US Navy serviceman calls Xbox One’s 24-hour online check “a sin committed against all service members”

Thursday, 13th June 2013 22:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

United States Navy serviceman Jay Johnson, who in the last last two and a half years has been deployed or detached for a total of 18 months, has written a rather emphatic plea to publishers who wish to employ some form of online authentication program into its games through Xbox One. He also expresses disappointment in Microsoft’s new console, calling its 24-hour “check in” process the “greatest sin” it could have “committed against all service members.”

His post on Gamaustra doesn’t mince words, stating Microsoft has ” single-handedly alienated” the militaries of the entire world.

“The single greatest sin Microsoft has committed against all service members [is] their surprising decision to require the Xbox One to receive a message from the “mother ship” every 24 hours,” wrote Johnson. “The reason that I am so infuriated about it is that I, and my brothers and sisters in arms, will not ever be able to play Xbox One when deployed or on detachment.

“No longer will the sounds of Master Chief saving the human race echo through the hallowed halls of the USS Abraham Lincoln, or any other USS Ship, when we have a few hours respite. No longer will you see Marcus and Dom sawing through the Locust Horde at the bases in Afghanistan after the Marines have returned from patrol and want to escape their reality for a bit.

“Those days are now firmly behind us. Microsoft has single-handedly alienated the entire military, and not just the U.S. military, the militaries of the entire world.”

Johnson said that despite his preference for previous generations of Microsoft systems, he will “not be buying an Xbox One at launch.”

“In fact, the Xbox One might as well be called the Halo-Box, because I simply will not purchase it until the next Halo game drops,” he wrote. “With developers focusing, more and more, on the multi-platform model, how much will I really be missing out on? None of the exclusives from either Sony or Microsoft excited me, except for the Halo tease. Simply put, outside of Halo and Forza, Sony has better exclusives.

“With developers like Quantic Dream, Naughty Dog, and titles like The Last Guardian looming on the horizon, all exclusive to PS4, I feel like I will be in much better hands with Sony. So, how much will I really be missing out on? While I think Forza is superior (so far) to Gran Turismo, the GT series is still very good, and I can play it when embarked on the ship. While I am a diehard Halo fan, the wait for the next iteration and my eventual purchase of my Halo-Box will give me ample opportunity to explore the Killzone series. Everything else, from Assassin’s Creed to Call of Duty, I can experience on the PS4, offline and tucked away in my little room on the ship, and without the concern of the programming complications that faced developers with the PS3.”

Johnson said that while the the military represent “less than one percent of the nation’s populace,” he feels the alienation of service members by Microsoft will have “more of an impact than they realize.”

“Although the PS4 will not have an online requirement to run, developers will still be able to make games that require persistent online authentication. Do not do this to us,” he wrote. “Don’t alienate us with online requirements for games. It will cost you money and respect.

“This is a lesson that Microsoft is, tragically, about to learn.”

Xbox One is out in November and PS4 is slated for a release sometime before Christmas.

1. Aullah

Ok.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Is this a PR message it seems like it, no disrespect.“With developers like Quantic Dream, Naughty Dog, and titles like The Last Guardian looming on the horizon, all exclusive to PS4.” Does he know something we don’t? :)

#2 10 months ago
  3. Froseidon

I mean no disrespect, but it is their job choice. It sucks I admit, but MS didn’t tell them to become servicemen, and funnily enough, they aren’t the only ones in the world a console needs to cater to. That said, I kinda feel sorry for them, but still.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Gigabomber

@2 The last guardian still looming. sure.

#4 10 months ago
  5. JackTheFaux

If I’m not mistaken, someone from Microsoft said that they would “figure something out” for service members and the like.

#5 10 months ago
  6. laughing-gravy

Sony should send them some PS4′s. :-)

#6 10 months ago
  7. SlayerGT

@2 Sounds to me like a gamer. Like you or I its his hobby and he knows what he’s talking about is all.

#7 10 months ago
  8. GregSolidus

Shouldn’t soldiers be doing more important things like honing their skills to combat our enemies instead of complaining that they can’t hone their skills on Call of Duty Ghosts with the Xbox One?

#8 10 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

@SlayerGT
    Yeah but that paragraph just seemed like PR to me, but i am glad he is very vocal about PS4 and Xbox One and appreciate would they do (also knowing how men spend their time), so gaming without restrictions for these guys should be mandatory.

#9 10 months ago
  10. zinc

Hoorah!!

On a serious note, the U.S. militery do have a habit of pulling up to schools on careers days with a van full of 360′s playing Gears.

