Xbox One game libraries can be shared with non-family members, says Spencer

Friday, 14th June 2013 12:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One may not be as heavy-handed with content restriction as it first appears, according to some new chatter from Microsoft’s Phil Spencer. He has said in a new interview that players will be able to share their game library with people outside their household.

Now, don’t take the above paragraph as some kind of all-forgiving about-face on Microsoft’s restrictions so far, but what Spencer has said does seem to cool the flames a little, although they’re far from doused.

It was recently confirmed that Xbox One will allow users to share their library of games with up to ten family members, but as it happens those people don’t have to be in your family. At all.

Speaking with Penny Arcade, Spencer said, “I think the policy makes sense.

“It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren’t all part of the same family. And I do think that’s an advantage, and people will use that.

“I saw it on NeoGAF instantly, the Xbox Family creation threads, where people said ‘Hey be a part of my family’. No birth certificates will need to be sent in. I do think that’s an advantage of the ecosystem that we have.”

There’s also confirmation that two people in your ‘family’ will be able to access the same files in your library simultaneously, but it’s unclear if this will apply to full games or not.

What’s your take on the above?

Thanks OXM.

1. KAP

Something Something Something controoooooool.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

@KAP
    Something Something Something Darkside :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, this is why their hands seem to be tied with keeping the 24 hour/1 hour check ins.

You can buy a game and share it with someone on the other side of the world pretty instantly.

If they took the check in system off, you might end up with a situation where 10 people are playing and finishing a game that was only sold once.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Joe Anderson

Can see it now. Hey you’re playing my game, now I can’t. Stop playing. Oh bugger it. Xbox TV. *Sorry this service is only available in the US. Ok then, Xbox Off!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@1 it reminds me of this – http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=F_4pXusde8s

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheBlackHole

I’m sorry, but instantly sharing your entire game library with 10 friends is fucking awesome, and a damn site better than handing over discs.

One question though… doesn’t this negate the point of ‘lending’ games, which was meant to be restricted to friends that you’ve had for 30 days and only being able to do it once?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Joe Anderson

I think there is some sort of catch to be honest. You probably can’t change those friends once you have chosen them, or perhaps you are in control of their account since they are ‘Family Members’. We’ll see. Got to be a catch though.

#7 1 year ago
  8. TheBlackHole

“Got to be a catch though.”

And if there’s not?

#8 1 year ago
  9. KAP

There’s people sharing Last Of Us right now as I write this, just lower the number of activated consoles if that’s a huge issue. Thats what sony did. Nothing is worth the always online bollox…

So stop trying to make excuses for these foolish ploy dude. Jesus Christ!

#9 1 year ago
  10. polygem

again. this would be cool if it was optional. if it would allow me to register the game and i will get stuff like this for doing so. it´s still not a good excuse for a broken drm infrasturcture.

#10 1 year ago
  11. The_Red

You can share the game with family and to some degree friends.
    You can’t lend or borrow games (official doc).

WTF MS. Make up you damn mind. I can either borrow the game from my friend or I can not. It doesn’t matter whether you call it sharing, borrowing / lending.

#11 1 year ago
  12. zinc

Its a nice gimmick. But if you want to play the same at the same time, you still all need your own copies?

So not so good for MP titles, saves you money on SP titles? Gotta be a catch…

#12 1 year ago
  13. Fin

The amount of effort they’ve put in to prevent casual trading of games, there must be a catch to this.

If not, fuckin’ awesome.

#13 1 year ago
  14. polygem

@8: man the catch is obvious, we´ve discussed it the last few days in and out. it´s the whole systems structure.

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheBlackHole

Which is exactly what will happen with PS4 – you can’t share your game and keep it at the same time?

And how is it a gimmick…?

PS4 – I can give my mate a disc. FUCK YEAH!
    XB1 – I can share my entire games library with 10 friends without having to use the disc. GIMMICK!

Riiiiight.

#15 1 year ago
  16. KAP

So the 30 day wait policy has been dropped right?
    Oh Microsoft, can’t knock you for trying aye lol

#16 1 year ago
  17. Llewelyn_MT

Only one person of the 10 can play the game at a time. You can always play your own game. This is a perfect scenario for 2 player co-op games. Apart from that, there are just too many unanswered questions.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Moonwalker1982

This is exactly the kind of thing she should have marketed more, cause this is a damn cool feature. I still don’t understand the used game restrictions, but i prefer this kind of borrowing and lending much over the old ways. The old ways where sometimes you would never see your game back or full of scratches or whatsoever. This is instantly and its fantastic. MS should have marketed this more at their show. And if you ask me, this makes the impact of Sony’s ‘attack’ on MS all the more smaller.

I honestly find this whole hype of ‘Sony has won E3′ and all that nonsense a bit extreme anyway, kinda ridiculous. Sony showed so little footage of their own games and MS did the exact opposite. So if you ask me who won the show in terms of entertainment and how much was shown….Microsoft by far. It’s just that their way of communicating isn’t exactly great. Then again..this policy WAS known way before E3, so i think the media is also to blame.

#18 1 year ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

@12:

That’s exactly the same as with a retail copy, though. If you have one disc, only one person can play it at a time.

The difference here is that there’s no waiting 3 weeks for your friend to finally remember to leave his house with your game. You should be able to just play it instantly, because it’s already on your console.

Also, I remember seeing in a video or reading in an article, that you can select which titles you actually want to share.

