Nintendo’s anti-used games policy: make games people don’t trade

Thursday, 13th June 2013 23:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If game makers feel used game sales are eating into their profit margins maybe they should think about making games people want to keep, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime reasons.

Speaking to Polygon, Fils-Aime said the used games cycle doesn’t affect Nintendo very much.

“That impacts games that are annualized and candidly also impacts games that are maybe undifferentiated much more than [it] impacts Nintendo content,” he said.

“Why is that? Because the replayability of our content is super strong. The consumer wants to keep playing Mario Kart. The consumer want to keep playing New Super Mario Bros. They want to keep playing Pikmin. So we see that the trade-in frequency on Nintendo content is much less than the industry average – much, much less.

“So for us, we have been able to step back and say that we are not taking any technological means to impact trade-in and we are confident that if we build great content, then the consumer will not want to trade in our games.”

Interestingly, Fils-Aime also said that an anti-used games stance isn’t something he has noticed behind the scenes, which lines up with EA’s protest that it had nothing to do with Microsoft’s increasingly bizarre-seeming licensing system.

“We will see what happens with publishers, but it seems to me that every major publisher has come and said we don’t mind used games,” he said.

Elsewhere in the interview, Fils-Aime reiterated Nintendo’s message that disc-based retail isn’t going anywhere.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. MadFlavour

Someone should carve this into a baseball bat and try to imprint it on Cliffy B’s dopey fucking head.

#1 10 months ago
  2. melonbuster1

Make systems people want and developers support. REGGIE

#2 10 months ago
  3. ps3fanboy

nintendo is making a lot of sense lately, so a buy of the wii-u is on the do list…

#3 10 months ago
  4. L.O.R.D

the people don’t want to play more of of zombieU
    the gamer don’t want to play more of Metroid: Other M , Epic Mickey,Mario Super Sluggers,no ore heroes,Pokemon Battle Revolution….etc

but yah… he is right, this the same what was thinking to prevent selling your games, game must have very high replay value to make you think about selling your games

#4 10 months ago
  5. Sini

Don’t you need to figure out how to make third parties release games on your console first, then how to make customers buy said games, before you have to worry about used games?

#5 10 months ago
  6. zinc

^ Reggies got a point. More people are keeping their GameCube to play Super Smash Bros, than are keeping their Xbox to play Halo.

Hell, i’d bet the trade-in value of Smash Bros, is twice that of Halo!

#6 10 months ago
  7. manamana

What #1 said +100

#7 10 months ago
  8. Francis O

Makes sense.Generic shooters lose value quickly, so a majority of American publisher want to do away with use games so they can push out the same shit all the other companies are doing.

Nintendo’s games are so unique and good, I never want to trade them in.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Phoenixblight

Traded all my nintendo products a few years ago and haven’t looked back. Thankfully I have friends that buy every system under the sun and his wii is typically free for me to play that is how I have played the Wii U games and Skyward Sword.

#9 10 months ago
  10. salarta

If you’re having problems with used games, make games people don’t trade… oh, but don’t let the people that want those games have them, because that would just be silly.

Okay, maybe I’m giving Nintendo of America too much flak since they did… eventually… listen to Operation Rainfall. But it’s still a sore spot for me, because it was really annoying that for a while there, Nintendo of America was essentially saying I wasn’t allowed to play the few games I wanted to play on their console even if other regions got them.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    More generalisations, perfect :D

#11 10 months ago
  12. SlayerGT

Nintendo = what happens when you have no competition. (imo)

#12 10 months ago
  13. zinc

@9, Traded all your Ninty games, no regrets…

Gratefull your mates had a Ninty system you could borrow, so you can play the games you won’t get elsewhere?

Wut?

#13 10 months ago
  14. polygem

exactly. i always crave to play nintendo games again at some point. always. i´ve learned that the hard way. every time i traded a ninty game in i bought it again later…don´t know what it is, let me just use the words nintendo magic please.

seriously, i don´t know what it is but these games are charming and really give you the feeling of true value, i don´t want to let them go and i am not a games collector. there are a few other non ninty games i feel the same about but with the ninty ones it´s different, all of them have that special “pleease keep me” face in the box.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Joe Musashi

It’s a pithy remark and the docile followers will swallow the implicit suggestion quite readily – we already have evidence of that.

But, the fact of the matter is, I’ve seen first party games on second hand shelves from all the console manufacturers. That includes Nintendo. So, whilst the sentiment may be sound, it’s not got the real-world evidence to back it up.

A little less conversation, a little more action, Reggie.