Wankers.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

@Greg
    They are entitled to much more than that, for all they do for us.

#11 10 months ago
  12. GregSolidus

I think they can manage.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Sylrissa

Some of these comments are down right disrespectful.

People who put their lives at risk to project their country deserve a hell of a lot more then just to be able to play some video games in their free time of their choosing

#13 10 months ago
  14. Erthazus

I’m sure there will be a special Xbox One edition for military without Online function.

All electronics companies make editions that are different so I don’t see what’s wrong here.

#14 10 months ago
  15. _LarZen_

My guess is that Microsoft can implement a feature that makes servicemen and women around the world not having to check in every 24h.

Microsoft has the power to do whatever they want with their XBO, so I recon if they have any respect they will find a way for it.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Crussong

@8 They arent freakin machines, dumbass. When they have a little free time, they can do and enjoy whatever they want. Theyre not 24 hours learning how to kill other people! Get some damn respect.
    Im not even from the US, but i know what it means to need a bit time for yourself. They are just people, some of them gamers and some of them not. Those who like to spent time playing some games, just got fucked by Microsoft. You just should get punched in the face for that CoD Ghosts bullshit too..

#16 10 months ago
  17. Sylrissa

@15 I’d certainly hope so, would be a nice sign to do that for them.

#17 10 months ago
  18. lookingglass

lol a product you can’t use in the middle of nowhere and it’s a sin because of that.

I have friends and family in the military and I support the shit out of them, but this is dumb and its a shamefully biased article to post.

#18 10 months ago
  19. jefedemuchanina

Okay to start off im in the army (rangers) to be exact so its fair to say i get deployed far more often and in some cases longer and i have no problem with it. Why? Because well in south america and middle east i cant use my xbox wtf are doing while your deployed? I know your probably not doing the same type of missions i am but still deployed is just that. Sitting on a ship all day waiting to retire was your choice i mean while our brothers are out there dying your worried about playing xbox from your bunk? Ugh navy guys

#19 10 months ago
  20. Nirvi

I served in U.S. Army, 181st IR. This guy is an idiot. Gaming in the military is not right, it’s a luxury. Luxury if you have the time to game. Also I doubt this guy is really in the military, no one in their right mind serving would make a statement like that. Makes you look so childish.

#20 10 months ago
  21. DSB

Damn. I think this is gonna hurt more than anyone thought it would. I hope for the Xbox divisions sake that they’re planning to unfuck this up in the very near future.

I don’t see how they have any option left beyond a retreat. It’s one thing to fuck over core gamers and former customers, it’s quite another to fuck over the military.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Fin

Guys, don’t worry, he can just buy a 360.

#22 10 months ago
  23. DSB

^^ Or deal with it!

#23 10 months ago
  24. jefedemuchanina

@23 he shouldnt have anything i be damned if i get to sit in my bunk and play xbox while deployed

#24 10 months ago
  25. GregSolidus

So everyone’s ok with them getting preferential treatment but being expected to fulfill the one a day check no matter what extenuating circumstances you have. I’m just curious since if they guy who signed up to be on a boat for 18 months gets a free pass why not the guy in Iowa who has spotty internet FOREVER? I don’t think it’s truly fair to discriminate, either all of us benefit or none of us do.

#25 10 months ago
  26. zinc

@19,20. A service man stands up & objects to a basic freedom being denied him by a greedy dictator & you object!?

Some soldiers you guys are.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Biscuitpants

“committed against all service members.”

typical soldiers thinking about themselves

pigs

#27 10 months ago
  28. Malmer

I read a quote somewhere that MS would have a solution for this special case. I could be mistaken ofc. But it seems doable.

#28 10 months ago
  29. jefedemuchanina

Lol you have to be kidding soldiers arent sitting on a boat playing xbox while deployed ive yet to have enough downtime to play xbox once. Either he’s the deck scrubber or the village idiot as the other guy said its a luxury. Do you feel comfortable knowing your army is in iraq playing xbox while marines die? I dont think so. So why should the navy while the rest of us bust ass?

#29 10 months ago
  30. reask

Deleted/
    By Me.

#30 10 months ago
  31. manamana

They should rename it into Xbox Boomerang.
    Okay, troll comment, I know.

#31 10 months ago
  32. Nirvi

@26 Playing video games is not right! It’s a luxury. There are alternatives if he insists on gaming where there is no internet access, get a 360, PS3 or later down the road PS4.