So if you only want to share games that you don’t play anymore, it should be as easy as unchecking a tickbox.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Moonwalker1982

If this is truly how it sounds and no fly in the oilment or whatsoever, it’s a damn cool feature and it’s about time MS starts to receive less shit for their negatives. Cause i personally find this a very nice substitute for the old ways of used games. Not gonna claim that it’s not a stupid thing, those restrictions, but i DO find that the shitting at MS can stop now.

#20 1 year ago
  21. redwood

not clear enough

#21 1 year ago
  22. redwood

also how does this work with 2+ split screen co-op?

#22 1 year ago
  23. ps3fanboy

piracy kills, buying used kills… oh the poor developers what they gonna do now???.. we heard it all before.. and now game sharing is okay, while it was evil and bring death to poor developers last gen. this is getting fucking hilarious!….

#23 1 year ago
  24. monkeygourmet

Is this 100% though?

Why didn’t they start their unveiling off with this information?

#24 1 year ago
  25. dkpunk

@18 Couldn’t have said it better myself. Unfortunately, I doubt many on here will respond in an unbiased manner. I still would like to hear more concrete details but this definitely sounds interesting.

#25 1 year ago
  26. SplatteredHouse

I call it evidence of yet another half-baked scheme.
    On the one hand, the publishers state they want recompense on second-sale. They don’t want multiple copies not producing multiple kickbacks for them.

So, Microsoft’s ingenious solution is then to: a) implement DRM (to leverage consumer loyalty, instead of sorting things through with retail in a manner unlike squabbling infants – “it’s not MY responsibility…” – Yet, aren’t they the ones both relying on this ecosystem for continued business?) b) leave a gaping hole in the implementation, to where their original aim will no longer be attainable? @.@ It’s looking more like the Death Star than ever! All that needs to happen is for someone to find a gulley between the drone turrets :p

@23: Absolutely. And once all the “evil boogeymen” that publishers are ever-keen to set as scapegoat in the face of failure fall away, they’re all tackled, yet their ideals are undone – if the issues still remain – where, then, can their finger point.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Samoan Spider

I love all the detractors here, I really do.
    You hate the reveal saying there’s no games, so you complain. They do E3 showing nothing BUT games, so you complain.
    They explain that they have an online check-in, so you complain. They say that the online check-in is because of a feature that allows sharing of your games library to 10 OTHER PEOPLE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD (caveat: with XBL access) and so guess what, you complain!
    The nice thing about all of this is, both the PS4 and XBO play games apparently and as a gamer, that makes me happy :)
    I have to admit, it’s a pretty cool feature and whilst I said I don’t lend games, I’m pretty sure my brother and I could get some usage out of this (200 miles apart makes sharing a slow process)

#27 1 year ago
  28. G1GAHURTZ

@24:

No, I remembered wrong.

It was just Gertsmann speculating that that’s what they could do, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1StPJgWkN-U
    (After 6 minutes)

#28 1 year ago
  29. Tech-N9ne

Well the catch might be

- You all require Gold accounts
    - Can’t share DLC
    - You can’t be part of more than one family
    - You can’t switch family
    - You have to own a certain amount of game to access a certain amount of shared games.

I do think 10 is too high a number.

Anyways I think these guys have so much data on how we play and buy games that this feature is based on some serious statistical analysis to see if this will actually hurt new game sales.

#29 1 year ago
  30. SplatteredHouse

@27: “What’s your take on the above?” Are you so surprised to find comments following a request for just that, in a comments thread?

#30 1 year ago
  31. monkeygourmet

I think you need to split people into different groups.

I liked some of the games at the X1 reveal more than PS4.

Things that put me off are:

Price
    Modest specs
    DRM issues
    Adverts / TV focus
    Kinect 2.0
    MS’s shitty PR attitude when dealing with the above

#31 1 year ago
  32. viralshag

What I would like to be clear on is whether it’s one person of the ten playing the same game, or if say five out of ten could be playing five different games from your library at the same time.

If it’s the latter and say all ten people could play a different game from your library, that’s pretty amazing.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Samoan Spider

@30 I think you missed my point. I’m not surprised to find comments. What I’m surprised to find are people so hell bent on making this bad news. Well actually I’m not really to be honest. This is a good thing. This is another step closer to my Steam experience. If I want to lend my library, I allow access via Steam Guard and one of us can play a game at a time. This doesn’t say if playing multiple games is ok, but it’s a start.

Edit: My last point there is basically what #32 said :)

@31 Really on that list I’m only troubled by price. None of the rest of it is a problem. Honestly, the Ad’s on the 360 I ignore, Kinect I used because it’s quite fun when pissed, DRM is a no brainer as I use Steam, modest specs are what the PS3 and 360 had yet the games looked excellent and lastly with their PR, I’ve had over 2 decades where I was interested enough to actually listen to their PR and I know it’s a shitty attitude towards anything so I don’t listen any more :)

#33 1 year ago
  34. monkeygourmet

Exactly, that would be very cool. I just can’t see how MS would find that financially viable?

Alot of the games that see high turnovers of second hand sales are games like FIFA, Madden and COd. Basically yearly cash ins.

#34 1 year ago
  35. monkeygourmet

I guess I feel a little burnt after watching their last few years E3′s having crap all quality exclusives and paying for timed DLC and Kinect stuff, then this is what they come up with?

