The Division: gamers petition Ubisoft for PC release

Monday, 17th June 2013 11:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Tom Clancy’s The Division raised many eyebrows at E3 last week. While it was only confirmed for PS4 and Xbox One, gamers are now petitioning for a PC version and Ubisoft is encouraging people to sign it.

At the time of writing the ‘Ubisoft: Release Tom Clancy’s The Division for PC’ petition has 47,938 supporters.

The petition statement reads, “Tom Clancy’s The Division should be released for PC for many reasons but the most important one is that the release of this amazing game will only be for consoles.

“This leaves out the PC community. This leaves out those of us who like playing games on our PC’s more than console. This leaves out those of us who can only play on PC for whatever reason or are best on PC, whatever the case maybe. In the end the issue is that Tom Clancy’s The Division is not being released for PC and that is completely unfair to an entire community who would otherwise miss a beautiful experience.”

DSOGaming reports that during a Machinima interview, the team at Ubisoft encouraged gamers to sign petitions for a PC release and raise interest.

Following the game’s reveal we reported that Ubisoft isn’t ruling out other platforms for The Division besides PS4 and Xbox One, so it’s possible that the petition may work.

Would you like to see The Division launch on PC? Let us know below.

Thanks RPS.

1. Samoan Spider

As a PC gamer, when I read this kind of thing, I think of THIS!

Don’t get me wrong, it’d be great, but I hate begging lol. If they don’t want my money then that’s absolutely fine. I’ll have plenty of other things to play anyhow.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Max Payne

I think people are little bit edge-y about it .The game was just announced and still far away from release date. Also , I don’t Massive entertainment (who was pc only developer) would skip PC with mmo-ish game .

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

I would like a PC or Wii U release. I don’t plan on getting the Xbox One or PS4 anytime soon.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ballz

petitions http://i.imgur.com/BjrbN.png

#4 1 year ago
  5. tezzer1985

I get confused with console development.

These games are created on PC, with very high specs, and they scale them down to fit on the PS3/360, with the new generation they will not need to scale down like they did previously…that’s how I’m reading it.

So if the games are made on PC, why do we not get PC versions as standard?? I’m always reading about people wanting or hoping of a PC version of a game, just like The Division, and also GTA5

#5 1 year ago
  6. Bam007

I game on all platforms (minus the Wii/Wii U… sold the Wii a long time ago) and PC gamers always come across as the whiny type. With all the freedom they hold over console gamers, when something isn’t announced for the PC right away, they get to making petitions to try and push the publisher(s) to consider a PC release.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

Anyone else feel like a 5 year old wrote the petition?

#7 1 year ago
  8. silkvg247

Heh, my take on this is – leave it. It’s the publishers loss and my experience with Ubisoft recently is that their PC games are dogshit. For example Settlers 7, which I’d love to play some more but can’t thanks to catastrophic graphical glitches the likes of which I’ve never seen on any game in the past decade.

#8 1 year ago
  9. MFBB

#5 that is not how it works and console games are not down scaled PC games…

If you want to learn about game development, use google and read everything you can find.

PC only gamers are starting to beg a lot in the recent years.
    While it is there fault it became like this for not buying games.

I am always disappointed when i read news like a few months after The Witcher 2 release, that the game sold x amount of copies but was pirated like 5 times as much.

I play on all platforms and i buy my games (with money).

I am the true master race :) not the PC only game stealers.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Fin

Yep

There’s a link on the petition to another petition for Last of Us PC.

Hah!

#10 1 year ago
  11. OwnedWhenStoned

@8 Very true. I was looking wistfully at my copy of Settlers 7 the other day.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OwnedWhenStoned

My 2c: I wouldn’t bother petitioning any developer for a game. The PC has more great games than I can physically play (looking at my embarrassingly unplayed Steam games list) so I wouldn’t say it was worth it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Bomba Luigi

Petitions can be a good Thing, but I feel they get way to much over used latley. I am a PC Gamer, but that dosn’t mean every Game must come to PC. And is there really a TLoU Petition? Thats the definition of Silly Petition.

There always will be Games you need a Console for, and there always will be Games you need a PC. But maybe I just don’t care enough about this Game to understand that. But than again, If I would care, I would play it on PS4 and thats fine.

