Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD success could pave way for more remasters

Monday, 17th June 2013 15:54 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD director Yoshinori Kitase has said that if the PS3 and PS Vita remasters prove successful, they could pave the way for more classic games being updated in a similar fashion.

Speaking with RPGSite, Kitase said, “We’ll have to wait and see if these remasters are going to be successful, first,” Kitase said. “If they do well, I think this will pave the way for more of the previous games to remade in an HD sort of quality.”

The site then asked Kitase which game he’d ideally move on to next. “I mean, if we had to single out one of the vast number of Final Fantasy titles which we could make in HD, it would have to be Final Fantasy 12,” he replied.

“I was not involved in the project, though, so we can’t really comment on that. What I can say though is that I hope the remastering of 10 and 10-2 will trigger similar projects for more of the past games.”

Now, I know a lot of people who hated FFXII, but I loved it. Play on Kitase, play on.

What Square remasters would you like to see from the PS2 era?

Thanks Polygon.

1. bitsnark

I fucking loved Final Fantasy XII.

Loved it.

Hope this comes to pass.

#1 1 year ago
  2. grizzlycake

Like a remake of VII right? The thing everybody always asks for. Just do it already and make yourselves billionaires!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 That’d be the dream but sadly Kitase was talking about PS2-era games only.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@1 Amazing. Yep, I loved it immensely. Sunk some 120 hours+ into it.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Digital Bamboo

XII is my third favorite FF game, after VI & VII. I would buy a remake. Can’t see it being worth it for SE though.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Eregol

Bloody cock teasers.

‘Hey, buy our game and we might do a HD remake of that game you love.’

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

While I’m not really buying Squeenix games, if I were, Squeenix makes the idea of buying this a difficult idea to swallow by bundling FFX-2 with FFX, reinforcing FFX-2 as canon despite that game being complete and utter garbage for story and character treatment.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Fin

XII was great up until this horrible difficulty spike about a third of the way in. Gave up at it.

Also, please no more HD remasters. Don’t want Square-Enix turning into Nintendo.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Digital Bamboo

@7 Do as I do & just pretend it doesn’t exist.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Hunam

FF12 is my favourite FF on PS2 :P

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

if they release it on disc they will have one buy from me.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Madlink

Hmmm, not a fan of HD remasters ever since I bought the Ico/SotC double pack. Was kind of hoping that they would even out the frame rate or something, but unfortunately no.

Although if it’s a remake where they upgrade models, textures, lighting or add online functionality etc. like the Wind Waker or Halo Anniversary then I’m cool with it.

More on topic, while I’ve never really like the Final Fantasy series myself, I’ve heard very good things about XII from those that do.

#12 1 year ago
  13. salarta

@9: But that’s what Squeenix wants us to do, so they can bullshit themselves that FFX-2 was a good and popular game and justify a sequel to it just like they’ve done with FF13.

#13 1 year ago
  14. fihar

This might be slightly off-topic, but I’d love a remaster of DQVIII.

Sure, Ni No Kuni was great, but DQVIII’s humor and charm is simply unmatched, the first boss alone left me laughing like a maniac for hours.
    FF’s writing team could take some note from Enix’s.

#14 1 year ago
  15. orakaa

PS2-era ? So only FFX and XII?
    Quite disappointing.

I’d love to see a remake of FFIX, VI, VII, even XIII, but definitely not XII. Forced myself to play the game but it’s the only FF I’ve stopped right in the middle. Actually it was the last one I played as well as I’ve skipped FF XIII

#15 1 year ago
  16. ShowUsYourLunch

2 Level-5 collection’s. one with dark cloud and chronicle and another with DQ VIII and Rouge galaxy. I think they were published by SE anyway

#16 1 year ago
  17. backup

i still have all FF games in my PS2 collection

#17 1 year ago
  18. Gheritt White

Legacy of Kain!!

#18 1 year ago
  19. Blackened Halo

I would like to see FF5-FF13 in HD but for PC too :)

#19 1 year ago
  20. Ireland Michael

Dragon Quest VIII HD, please.

#20 1 year ago
  21. chaoszage

I was hoping any FF HD except FF12 seriously…

#21 1 year ago