Personally, I wanted to see a little more.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Ge0force

I don’t understand. MS implements DRM to prevent used game sales, but they add a feature that stimulates people to share every game they buy with ten other gamers? This most have a significant larger negative impact on game sales than selling used games…

#36 1 year ago
  37. Samoan Spider

@35 Apply the logic. If I buy one of those games and play it, I then lend it to a friend, when it comes back I trade it. Even if this is 6 months later it’s gone, I’ve moved on. When someone else buys my trade in, it’s off the grid as far as MS and Sony are concerned. They then lend their trade in to a friend then later trade it back in again. So that’s maybe 3-5 people playing my single purchase with the current way of things. As someone else said, someone at MS probably did the bean count on stats that showed they won’t lose out with a scheme like this.

#37 1 year ago
  38. NeutralBlade

MS isn’t going to greatly hurt sales by letting consumers do whatever they want with this ten-person “sharing” feature. Because it would be the same as giving away several games for free, and Azure is all about control and profits, not charity.

If consumers find any loopholes, MS will close them. And abuse of the Azure system, can lead to Live sub suspension, and/or bricking your console for violating policy.

Will Kinect be required to scan each person and report back to Microsoft, (to store that data, so that person can be identified and approved for the new family, to see if they are in an existing family, and to verify if they’re on other profiles), before they can be accepted in the “family”? It’s possible.

Will usage limitations be controlled by IP address? Azure will certainly be tracking the IPs of every Xbone, especially when it comes to sharing and using your profile on different consoles.

When it comes down to it, MS know what they’re doing. This share function will have a lot fine print, and it’s not going to be a free games situation, as it sounds on the surface. Because what’s the point of restricting trades to one permanent transaction, when you can build a “family” of ten, and pay for each game once while sharing said games between 2 – 5 households? No, it won’t be that easy to outsmart the system. Azure won’t be having any of that.

#38 1 year ago
  39. MCTJim

I think its a cool feature. Like most here, I dont like DRM..not a fan. But as I read the facts and not what some people post, it seems not as draconian as it seems. People complained about steam and valve and now its seamless. I hope they remove or extend the 24 hr requirement as I think it would be better in the long run for those who wanna play offline or single player. I look at the sharing feature as I gave my buddy the disc and he can now play it without having to leave have a physical disc.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Tech-N9ne

@35 @38

Decisions like these are made with huge historical data. These guys have been collecting data on every possible thing related to how we play and buy game for the last 12 year, its called business intelligence. I’m sure the benefits and problems with such a system has been looked into before allowing it.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Malmer

@4 You can always play YOUR game. And then one of the ten can play the same or an other game at the same time.

#41 1 year ago
  42. xAKUM3TSUx

Hmmm…Well this is totally interesting. Hope they explain this in more detail.

Still It doesn’t matter how you share your game on any of these consoles IMO. For me it’s about the freedom. All in all, I’ll pick the X1 up once the price goes down a couple hundreds or so. I’ve focused all my attention on the PS4 for now.

@17 Tell me about it. Too much confusion.

#42 1 year ago
  43. machy

i remember Sony letting 5 ppl share a account, but with all the dummy accounts the publisher weren’t happy at all so Sony took it down form 5 to 2
    I think if this as good as it sound MS ‘d have been singing it out load since day one

#43 1 year ago
  44. Malmer

@44 They did write in the press release about licensing. But gaming media ignored it and went for their pitchforks.

#44 1 year ago
  45. monkeygourmet

Are you seriously trying to defend MS after TV, TV, TV… Debacle?

The fact MS has had all this time and they haven’t come up with a clear concise way these features and the cloud work, surely you’d understand why people are a little skeptical.

It was the same as PS3 and TEH CELL / Bluray, we all know how that turned out. Consumers have a right to ask for more information on these subjects, and MS have clearly not put people’s minds at rest. And now that’s OUR fault and the Media?

Oh poor MS, I feel so sorry for them.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Biscuitpants

@29 stop being a blind tard, you cant even share dlc with disc based games never mind digital ones

#46 1 year ago
  47. MCTJim

@45 that sir is the truth..typical media bias as the bad always outsells the good.

#47 1 year ago
  48. CyberMarco

@monkeygourmet

I wonder where all those new accounts come from…

#48 1 year ago
  49. monkeygourmet

Holy crap… You may even be right in the long run (who knows, I hope MS make their features public), but that attitude completely stops any conversation…

It’s the equivalent of going; ‘haters gonna hate’…

Doesn’t actually make the situations true. MS fucked up on the original reveal, that was down to them. They were already coming in hot after leaks regarding lower spec and the #dealwithit stuff. Most of it was proved true and people are calling the, on that.

If they can sort some of this out, maybe people will be more supportive. That’s just a fact.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Tech-N9ne

Dude I was not complaining, just giving possible way that this feature can help generate more revenue while reducing new game sales.

#50 1 year ago
  51. monkeygourmet

MS shills lol, PS3fanoy was right! :D

#51 1 year ago
  52. Biscuitpants

I dont get how ms fucked up on there reveal, they revealed a console and showed a easier way of accessing apps on xbox without needing to dashboard, but yes they really do need to come clean with all this shit though, hearing different stuff each time isnt helping when they dont confirm it

#52 1 year ago
  53. Biscuitpants

@51 I never said you were complaining, you said there had to be catch (there obviously is cause its MS) but not having the dlc is perfectly understandable

#53 1 year ago
  54. NeutralBlade

@50 Don’t forget about all the statements their own reps made, which just added fuel to the fire. This really isn’t a media bias issue, when MS themselves, supplied all of the details and rep comments. They essentially dug their own grave.

#54 1 year ago
  55. DrDamn

@45/@48
    You can hardly blame the media for missing it when MS appear to have done that in their own bleedin press conference can you?

Agree it seems like a really nice idea – depends a lot on the details though.