#32 10 months ago
  33. ihatevry1

I literally registered just to add this comment. I was deployed on the USS Abraham Lincoln when Halo 3 was set to release. The ENTIRE battle group…air squadrons, ships, and subs…stayed in and around naval air station Coronado for an extra few days SOLELY for the purpose of everyone having the opportunity to find themselves a copy. The ships “MWR” (morale and welfare resources department) bought ten copies themselves. The PEOPLE, not taxpayer money!! That department then started putting on giant halo tournaments after hours on the mess decks that culminated in the hangar bay being used for the final match. That was through a six month deployment. When MWR was able to, they started letting people check the game out just in case they missed it somehow. The online 24/7 is ridiculous for service members. Best times you have on board a ship is your few and far between downtimes where you system link your xbox’s and have a tournament with another department, or just sit in your shop and play a few rounds of tiger woods after taps. Then those poor guys with boots on the ground…it’s very near a slap to all service members, no matter how unintentional it is. Microsoft needs to realize that ALL taxpayers paid for my battle groups fuel and time SOLELY for the purpose to buy Halo 3. I can personally attest to seeing more 360′s than ps3′s of my 5000+ crew members, but ps4 will likely be the new console of choice for service members…that isn’t disturbing, but the lack of foresight from Microsoft, based VERY near THREE naval stations is an abomination.

#33 10 months ago
  34. CaptPierce

As a military child who lived with my family in Germany for 4 years, this guy has a point. Sure it’s a luxury, but servicemen don’t wake up in the morning wanting to shoot things. Them and others deployed are putting their lives on the line for us, I’d say they deserve to relax and enjoy something that won’t brick up on them without a day of Internet.

And being deployed in different countries where Internet speed and region-locked coding is a major problem, especially seeing how limited its release will be.

#34 10 months ago
  35. reask

What were you doing in between?

#35 10 months ago
  36. Tech-N9ne

This is the dumbest post ever. “basic freedom”?, its a f..king video game for Christ sake.

Talk about first world problems. We have people dying in lots of countries for (REAL) freedom of speech, religion, sexuality, racial equity and even freedom to walk down the street. And this fool is talking about freedom to play a video game that no one is forcing you to buy. Amazing!

#36 10 months ago
  37. reask

Plus 100

#37 10 months ago
  38. Stephany Nunneley

@30 – This is a gaming blog not a place for you to bitch about how much you hate the US or its military, surely where ever it is you live you have one as well. You want to spout stuff like this, go to Tumblr. This is not a political site. It’s about games.

@the rest of you – one of the first things the majority of you said when the “always online” debate came about was “what about the servicemen and women?” Well now you have something from one’s perspective and you come out of the woodwork complaining.

There is no winning with you guys. I give up.

A personal note: As someone who lived with an ex-Marine for 10 years, whose father served two tours in Vietnam and whose grandfather was in WW2 and whose great-father was in WWI – etc etc and know FIRST HAND how war affects a person for the rest of their lives, I find some of these comments highly insulting.

#38 10 months ago
  39. jefedemuchanina

@36 exactly people have no clue the atrocities that go on in these countries until you see it yourself. Well without going into detail in the rangers we go to alot of these countries to train these militias to defend themselves against tyranny and hardly have time to play xbox lol

#39 10 months ago
  40. zinc

@29, Do I feel comfortable that service men/women are enjoying downtime watching tv, playing xbox or using the internet like all us other mortals do to relax?

Yeah, i’m good with that.

Am I comfortable that some dick pretending to be a Ranger (you love Con-Air right?) is defending bullshit business stratagems?

No. Got a problem there.

#40 10 months ago
  41. NeutralBlade

Being a former service member myself, there is nothing wrong with using your downtime as you see fit. As another mentioned, they’re not machines, and should be able to enjoy themselves in the time they have off.

He’s clearly a big Xbox supporter, major Halo fan. He feels betrayed, and when that happens, people react. Service members should just buy the competitions’ product, as MS certainly considered all the people they’ll be shutting out; and they went along with their Azure control system anyway.

And MS’s response to similar complaints? Get a 360, they said. No, just buy something else. MS has already decided that they don’t care what you want. It’s too bad.

#41 10 months ago
  42. reask

My apologies so.
    I just found it very condescending tbh.

#42 10 months ago
  43. manamana

I didn’t realize that Halo made such a huge impact in the US Army. I loved it for shure but since 4 it’s all over for me. Yes, I can definitely see Microsoft backpaddeling before launch.

#43 10 months ago
  44. Lengendaryboss

@Steph
    Well Steph i am grateful, gives us insight into the lives of the gaming realm of soldiers who risk their lives for us.