What I wanna Say… I don’t know, I can’t remember. Just ignore me.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Keivz

“Unfair”, lol! Utterly pathetic. It’s oh so satisfying to see the ‘master race’ beg.

I will say that in this day and age a Kickstarter would make more sense than a petition. If they really want the game, they should put their money where their mouths are.

#14 1 year ago
  15. SlayerGT

@10 Ha! That’s awesome :) started it last night myself. Its quite good, understating of course.

#15 1 year ago
  16. backup

hahahahahahahahahaha
    PC gamers are beggars = fact
    hahahahahahahahahahaha

begggggggggggggggggars beg more

#16 1 year ago
  17. akash1988

Someone make a petition for MGS V for PC.

#17 1 year ago
  18. backup

cry more hahahahaha

#18 1 year ago
  19. backup

because PC gamers are beggars

#19 1 year ago
  20. backup

this is best news from VG247 hahaha
    @17 hell yeah
    begging is in blood of PC gamers go go go

#20 1 year ago
  21. macronia

u know (backup), it is very rude of u to treat people like this .. what is the problem with petition thing ?! , but in my opinion , i will never sign any , if the developer wants to develop game on PC , then he do it from the start , like i never expected to see Castlevania 1 and 2 on PC , MGS V might as well come to PC , many good games are coming to PC in this year or next , many PC gamers will be busy playing awesome games better than the division , it is not like the end of the world :)

#21 1 year ago
  22. Kalain

All I’m going to say is:

#PS4noDRM

#22 1 year ago
  23. Mesanic

First @backup: You’re one of the most obvious trolls I’ve ever encountered. Making such a generalized statement about all PC gamers appropriately puts you in that position.

Secondly: I’m a PC gamer and I do it because it just makes sense. Why on earth would I custom build a PC that can handle any game on the market and then go spend $400 – 500 on a console (smaller and lesser PC) merely because developers want me to.

Consoles contain the same parts (only downgraded) and have fewer capabilities than even a lot of the retail comps you can buy from Best Buy. So there is no reason to go console over PC, unless you’re incapable of building a comp, can’t afford to, or you enjoy paying more money overall for a console than you would a PC.

If it’s a controller thing, if you do some research, you’ll quickly find how easy it is to use all of these Xbox and PS controllers on a PC with full-functionality.

I can think of SO many reasons that PC’s make more sense, and in that alone, is the evidence that most games (by default) should be sold for PC. That is, if they actually want sales. Cause I know millions of people on Steam that would be happy to give up their money for this game, myself included.

#23 1 year ago
  24. backup

instead of calling me troll
    why don’t u make forward and prove PC gamers don’t have habit of begging everything

So u said u don’t want to buy consoles (smaller and lesser PC) and it’s your own decision

similar to that Developers can do watever they want who are u to tell them
    which game to release on which platform

#24 1 year ago
  25. CaptPierce

With tons of PC gamers raging on about how their experience playing games is so much damn superior to everyone else, why do they waste their time on whining or pleading for games to come out for it that are exclusive to consoles, or get hate filled rage when PC games go to consoles (Crysis?) Sure they’re dumbed down but more people will enjoy it. Besides, want the old shit? Play the old game.

Rockstar must STILL be getting thousands of letters everyday begging for Red Dead Redemption to come to PC, and people still threw immeasurable bitch fits on the GTA PC version.

I’m NOT saying every PC gamer does this, just those that like to flaunt it, really.

#25 1 year ago
  26. OwnedWhenStoned

@25. I agree with alot of what you say here. I think it comes from the expectation of experience.

The main problem is that PC gamers have been spoiled in the past. Those days are gone now but we still remember them.

Regarding GTA and bitch fits: a bad port is a bad port. If you’ve stumped up money for a game and it doesn’t work (for me, control and audio was totally borked on GTA 4) then you’ve got the right to complain, no matter who you are.

I’ve still got a copy of LA Noire that doesn’t work at all. There would seem to be no excuse for that, especially when you think that the development environment was probably PC..