#55 1 year ago
  56. monkeygourmet

Yep, exactly. It was their platform to blow people away, and they kinda fucked it! :)

#56 1 year ago
  57. MCTJim

@50 oh MS did screw up the reveal, but they did say it was to show it not reveal the games..but in imo, they blew it with their reveal..went over like a fart in church.

I can say though that their games were a fantastic show, they came out swinging and hit it out of the park…. But, the bat didnt make any contact with the ball when it came to explaining the DRM issue and I say this to them…half ass explanation people..your brought your A game with the games you had to show, but you dropped the ball when it came to explaining the rest. Sony capitalized on it, as anyone with half a brain would do and blew them out of the water PR wise…hands down.

#57 1 year ago
  58. xAKUM3TSUx

Unless they charge every user for each shared game activated on their console at a huge price difference (say, a charge of 10-20 bucks)than the original buyer, which would actually make sense. I could understand and be more forgiving about a charge if so.

Who knows. I guess we’ll see whenever this is cleared up. This feature alone is FAR from enough to sway me. It’s also funny to see some people say that because of this feature, Ps4 is inferior. Although this feature would/could be awesome, I don’t see the big deal about either consoles sharing traits.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Silent Killer01

I see a fee or developers/publishers can restrict this or a timelimit. And seems very easy for sony to add this to the ps4.

So you play and beat your friend’s copy of the game with this feature then you go and buy it? Nope, you already beat it.

#59 1 year ago
  60. monkeygourmet

They have every opportunity to win people back over. I’m just surprised so many people are happy accepting the current situation.

The only term that comes to mind is ‘fanboy’.

It was exactly the same as some Sony fans after the Ps3 unveiling (TEA etc…), blindly singing the virtues of Cell and Bluray compared to the cheaper 360. It’s almost like a complete role reversal. And from my perspective, this is the perfect time to challenge a company that has created products you have enjoyed in the past, not take it in the ass at the first opportunity.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Biscuitpants

Is this DRM stuff still an issue? i must be the only person that thinks the xbox one is a steam console, all MS need to do is announce that they will be having more game sales and make them alot cheaper (like the steam sales)and everything will be forgiven

#61 1 year ago
  62. monkeygourmet

I wonder if they’ll lock out cheevo’s to family members or friends borrowing your license?

#62 1 year ago
  63. monkeygourmet

Then why haven’t they? That would be a great start.

#63 1 year ago
  64. zinc

I guess we’ll have to wait & see how it works.

The One thing clear, is that MS are struggling to communicate any benefits of this console.

#64 1 year ago
  65. Samoan Spider

@64 With 5 months to launch, they’ve still got plenty of their marketing calender left for the nitty gritty bits. Maybe just to put some time and distance between the furore and the ‘good news’ part so that it actually sinks in with people. Lets face it, people aren’t receptive to good things at the moment and aren’t entirely trusting (rightly so ofc).

#65 1 year ago
  66. WENDiGO

And the sheep come running back to the barn…I’m very doubtful of this because of the simple fact that this is game sharing, they won’t knowingly let you do that without some sort of catch. No point in the used games thing if you’re gonna have something where they can basically give each other games for free O_o

#66 1 year ago
  67. Biscuitpants

@64 beats me, i really hope they announce something like this or even show it and if not i hope less people buy the console just so that MS can hopefully adapt to knowing people dont like the shit there doing, imo the xbox doesnt sound that bad as what people make it out to be but god that price tag….

#67 1 year ago
  68. Tech-N9ne

Xbox One can do this because its DRM, always online and games are installed on the HD and you don’t need the disc. On the PS4 you need the disc always, no always online and no DRM. I don’t see how the PS4 can copy this.

#68 1 year ago
  69. MCTJim

@61..I couldn’t agree more. I have read all their posts on twitter and XBox.com and press releases and have read the facts. I like the system and the games. Personally and this is personal opinion, If I read it black and white, its going to be like steam..fine with me as I PC game also. BUT offer me discounts on my purchase of a game…Its not asking much..no box, no cover art, no nothing, so it SHOULD be cheaper.

Again, I am not fan of DRM on consoles and I dont like the 24 hr check in crap..it irks me. Buying and selling games is clear to me and I am fine with it. Its business as usual. I bring my game to gamestop and I get ripped off, so to me thats same ole same ole.

Fortunately for me, I make a decent living and have both systems on pre-order. Both are already paid for with the current pricing schemes. There were games I liked on PS4 and X1.

I am hoping that after all the hullabloo and the dust settles, they will lock down everything and make it easier for people to understand.

#69 1 year ago
  70. Samoan Spider

@70 Not to mention no shipping, no retailer cut and so on. There’s literally ZERO reasons for digital to be the same price or dearer than retail!

#70 1 year ago
  71. MCTJim

Yup, just bring games down to 49.99 instead of 59.99 and that would be a huge positive.

#71 1 year ago
  72. NeutralBlade

@62 This is MS we’re talking about here, and they don’t do Steam-like sales. Only in the perfect scenario, we would get something like this.

In the past, they had a commercial with the slogan, “Windows 7 was my idea.” Back then, Microsoft actually listened to the consumer. Fast forward to Windows 8, where Microsoft decided to create an ecosystem within their product, which is one of the primary reasons Windows 8 exists. And of course, they forced the Metro interface across all platforms, including on desktops and laptops; because their ecosystem is integrated into Metro, and they want it in your face at all times.

That move backfired, there was mass consumer backlash over the unfriendly interface, and sales were negatively affected; and like we have now, there were defenders of Windows 8, attempting to fight against the majority reaction. The consumer said they want boot-to-desktop functionality, and the traditional start menu to return. So after all the negative feedback Microsoft received from customers, (along with decreased sales), what did MS do?

