Battlefield 4 competition is “beneficial for everyone,” says Bach

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 21:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE’s Patrick Bach is of the opinion that competition for Battlefield 4 is good for the industry, and the developer is working hard to ensure the franchise doesn’t get diluted.

The shooter has competition from Call of Duty: Ghosts this fall, and then continued post release competition from Destiny and Titanfall, – and likely more come next year.

“I think [competition is] beneficial for everyone,” said Bach to Gamespot. “Consumers, first, of course, they get more choice. For us, we need to think about what is Battlefield really about so we don’t dilute the franchise in any way. We need to focus down on what makes Battlefield awesome, and make it even more awesome.

“And I think Battlefield 4 hopefully is a good testament that we’re doing that. I can’t really see any downside to having multiple games being great. I’m happy for the consumer, first, and I think we will step up our game to fight the competition even harder. We think we have the best game; we need to prove it.”

Battlefield 4 is out in October on PC, PS3 and XBox 360. It will release on PS4 and Xbox One when the consoles release.

1. G1GAHURTZ

So they’ve given up wanting to see the competition “rot from the core”, then?

How nice…

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

I’d wait and see. There’s no way they can keep the arrogance in once it’s primetime.

“Durrr, everybody else is stupid because we have duh flaky buildings”

#2 1 year ago
  3. Sanwiches

The competition comes from the fact that the game goes in sale at the same time as COD, but other than that, it stops there. Anyway most kids buy COD, and older peeps buy either COD or BF, or both. Whateves.

Luckily, this time around, BF won’t be so goddamn weak on consoles. Well at least I hope.

#3 1 year ago
  4. G1GAHURTZ

Both CoD and BF are looking stale to me, tbh.

I think next gen may well open up a few avenues that these guys can’t go down.

I don’t think Acti would dare change a thing about CoD, and BF is BF, so there isn’t much room to manoeuvre there, either.

I’ve got a strong feeling that other, newer, IPs will take these two out, pretty soon.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Sanwiches

I wouldnt worry about that Giga. COD and BF will still be fun in a few years from now. Hell, it’s been fun since 2004 at least for me. We’re just getting older, but the following generation of kids will still like those games like always.

It isn’t hard. Kids like to shoot digital guns on digital kids controlled by real kids :p

#5 1 year ago