Xbox One: “We believe the digital world is better” says Microsoft

Thursday, 13th June 2013 11:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s online check-ins have proven to be a big talking point this morning, now it’s Microsoft exec Yusuf Mehdi’s turn to explain why the console’s authentication makes sense. “We believe the digital world is better,” he said in a new interview.

Speaking with Ars Technica, Mehdi said, “We’re trying to do something pretty big in terms of moving the industry forward for console gaming into the digital world. We believe the digital world is the future, and we believe digital is better.

“This is a big change. Consumers don’t always love change, and there’s a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand.”

Mehdi spooled off some examples of why Xbox One’s approach is better, such as sharing entire game libraries with family members and more. He then added, “As you go into a digital world, what’s happening is publishers are choosing to have different business models, and consumers are saying ‘Hey, if I can’t resell the title, provide me a different way to get value to get into your game.’ And we think the market will be efficient in finding good models that work for consumers.”

He then discussed the rationale behind Xbox One anti-used policies that publishers are free to adopt if they so wish. Mehdi continued, “Within that, we’ve tried to optimise, and I think we’ve found a great balance across all of those dimensions. But there are tradeoffs. We do want to support everyone in that system, beginning with the consumer.

“But we want publishers to get paid for the great IP they work on. We want retailers to be able to drive and sell our products and make a profit. So we are trying to balance across all those.”

What do you make of the above? Is Microsoft’s vision for a digital future truly better, or is it flawed? Let us know below.

Thanks GI.biz.

1. Fethennour

Yeah, try to justify your fail all you want. Whatever.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ge0force

Since digital Xbox games can only be bought from MS’s own overpriced store, the digital world will only be better for them. Bleh.

#2 1 year ago
  3. zinc

Translation: We have total control over digital & are betting on our fanbase to swallow our shit.

#3 1 year ago
  4. polygem

i love change man, don´t give me that bullshit. it should be change in a good direction though. i just don´t like stuff forced on me that´s all. seriously. they should REALLY FINALLY just shut up for now, think about what they are having to say, then explain what their vision is, why it´s so great. then we can talk. for now it´s all just bullshit and every statement only makes things worse. jeez what´s wrong with those guys? they might need some psychologists in their PR team to teach them the basics about the human mind. they are like robots repeating the same wrong answer over and over again while failing to even get the question. it´s embarassing.

#4 1 year ago
  5. polygem

if they finally reveal: hey, our retail games will be 39,99 instead of 69,99, our digital games will even be cheaper…then that would be a real coup. it wont happen though.

right now i think that could be the only real killer argument and it´s not going to happen.

i cannot see ms getting out of this again.

in 10 years they will play the “we´ve been ahead of our time back then” card.
    yeah…

#5 1 year ago
  6. loveaya

Moneysoft, please enhance every region’s internet connection for your XBOX ONE~

#6 1 year ago
  7. Rikki

Finally they are saying something correct.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Froseidon

#8 1 year ago
  9. eXite85

“We believe the digital world is better”

If there is one thing the world should know by now, that a digital world can be better, but not in the hands of an American company! Damn NSABox !

#9 1 year ago
  10. MadFingerz

“We believe…we think”, where does the consumer enter in this “we” you talk about? Does what the consumer believes/thinks matter to you? Maybe you’ll awake up when reality kicks you in the balls..

I understand the “educating the consumer” thing, many times that is necessary in technological businesses. But consumer perception is everything and right now the consumer feels like you are trying to brainwash, not educate.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lewis247

MS are the biggest arrogant morons in a long time.

Even that thing about the update only being a few kilobytes not megabytes… IT’S DOESN’T MATTER IF THERE WAS NO FUCKING SIZE, IF I DON’T HAVE ACCESS TO INTERNET AT SOME POINT IN TIME YOU’LL BLOCK ME FROM PLAYING MY OWN FUCKING GAMES.

Not acceptable at all. They are like small kids trying to lay down their own rules and rather than accept defeat and that most are jumping ship to PS4 they want to keep trying to justify their shitty deluded policies.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Kieran

use believe more money the better :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. Froseidon

It might be better, but for the future, not the current times. They will lose a lot of ground to Sony for this, and they cannot afford to lose it at this stage. In my opinion, its like they’re trying to bring the future to the present, even though it should remain in the future. It was a premature jump.