What they did is continue to ignore consumer complaints while claiming that they’re “listening”. And what was the result? Windows 8.1 will be released on 8/1, and the Start button returns, but guess what? It’s just the button, giving off the illusion that they listened, when in fact, when you click the button, the Metro interface pulls up; the interface people hate to use on non-touch devices, which is what the vast majority of desktops and laptops are.

It would have been so easy to just give the consumer a choice between Metro and standard keyboard and mouse functionality, (like all versions of Windows had since 95), but MS these days, do whatever they want; not what they consumer likes.

To end, the MS reps’ comments came off as arrogant and stubborn, and I can see the same attitude they have now and with Windows 8, carrying over into the lifespan of the Xbox One. Azure allows them to create and fully control the Xbone’s ecosystem, and they will put whatever features and restrictions into the console they feel necessary, in order to maintain that control.

While I really hope things get better for Xbone adopters, MS’ previous and current behavior shows no upside in this situation. See what happens if the initial stock of the Xbone sells out. MS will become even more full off themselves, and press forward with their Azure/DRM agenda.

#72 1 year ago
  73. Khan979

They obviously need to provide quite a few more details about how this is going to work.

This was not their original plan, I flat out watched both the original reveal and E3. When they originally revealed the xbox one they said that you can share a game over at a friends house as long as YOU are logged into that friends console, and your friend can continue to play it as long as they are still logged in with YOUR account. If they are not logged in with your account, than they must pay a “Fee” to play the game. This was directly from Microsoft.

Now all the sudden we get, oh yeah, you can share your games with 10 friends/family, no problem, but then we don’t get any hardcore details.

It’s like this, they either did an about face and changed how it will work, are not completely disclosing all the information about how this will work on purpose, or this is just plain and simply smoke and mirrors to fool people into thinking it will work a certain way.

#73 1 year ago
  74. monkeygourmet

Exactly, so true.

#74 1 year ago
  75. MCTJim

@73 while I do appreciate your opinion on the matter, how do we know that they wont offer a discount on their digital downloads? I hope they do for the sake of saving some money. Hopefully in the coming months at the other trade shows they will explain further what the future holds.

As for their attitudes:

Mr Horse what do you think of MS’s attitudes on the X1?

No sir, I dont like it

#75 1 year ago
  76. NeutralBlade

@76 Everyone would hope so, but it’s just not the nature of sales in the console market. We would see great discounts on digital products this generation already, if any console manufacturer was going to do it.

Unfortunately, they’re not passing on the savings to us, and it’s very unlikely MS and their partners will throw us a bone, after they’ve taken over second-hand sales. Azure was built to maximize corporate profits, not to give us great rates on games.

As far as sales go in general, the current Xbox Marketplace is a good example. I expect MS will handle sales for the Xbone One, the same way they currently do in the marketplace for the 360; which isn’t much at all. Rates on the same games on competing consoles, will have more of an effect on the price of Xbone games.

#76 1 year ago
  77. CyberMarco

“how do we know that they wont offer a discount on their digital downloads?”

Why MS (or Sony) hasn’t done already so? If you take a look on the pricing it’s ridiculous.

I’ll say it again, when Remember Me launched it was 60$ on PSN and 40$ on Steam. Also GMG had a 25% coupon and the game was 30$. Yeah, I totally see MS and Sony going that way with digital pricing…

#77 1 year ago
  78. MCTJim

@77 I can hope can’t I LOL

The coming months will shed some insight. Do you hear this MS…explain better instead of me having to go to support and ask questions…put it in black and white….. If MS did this..I would do the happy dance.

#78 1 year ago
  79. Dark

#79 1 year ago
  80. MCTJim

So what that link tells me is we dont know yet..Has Sony come out and said their console can be resold? Anyone?

#80 1 year ago
  81. Kaufer

It just occurred to me. Xbox One Games on Demand, will they need 24 hour authentication too? MS likes to compare Xbone to Steam but so far they haven’t explain what their policy is on digital distribution.

#69 Tech-N9ne, for PSN games it used to be that 5 PS3s by sharing a PSNID can download the same game and play together at the same time. Now is just two.

#81 1 year ago
  82. monkeygourmet

I was actually thinking about this today. It honestly wouldn’t suprise me atall. Would be another terrible bit of PR for them though…

#82 1 year ago
  83. FeaturePreacher

Are these clowns dumb enough not to understand that they’re in for 5 more months of trying to justify their crap unless they finally capitulate and do what the hardcore audience wants. It’ll be very interesting to watch MS eventually crawl back from this poor stance.

#83 1 year ago
  84. MCTJim

@84 the coming months will indeed be interesting

#84 1 year ago
  85. NiceFellow

Sounds promising but I’m pretty cynical and sure there will be a ton of restrictions behind this. Otherwise, particularly for SP games, this would be worse than used games for publishers.

#85 1 year ago
  86. Khan979

I’ll wait until after launch. That’s when everything will be 100% clear. If they do fix all this restriction crap, than I will pick up the xbox as well (already have the PS4 on pre-order). Honestly a couple of the xbox one’s exclusives really look cool to me so in the games department, I think they are doing well, but for everything else almost , they are not.

#86 1 year ago
  87. mistermogul

MS really have been about as clear as an Eskimo talking backwards, with their mouths full of spaghetti, taped up and talking fucking Mongolian in a Glaswegian accent…

@86 – Agreed. The saying “if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is…” springs to mind.