#44 10 months ago
  45. El_MUERkO

Sony PR will be all over this like a Rash. “Halo you say? Have you tried Killzone 3? Here have a bunch on PS3′s with Killzone 3. Just to get yourself familiarized before the PS4 launch.”

#45 10 months ago
  46. zinc

@36, No, dumb is believing the bullshit the Chuck Norris wannabe is spewing.

My issue is with that fantasist, not you.

Though if military men/women are going to be unable to enjoy the xbone, simply because of MS’s silly DRM, well shit son, thats not good.

#46 10 months ago
  47. Battler624

servicemen worry not if you are X-1 fans, the system WILL BE BROKEN and SHALL BE SET FREE be it to make it better for the consumer or to simply step upon those anti-consumer companies pride the first step is to take the authentication method down and more steps to follow to a point where WE will open the system for all to use, be it that time when piracy hits and if it does region lock shall be no-more.

#47 10 months ago
  48. Telepathic.Geometry

Presumably the servicemen are adults, in which case they can find alternatives to playing X1, like PS4, chess, reading books, watching movies and HBO, table tennis, yoga…

#48 10 months ago
  49. jefedemuchanina

@46 well unfortunately for you i am in the army ranger and have been in the army for 8 years in november. Ask anyone deployed army marines what they did in a comabat zone sure was playing xbox. Way your talking must be one of those navy guys

#49 10 months ago
  50. salarta

@2: More than likely, his mentioning all those PS4 games is simply an impassioned fan of the Halo series trying to press the point home to Microsoft that they need to fix the mess they’ve made as soon as possible, and to urge other companies not to follow Microsoft’s path. Pointing out games the competitor will get is essentially saying “I would have bought your console if you knew better, but since you didn’t, I’d like to make you aware that I have a fantastic alternative where my money will be going instead of with you.”

@5: If that’s true, then that’s a good thing, but it’s also really, really sad and pathetic. Microsoft is a big company, something like this should not have caught them with their pants down. They should’ve had a solution already planned and in place. Not having one shows just how little they truly give a shit about their end consumers, because they didn’t take even a smidgen of time to consider what situations could prevent people from being able to get online with the XBox One.

@8: I don’t care if you’re trolling or serious, that was incredibly ignorant and disrespectful. And I suppose construction workers have to spend all day and night doing construction work, dentists aren’t allowed to do anything with their lives other than work on teeth, etc.

@20: I’m glad you prefaced your comment by noting your personal experience, so we have context of where it’s coming from. I’m entirely serious about that, it’s important to know since we know it’s coming from someone of experience and not some random kid speaking from what he imagines the military to be. However, I find your assertion that a “real” military person wouldn’t express his frustration like this U.S. Navy serviceman to be questionable. Not everyone is the same, even after they’ve been rigorously trained in a fashion specifically meant to put duty and the group above the individual. If you think caring as much as this guy does about Microsoft’s policies with the XBox One would make you into a whiner, that’s your choice, but that doesn’t make him one.

#50 10 months ago
  51. salarta

@45: I doubt Sony PR will jump on this. They may offer a solution, like offering to provide the military with PS4s or something, but they aren’t going to use it to bash Microsoft.

At least, I’d hope they wouldn’t. That would be tasteless exploitation of the military for marketing purposes.

#51 10 months ago
  52. zinc

@49, Way you’re talking, litaracy is not a requirement for Army Rangers.

#52 10 months ago
  53. OwningXylophone

“While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.”

#53 10 months ago
  54. Sylrissa

@52 With the way he’s constantly bringing it up like that, I’m starting to think he’s just hiding behind that, and may not even be really a ranger.

That or he really doesn’t want his brothers and sisters in arms to get any downtime to relax.

#54 10 months ago
  55. manamana

@53 thats it. End of story. Codes will be hacked and made available to all of us. Free the XB1!

#55 10 months ago
  56. ps3fanboy

a good fuck you to microsoft from the usa military… more letters like this please… its a joy to be at vg247 now days, i have just to sit back and read, people are hitting microsoft from left and right, hahaha… did i hear the word ‘trolling’ ???… i don’t think so, i guess the whiners shut up when its their own military that is doing the talking :D

#56 10 months ago
  57. Silberluchs

It’s probably better this way, I mean I wouldn’t want to have military or pro-military customers if I was Microsoft…

#57 10 months ago
  58. GregSolidus

You know,they could just play it when they get back.

#58 10 months ago
  59. melonbuster1

Oh please. .no one cares about your problems. . Don’t serve then. Simple. You want games or a job

#59 10 months ago
  60. salarta

@58: Oh, okay then. If you start, continue or go back to college, I’ll just be taking your favorite video game system off your hands for the whole of each semester. You can play it when you get back.