JM

#15 10 months ago
  16. polygem

joe, look at my story…these greedy bastards make you fall in love with their games and when you sell them anyway you will end up buying the same game brandnew again later. happened to me not once, not twice, several times. always nintendo. true story. your second hand game will infect another poor victim too in the meantime. it´s not a trick – it´s a ninty game.

#16 10 months ago
  17. DeVitowned

Nintendo doesn’t always do everything right, but what they have done consistently well is make great games. How else could they continue to make, and sell, the same franchises for 30 years? They take a simple format and still find a way to make it innovative and addicting. That’s where most of these big publishers have got it wrong. They bloat their budgets and focus on flash, but they don’t focus on the core gameplay which is what makes games sell and stay as part of your library. I will never get rid of my Uncharteds, my Metal Gears, my Metroids or my Marios.

While I agree that Queefy B, and quite a few of these ignorant ball lickers who run their mouths quite ignorantly as of late deserve a bat across their faces, I played the hell out of the first Gears of War game. Even Halo, as simple a shooter and cornball as it is, gets the core mechanics down right and sells.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@15 Pithy? Docile?

He’s completely right, whether referring to their own games or someone else’s. If I enjoy a game enough to get long term value out of it… I won’t trade it in. It really is that simple.

#18 10 months ago
  19. zinc

^ Pfft, Joes using “anecdotal” evidence poly & as he’s told us, thats worth squat :)

Some nerd needs to compile a list of game depreciation values of console games, across the platforms …

Not that we should be able to trade them (seeing as we don’t own them), as Joe has informed us, ad nueseam ;)

But, evidence withstanding, i’m betting Ninty games, keepingp their worth.

#19 10 months ago
  20. dreamcastnews

@15 don’t be so stupid, he wasn’t saying ‘nobody has ever traded our games in’ of course people have just people seem to trade in less of Nintendo’s first party stuff, I worked in retail for years and learnt the games always hold their value because hardly anyone trades them in. There you go.

DN

#20 10 months ago
  21. Francis O

@Joe

Go look at how many copies of Mario Galaxy 2 are used compared to COD, Medal of Honor, or Assassin’s Creed.

And I like the fact that you think you know more than Reggie when it comes to their games being traded in more than the competition or not.

He didn’t say none of their games are traded-in. He just said it was “much much less” than the competition. Which is 100% true. That’s why they don’t give a sh*t about the used game market.

Now if you can track me down a reasonably priced copy of Xenoblade that would be nice :)

#21 10 months ago
  22. Ireland Michael

@21 I’ve got one going for about $250 if you want it…

*whistles innocently*

#22 10 months ago
  23. polygem

every time i read a post from joe i imagine an aristocat…no offense joe. if that pisses you off tell me but seriously though, this come to my mind:

#23 10 months ago
  24. dreamcastnews

@23 I envision a samurai sat with the bumper book of the internet code of honour for some reason……Internet samurais, do they even exist?

#24 10 months ago
  25. zinc

^ I always imagine Joe in a smoking jacket & wearing a monocle :)

#25 10 months ago
  26. dreamcastnews

Certainly keeps us captivated.

#26 10 months ago
  27. DeVitowned

@Francis O
    My advice, when a game releases exclusively from a retailer, or in limited edition, jump on it. I bought Xenoblade Chronicles a month before I even got my Wii U, and I had to pay a premium to get Metroid Prime Trilogy! I’m waiting for the price to drop on Pandora’s Tower before I get it, but hope I don’t miss out.

#27 10 months ago
  28. manamana

DeVitowned nailed it.

#28 10 months ago
  29. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    3 games equal the competition? two of which you made clear you hate, you can’t prove your game has been traded in less than the competition that would require intensive tracking in all retail outlets which could be legal or illegal, bottomline no real way of proving that. I could walk in one store i find one copy of the Killzone trilogy versus five copies of Pokemon Black and White, which did actually happen. Proves nothing.

#29 10 months ago
  30. polygem

i actually didn´t want to confess that – ever…but i traded in my metroid prime triology a few months ago for a good but still fair (for the buyer and me) price. it was just there on my shelf and i didn´t play it for a while. i thought, whatever, you´ll get some cash back and someone else will be happy with it. i don´t really collect games. I REGRET IT ALREADY.
    i really was a bad boy current gen. bought tons of stuff new and used and traded lots of stuff in too. my homework for the nextgen is: focus more. keep your shit together.

#30 10 months ago
  31. zinc

@poly, You just broke Samus’s heart…

I hope you can live with that :/

#31 10 months ago
  32. Francis O

@ Legendaryboss

GameStop works supply vs demand system. The more supply they have, the lower the value.

Nintendo games are constantly priced higher than Xbox and PlayStation games because of supply and demand. Look at Assassin’s Creed 3 MSRP compared to Mario Galaxy 2.

