Nintendo more concerned with selling software than what Sony and Microsoft are up to

Saturday, 15th June 2013 20:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo president and CEO Satoru Iwata has told CNN the firm isn’t concerned about what other companies are doing at the moment, and are instead focused on their own console.

In the interview, Iwata said “software sells hardware,” so Nitendo is focused on getting games in people hands at the moment.

“The number of hardware selling and the number of people who can experience the unique attractions of the Wii U are going to increase, and thereby the knowledge and the understanding about the Wii U system shall naturally expand,” he said.

“We just don’t care too much about what other companies are doing or are trying to do. Our primary focus is to think about and actually carry out something which other company’s hardware can never realize. We are trying to provide consumers gaming experiences that can only be available on Nintendo platforms.

“Those people who have already purchased the Wii U and are enjoying Wii U, they have already realized the value of the Wii U, and I understand that they are highly appreciating the entertainment experiences provided by Wii U. But the fact of the matter is Wii U has yet to prove what is so unique (about it), unlike how … with a first glance, people were able to understand how different Wii was.”

Iwata’s comments reflect points he has made before, and one recently made by Shigeru Miyamoto who said Wii U’s benefits can’t be understood until it has been experienced.

“First and foremost we designed this to be a system that is incredibly convenient to use in the living room, but the challenge with the Wii U system is you don’t really understand the benefits of it until you have experienced it in your living room.”

Thanks, Nintendo Life.

1. Animeboy413

Go to Hell Nintendo

#1 1 year ago
  2. polygem

Go to Nintendoland Animeboy

#2 1 year ago
  3. NightCrawler1970

heh, poor Nitendo, time will tell…

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

i just bought a wii-u and i love it!… its a fantastic console you haters should give it a try, you are missing out big time.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Digital Bamboo

^ Somewhere out there, in the depths of space, a galaxy just imploded.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Ireland Michael

@4 I think my brain just exploded from the shock.

#6 1 year ago
  7. jmg24bad

If they are selling software, where are the games!

#7 1 year ago
  8. manamana

#4 his mind must be in a haze after all

#8 1 year ago
  9. The_Red

This just in: ps3fanboy’s account was hacked!

Seriously though, I think Nintendo IS a bit concerned. It’s just that right now, there is nothing to do. They have to wait until heavy hitters (Mario Kart, Mario 3D) come out and hope that they move enough units to bring back proper 3rd party support.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Schwarzerwind

Cue Nelson: “HA, HA!”

I actually got bashed by an employee at a GameStop some months ago because my family and I were -looking- at the Wii U display. He thought he was being witty and clever. Corporate didn’t think so.

But it’s amazing how much hate people have for this system. I love the thing and wish we could afford one right now. I think things’ll pick up for Nintendo once they finally get caught up on software. They’re not doing so hot with that right now.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

@4 – Hahahahaha…so what happened to it being the WiiUtanic. Or have you suddenly decided it’s funnier if you espouse the virtues of Nintendo now.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Joe Musashi

Making such a statement after another spokesperson in your company has commented on the 2nd hand game situation – a topic raised in prominence due to the actions of your competitors – shows this statement up for what it is.

Nintendo made the same aloof dismissal a generation ago claiming they didn’t regard their two primary competitors as competitors.

Truly, if you genuinely cared as little as you claim, you wouldn’t have to even make a statement about it.

JM

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

I think your being a little harsh. The article VG247 used from Polygon:

Was clearly some kind of interview and reaction piece after all the announcements. I don’t think Reggie waded in and demanded to talk about used games.

We are at a fairly pivatol point in the industry and I guess he was using his ‘air time’ to be positive of how he views Nintendo’s approach.

What ever you think, Nintendo DOES generally operate ‘out of the loop’, for better or for worse…

Ultimatly, the title rings true. The Wii U and it’s features are roughly established now, they have to concentrate on games, not about the PS4 & Xbone…

#13 1 year ago
  14. OlderGamer

+1000

WiiU is simply an amazing game system with a lot of potential. The problem never was what Nintendo was selling, but expectations and perceptions of gamers. Many of you folks really believe that Nintendo = kids and party games. And this “real” gamers game on PS and(esp XB) is perpetuated by said companies themselves and ofc publishers. Just think about it, where would EA, Acti, and others like to see the overwhelming bulk of gamers? The answer is on a XBone. That is where they will make the most money.

From a corperate stand point it isn’t about games. Never has been. It is about revenue and monetization. Online subscription plans, used games fees, the gathering of marketing “trends”/info. And most of you have become jaded and bias and are easily manipulated.