#60 10 months ago
  61. OwningXylophone

Should they go that route, I can see those codes sneaking out into the wild. That said, if they are going to accommodate the servicemen & women out there I’d expect them to do it with special versions of the console specifically for the military with that particular feature disabled. I only posted that link because I knew I had read somewhere pre-E3 that MS were looking into their options in that area.

#61 10 months ago
  62. zinc

@59, Y’see its that attitude that got MS into this mess.

Go down the street, greeting everyone you meet with that, see how your day goes :)

#62 10 months ago
  63. DSB

@33 Awesome comment

@Steph Surely living in Europe you ran into people with those kinds of views before?

It’s nauseating, but I think the hateful hippies are in the minority at the end of the day.

#63 10 months ago
  64. Sylrissa

@DSB Oh I have no doubt about them being the minority, and I’d love to see some of them saying these things to a serviceman/woman without the safely and anonymity of the internet.

#64 10 months ago
  65. Stephany Nunneley

@63 Of course, and trust me, I have plenty to say about my country and it’s not all sunshine, puppies and roses; however a gaming website isn’t the place for things of that nature. Now, I am off to have some beer. Keep it nice in here and I will see you all tomorrow!

#65 10 months ago
  66. salarta

@65: I make no promises that you will not come back to smashed windows and beer all over the floor. :P

#66 10 months ago
  67. brackster

The greatest sin? It could be worse, Microsoft could send employees to sexually assault servicemen. Oh wait, servicemen do that yearly several thousand times over to other servicemen.

#67 10 months ago
  68. POOP CRUSTY

^ So because a few idiots decide to do that you blame the lot? Get real.

#68 10 months ago
  69. zinc

@67, Yes… but you’d have to be a Gold subscriber :)

#69 10 months ago
  70. Ireland Michael

People responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent men, women and children really have no place preaching about what constitutes a sin.

“Thou shalt not kill.”

Killing people. That’s a sin.

Being unable to play your video game in a inconvenience, and a goddamn insignificant one in comparison.

This statement is either a giant pile of PR bullshit (not likely), or a man completely deluded by his own blind, obsessive patriotism. (most likely)

#70 10 months ago
  71. Eddie Rodrigues

If those men and women work to defend a country and manage to get free time (which is very little and rare in most cases) I believe they deserve to play some videogames without being restricted.

#71 10 months ago
  72. zinc

@70, Fuck off Michael.

Fuck off & take your hysterical hyperbole with you.

#72 10 months ago
  73. Ireland Michael

@72 What hyperbole?

#73 10 months ago
  74. Cobra951

@70: Fuck you.

#74 10 months ago
  75. brackster

If you think just a few idiots contribute to thousands of sexual assaults, think again. Not everyone here is from the US, but we haven’t had to actually protect our freedom since WWII. Soldiers back then would laugh at this guy’s face and tell them to play poker (which they did).

#75 10 months ago
  76. Ireland Michael

I’m sorry. I’m not American. I don’t support American terrorism.

#76 10 months ago
  77. Sylrissa

@70 I generally agree with you across many topics on this site, however here you are just showing your biased hate of the military and I can’t support that, these men and women are protecting their country and your comments were uncalled for.

They deserve to be able to watch tv/ play video games etc in what small amount of free time they get.

@76 Oh and i’m not American either, I just have respect for people putting their lives at risk to project their country

#77 10 months ago
  78. zinc

@73, I think the “millions of deaths” counts as some particularly myopic hysteria chum.

#78 10 months ago
  79. Cobra951

@76: Fuck you again, you ungrateful prick. God, how I hate ignorant trash like you. Tell me that you and your family would have had the will and the power to preserve your easy way of life for the past 70 years, you myopic motherfucker. You don’t have to be American to understand the history of the 20th century. You just have to have a brain in your head.

#79 10 months ago
  80. Silent Killer01

Personally I hope MS releases the Xbox one the way they said they would just so when I switch to PS4 I will have zero buyers remorse.

#80 10 months ago
  81. zinc

@75, Actually they’d probably say:

“Wow, whats that magical goggle box, where i can control the little people?”

#81 10 months ago
  82. Ireland Michael

@78 Nope, it’s a pretty damn accurate figure actually. In all its wars over the past century, America has killed millions of foreigners, the vast majority of which were civilian casualties.

