Metal Gear Solid 5 trailer analysis: the loop closer?

Thursday, 13th June 2013 11:05 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain received a rather lovely trailer during Microsoft’s Xbox One conference. VG247′s Dave Cook runs his comb through it for secrets.

In true Hideo Kojima fashion, the latest Metal Gear Solid 5 trailer was awash with secret and nods to where things might be going in the latest chapter in Snake’s life. While Ground Zeroes takes place in 1975, The Phantom Pain picks up again in 1984 after Big Boss awakens from his well-documented coma.

The first Metal Gear on MSX is set in 1995, so it’s not a big step to say that Metal Gear 5 may be the game that finally closes the loop on the whole series. Just imagine seeing Big Boss turning from legendary solider to notorious villain and then a next-gen Solid Snake travelling to Outer Heaven to take him down.

Sorry, I just passed out there for a few seconds. Anyway, no more dicking about from me; let’s go through the Metal Gear Solid 5 trailer and run-down the interesting things therein.

Oh, and if you haven’t seen it yet, here it is:

0:13 Kaz swears revenge on the Patriots.

Here’s Kaz Miller after being rescued from Afghanistan by Snake saying, “We pull in money, recruits, just to combat Cipher”. Now, you may remember that after the events of Metal Gear Solid 3, Zero, Dr. Clark, Big Boss and Donald Anderson formed The Patriot’s – AKA Cipher.

Shortly after Snake (then Big Boss) defected from the group as it started dabbling in Genome soldiers following Zero’s misinterpretation of The Boss’s dying will at the end of Metal Gear Solid 3. By the time Metal Gear Solid 5 rolls around, The Patriots’ hold on the world is spreading, and both Snake and Kaz want to take the group down.

0:28 Those damn lines again.

This weird lens flare effect has been seen in every Metal Gear Solid 5 trailer so far. What the effing hell are they? Knowing Kojima, they’re symbolic of something. Perhaps they’re symbolic of the mind control tapes being used on child soldiers in the Ground Zeroes trailer?

0:41 Quiet being tortured

This scene shows new character Quiet being tortured with electric shocks. Note her outfit and the tears on her trousers. The whole scene smacks of when EVA is tortured in Metal Gear Solid 3 by electric shocks, causing her tights to rip apart. There’s a sense of deja vu surrounding this scene.

0:55 Child soldiers in Africa, a nod to Raiden’s eventual indoctrination?

MGS 2 star Raiden was raised as a child soldier in 1989, and he fought in the Liberian War. Liberia can be found in West Africa, so it’s possible that these scenes show the start of the same regime that eventually trained Raiden into a cold-blooded killing machine. Obviously Raiden is too young to appear in the game at this point, but it could be the same group involved.

1:14 “You feel it too, don’t you?”

Kaz and Snake were both seen lying in hospital at the start of the Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain trailer from GDC, so they’ve both suffered wounds. This monologue is Kaz talking to Snake about the phantom pain effect of their missing body parts.

2:12 Indoctrination

Here’s Snake and his mates pulling a device out of a young girl – confirmed to be Paz’s – chest. Her head has been shaved and you can see Chico standing by the table, helping to hold her organs in as Snake and his team pull the object from her chest.

It has a peace symbol on it, and appears to be the same thing Chico was plugging headphones into during the Ground Zeroes trailer. Why were Paz and Chico being indoctrinated?

2:23 Emmerich

Here’s Ocelot torturing Emmerich for some reason. Note that he has the same robotic legs that he has at the end of the trailer. The question is, why is he being interrogated in the first place.

2:41 Kaz is cleaned up

There’s a less-haggered-looking Kaz wearing a Diamond Dogs beret. He’s clearly out for revenge after his imprisonment in Afghanistan, and doesn’t seem to be taking any prisoners. This is not a young Roy Campbell, as Kojima himself has since debunked this theory.

3:03 The birth of Diamond Dogs and Outer Heaven

Ocelot tells Snake that it’s not just ‘them’ who want the legendary soldier dead. ‘Them’ is likely in reference to the Patriots / Cipher. He also tells Snake that he’ll have to team with with Kaz and form his personal army of mercenaries again, except this time it’ll be called Diamond Dogs instead of Militaires Sans Frontières. Either way the seeds of the Outer Heaven uprising are being sown right here.

3:55 OH MAI GERD ITS OPEN WUURLD YOU GUYZ!!1

Sorry, I just wanted to express how lovely this is.

06:41 Quiet

I skipped a ton of gameplay as no doubt you’ve seen it already and it doesn’t hold any real secrets. Anyway here’s Quiet a sniper who may well be the woman getting tortured earlier in the trailer. Either way she’s a new character and it’s not yet clear if she’s friend or foe.