#26 1 year ago
  27. GwynbleiddiuM

@Dave I implore you to take action against deranged lunatics like “backup”, what is the point oh having a resident fool in the comment section running around spewing utter garbage like:

“hahahahahahahahahaha
    PC gamers are beggars = fact
    hahahahahahahahahahaha

begggggggggggggggggars beg more”

Is this even a good representation of the VG247 community and how the folks in-charge handle their community? From the day this lunatic created his account here, he’s been hard at work to derail the discussion with this kind of behavior. Nobody would miss him, nobody would care if someone dropped the ban hammer hard on his head, everyone would even thank you, I know I would. He’s not funny, he doesn’t partake in on going discussion, he doesn’t contribute in any way, he just wants to spew crap, please Dave, Pat, Steph, Brenna, anyone! send this thing back to whence it came.

#27 1 year ago
  28. undermyrules

@27 + 1 mil

#28 1 year ago
  29. DjPuffnStuff

This is what makes me hate pc gamers. I love my pc to death, I would marry it if I could!! but the constant begging, whining, and pirating. Console gaming is gonna exist. A real gamer doesn’t bog themselves down to either pc or console. If you buy a game simply because it’s pretty, means nothing. Because Skyrim isn’t the prettiest game out there and it’s amazing. What happened to relaxing on the couch chilling while playing some gaming without having to worry about every single part inside your gaming system.

#29 1 year ago
  30. LooneyLad

@mods, admins and such

Please ban this deeply disturbed person that “backup” is. We really dont need someone like him for awesome feedback.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Vice

Anyone really has any doubt that games like this Devision, or Destiny or Grand Theft Auto 5 will appear on PC after some delay? Really? That’s naive. Just wait a month or two.
    In fact, there’s only one superhit game I can even think of right now that never made it to PC’s despite being on both consoles (aka not really an exclusive) — Red Dead Redemption. Which is not such a huge loss, really. Repetitive and with probably the single worst ending in history of games.
    Hell, even Alan Wake made it to PC, EVEN MORTAL KOMBAT ANNOUNCED FOR PC I MEAN FIGHTING GAME!!!

#31 1 year ago
  32. TheWulf

I think PC gamers are going about this wrong.

They should let the vacuum exist, that way it can instead be filled by an indie title, which would likely be better in all honesty. I’ve made this example with Thief. I don’t want the direly awful Dishonored clone that’s being knocked out at EIDOS, the one that’s supposedly a ‘Thief’ game. What I would love to see instead is a developer who has the perfect engine for such a game to create it.

I’ve pointed out many times before — as I will again — that Frictional Games are actually in a good position, here. They already have the perfect engine for a Thief game. It’s truly perfect. All they need on top of that is some decent AI, and they can make a spiritual successor to the Thief series. What I want to see more of isn’t average, grey-brown games making their way to the PC via begging, but rather indies showing the mainstream publishers how it’s done. I genuinely believe that, most of the time, indie developers just make better games.

An example? A few days ago I was looking for a game with a fulfilling story. I’ve played New Vegas and other favorites to death, so I turned to a series I’d played and loved once before — the Blackwell games. They were as engaging as ever, well written, and with two of the best leading ladies I’d seen in a game. It was a very satisfying experience, and perhaps I am just weird, but when I look at that compared to the usual mainstream tripe… I just don’t think anything out there that can compare. That’s a shame.

I think the biggest problem I have with most of the mainstream, barring a few notable exceptions, is that the mainstream very much believes that I’m an imbecile. I’ve been noticing this particular thread of thinking in comics lately, too. Marvel NOW, which suddenly seems to be comics aimed at tweens, where Tony stark goes from being a transhuman (which lead to lots of interesting discussions about transhumanism) to being… well, not a transhuman. Instead he became bubbly, ’80s Stark. His stories are now about biffing space monsters with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Everywhere I look in regards to the mainstream, be it movies, books, or films, it seems like the average consensus is to believe that the readers, viewers, or players aren’t very bright. And honestly? I am very bright. I enjoy being engaged intellectually, I find worth in that. So I’m just forever losing more and more interest in the mainstream. That there’s another mainstream game not coming to the PC? Fine! I’m okay with that. What I want to know is where’s the indie game that’s going to take advantage of that void?