The figures for Iraq alone are astronomical. But what do those people matter? They’re not Americans, right? It doesn’t matter that they have wives, husbands, parents or children. There’s just “collateral damage” in your never ending question for “freedom”.

All that matter is that our wonderful death dealing solders get to play their Ex Bawks games… which not surprisingly are about games death dealing soldiers.

Spare me.

#82 10 months ago
  83. DSB

@70 What a load of sanctimonious bullshit.

#83 10 months ago
  84. Uncontested

Bunch of faggots in this here thread. I find this “jefe” guy hilarious “us army rangers training militias in 3rd world countries don’t have time to play xbox so I’m gonna hate on a Sailor who does.” Right bro. You’re probably some food service POG if you’re even in the Military at all.

I did two deployments to Iraq. Marine Corps Infantry Battalion. There was time for video games. Even if it was only when you ended up at the MWR on one of the larger bases for a few hours, but it was still there. The fuckin SF guys played more video games than anyone and they damn well earned the privilege to do so.

@70 Do the world a favor and go hang yourself you useless little fuckwit.

#84 10 months ago
  85. polygem

wow, guys this behaviour makes me want to hug you…

calm down a little

now let me +1 post # 70

#85 10 months ago
  86. manamana

Sylrissa +1

It’s pretty comfortable sitting at home talking like that, knowing the bombs drop somewhere else in a faraway place, isn’t it?

#86 10 months ago
  87. polygem

@84: a guy with your attitude should never wear a gun. seriously. tame your anger first.

#87 10 months ago
  88. Ireland Michael

@79 I come from Ireland. My country was at civil war until the turn of the century. You were at risk of being killed just by walking down the street in the wrong country, based simply on your religious preferences and where you were born. Businesses and houses were bombed constantly, and many people died in that shit, including people I knew.

Guess where half the weapons came from?

I’ve probably seen more conflict in Belfast in a year than you have in your entire life. Never once did I condone the violence from either side. Never once did I believe a single person lifting a single weapon was ever justified, ever.

America is a fascist, terrorist nation. I’m sorry if you don’t like that fact.

Heroes don’t kill people. They save them.

#88 10 months ago
  89. Uncontested

@87 A guy with your attitude should never wear a gun. seriously. grow a pair of balls first.

#89 10 months ago
  90. DSB

@86 Mass murder has been a favored European spectator sport over the last 20 years though.

Yugoslavia, Rwanda, Syria. Jolly good show!

Seriously, say what you want about the US, they make loads of mistakes, but the willingness of Europe as a whole to simply stand by and watch people be slaughtered, even on our very own continent, is just disgraceful.

#90 10 months ago
  91. polygem

@89: you´re insulting female soldiers! they don´t have balls y´know. genius.

#91 10 months ago
  92. Ireland Michael

@90 When did I ever say I supported those countries?

That doesn’t change the fact that when another country throws a little stone, America picks up a giant fucking boulder and beats them over the head with it until they’re a messy, bloody pulp.

Hitler kills millions of Jews: Genocide
    America drops atomic bombs: Justice

Oh please, don’t act like they’re doing it for the betterment of the people in those countries. That excuses didn’t cut it in Vietnam, and it sure as hell doesn’t cut it now.

#92 10 months ago
  93. zinc

@88, No, Michael your tarring a nation of millions with the same brush. Stop it before you come across as a total prick.

& stop playing the Irish card you cunt. Your devaluing it.

#93 10 months ago
  94. manamana

You are absolutely correct DSB. That’s what the main problem in Europe is considering warzones: they treat them as if they don’t exist, whilst exporting weapons(Heckler&Koch) or vehicles to keep that machinery going.

#94 10 months ago
  95. Ireland Michael

@93 Then don’t play the American patriot card.

American people are great. My issue isn’t with the average citizen. My issue is with any person who willingly lifts a gun, willingly goes to a foreign country, and willingly shoots an *innocent*’ human being in their own homeland.

That’s not defending yourself. That’s being a terrorist.

#95 10 months ago
  96. DSB

@92 You’re comparing firing a laser guided bomb at a specific target with sending millions of unarmed women and children into a gaschamber to be euthanised?

That’s sound reasoning.

It serves no military purpose to kill civilians. If you did any sort of research on the subject you’d learn that every western military involved in Iraq and Afghanistan has had as a major priority to limit civilian casualties.

That’s done at the expense of soldiers who will then have limited access to the weapons that typically cause a lot of civilian casualties, like air support and indirect fire, and who then take higher casualties of their own in order to protect the civilian population as much as possible.