06:46 Eli

Eli’s a child who has lost his future, suggesting he is another child soldier. The internet is currently speculating that this is actually a young Liquid Snake, so the red motifs on both Ocelot and Eli could signify their future bond throughout the series, plus there’s a snake on his lap.

06:50 Who the hell ARE you?

This guy remains a mystery, although given his disfigurement he may be the guy with the bandaged head in the first Phantom Pain trailer. The timelines don’t stack up though as he was disfigured in the Ground Zeroes clip, which is set before the hospital break-out in The Phantom Pain. Either way this guy is leading the XOF force and seems to have it in for Snake.

06:58 Emmerich can walk now

Note the robot legs and cheers of happiness. Well played man, well played. I also have no idea who the following guy, Code Talker is, but it has been suggested that research into Emmerich’s robo-legs also gives birth to the bipedal nature of the Metal Gear walker seen at the end of the trailer. Could he give birth to the Metal Gear menace that dogs the series?

07:09 A bird? A plane?

Look closely, these people literally jump into the air and fly off here. You seen them landing a few seconds later and they appear to be jumpsuit troopers. Who could they be? XOF forces?

7:13 Young Psycho Mantis?

Mantis is a really popular character. Maybe we can see the mind-melding freak’s origin story play out in Metal Gear Solid 5?

07:45 Is Snake killing Chico from the Ground Zeroes trailer?

Maybe Snake isn’t rescuing Chico for selfless reasons at all? Maybe he has sensitive information inside that thing in his chest that Snake needs? Perhaps he’s just knocking him out to make their escape easier?

In the Ground Zeroes trailer Skull Face asks Chico how it feels to play traitor, so it is possible that Snake is trying to kill him as some kind of payback, but that wouldn’t fit with him standing next to Paz as she undergoes surgery. While Kojima did say that the game crosses many taboos, in the world of gaming kid-killing is a big no-no.

07:50 Snake and Kaz talk business

There’s Snake and Kaz working together under the Diamond Dogs banner. Could we see the group forming the new Outer Heaven in Metal Gear Solid 5? Getting excited yet? We then see the fall of Peace Walker’s Outer Heaven, a bunch of caged children showing diamonds to Snake and more.

9:07 Metal Gear, huh?

If you know your Metal Gear timeline then this last shot should get you very excited indeed. Kaz states that Cipher is working on new Metal Gear research in Africa, and that it’s the ‘missing piece’. The original Metal Gear game on MSX is set in the new Outer Heaven, which is located in Galzburg, South Africa.

It’s there in 1995 that Big Boss goes rogue, steals Metal Gear and stages an uprising, prompting FOXHOUND to send in his son Solid Snake to find and kill him. This could be the point that the series loop closes and the full story of Metal Gear Solid becomes complete.

Now, how exciting is that prospect?

1. Lengendaryboss

At 6:41 Quiet could just be a codename something tells me she is Sniper Wolf. Good comb through Dave.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

It’s not Campbell, it’s Kaz. There was no arm in the trailer.

Indoctrination – That is not a boy. She is a girl and a lot of fans says that she is Paz from Peace Walker + the other side of the bomb has Peace sign on it.

EVA? – Nope. She is Quiet and she was tortured at some point and recieved that nickname because she probably does not have a tongue anymore.

#2 1 year ago
  3. POOP CRUSTY

That’s Quiet being tortured. Notice the same pants. As for Cambell. I think That’s Kaz.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@2 How do you know that it’s concretely a girl?

#4 1 year ago
  5. grizzlycake

She has boobs.

Btw, you should add that almost everyone thinks Eli is a young Liquid.

#5 1 year ago
  6. POOP CRUSTY

Oh and that guy being tortured at 2:23 is Emmerich I believe. Same shirt and you can almost make out his robotic legs.

#6 1 year ago
  7. grizzlycake

Indeed. And it has everything to do with his legs. Metal Gear legs anyone?

#7 1 year ago
  8. atlans89

Dave, I disagree with Raiden’s fact. It’s Solidus who found Raiden, yet at this time, Solidus is merely a child nonetheless.

EDIT: the child from Ground Zeroes is indeed Chico from Peace Walker.
    And I heard that the young one who had some device pulled out is Paz.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@3 & 6 ooh nice, adding in now :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

@8 I didn’t say Snake rescues Raiden though :) I just meant that this could be the start of the indoctrination towards the Liberian War.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Erthazus

Yeah. Eli is Liquid 90%

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

@Erthazus
    So we have Liquid but the recessive twin is missing ATM.

#12 1 year ago
  13. atlans89

@11 Hard to say. But I think it’s possibility. Given the fact Liquid speaks Arabian almost like a native, beside Kojima might just adjust the story to fit the plot.

Look back at Master Miller in MGS1 illustration, he doesn’t lose limb.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dave Cook

@11 added in you guys, cheers for the tips, it’s amazing what you can see when you get many people looking at Kojima’s trailers :D

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

Oh bet Kojima is trolling us with those codenames.