The Wiiu is one hell of a games system. It has the one single thing that many gamers have been crying out for…innovation. I am buying the PS4, but beyond the share/social features there is very little innovation going on in the box. The only innovation MS is bringing to the table is more ways for the industry to control and monetize.

And indeed, if you don’t own a WiiU, you are missing out. And maybe contributing to the demise of the console market.

One last example. Madden for WiiU. Had such innovations as drawing your own routes for t your WRs to run. You can look at the gamepad, see the defensive coverage, and then create a new route for any of your wrs/rbs in real time. You can also adjust coverage of said defense in real time. This brings a never seen before level of depth and strategy to the game of football. Other nice features too, like taping the gamepad screen to pick your plays, manage the clock, etc.

The REAL reason EA is dropping the system is because Madden for the WiiU had ZERO DLC. Imagine a EA sports game with nothing extra to purchase after you purchased the game. Gasp the horror! Could EA put DLC in the game this season? Yes, but I doubt it would sell the same way to on a Nintendo platform then it would on the other guys(esp on XBone).

Corperate isn’t dropping the WiiU because it is bad, they are dropping it because they feel they have more control and a wider range of ways to monetize.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    It must be opposite/ sarcastic day as my head exploded from shock.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

And that, kids, is what we call, “hyperbole.”

#16 1 year ago
  17. OlderGamer

The thing is Clupula, that consumers help shape their market. If people hadn’t supported Xbox Original and Xbox 360 there wouldn’t be a Xbox One. Or at the very lest MS wouldn’t be in a position of influence.

But they are. And when MS exhort that influence to sway publishers to their platform because of promises of higher profits and used game fees we as gamers, as consumers run out of choices. And that is what I mean when I talk about the demise of the console market.

Somewhere along the line the industry has changed and moved away from people with creative visions of artisitic entertainment and moved more towards shareholders and profit margins. That isn’t to say that Atari, NEC, SNK, or Sega didn’t want to make money. Ofc they did. But everytime an actual game company dies and fades away in the rear view mirror the industry moves one mile closer to residing in a soulless wasteland of corperate greed and monetization.

I have said this before, and some have snickered. Look at Microsofts vision of the Xbone and the future of games. And reread this statement, maybe for the first time, understanding what I mean: Nintendo is the only games company still making hardware. Think about it.

Think about all of what the Xbone does wrong, compare it to the WiiU/3DS.

But Sony?!

Right. They have improved a lot over the past gen. That is why I will be buying a PS4 to sit next to my WiiU.

But I don’t believe that Sony are all that much different then MS. Not at the heart of it. Both mega corperations chasing billion dollar dreams, more interested in shareholders profits then customer satisfaction. The day that Nintendo leaves the home console market is the day when there isn’t a home console market anymore. All that will be left will be gimped, DRM laden PCs, devoid of any real innovation. For the most part Nintendo works because they DON’T do what the other guys do. I am looking forward to PS4, like most of you folks. But do we need three of them? All playing mostly the same games?

I don’t. Give me my WiiU Gamepad and let me enjoy the final generation of console gaming. If Xbone is a sneak peak at the future, I shudder to think about it.

All I am asking is why miss out? And all I am saying is be very cautious when casting votes with your wallets. Be concerned about the industry, and who will guide it, where it will go, and why? Because in the end it will collectively be our own fault. Spend wisely.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Bomba Luigi

Of course I didn’t see everything and that can Change, but for now I don’t see on these upcoming Nintendo Titels why the WiiU should be so diffrent than the other Systems.

But I do like my WiiU, I have one and its a nice System even when its a bit weak on Software I want for now. But it was the Same with 3DS in the Begining, or even worse, its seems they are not the fast starter.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

@17 – But what I’m saying is that people who don’t buy it aren’t really missing out on anything if the games present on the system are not to their particular tastes. I’m fairly platform agnostic, although I will admit to seriously disliking Microsoft’s corporate policies, so if there were games worth playing (in my view) on the Wii U, I’d own one.

I don’t feel I’m obligated to spend $300 so I can have a piece of hardware that’s going to collect dust in my closet after I’m done playing the three games that the system currently has announced that I would spend money on.

I’m not contributing to the death of the industry by not buying a Wii U. I’m going where the games that I want to play are. If that means the death of the industry, well, then that’s Nintendo’s fault for not making the system more appealing.

#19 1 year ago
  20. OlderGamer

“Its a little Strange that the new Titels Nintendo has Shown (DKC, Mario Kart8, Mario 3D World, Smash Brother) all look like they could have been done on any other System.”

I fully agree. Fully. But I would like to pick apart your wording if I could. Because it is a common problem when people judge the WiiU.

