The Division second screen client and classless characters detailed

Tuesday, 18th June 2013 04:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Division boasts a companion app which allows the player to control a drone in-game, in real time.

You’ll be able to fire up The Division app anywhere you have an Internet connection on your tablet and jump into the game. The drone you control can join groups allows players to join groups, provide buffs, debuff enemies, tag out-of-sight foes, and heal allies. When it has performed enough actions it can unleash a special missile attack.

“It’s where we’re really setting the bar for next-gen games. Our companion gaming is real-time simultaneous gameplay on the tablet,” game director Ryan Barnard told Ubiblog.

“You have your own persistence within the drone and have progression and skills and talents, a lot like the main game. So it’s not just a fluffy armory or an application. It’s a real game client that you can use to interact with the game itself.”

Barnard also explained that The Division does not have archetypes or classes, despite Ubisoft’s respect for the “holy trinity” of RPGs.

Instead, players earn points which they invest in abilities from any role; you can respec at any time should the need arise or you change your mind.

“So in the first 15 minutes of the game, we’re not asking you to choose what you are and how you want to play The Division. You’ll discover how you want to play while playing the game,” Barnard said.

“How your Division agent and mine work together is very important. Being open and not being class-locked will allow you to go back to your skills and talents and make adjustments.”

The Division is fully playable in single player but is all about co-op, PvP and faction versus faction gameplay. It’s expected on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2014.

1. aaron_avelino

one question, does this game requires internet connection to play SP?

2. Phoenixblight

Its a MMO so yes.

3. SlayerGT

@2 MMO? Or online RPG? I would like to know if co op is possible without PVP.

4. Phoenixblight

THere is very little info on the game. But the way they spoke about about the classless system and how the game plays it is very much a MMO or MMORPG with shooting mechanics being the core gameplay.

“Each player will have his own little chunk of the world. Everything in that part of the world is persistent for him, and his friends can come over and help him out, kind of like Animal Crossing without the talking tanuki. The developers believe this will allow for a strong single-player experience while still having a visible impact on the player’s slice of the world. There are places in the world that are persistent for everyone: the PvP areas. You won’t want to travel around them without friends, but unfortunately, Bernard couldn’t reveal more.”

5. Joe_Gamer

This game seems nice, the drone thing on tablet…less nice…more pointless really. Everyone wants to shove tablet gaming into their shit, how has that been working for Nintendo again?

6. Phoenixblight

It makes sense. Ubisoft did it with Rainbow 6, they are doing it with Watch DOgs multiplayer, and for Division, EA is also doing it with Battlefield 4. It will not go away. It gives a gamer a chance to play it when not at home on a console even if it is small bite size of the actual game. It also gives the game a longer tail after release. Actually pretty ingenious. Now my tablet can join in on the fun. :P

7. Joe_Gamer

I just don’t… I mean, When I’m not at home where I have a half dozen consoles and gaming PC’s. I’m out with a purpose, visit family, watch a movie, drink a beer(just one I swear!), work, work, more work, drive to work. There’s just not much time in my life where picking up a tablet for gaming is going to be an appealing option to me. I suppose I’m just getting old, change is bad and whatnot. Now My daughter? she fucking LOVES that god damn kindle, it’s crazy.

8. Phoenixblight

My tablet is actually for the wife and my daughter to use. I personally only have touched a handful of times like looking up walkthroughs and such. I have no reason to bring it to work with me because my breaks tend be 10 mins at a time and I have a computer readily available. Now these games using the tablet in a interesting way like Watchdogs or COmmander mode. I can see myself using the tablet more maybe not at work but at home when the TV is not accessible. Its an option at least.

9. Joe_Gamer

Hrm, getting the wife to run the drone for you…genius?

10. robmlufc

It’s not an MMO, they were quite clear about that at E3. The world is persistent to yourself.

11. NeoSquall

Let’s say this game will further blur the lines between Online Co-OP/PvP and full on MMORPGs.
    The companion app also looks like a perfect fit for the PS Vita, further enforcing a sense of purpose for the console as an almost essential accessory for the full PS4 “experience”.

P.S.: If any PR takes this I want a cut of the profits :D