P.S – I think my first comment dun goofed :|

#13 1 year ago
  14. MCTJim

I really dont care about the always on. I want to be able to play used games too. So if were are going to use a model like this then you need to offer me discounts on my purchases. Games should be cheaper like on Steam. So if CoD or BF are released on the console, then offer me the consumer the option of downloading it at a price that is cheaper than retail. New games could come in at 49.99. If I go to GS and buy a used current gen title, it should be cheaper. If I used GS model for used games and they are currently newer titles, then I should get that discount via digital download.

I do like the sharing feature with friends and family..that in itself it pretty cool.

#14 1 year ago
  15. coloredlense

Clearly it’s flawed. The publishers were paid for the IP. However, that aside, for me it’s not about the DRM of the products. It’s about the requirement that I check in every 24 hours or I essentially brick the system (or have a very expensive bluray player). That’s ludicrous, in particular when it involves single player, no connection necessary to play, titles.

Are they pushing industry forward yes. Is digital the future? Possibly. Is the future here? No. Not while great swathes of the world remain digitally dark. I’ve seen Xbox 360′s in places where the internet simply isn’t. What Microsoft is really saying is, “We’re catering to the Elite, and we don’t care about anyone else.” It’s not the $100 or £80 price difference. It’s a little about the DRM, it’s a lot about their expectation to limit hardware someone has legally purchased if that person chooses not to leave their system always on, or always connected, or frankly can’t connect.

Microsoft is trying to police an industry that can very well police itself, when it chooses to do so.

#15 1 year ago
  16. manamana

Of course they believe that. They were the first to sign NSAs PRISM program…

#16 1 year ago
  17. Pytox

Keep on digging

#17 1 year ago
  18. mark_t50

I think I’ll just go with some other device (like, urm, a PS4!) that will be able to offer me the same great benefits should I chose to be connected, yet still allow me the freedom to play some of my titles offline should I want to and without the NSA and FBI spying on me ;)

Microsoft are removing customer choice (Well, apart from the choice not to buy it) and that is never a good thing imho. The daft thing is if they left the choice up to me as to whether I connected it to the net or not, it would be on all the time, heck my 360 has never been offline since the day I got it but don’t you dare tell me I HAVE to have it connected because that should be my decision. And Kinect should not only be optional to plug in, but optional to purchase, offer an SKU without Kinect at $399 and I might be interested.

All this ‘Cloud power’ PR spin is over playing the capabilities at the moment, and when technology is fast enough and widespread enough for it to become a reality, any device with an ethernet port or wifi will be able to access a ‘Cloud’ anyway.

#18 1 year ago
  19. orakaa

So basically, there is no real reason for it to be mandatory, then?
    “We just do this because screw you” ?

And then I think that more than 20-25% of 360 owners never connected their console to Xbox Live (I am not saying rarely play or whatever but just never connected it). And this came from Microsoft themselves.

Oh, after what Don Mattrick said earlier I guess they’ll just have to “stay on the 360″, right?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Virginityrocks

Roping in a digital-only platform isn’t unique to Microsoft. It’s a platform many publishers have been aiming for since US and Canadian laws undercut the first-sale doctrine, a right of people to sell the things they own. Since the DMCA of 1998 and other bills pasted since the early 2000s, there have been greater restrictions put on the first-sale doctrine in terms of digital ownership and licensing of intellectual property.

The idea is to slowly convert everyone to a digital marketplace that they control, essentially buying permission to use the software, without any actual ownership, and simultaneously granting the right of the marketplace (iOS, PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, etc.) to take away your purchases at any time, for any or no reason they provide with no compensation. Also making your purchases in non-transferable between multiple services.

It’s a very tricky game of litigation and the corporatist takeover of our political system.

#20 1 year ago
  21. merrc

Well said @VIRGINITYROCKS

I believe we all embrace change, but not forcefully!