“all look like they could have been done”

That being said, if Nintendo had opted to put more raw graphic power into WiiU, we wouldn’t be having this convo. If the system had even the power of Xbone, let alone the PS4 power, the system would be flying off the shelf. But it doesn’t.

It does look good. But PS360 games look good. The WiiU games needed to look amazing to impress and catch the eyes, and they just don’t look amazing. But I think they look great, just look at the color, crispness, and artistic look of NSMB II. It is a great looking game. But the system will never sway the people impressed with Titanfall or Destiny. Even the brightest and best cartoon graphics couldn’t do that.

So, in the end, we get “but the PS360 could have done that game”. And that good people is why so much focus gets placed on making a game look good, gameplay has almost become an afterthought.

#20 1 year ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Well put!

#21 1 year ago
  22. OlderGamer

“I’m not contributing to the death of the industry by not buying a Wii U.”

At the very least you are contributing to the changing of the industry. One of the reasons, I feel, you and I and many others dislike MS right now is because they are doing the very things that I have been warning about for awhile now. We are walking wallets. Monitization first, steller games second and only as a means to continue to capitalize. It is why we have been in franchise hell, where one game in a seriers plays the same as all of the others. No one wants to take a risk. No one wants to dare to be different.

The industry is already in the clutches of the suits. If MS pulls it off, you will see it get so very much worse. If Sony pulls it off, they will morph into MS(just like MS is now acting like Sony did with PS3). Either way we all lose. It is very sad to me that so many folks just can’t/don’t see it that way. Maybe you guys are just too young, I don’t know. Maybe age has nothing to do with it. But I do think age gives perspective. Tho many folks only see what is right in front of them, and only as it pertains to them directly.

There is always a big picture. In small, digestible pieces: competition is good. If Nintendo fails to succeed, it is bad for the over all industry.

#22 1 year ago
  23. NeutralBlade

@17 & @22 I agree with your statements. Nintendo plays an important part in this business, and one of their primary roles, are to keep things traditional. People rag on Nintendo for being old fashioned, but it’s companies like MS that mislead us. And as we’ve seen lately, MS reps have been attempting to convince us that what they’re doing is current and the future; while they lead their consumers down a road to ruin.

There is nothing about MS’ Azure system, that’s a benefit to consumers; as it’s purpose is expand their ecosystem in order to create a monopoly. Over the years, Sony has been one of the dirtiest players in the game, but they returned to their senses after eating humble pie; their arrogance lead to their defeat this generation, and it really gave them a chance to stop and look at what they were doing wrong. Still, I wouldn’t put it past Sony to change their position with the PS5, should they indeed dominate the upcoming generation; but I hope they will maintain their good intentions, and not mislead the trust they gained from the consumer.

MS grew their following to the point to where they felt they can take over the market, and instead of rewarding their consumers, they turned their back on us for monetary gain. What people are seeing now, is the true face of MS, while they attempt to take over; and lead the market to a decline, killing competition while they reap the rewards. Microsoft claims their way of doing things is what’s cool and current, as well as the future. They want us to leave the best aspects of what gaming is all about behind, so they can gain full control over the market.

Some people just don’t understand how important it is to stop a bad thing before it really start to gain traction. If MS succeeds, things will only get worse. Halo and a few other exclusives are not worth the long-term damage that can be caused to this industry by corporate greed. When a company tells us that ownership is no longer the future, then it’s time to abandon that company.

All digital is the future, they say. But does anyone want the future MS envisions, which their products all become full-price rentals? Believe it or not, the consumer can slow and outright stop practices that can potentially kill the market. It’s up to the consumer to get over their selfishness and bias, in order to pay attention and act in order to ensure they still have rights in the future.

People think games are too expensive now. If MS got their way, do they really think this gaming market is going to last for much longer, if it transforms into a big corp dictatorship? It certainly won’t, and an eventual game market crash would become our future.

It doesn’t matter how many years pass by, ownership will never become an outdated thing of the past. Only corrupt corporations envisions that future for us all. If Xbox loyalists want their console back to way it use to be, buy the competitions’ products, reject the Xbox One, and demand you want change.

Instead of criticizing and/or downplaying the outcries to MS’ betrayal, you should understand why it’s happening. Support tradition, and your rights as a gamer.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Froseidon

I bought a Wii U recently, like a week, maybe 2 weeks before E3. To be honest, I am just using it to play the games I missed on the original Wii at the minute (like Skyward Sword) as I sold my Wii a couple of years after release. However, what few Wii U games I have are excellent.