#15 1 year ago
  16. hives

Why the hell everyone thinks that guy in torture scene is Campbell? :P It’s Kaz, it’s the same guy, just cleaned up and suited up :P

It’s definitely NOT Campbell, Kojima said that – http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/13/hideo-kojima-says-this-isn-39-t-colonel-campbell.aspx.

#16 1 year ago
  17. tezzer1985

@Dave, I think the kid with the blonde hair is Liquid, I can bet you, that Big Boss children will feature, as they would have been young kids during this time.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ristas

I am very, very sure that who you think is Campell is actually Zero.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Knight Of Justice

I do agree with him
    Quit got boobs and her pants’ color is somehow like olive
    and the name Quiet doesn’t mean she can’t speak
    I bet it refers to her way of killing enemies
    And about those lines in trailer,think they are bar code or something like that.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hcw87

So is this a prequel? Can i play this without having played any previous MGS game? I’m thinking not, which is a shame.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@10 – Raiden isn’t old enough to be one of the child soldiers in this. If we’re being generous and saying that he was born in 1980, that would still make him 27 years old in MGS2. Do you think Raiden was really that old then and do those kids look like they go as young as 4? I may be wrong on this, but I recall hearing that the age they started training them at was around 7. Considering there were civil wars in Liberia from 1980 until 2005, there a lot of time to have him there.

Liquid and Solid were both born in 1973, since the project started in 1972, so that would make Eli the perfect age to be Liquid.

As many have said above, the person they are pulling the package out of has breasts.

As for the person being tortured, it is either Quiet or maybe it’s one of the females from Peace Walker, since they do seem to have turned on the rest of the cast of that game.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dave Cook

@13 Yeah but again as I said in another comment, I’m not saying that Raiden will be in the game. I’m saying that these child soldiers might be the start of the programme of indoctrinating kids in Africa.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Clupula

@1 – Quiet can’t be Sniper Wolf unless she was in her late 30′s, mid 40′s in MGS1.

There is speculation that Quiet is her mother, but unless the game takes place in the Kurdish region of Iraq, then that wouldn’t be the case either.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Clupula

@20 – If you have a PS3, get the Legacy Collection in July. It has every game in the series except for Portable Ops. You’ll be completely versed in everything if you play them in order.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Dave Cook

EDITED: change the bit about the boy to being a girl. I didn’t see the breasts before. Good spot folks.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Clupula

@22 – Child soldiers being used in Liberia is not something invented by the Metal Gear games. In real life, it had been going on since around 1980 there, possibly in the 70′s in some other countries in the region. In fact, by 2004, over half of the world’s child soldiers were in Africa.

#26 1 year ago
  27. GwynbleiddiuM

some good stuff is also going on in their podcast: https://soundcloud.com/konami/kp-alert-episode-3

#27 1 year ago
  28. Dave Cook

@26 Yeah man. It seems that Kojima will be using this as a key theme in MGS5, very interesting indeed. Also love the way he riffs on real-world events in his games.

#28 1 year ago
  29. MadFingerz

@25 The hips were a give away too :p And the boy is actually there holding her guts (freeze @2:02).

Oh and yeah, Eli looks 11-12, so about as old as Liquid should be during this period.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Dave Cook

@29 “And the boy is actually there holding her guts”

Jesus man, I need my eyes tested, clearly :P

Thanks.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Clupula

@28 – Yeah, Kojima always has done that. It’s one of the things I love about the games. I actually managed to get one of my friends who is a big conspiracy theory nut into the series by showing her the whole part in 2 where the Patriots explain about manipulating media and controlling information.

I also remember reading an interview with Kojima where he said that people kept asking him how he came up with the concept of PMC’s only to have to explain to them that he didn’t come up with those. They’re real life entities being used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

#31 1 year ago
  32. CyberMarco

Damn, I have to catch up with the MGS4, I’ve played all the other games though.

Hey Dave, do you know if the MGS:Legacy Collection will be released in Europe? Thanks!

Also, can’t wait for the freaking game, oh you Hideo!

#32 1 year ago
  33. Clupula

“In the Middle East, we don’t hunt foxes, we hunt jackals! Instead of foxhounds we use royal harriers!”

-Liquid Snake

#33 1 year ago
  34. Dave Cook

@32 I hope it is released here man. No date though :(

#34 1 year ago
  35. Dimaco

OMG this takes the phrase “I can’t freaking wait” to a whole new level!! Thanks guys for all the deep analysis!

#35 1 year ago
  36. CyberMarco

I was thinking what if Solid Snake will make an appearance too in the game, like possibly Liquid, and Hayter will be voicing the younger self, but still his voice would be a bit out of place due to being too “heavy” for a kid-teen.

I still can’t tell whose talking without David Hayter… :/

Also Dave, could you email Kojima/Konami for more info?