MG2 is still full priced will you can find AC3 for as low as 39.99 new. and 34 used.

Mass Effect 3, Army of Two, ect all of those game are years newer than Mario Galaxy or Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword yet both Zelda and Mario cost more than them.

This even happens in the new game market as well. First party game don’t lose their value cause their “evergreen” titles. Meaning they sell over many many years.

Most Nintendo games are not even worth buying used because there price only $5 below the new price

Concerning Pokemon, those game might be traded in, but it’t usually to get the newest one, plus they still hold their new value.

Pokemon Gold on the DS is still full price at GameStop

I think this proves Nintendo’s games hold their value longer, and are traded in less. Otherwise they wouldn’t be priced so high.

#32 10 months ago
  33. zinc

^ Agreed. Nintend 1st party titles could replace pork-belly’s on the stock-market, their prices are so good.

Plus, if Ninty went belly up, these titles would increase in value!

#33 10 months ago
  34. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Gamestop in the US? Is a good source for Global used games, makes sense. I said this applies to all retail outlets as they all support used games not just Gamestop, one region does not dictate trends globally.

#34 10 months ago
  35. Francis O

US is the largest region for video games in the world and Nintendo’s games have universal appeal. Mario sells here, in Europe, and Japan.

I’m fairly confident these trends apply to Europe as well.

#35 10 months ago
  36. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Be that as it may you’re making assumptions on whether trends are applicable worldwide based on the US which is not factual, just because you perceive confidence on something doesn’t make it true.

#36 10 months ago
  37. zinc

^ Well you could just try comparing 3DS game trade-ins to Vita trade-ins.

#37 10 months ago
  38. Lengendaryboss

@Zinc
    That has no relevance to what i said, their games are on Wii, DS, 3DS and Wii U and their competition are publishers of games which spans on Sony, Nintendo and MS platforms, thats what they were comparing it to. Besides they are being vague what competition? games on various platforms or games on hardware rivals.

#38 10 months ago
  39. machy

he made some strong point ans I can relate to that I guess

#39 10 months ago
  40. The_Red

After lunatic rant from Cliffy, it’s nice to see a man like Reggie talk liek a human. Still not a Wii U fan but my body is definitely ready to get Bayonetta 2 AND keep it for good.

#40 10 months ago
  41. Joe Musashi

@19 And my point is proved. You don’t get to decide what the genuine owners of the games permit you to do, they do. Just because what Nintendo allow you to do happens to suit your preferences don’t assume it’s a result of any power of yours. They still control the content, not you. It’s their choice, not yours.

And, when a spokesman make a bold, universal claim in the way Reggie has – you, me or anyone that sees evidence to the contrary sees just how relevant that claim is in the real world. The anecdotal nature of that evidence doesn’t change that. The error is in making such fatuous claim in the first place.

JM

#41 10 months ago
  42. Ireland Michael

@41 Its all anecdotal in the end, honestly.

My own personal experience is that yes, Nintendo games do tend to have a lot more replayability. I find myself enjoying on the couch multiplayer with people I know and Nintendo titles long after most of my Triple A stuff has run its relatively short (but still enjoyable course).

Unless we have numbers to back up our claims, this is all based on our own personal experiences. That’s as much true for you as it is for us.

One thing I’ve always wonder is… do Nintendo games seem to keep their retail prices high for so long because of the demand for them, or because of a deliberate pricing strategy by Nintendo? I’m genuinely curious if anyone has any information regarding this.

#42 10 months ago
  43. Dave Cook

As someone who has had little luck tracking down copies of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow / Ecclesia, DK Country Returns, Phoenix Wright 2&3, Kirby Squeak Squad / Canvas Curse, and more Ninty games in trade in shops over the years. I may have to agree from a strictly personal experience perspective.

#43 10 months ago
  44. Dave Cook

Also my copies of Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Smash Bros Brawl / Melee, Pikmin 1 & 2, Eternal Darkness, Madworld, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Killer7, Wind Waker and more arent being traded in. Ever. They’d be too hard to get again at a reasonable price.

And yes I bought them all before I was able to get review code from Ninty. Actual money folks.

#44 10 months ago
  45. Ireland Michael

@43 If you’re still looking for some or those, I could probably be convinced to part with them… for large brawn bags full of dollar bills.

Either way, I applaud your impeccable taste. That is a fine list of superb titles.

#45 10 months ago
  46. mistermogul

I must admit if I ever do trade a game in it’s never my Nintendo ones. Reggie may have a point here…

#46 10 months ago
  47. Strato

I would never ever trade my Metroid Prime Trilogy.

#47 10 months ago