The Legend of Zelda Wii U will be neither “ultra-realistic nor cartoony-realistic,” says Aonuma

Saturday, 15th June 2013 20:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Legend of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has said to expect the new Wii U entry in the series to look a bit “new” compared to previous versions.

Speaking in an interview with Nintendo Life, Aonuma said not to expect it to be too realistic or cartoonish.

“The thing about Zelda is we want everything to be unique, whether it’s the graphical presentation or the gameplay,” he said. “It has to be something you can’t see anywhere else. We wouldn’t want it to be ultra-realistic because you can see that elsewhere. But I can’t say that it’s going to be cartoony-realistic, the fantastic presentation that we’ve already done in the past [with Wind Waker].

“It will be something new.”

There’s no word on anything related to the game available yet, we just know one is in the work.

1. Crussong

Well.. everyone is expacting a new Zelda that looks like the Demo from back then.

#1 10 months ago
  2. CyberMarco

So, are you telling people to be ready for another let down like the Gamecube Zelda video, back in the GC event? (Can’t remember what event was it)

Also, I’m not saying that Wind Waker was a bad game, but that video made a lot of people get hyped.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Bomba Luigi

I hear a lot that People want it “Realistic” in how it looks or whatever, but I never really understand what they mean by that. When was Zelda ever Realistic, and why in the World should be Realistic in any Way?

#3 10 months ago
  4. salarta

I don’t think Legend of Zelda needs to be realistic either, and in fact I think trying to make it realistic would destroy the point of it. It would be like 3rd Birthday or the new Tomb Raider, trying to throw away the past and not showing respect for it for the sake of fitting whatever appears to be popular at the moment.

But, I also don’t think cartoony is a good idea either. I’ve never played Wind Waker, had no interest, and as terrible as it is for me to say, I think part of the reason is the cartoony look of it. I think there’s a middle ground somewhere that would fit the franchise perfectly, and I think they had the beginnings of it back when they launched the franchise in the NES era.

#4 10 months ago
  5. ManuOtaku

Iam such a cell shader lover, i cannot get enough games with this style, thank god there is a lot of good games that uses this style, i prefer it over realistic one, so i will love a wind waker one, or a mixture like skyward sword.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Phoenixblight

I have always preferred the stylistic versions of Zelda; Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword. If they go realistic. I will play it the game but I won’t like it. :P

#6 10 months ago
  7. Rafa_L

I don’t expect realistic like, I don’t know, skyrim or witcher, but I would like even a bit less cartoony then twilight or skyward. Speaking of those, I really do prefer the art direction of twilight princess.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Spoon

Just make the game how it was last E3! Cant stand how Nintendo teases its fans like they did with Gamecube and we ended up getting WInd Waker *YUK! Twilight Princess was BIG relief
    Love how they say they like to be different just so people cant compare them to other products. Nintendo is sooo EMO lol

#8 10 months ago
  9. Froseidon

Why are people getting hyped over a tech demo?

#9 10 months ago
  10. Crussong

@9 Because its a glimpse of what “might come some day”.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Froseidon

@10 – Maybe, but i was glad when they didn’t follow the Gamecube one. I found the Wind Waker art style refreshing. I hope that the new art style breathes the same sort of freshness into the game like Wind Waker’s did. It’s good for a change once in a while.

#11 10 months ago
  12. backup

ultra-realistic =/= Wiiu,xbox1,PC

ultra-realistic = PS4

#12 10 months ago
  13. WeskerEvil

So.. A PS4 is more realistic than a PC?

#13 10 months ago