#96 10 months ago
  97. polygem

maybe we should take stephs advice serious now. this is a gaming site. i am not a friend of military actions and i never was. that doesn´t automatically make me a coward by the way. i do not fear my own death. sometimes military actions are necessary but most of the time they aren´t. it´s a business too, let´s face it, a huge business. but i will stop it here. it´s depressing how agressive some of you guys are though. truly depressing.

#97 10 months ago
  98. Ireland Michael

@96 Both resulted in the *intentional* deaths of countless innocent lives, based entirely on what they were, not who they were.

So yes, I’m comparing the two.

The US didn’t even give a fuck until Pearl Harbour. They were more than happen to sit and watch the world born. Millions of Jews? Nada, nothing, squat. A handful of American soldiers? OH NOW IT’S A PROBLEM!

“It serves no military purpose to kill civilians.”

Well it sure as hell doesn’t seem to stop them.

All life is precious. The problem with America is that the only life that seems to matters is an American one… if only to screw more money out of them for the sakes of the never ending pursuit of wealth.

@97 I commented with my opinion on the TOPIC of the news story, which is exactly what the comment section is for. People don’t have to respond to me if they don’t want to.

#98 10 months ago
  99. zinc

@Michael, I’m not American dear boy.

Merely pointing out that portryaing your (adopted) homelands as the *bad guy* because of all the nasty stuff you’ve read about them (Thanks to free media) is a distinctly Western trait.

Obviously the rest of the world is peace, love & equal rights to women & gays.

#99 10 months ago
  100. Brenna Hillier

Reiterating that this is not the place for a political debate. Stop. Take it elsewhere.

#100 10 months ago
  101. Ireland Michael

@99 Much of Europe was bringing in laws to support gay marriage rights well before the US even considered the idea.

I’m just sayin’.

America is where freedom goes to die a slow and painful death.

#101 10 months ago
  102. zinc

@Michael, You’ve never had it so good :)

Put your tired white male guilt to bed & finish your drink!

;)
    You big cunt ya!

#102 10 months ago
  103. Ireland Michael

Ell ooh ell.

#103 10 months ago
  104. DSB

@98 I think you need to look up the word intentional.

And stop being a doe-eyed fool. The only thing that matters to any nation is that nations interests. Soldiers exist to protect and further those interests.

And if they didn’t, then your values and my values would mean absolutely nothing, because much like it is in Africa, the only values that would count, would be those of men who are holding onto guns.

It’s easy enough to sit in a country protected by one or several strong militaries who serve your interests, and yap about the many virtues of pacifism.

#104 10 months ago
  105. zinc

@Brenna, Where? I only know these guys from here!

And why shouldn’t topics blur? You never been in a pub, with guys?

This is what we do!

*Gets Brenna a Stella*

I only drink stella or kronenberg :)

#105 10 months ago
  106. zinc

@104, Those who believe in peace, should prepare for war.’

said someguy.

#106 10 months ago
  107. Ireland Michael

@105 “Soldiers exist to protect and further those interests.”

Of course they do.

@106 “If nobody lifted a finger to anyone, nobody would have any reason to fight.”

Said me.

#107 10 months ago
  108. DSB

Kumba-fucking-ya.

#108 10 months ago
  109. zinc

The sooner women rule the world & stop us guys ruining it, in our endless quest to prove who’s got the biggest dick, the better…

p.s. Mines long, thick & I’ll nuke those who disagree!!

#109 10 months ago
  110. Sylrissa

@101 “Much of Europe was bringing in laws to support gay marriage rights well before the US even considered the idea.”

As an Australian who will be moving to Norway in the future to marry my norwegian girlfriend, thanks to same-sex marriage being legal there, I very much agree with that point.

HOWEVER all the frankly insulting comments you’ve made against people in the military I find quite distasteful and in very poor taste, and disagree with.

#110 10 months ago
  111. Ireland Michael

@110 As is your right to do so. *nods*

#111 10 months ago
  112. Audacityscape

I’m sorry but this is pretty ridiculous. “A sin committed against all service men”? Honestly, is this the sort of hyperbole we’re going to have to deal with for the next 6 months? MS has no responsibility to any particular group to make a product that satisfies them specifically. That’s like poor people getting mad at luxury car companies for making vehicles they can’t afford, or blind people getting mad at touch screen phone companies for making products they can’t use. Where did all this entitlement come from, exactly?

MS is making a product that needs to be connected to the internet. If you don’t have the internet, you can’t use it, and that’s annoying and frustrating, sure, but they certainly didn’t do it to spite you. They don’t owe you anything.