If MS put this feature in without restrictions then they will lose a lot more than they would from the whole trade-in scenario as effectively they can lose 10 sales per sale!

#87 1 year ago
  88. Kaufer

If everybody has already forgotten PS3 has always-online games too. In fact its two and both by CAPCOM, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Final Fight: Double Impact for PSN back in 2011 their reason as “anti-game-sharing protection.” And back then game sharing was 5 and I suspect sony reduce it as a compromise because it was changed to 2 later that same year.
    And MS is giving 10 profiles to share whole libraries?

#88 1 year ago
  89. MCTJim

@89 it seems they are allowing 10 friends and family to share your library. But one at a time

#89 1 year ago
  90. manamana

@88 :-D really, must be Spencers strategy: release one new information per day until launch. Then do a pricecut just in time before launchday.

It’s all so confusing, they just need to put their box out and then we all will see how it handles in the real world. They still have nearly half a year to make clear what in gods name is forbidden, allowed or prohibited or okay.

#90 1 year ago
  91. NeutralBlade

@80 I’ve been thinking about that for a while now, and didn’t really talk about it here, so no official information was released about it. MS could very well block the resale of the Xbone, but mostly likely, the license can be transferred to a “participating partner”, which said partner will have to pay a fee for every console they resale. It’s also possible that there will also be a limit on how many times a console can be resold; if they allow it.

And because of that, places like Gamestop will give less money for the Xbox One, versus if it had no DRM in place. Once Gamestop has the console, the license will be transferred to them, the seller will lose their license in Azure, and the console will be formatted and updated with the latest firmware, before it can be resold. MS will not let any Xbone console be resold via partner, before Azure resets its license in the cloud.

From what I understand, your game trading rights reside within your profile, (which coincides with their policies), so if you don’t trade in your disc-based games when selling your console, you should still have the ability to go through the one-time trading procedure, in order to give your games away/or sell them. But I’m sure MS is also deciding what digital content is transferable via profile, and what content isn’t; so if you sell your console, you could end up losing nothing, up to the point of losing all non-game related digital content.

Going back to the console, it would really suck if they revoked resale rights on the Xbone, and they must still be deciding if they will force consumers to keep it, or integrate console resales into Azure.

You would think they would have this worked out by now, but clearly the execs at MS are still deciding on the best way for them to come out on top, when it comes to either allowing console resale or not. I’m sure their hesitation also have something to do with people that could simply give away or sell the console and games all together, along with profile info, or to someone within the “family”.

MS doesn’t want to mess that up by having any loopholes in Azure, so they’re still trying to figure it all out. Well, that’s my opinion on matter, and I chances are they will follow a system similar to what I’ve pointed out here.

But man, if MS comes out and says the Xbone cannot be resold, expect the internet to explode with anger.

#91 1 year ago
  92. Kaufer

#90 Yes. Thats the reason Capcom made it always-online because it only needs to be purchased only once and 5 people can play it at the same time if it weren’t for that. Its still pretty generous even with the limitation but then sony reduce it to 2 the same year the Capcom DRM hit even though sony themselves encourage game-sharing for several years.

Heres the link to that.

#92 1 year ago
  93. polygem

@80: i thought about that too and i think it will happen.

@62: i agree but the thing is. they should have said that already. if all these restrictions will come with a huge benefit for the consumer aka better pricing then this idea makes sense. i cannot see them holding that back for later, or maybe they indeed have a plan b. they wanted to see if people will swallow the shit without fair pricing, now they see the reaction and will announce sales, better pricing for retail and digital etc. and say, heeeey we ALWAYS wanted to do this, we love you guys.

fact is: prism, advertising on live gold, forced kinect. still enough reasons for me not to buy into x1

i´d love a sub based digital videogame rental service, saying that for a while, i really hope it will come, i do not collect games, i just want to play them. the main idea of the x1 aint bad, the execution though is a pure crime.

#93 1 year ago
  94. xBURNNERx

The negative feedback reminds me of children not getting what they want so they (scream) lol it’s funny how sony fanboys we’re bragging about blue Ray in ps3 justifying the price even lame ass Sony advertise the ps3 still to this day as the console (it only does everything)
    Lmao give this next gen about 2-3 year’s an watch everyone jump to Ms version of the steam box.. Digital is inevitable

#94 1 year ago
  95. polygem

“The negative feedback reminds me of children not getting what they want (…)”

nope burnner. this stuff is much bigger than that.

“Digital is inevitable”

i agree with that but this is not how you do it.

#95 1 year ago
  96. MCTJim

@95 you are correct..digital is inevitable..whether the consumer wants it or not. If content is only available via digital content, then what will people do?

This happened to all the major and mom and pop video rental stores…99% are gone…the 1% left are the redbox and that blockbuster blue box. Everything is available on demand and instant purchase. I see it slowly going digital. How this all pans out remains to be seen. But Gamestops here in the states are not long for this world of actual hard copies of games…..time will indeed tell

#96 1 year ago
  97. JB

@95 yeah right, people are against digital, which is why they choose PS4, PC or WiiU – All analog devices with no connected services. It´s about control, privacy issues and consumer rights.

Most wouldn`t give a shit if digital only, Kinect, always online for multiplayer and that shit was optional.

You also seem to miss a lot of formerly loyal Xbox 360 owners are against this BS.

Before E3 all the smart peeps said Sony would do the same, but they didn`t. Microsft says it`s the publishers who wanted it, but then the publishers say it`s Microsoft`s own decision.