#21 1 year ago
  22. tmac2011

im never getting an xbox one, lets spy on the gamer. internet checkins are just crazy…. no used games is insane……

#22 1 year ago
  23. mistermogul

@8 – I fully agree! ;)

#23 1 year ago
  24. Bomba Luigi

Yeah, why not. You can delivere a Great Experience through an Internet Connection, thats great, really.

But no matter how Great that Experience is, its no reason to not give People an Offline Option, even when you then miss some cool Stuff.

Because, look, People who want Online Experience can get that on PS4 too. Or you can play offline all the Time. People have choice, funny eh?

#24 1 year ago
  25. laughing-gravy

Translated it means “we want to take away your basic consumer right of ownership”.

#25 1 year ago
  26. ps3fanboy

look at all the hate :D i just sit back and read and enjoy vg247 now days… i dont have to do anything, mickey$oft is stabbing them self and shoting their own foot all day long, LOL!… anyway i must say this: XBONE SUCKS AND I TOLD YOU SO MONTHS AGO!

#26 1 year ago
  27. JB

We believe consumers are stoopid.

We believe consumers shouldn`t have ownership over their games.

We believe we should control pricing, availability and access to games.

We belive digital games should cost the same as boxed games.

We believe that the consumers that don`t get it, are a tiny group of paranoid haters who`re afraid of change and progress.

We belive mandatory Kinect is good for the consumers based on the fact that more than 2/3 of Xbox 360 users didn`t buy one.

We think “All for one – Input one” is a great slogan.

We believe Sony has got it wrong.

We are out of touch with reality and we`re living in a fantasy world, please help us.

#27 1 year ago
  28. karma

I believe Microsoft execs only cares about controlling our wallets. They want to dictate how much gaming is worth to all of us, or more accurately how much Microsoft / Xbox is worth to all of us. They needed this lesson in hubris to bring them back down to Earth again.

I strongly believe that if MS had their way, they would single handedly destroy the games industry as we know it.

#28 1 year ago
  29. salarta

Translation: “We don’t like that we have to pay Sony to include a Blu-Ray player, so we want to push people into a model where everything is required to be downloaded directly as fast as possible, and being able to control whether or not people can use what they buy is very nice bonus.”

#29 1 year ago
  30. OmegaSlayer

I know where he comes from.
    Digital poop doesn’t stink.
    Fact LOL

#30 1 year ago
  31. illusiveman

@Salarta Sony doesn’t own Blu-ray. But MS owns the licenses to Windows that is loaded on Sony laptops.

#31 1 year ago
  32. theirwatching

Are people really that paranoid about the kinect? I guess I don’t really care if some weird person watches me play a game for 2 hours or however long I play it maybe ill even play naked give them something to really look at. It has to be a joke are people really that paranoid or are they just trying to convince people to buy the PS4?

#32 1 year ago
  33. monkees19

Yes, the ditial world is better for YOU. If I can’t have a hard copy of your game, I wont have it.

#33 1 year ago
  34. coloredlense

@32 Yes. here is one reason: MS filed for a patent for facial recognition and counting presence in a room via the device. So what you ask? Well, let’s say you invite 15 friends over to watch a movie, maybe via Netflix, or Bluray or whatever. Now all BluRay’s come with a warning about not intended for a public showing, only to be used in privacy of your own home etc etc etc. Well now your Kinnect sees you have 15 people, and someone has arbitrarily determined that the cut off for family viewing is 6. Xbox One now pauses your bluray disk/netflix video and prompts you to pay an added fee to cover the additional 9 people in your house.

You think oh, I’ll just cover it up? Wrong. It has infrared sensors to see beyond this cover, or worse, shuts down the system (and they’d do it, they’ll do it if you can’t connect in 24 hours) because it can’t verify the number of viewers for the content.

Also, it can take your heart rate and temperature and who knows what else just by standing in front of it. Big brother much?

These are just some of the reasons people are paranoid about it. And you think MS won’t scan your house for products you use in order to better market it or sell the data to marketers? Sure… they also said DLC won’t cost anything and now we all pay for incomplete games that we then have to purchase DLC for in order to get the full game.

Good luck with that.