The console is a brilliant console, just could do with a few more games is all, like Pikmin 3 :D which I can’t wait for. I’m thinking of buying Watchdogs and SC:Blacklist on them seeing as I just brought a Wii U Pro Controller.

tl;dr: I love the console, it just could use a few more games. Fine by me though, seeing as I missed a few original Wii titles.

Back to the article: Nintendo just released Animal Crossing, and they have a few more heavy-hitting games coming out later in the year, I feel they’ll make it through.

They seem like they’re in a different league to Microsoft and Sony anyways, as if they shouldn’t even be competing with them because the company is so different to Microsoft/Sony.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Feedingfrenzy91

Kind of respect them for saying that. If you look at history Nintendo I think at least. don’t quote me on this but Nintendo seems to poke fun at others less than the other company’s. Which is quality I’ve liked about the business. Think about it Nintendo at E3 could have come out and say that “Unlike PS4 and Xbox One the Wii U has free online play” but they didn’t in fact they didn’t focus on the others at all it was just them. So congrats Nintendo on not simply comparing yourself to your competition.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DrDamn

@OG
    “You said LOOK. And that is true. Graphicly the games could be on any other system. But they wouldn’t PLAY the same. Take Rayman Legends. The game can be ported to PS360, sure. And they will all look pretty close to each other. But only WiiU will have the Gamepad with its second screen gameplay. That is what sets the WiiU apart, it is the experience of playing it. That is the innovation. Graphics are not innovation.”

If you look at the E3 Nintendo vids they have released you’d be hard pressed to realise the WiiU even has a second screen. The best titles on the system that use the second screen in interesting ways … ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Madden, Lego City Undercover … where are the Nintendo developed games in this list? I really like the system, loving Lego City Undercover currently – but what Nintendo showed at E3 was so disappointing for me because they didn’t show what the WiiU is meant to be all about.

You said yes they *look* like they could be on any other system. That is what Nintendo is showing people. It’s up to them to demonstrate what the second screen brings and can do. They aren’t doing that. Third Parties are doing it more than them.

#26 1 year ago
  27. elem187

@Bomba Luigi #8

I don’t know what videos you saw, but there is no way the PS3/x360 could do what was shown…. Visually, the ps3/360 could run all of them except Mario Kart 8. But each game that was showcased was rendering two screens and at 60fps. The PS3/x360 would be lucky to run those games at 23fps and a subhd resolution…, but MK8 had lighting that was far beyond anything we have seen on the ps3… I love my ps3 dearly and look back at it fondly but even I can recognize that MK8 s**ts all over any game I saw on the ps3, and it was doing it at 60fps and rendering a second screen simultaneously…. The best looking games on ps3, U2/3 and TLOU run at 24fps. I originally thought the Wii U was about on par with the ps3/x360 until I saw the Mario Kart game in person at bestbuy. Now I’m going to guess its closer to 3 times as powerful.

I recommend looking at a high quality video off of Nintendo (even then you have bad compression) website because the original stream was crap…. But seeing it in person it looks amazing. Not quite Ps4/xBoned, but much further past the ps3/x360 if you are able to take off the biased rose tinted glasses.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Fin

“Now I’m going to guess its closer to 3 times as powerful.”

/eyeroll

#28 1 year ago
  29. Bomba Luigi

Ah, sorry Guys when what I say looked like I mean the Graphics, that wasn’t my Point. What I mean is that I didn’t see any kind of cool or innovative use of the Tablet Controller, the Games look like you can play them with a PS oder Xbox Controller without loosing anything of the Gameplay.
    Thats for now, maybe they will show some cool Tablet Controller stuff later, but right now I don’t see that. And using the Tablet Controller to make new Experience was kind of the Point of the Special WiiU experience you can’t get on any other Console.

Like ZombiU, always when they showed this Game they showed in some Way how you use your Tablet Controller. Didn’t see anything like that in these new Games, I almost never saw the Tablet Controller at all.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Clupula

@27 – *does spit take*

Are you having a laugh?

#30 1 year ago
  31. DrDamn

“Didn’t see anything like that in these new Games, I almost never saw the Tablet Controller at all.”

This. It’s your consoles main feature and it feels like it’s been sidelined. They haven’t shown that they know what to do with it beyond the admittedly useful off screen play.

#31 1 year ago
  32. OlderGamer

I didn’t dissect the WiiU videos.

I do know that Nintendo has mentioned that they have been having a tuff time getting the experience of WiiU across to gamers. Because that is what lets the system stand alone. We all agree on that. Perhaps Nintendo tried to shift focus on franchise name rather then second screen interaction? DKC, for example should pretty much sell itself.

#32 1 year ago