But only kids, and old people care about stuff like that…

#97 1 year ago
  98. fearmonkey

So….We are hearing about this now……why? I mean, if they had planned this all along why wouldnt they have been screaming this from the rafters, this would be a very important feature!.

It screams of damage control or at least incompetence. I wanted to love the Xbox One, but it would become my 2nd console not my primary. My thing is that I rent games, buy the ones I like, and buy only a few titles new that I know I want to keep forever. Xbox one still isnt for me as of right now.

If they showcase a netflix rental type system, where for a monthly fee I can rent so many games a month or unlimited, then my interest would go a ton higher. However, the fact that I still wouldnt own the games I actually buy would still be a negative. MS could and can do more, and all the grief they are getting is pushing consumer friendly things to happen I am sure. IF they a re holding back and not thinking of getting back in our good graces, over time they are doomed to be 2nd or third place.

No one I personally know is going to buy a Xbone at launch, and all my friends used an Xbox 360 as their primary console. Somthing big would have to happen to change their minds.

#98 1 year ago
  99. TheBlackHole

I wouldn’t care if this IS damage control. It’s still awesome.

“Digital is inevitable”
    “i agree with that but this is not how you do it.”

Actually…

- Day and date digital and boxed releases
    - No need for disc after first instillation
    - Access to your games from any xbox without the disc
    - Share your entire games library with 10 friends/family
    - Ability to sell or trade your games

…I think this is EXACTLY how you do it.

#99 1 year ago
  100. Samoan Spider

@100 Yep, I have to agree. I think if that’s how it works then you’re quite right; That is exactly how you do it.

#100 1 year ago
  101. CyberMarco

Big deal, can be done with digital copies on PS3 and probably on PS4 too.

- Share your entire games library with 10 friends/family

- Ability to sell or trade your games

Am I f*cking blind when MS said that only through “participating” retailers you can sell/trade your games.

Also the thing with the 30 days friend on XBL is uncleared too!

I already answered your questions on the other article but still haven’t got a reply from you.

And people that are upset with MS’s approach are those who don’t like Steam in the first place.

#101 1 year ago
  102. TheBlackHole

“Big deal, can be done with digital copies on PS3 and probably on PS4 too.”

Because with PS3/4 your games are stored in the cloud?

Oh no, that’s right. PS4′s cloud systems will maybe work sometime in 2014?

“Still we don’t have a clear answer regarding this. If true kuddos to MS, but what’s the problem to come out and say so?”

Did you read this article?

FYI – I can’t always keep up with ever reply Marco – I have a real job I’m also doing.

#102 1 year ago
  103. Phoenixblight

“Because with PS3/4 your games are stored in the cloud?”

The cloud system and the PSN are two separate things. PS4 and Ps3 will be using the same PSN and that is where the games are kept and downloaded from. Get a clue.

#103 1 year ago
  104. monu-mental

Uh, guys, you’re rejoicing over nothing. That feature won’t be available upon launch, and publishers can opt out at anytime: http://www.gamesthirst.com/2013/06/06/you-wont-be-able-to-loan-or-rent-xbox-one-games/

#104 1 year ago
  105. CyberMarco

“Because with PS3/4 your games are stored in the cloud?”

……………………………………..________
    …………………………..`:,,………………………`\…………..__
    ……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
    …………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
    ……………………………..,<`.._|_,-&“…………….`\

#105 1 year ago
  106. JB

Sure Steam has a lot of issues for me, but:

Steam doesn`t require you to be connected every 24 hours to be able to play your purchased games/services offline.

You don`t need kinect.

You don`t need Xbox live Gold.

The prices are different.

There`s probably more.

#106 1 year ago
  107. CyberMarco

I use Steam too, take a look at my library, from the 100 or so games, I merely haven’t bought even 10 directly from Steam, every game comes from an Indie bundle or Amazon/GMG etc.

I just can’t believe that MS/Sony will come on a random sunny day and offer the same “values” that Steam does.

I personally don’t have the “you don’t own your game on Steam” issue because I can always make a back-up of my games, something that is impossible with XBL/PSN games.

#107 1 year ago
  108. JB

@80 that`s not Microsoft`s decision to make if they`re selling the Xbox-Done as it would be a clear cut violation of the first sale doctrine or rights of first sale.

#108 1 year ago
  109. TheBlackHole

That’s a different feature.

@104 & 106

So you can share games via PSN then, and the console has a way of verifying that you have a licence to use that game and that you haven’t sold it. And it’s built to run the games without the disc, if you bought it on disc… No?

Be as sarcastic as you like, but it doesn’t change the fact that while you can say ‘Sony can do that, they have psn’ they haven’t built the infrastructure to support it, and their policy stance will largely prevents them from doing it anyway.

Happy to hear your explanations as to how, if you disagree.

#109 1 year ago
  110. CyberMarco

^ Again, “Big deal, can be done with digital copies on PS3 and probably on PS4 too.”

So my position stands clear. Kuddos to MS if the disc-sharing thing is true as we want to believe. But unless they come and state so I have the choice of doubt.

#110 1 year ago
  111. pandulce1

How is this game sharing going to work all of a sudden? Let’s suppose I buy and download an XBOne game on my console. I later go to a friends house to share my game with her (with second intentions, of course). Will my game be accessed directly from my console as some sort of OnLive service or will the game have to be downloaded first on her console? Obviously it’s not going to be played from the cloud because then there would be no need to download it on my system in the first place. Does anyone here know the answer to this?

