FIFA 14: next-gen build not hitting PC as users have low-spec machines

Tuesday, 18th June 2013 11:14 GMT By Dave Cook

FIFA 14 is heading to PC this year, but it won’t be powered by EA’s next-gen Ignite Engine. The reason, the publisher says, is that too many people still have low-spec rigs that can’t handle the PS4 and Xbox One version of the game.

Speaking with Polygon, EA Sports executive vice president Andrew Wilson said “Even though there were some PCs on the marketplace that could run that engine, the lion’s share of PCs on the marketplace could not,” and added, “The majority of the gamer base that was playing the game on PC did not have a PC spec that would work with that.”

Although FIFA 14 will launch in its current-gen form on PC, Wilson didn’t rule out the next-gen Ignite version further down the line. He said, “So could I see the potential for EA Sports Ignite to make it to PC in the future? Yes, I think it’s possible, but a couple of things need to happen.”

In order for it to happen, EA Sports would need to see the average spec of FIFA PC players increase across the board.

So what do you think? Will this rise happen in time for the next-gen FIFA 14 launch, or will it be a while yet?

Thanks MCV.

1. noherczeg

“I think it’s possible, but a couple of things need to happen”

Like what? A gazillion of people will upgrade their PCs just because of FIFA? Sure…. I’m wondering how bad the situation actually is since FIFAs never required that much horsepower IMHO :O

#1 1 year ago
  2. Francis O

LOL!!!! EA is on the BS again. Just admit you’re too lazy to put it on PC and you don’t want to impose DRM again after the disaster that was SimCity. F-ing EA, your BS has no effect on most smart people. I see your lies.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bomba Luigi

Maybe People with High Specs Machines just don’t want to install Shitty Programms on there PC like Origin.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Atmey

Hey EA, my phone is can run 1080p at 60fps, can 360 do that?

#4 1 year ago
  5. sg1974

But…but…every PC is years ahead of even the PS4 and One, isn’t it? That’s what all the PC gamers keep telling me, anyway.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Atmey

Another thing EA, have you ever heard of video settings?

#6 1 year ago
  7. TrickyAudio

This cannot be right surely? All the PC nuts on here tell us that basically everyone has a PC that blows a console out of the water :D /banter

#7 1 year ago
  8. MidlifeAxe

So, if they were to port it to the PC and users were to put it on the lowest settings possible, it still couldn’t run?

Sounds like bad optimization to me.

#8 1 year ago
  9. jayc4life

My laptop can run NBA 2K13 perfectly without stutter, I think it can handle EA Sports Ignite without a terrible fuss. Would be terribly nice (albeit wishful thinking) if they gave us the option of downloading the Ignite next-gen version based on if Origin detects we’re running on a machine capable of handling it.

Has Konami said anything about bringing the Fox Engine onto PC for Pro Evo yet?

#9 1 year ago
  10. undermyrules

another win for Pes 14 on PC platform

#10 1 year ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

Reprint.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OwnedWhenStoned

As a PC gamer I have to ask: does anyone really care? How many copies of FIFA do EA shift on the PC anyway? I know I’ve never bought one.

FIFA is one of the few games I’d rather play on my PS3.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Schwarzerwind

I don’t even play sports games, but I have to chime in that this is total and complete BS all around.

There is such a thing as “Minimum Specs”, but if you look at any PC game box, those specs are PRETTY DAMNED MINIMUM. There’s barely a game out there that can’t be run on a desktop PC that someone paid at least $700 for, and that’s about the average going price for a PC these days (pre-built).

#13 1 year ago
  14. minxamo

Granted most PCs aren’t as powerful as PS4/xbox one, but anyone who is remotely serious about gaming should have a PC which can easily run this engine, at least on low settings.

#14 1 year ago
  15. GrimRita

@14 my PC is more powerful than an xbox 1, ps4 and PS3 all put together. EA are just using this as an excuse to justify poor sales of their shit game on the PC.

They tried and failed to beat Football Manager with their effort of FIFA Manager. Its funny how games like Total War sell in huge numbers, Starcraft 2, hell even GRID2.

But the EA PR bullshit machine is in full swing because they make this sweeping statement without qualifying what a ‘low spec’ pc is.

#15 1 year ago
  16. OlderGamer

Nevermind. G1GA set me straight. Still tho, if current build engines and Next gen build engines don’t offer much of a difference on PC. That in and of itself kind of speaks volumes too.

#16 1 year ago
  17. G1GAHURTZ

The game is coming out on PC, OG.

It’s just not using the updated engine. That’s all.

Like I said in the first story, before Dave published it again:

“But what’s the point of going to all of the trouble of developing a brand new PC version, using the new engine, if “the lion’s share” of your customers won’t see any difference from the last version?

They’ll probably be playing with all settings on low/minimum, anyway, so why take funds out of your budget for the hardcore, tiny minority?”

#17 1 year ago
  18. OlderGamer

Gotcha G1GA, my bad.

Heading off to grab some caffine now lol.

#18 1 year ago
  19. TheWulf

I find this statement weird. The latest Steam survey directly contradicts their beliefs, so I’d like to know where they’re pulling their information from. I hope it’s not Origin. Seriously, I genuinely hope it’s not Origin.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Rockin a Jack D

No loss for me personally. I hate sport games. Plus my money is better spent on decent titles, rather than run-of-the-mill FIFA/EA Sport games.

#20 1 year ago
  21. OwnedWhenStoned

@19 it might be Origin. You don’t need a massive spec to run SimCity 5 after all..

#21 1 year ago
  22. GrimRita

@19 It probably is. Given how tiny the user base is with the majority owning a copy of the Sims/city etc is it any wonder most have low specs.

Like I said,its just the EA PR bullshit machine in full swing

#22 1 year ago
  23. GwynbleiddiuM

@TheWulf You gotta know why, it’s the Origin. It failed, and people won’t purchase things on Origin unless they have to, last game I bought from EA on my PC was FIFA 13, and it stops there. EA Games being exclusive to Origin (as in they need Origin to run) has done more harm to their sales than good. They were doing fine on Steam, they got greedy and wanted their own platform. Now, these are all excuses they make to throw shit at PC gamers. We all now that the average gamer can play it with better quality than any consoles, they are just pissed that Origin didn’t improve their sales on PC. FIFA 14 visually isn’t much better than FIFA 13 based on what they’ve shown so far. I seriously doubt that the Ignite engine would need graphical power it sounds like something that needs processing power of a CPU than a GPU to me.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Dirk

It’s the same nonsense they pulled a few years back when the PC was still getting the PS2 version of Fifa.
    They really need to stop including office pcs in their surveys.

I guess this means pc users get the 360 version of Titanfall.

#24 1 year ago
  25. insainity

I just made an account on this site to say that “You can go fu%k yourself EA.”

#25 1 year ago