Miyamoto would liked to have “done more” with Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

Tuesday, 18th June 2013 18:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto feels the firm could have “done more” with 1987′s Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link.

Speaking with Kotaku during E3 last week, Miyamoto said he doesn’t feel Nintendo has “ever made a bad game, per se,” but he wished more had been done with the aforementioned title in the Zelda series.

“When we’re designing games, we have our plan for what we’re going to design but in our process it evolves and grows from there,” Miyamoto said. “In Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link, unfortunately all we ended up creating was what we had originally planned on paper. I think specifically in the case of Zelda 2 we had a challenge just in terms of what the hardware was capable of doing.

“So one thing, of course, is, from a hardware perspective, if we had been able to have the switch between the scenes speed up, if that had been faster, we could have done more with how we used the side-scrolling vs. the overhead [view] and kind of the interchange between the two. But, because of the limitations on how quickly those scenes changed, we weren’t able to.

“The other thing, is it would have been nice to have had bigger enemies in the game, but the Famicom/NES hardware wasn’t capable of doing that. Certainly, with hardware nowadays you can do that and we have done that, but of course nowadays creating bigger enemies takes a lot of effort.”

Zelda 2 has sold 4.38 million copies and earned Nintendo Power’s Game of the Year Award in 1988.

1. YoungZer0

Well now is your chance to redeem yourself: Make a new proper Zelda game.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

This is the only Zelda I played, back when I had an NES, and I only played it for about an hour, as it didn’t really interest me. I’m told it’s the worst one and I guess this article confirms that.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Cobra951

I think they should have done away with the sidescrolling perspective altogether, and stuck to overhead like every other 2D Zelda. The NES was capable of much better than Zelda 1′s tech too. Have a look at SNK’s Crystalis sometime. Granted, that came out in 1990, when cartridge memory was cheaper than in the mid-80s.

#3 1 year ago
  4. hitnrun

Well, I’m glad you didn’t, Shiggy. Zelda 2 is probably the most underrated game of all time. And I haven’t really enjoyed myself in a Zelda game since I realized that Ocarina was a field.

The bigger enemy concept is interesting though. I could envision something like an 8-bit version of the Super Metroid bosses being memorable in Z2. Someone should mod that in. Of course the smaller enemies probably made them focus on the memorable swordplay in a way they wouldn’t have otherwise.

#4 1 year ago
  5. CPC_RedDawn

I may sound stupid, but isn’t an Ocarina a musical instrument. A field is a plane of grass, which in Ocarina Of Time is Hyrulian Field.

#5 1 year ago
  6. hitnrun

@5 Yes, I was using a gamer shorthand term for “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.”

“Was a field” is the criticism itself. Without wanting to start up a longform debate, the game is among the highly praised of all time but is not universally loved, with my opinion being on the “not” side of that equation.

#6 1 year ago
  7. sh4dow

Haha my favorite games of the Zelda series are actually Ocarina of Time AND Zelda 2. Take that ;)
    So I for one am glad that Zelda 2 turned out the way it did.

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

Yeah I love Zelda 2 as well. I beat that game far more then I did the first Zelda. But I still think the SNES one was best of all time.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Digital Bamboo

@hitinrun Very interesting essay linked there.

While I do consider myself a pretty big Zelda fan, the series is not without its flaws.

However, I don’t believe things to be as dire as the writer made them out.

Also, never much liked Zelda II, and A Link to the Past is perfect.

#9 11 months ago