#111 1 year ago
  112. OwningXylophone

@ CM

MS have been pretty clear on how it will work. You can play any game in your own library regardless of any other family members, then any 1 of the other 9 (as I assume the 10 includes the original purchaser) can be accessing a single game from your library. I can’t be bothered to look back for a source on that, because frankly it’s a nice feature but not exactly amazing. It’s not like all 10 can be playing the same game at once, just you + 1 of the other 9/10 at any time. Plus, and this part is just me speculating, I would assume that the ‘family’ member is playing this streamed form the cloud, Ala Onlive, rather than downloading it to their own Box

MS cannot stop you reselling the XBone. That would break many laws in many countries.

#112 1 year ago
  113. monkeygourmet

Lol, that’s was as clear as mud! Good try though, as good as any I’ve seen yet! :)

#113 1 year ago
  114. TheBlackHole

Here’s how I understand it to work.

I buy a game, install it to my Xbox.

A version of that game is stored on my Xbox and in the cloud.

Anyone on my family account can access my library of games and play them from their Xbox, but just like when you lend people a disc, only one person can be playing the game at any given time.

#114 1 year ago
  115. monkeygourmet

That would be pretty generous, and something to boast about if that’s exactly how it works! :)

In fact, it would go from being the most DRM backwards device ever, to one of the most customer friendly?!

#115 1 year ago
  116. CyberMarco

“A version of that game is stored on my Xbox and in the cloud.”

I think the game is tied in your XBL account, just like if you have bought a digital copy, like Game on Demand.

“In terms of how you play them, I assume you would download the game and play as it’s downloading.”

Yeah, something like that.

But I would assume that once you are in a “family” you can’t be part of another one.

Also 2 things that are clear as mud. (http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license)

“Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.”

So the sharing the game-library is a way to bypass it?

“Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.”

So we are up to the pub’s mercy if we can trade our physical copies of games.

Also according to this: (http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected)

“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.”

So how can your family member use your games if you have to be online on their console?

Yeah, really clear and well explained.

#116 1 year ago
  117. monkeygourmet

Also, it makes it sound like each ‘family member’ gets to try the game once then the rights are revoked. I.E. you get one ‘loan’ to each person, if you stop playing or turn off the machine, that loan stops.

Or something like that?!

So fucking confusing…

#117 1 year ago
  118. pandulce1

It’s precisely this guess work that we all have to do that makes me believe that MS is just making this stuff up now due to the negative reactions to their use of DRM. They talked about the cloud increasing the XBOne’s power 3x (yeah right) and I’m sure they would have mentioned game streaming capability as well if they were planning on using it.

I’m thinking that all they are referring to is that up to ten people can play your games on your console when logged in with their own user ID. As ridiculous as it seems that they might be placing restrictions on how many people can play your games at your place, it goes right in line with everything else they’re doing.

#118 1 year ago
  119. Cort

And the humiliating climb-downs – sorry, policy clarifications – continue.

#119 1 year ago
  120. monkeygourmet

#120 1 year ago
  121. OwningXylophone

@CM

After going away from my computer, coming back and re-reading my post, yeah still not too clear. I think I see what MS’s problem is here! I understand what they are offering (I think!) but I’ll be damned if it’s easy to explain.

To try and put it in as few words as possible: 1 family member at a time (yourself not included) can access and play your library of games stored on the cloud.

That is as few words as I could go with. For your other points:-

I too would assume you can only be part of 1 ‘family’.

Give your games: Outside of the shared library, you can gift a game to a friend (only once per game), so you lose your license, your friend gains one for free. Said friend must have been on your friends list for at least 30 days, and this is at the publishers discretion (but will be supported by all 1st party titles). Basically Steam Gifts but with the ability to give up your own copy rather than just buying an extra one.

Selling your games: (*note: this is my understanding!*) You will be able to sell your games to participating retailers (to deactivate the license), 3rd party publishers may setup business terms with the retailers for transfer fees (to be paid by the store, and probably passed onto the customer in the trade-in value). I also read this as 3rd party publishers would be able to prevent you trading in certain games if they desired.

24 hour/1 hour: Your profile can play games offline for 24 hours on your own XB1, or for 1 hour on any other XB1. There is no requirement for you to be online for ‘family members’ to access the shared library.

But yes, MS’s PR on all this has been about as clear as mud! I honestly don’t think they have flip-flopped, or had a change of heart on anything, as the family thing was announced pre-E3, they’ve just done a piss poor job of actually communicating any of it.

@119 MS have stated that family members do not have to share the same console to access the shared library.

#121 1 year ago
  122. Phoenixblight

“Or, Microsoft’s cloud is comparable/ahead of gaikai and you’re actually streaming the game from one of Microsoft’s 300k servers…”

No they don’t have the set up to stream games like Gaikai.

“If you’re talking about full game streaming, the technical reality of that is that that’s multiple years off in terms of having a complete system that people will really look at and say, hey, that actually works for me in terms of latency and performance, explains Mehdi.”

#122 1 year ago
  123. Moonwalker1982

I could be wrong, but wasn’t this sharing policy already announced WAY before E3?

#123 1 year ago
  124. Phoenixblight

Yeah it was announced a week prior.

#124 1 year ago
  125. Moonwalker1982

Wow. So both MS and the media are to blame then. MS should have gone into more detail about this. Cause sure, even though those used game restrictions are still weird and for some people bad, this IS a damn nice feature that makes up for it in almost all ways if you ask me.

#125 1 year ago
  126. cabalwars

They are only giving a disservice to the gaming community by putting limitations like this. That one desperate friend who doesn’t get to be included because of share limitations will end up stalking you outside of the GameStop. http://youtu.be/BlsZocC_XJA

#126 1 year ago