Also you think you’d be more mad about congress messing with veterans benefits or the insane number of homeless vets that don’t get the help they need when they get back from war. You’d think that’d be the greatest sin that you were upset about. Instead, it’s that you can’t play an xbox while you’re bored on a ship. Wow.

#112 10 months ago
  113. DSB

@112 The problem being that Microsoft, being a business, needs customers more than the customers need them. They don’t have a monopoly on videogame consoles, and we certainly don’t owe them anything either.

Even disregarding the awful PR involved with cutting off the armed forces, expecting people to “deal with it” is a disastrous strategy, especially for a company trying to sell anything as a service.

#113 10 months ago
  114. G1GAHURTZ

They’re certainly well within their rights to have such a disastrous strategy if they so choose.

I certainly don’t think anyone will be harmed as a result.

#114 10 months ago
  115. Audacityscape

@113 You’re exactly right. MS needs consumers, and I’d argue that the amount of servicemen and women who buy a video game console is negligible in their overall sales. Why should they change their entire product strategy to cater to this group? To me, this entire “anti-military” thing is a joke. MS isn’t “cutting off” the armed forces, or insulting them or purposefully attacking them. They’re simply making a product that coincidentally, military personnel will have a hard time using. And that’s OK, that’s their right. They didn’t set out saying “ok, what can we do to screw with soldiers?”

And you’re also right that we don’t owe them anything. If you don’t like the XB1, don’t buy it. It’s really as simple as that. For the record, I expect to see some walking back of MS’ restrictions from them in the coming months, but that doesn’t make this whole “MS HATES THE MILITARY” meme any less ridiculous.

#115 10 months ago
  116. stretch215

I bet microsoft will change some of their policies before launch. Not because of this nonsense, but because it’s smart from a business standpoint. Edit: #115 beat me to it

#116 10 months ago
  117. stretch215

I want to call their policies outrageous, but that would make me a hypocrite as I’m most likely grabbing an xbx1 first. I want to see both platforms do well, though. Without competition we will have only stagnation. That’s what I don’t get about these people (basically) praying for the demise of MS.

#117 10 months ago
  118. Ireland Michael

Microsoft has a piece of hardware for people who don’t have access to the Internet.

It’s called the Xbox 360.

#118 10 months ago
  119. G1GAHURTZ

People seem to think that if they make enough noise, MS will suddenly back down, and turn off the 24 hour check in, but I simply don’t think it’s possible.

They are too deeply tied into their new system, and the online checks are an integral part of it.

They have a system, where anyone of up to 10 different people can play one single copy of a game obtained through a single purchase. Anyone can also play any game that they own on any X1, simply by logging in.

If they turn off the 24 hour/1 hour check, that entire system goes down the drain, because all anyone would have to do is sign in to every single one of their friend’s consoles, download every game that they own, then keep those consoles off the internet until all of those games had been finished.

They’d be shooting themselves in the foot.

I don’t see any way for MS to back out of this without dropping key X1 features, and that would have to be one of the worst ways to develop a product, ever.

#119 10 months ago
  120. Ireland Michael

@119 No, they’ll simply buy a PS4 instead.

Giving your games to a friend is not a “feature”, and a check should only be required *once* at most. The complete inability to use a disc on more than one machine without logins is a straight up decision.

Games do not have to rely on Azure. They don’t *need* not be online to function, unless they’re intentionally designed that way.

Christ, you make ps3fanboy come off as a rational fan…

#120 10 months ago
  121. G1GAHURTZ

^ Silence, troll.

#121 10 months ago
  122. redwood

does this mean that the us army is going to attack microsoft now?

#122 10 months ago
  123. OmegaSlayer

Gotta love Microsoft.

#123 10 months ago
  124. Kieran

theres people out there who wont hear a single thing about X1 until their friends buy it lol i see X1 getting a lot of returns never mind bad press

#124 10 months ago
  125. brackster

No, servicemen in WWII would think a video game device as almost meaningless until after the war, considering they were trying to save the world. I liked how one poster wrote soldiers don’t wake up wanting to shoot things, yet Halo is notably mentioned as examples of the games being played. Kind of ironic. Plus you wonder how many of these guys would be made fun if they didn’t play FPS or other more macho games. If Nintendo did this, I wonder how many servicemen would talk about how they couldn’t play Mario. Probably not many, but hey, maybe they’re cool and play all sorts of games, but something tells me I doubt it.

#125 10 months ago
  126. Stephany Nunneley

That is it. I warned everyone yesterday to not turn this article into a political debate, yet Brenna had to step in and warn everyone again.

This thread is locked now.

#126 10 months ago