I’m sure there’s an indie developer out there that could develop a Splinter Cell type of game that harks back to the original and treats the PC gaming audience like they aren’t children. That would be nice. I don’t think I’m bothered so much by game length any more. I’m okay with games being short as I don’t have the time to play them that I used to. What I want from games though is to remember them.

And mainstream games have been forgettable for the longest time for me.

In fact, the only mainstream game that hasn’t been forgettable in about the past year was probably Remember Me. A game that mainstream critics found to be boring. I don’t know. Maybe I’m just weird. It’s entirely possible.

#32 1 year ago
  33. cade

backup why are you trying to start an argument with people just because they want a game to come to pc? It’s not like this petition is affection your life whatsoever since you obviously dont play pc. so why are you here?

#33 1 year ago
  34. stranger275

HEY everybody! I got some shit to say! And if your one of the assholes who just wants to fuel “console wars” get the fuck off this page immediately.

PC games do get pirated like F ing crazy.BUT! just because people pirate games doesnt mean I AM GOING TO. Why should I be punished. Also some people like playing certain games on the consoles.(i am one of those people)But the hardware in the next consoles will barely (if at all) out perform my PC. Im guessing that the next consoles will be around 400-600$ like the previous ones. I could spend half that and upgrade my PC to play ANY console game and ANY PC game. So personally I dont want to pay 1000$ to play whatever game i want. And since most good games come out for everything I want to just stick with the PC. At least until i have money to just through around. So saying to just “buy the console and stop whining” is kinda stupid unless youve got around 2000$ to spend on PS4, XBOX ONE, AND a mid to high end PC. Thats tooooo freakin much. Its not my fault its so easy to pirate shit. Thats like banning DVD’s and saying “NOW YOU CAN ONLY STREAM MOVIES BECAUSE TO MANY PEOPLE PIRATE THEM” its just stupid.

I wouldnt even care if they do what theyve done in the past…. make the game exclusive for a time but then after a month or whatever release it for everything. Thats totally reasonable to me. Microsoft or Sony get their spot light and then (after a time) everyone can play the game.

I REALLY wanted to play The Last Of Us. But you will probly only ever be able to play that on the PS3. 10 yrs. from now if you want to play The Last Of Us you gotta dust off the PS3. I know their was another comment on this page about a guy wanting to play a game with a great story. The Last Of Us is one of those games. But unfortunately youve gotta shell out around 175-220$ on a PS3 and 60$ for the ONE game you want to play.

But you cant forget that the PC gets indie games ALL THE TIME.And more and more are coming. Games like Minecraft and the more recent game Starforge are two examples. Also theirs fully developed games that are PC only like Arma2/3 and countless Simulator type games that just wouldnt be possible on consoles.

I would love to see The Division on EVERY platform. I would love to see EVERY game on every platform.

And you know what REALLY frickin sucks??

THE PS4 AND XBOX ONE HAVENT EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET AND THEIRS ALREADY EXCLUSIVE GAMES THAT PEOPLE ARE GONNA BE PISSED THAT THEY CANT PLAY. HOW MANY MORE DO YOU THINK THEIR WILL BE OVER THE NEXT 5-10 YRS.? You might be one of the dicks who says “well i dont really care about The Division so TOUGH LUCK bro lololol” but at some point you WILL want a game and you WONT have the console to play it.

Thats the MAIN reason that I dont really care that so many people pirate games. You pay microsoft for overpriced hardware and then when you think “oh yea now i can play all these badass new games” what happens? sony comes out with an exclusive title and you have to pay out the ass for more overpriced hardware. Or vice versa.

I think no matter what, game devs will only profit from releasing their games for everything. GTA used to be sony exclusive but the demand for the game made them get off sonys tit. Now their making GTA5 and wanted to just release it for PS3 so they could just put the game on one blu ray disc. Sony apparently wrote them a “blank check” to make it exclusive. But they didnt except it. Even though they would get MORE money for LESS work. they didnt. I wonder why???

#34 1 year ago
  35. fearmonkey

I don’t see why anyone is concerned about this, as the next gen consoles are x86 and essentially PC’s running AMD hardware, there would be no reason to not have a PC version. It might not arrive at the same time as the console versions but it will happen.

#35 1 year ago