment was meant as a pun, but it made me laugh :)

#37 1 year ago
  38. OlderGamer

Fully intended ;)

#38 1 year ago
  39. SplatteredHouse

The thing being, the majority could well end up on eBay, Day One, courtesy of opportunists artificially jacking up the resell price!

#39 1 year ago
  40. MCTJim

@26 what do you mean? Launch systems for both the xbox 360 and PS3 were completely sold through and the stores overbooked pre-orders and could not keep up with the systems on the day one launches..People got their new systems weeks later.

How soon people tend to forget..I know, I had pre-ordered and had to wait for both systems.

#40 1 year ago
  41. laughing-gravy

A lot of people are actually misreading this if you go over to Gamespot’s UK web site they are basically saying that MSoft hasn’t given them enough units. It isn’t because the system is popular, they are refusing stock because there is no demand. Also it seems as if Gamestop is pissed at MSoft over the used game issue.

#41 1 year ago
  42. OwningXylophone

“GameStop senior managers have sent word to store managers informing them to no longer accept preorders until Microsoft makes additional stock available.”

Does not equal:-
    “they are refusing stock because there is no demand”

They are refusing to take pre-orders as they have no stock. Simple. The only thing you can take away from that is that Sony are promising plenty more PS4′s for launch than MS is XBone’s. Pretty sure it’s in their best interest to stock it if they can, as anyone pre-ordering a console is likely to be ordering some games and maybe accessories to go with it. Easy money.

#42 1 year ago
  43. laughing-gravy

@42 Do you really think they aren’t pissed at MSoft for the used game policy? If it were only a question of stock levels then why are they still offering it online? It just doesn’t add up.

#43 1 year ago
  44. killersense

hey guys rumors flying like crazy regarding microsoft backtracking on all drm stuff. this one is strong and news expected later

#44 1 year ago
  45. sg1974

@45 They already started “clarifying” their policies last week. When they first mentioned used game restrictions they were very clear in that used games would attract a fee (though it wasn’t clear if the fee was payable by the store or the buyer). After the shitstorm they started backtracking – sorry, clarifying that policy, by saying publishers could choose to opt in or out (or something like that, I’m starting to lose track of who said what at this point).

#45 1 year ago
  46. laughing-gravy

@44 If true it would only show them to be incompetent.

#46 1 year ago
  47. tcc

Attempt to create demand by an orchestrated shortage of supply?

#47 1 year ago
  48. DeVitowned

Exactly what’s going on here. Same thing happened with PS2 and Wii. It’s a great way of stirring up a bit of panic among consumers to force the impulse buy.

As for my local Gamestop in the butthole of Tennessee, a work mate preordered the last XB One.

#48 1 year ago
  49. NinjaHart

#49 1 year ago
  50. gargus

Of course they are out of stock. Microsoft is limiting stock to create a demand.

Anyone that knows anything about retail is customers will be rampant for a product they can not buy. Even if they don’t really want it they will want to be someone who actually got one while everyone else is shit out of luck.

The more places sold out, the greater illusion of demand it has, the greater the illusion the more people who will snatch the next shipment up as quickly as they can.

Understocking a well known item is a guaranteed way to make sure it will stay sold out for awhile and make people want one.

#50 1 year ago