#36 1 year ago
  37. grizzlycake

Quiet’s eyeshadow (for better sniping) dissapears when they zoom in on her. Kinda the same as with The End, leading me to believe she is his granddaughter (note his parrot refers to the End as grandpa).

I love speculating on MGS games!

We don’t know at what year the Phantom Pain will end. For all we know it ends in 1995, where Snake would be old enough to be voiced by Hayter again ;)

#37 1 year ago
  38. Dave Cook

@37 that’s my theory too, that Hayter will play a young Solid Snake. They cast Sutherland to differentiate between them.

If MGS 5 ends in Outer Heaven in 1995 I will literally shit myself where I sit.

#38 1 year ago
  39. CyberMarco

Yeah, maybe Kojima wants to remake/recreate Metal Gear 1 and 2…

Oh please!!! :D

#39 1 year ago
  40. Clupula

It wouldn’t surprise me if the dialogue at the end of the credits that is always in every Metal Gear game is a spoken version of the first codec conversation between Big Boss and Snake from MG1, with David Hayter doing the voice of Solid Snake.

#40 1 year ago
  41. ag2297

Good analysis Dave but I think there may be a bit incorrect or some things to add (not criticising just trying to be helpful).

1. Are you sure that’s Snake doing the speech at the beginning? Sounds like Kaz to me, especially the fact that he says he can still feel his leg and his arm (Phantom Pain style) and we see Kaz missing both his foot and arm in the trailer. Snake never loses a leg/foot as far as I know.

2. The Code Talker is described as a “Wiseman”. This makes me think he is probably a surviving member of The Wiseman’s Committee which could have some influence on the story like it did in MGS3.

3. The person Snake is choking is Chico, not the same person as the girl who gets cut open. You can see a clip of Chico in his cell wearing the same clothes and it’s Chico who plugged the device into his chest, not the girl.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Clupula

@39 – Well, then I am glad we won’t be playing in the same room.

#42 1 year ago
  43. deathm00n

I’ve only played 3 and I loved it. Read a lot of the wikia, and I’m just waiting Legacy Collection to be released so I can play all of them and wait for 5

#43 1 year ago
  44. Clupula

@44 – Well, that’s because MGS3 is the single greatest game ever made.

Also, have to say I am actually very jealous that you have the opportunity to play them all in chronological order.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Dave Cook

@42 Thanks, I’ll have a look again and update were needed :D

#45 1 year ago
  46. Dimaco

@42 yup, I also thought it’s Kaz talking (K.S. voice acting makes it kinda tricky to tell who’s saying what)… as for the matter of Solid Snake coming up at some point, if Ely really is Liquid, it totally makes sense he’ll be back, too… end of the game you say? That would blow my mind!
    Don’t you just love the amount of speculation you can make with Kojima’s games trailers? Kinda make other games look silly/dull in comparison, doesn’t it?! :-)

#46 1 year ago
  47. CyberMarco

Yeah, I feel games like Metal Gear can’t be compared with other games. MGS is a game itself, it can’t be categorized with banal tags like stealth/action. For me it’s just Metal Gear and no game is up to its league. Same as Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

#47 1 year ago
  48. red_shuffler

I think the “girl ” at 07:45 is a boy and I also think it is Solid Snake. I noticed that during this scene, the title of the song playing, “Sins of the Father” comes up. That seems like a weird place to put the name as the song isn’t over yet.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Clupula

@49 – Wrong. Snake didn’t grow up in either the Middle East or Africa. Grew up in the States, if I recall correctly. Had a somewhat normal childhood.

Not to mention Liquid is Big Boss’ son, as well.

And no, that’s Chico from Peace Walker.

#49 1 year ago
  50. salarta

I doubt Quiet is Sniper Wolf. I can see why some people might think that, but I don’t see much to her other than using a sniper rifle to suggest that. That, and the Metal Gear wikia says she was born circa 1980. If that’s accurate, Sniper Wolf wouldn’t have been born yet for Ground Zeroes, and would have been only 4 years old by the time of MGS5.

Skull Face reminds me of the buzz around the Beauty and the Beast Corps of MGS4 in the internet. Before it was discovered that they had PTSD and it was left at that, a lot of people were theorizing things like Crying Wolf being a quadruple amputee.

I thought at one point during the XBox conference reveal that I saw little girl Naomi in a clip, and I’m fully expecting her to show up in either Ground Zeroes or MGS5. But when I watched the extended cut, the part where I thought I saw Naomi, looks like it’s not her after all.

I like how Kojima is doing these games. He’s taking characters that appeared to be villains and presenting what they do as not being quite as villainous in what they really want as it first appeared.

#50 1 year ago
  51. CyberMarco

Also I think that at 2:01 the boy in the left is Chico…

I think Solid Snake didn’t meet Big Boss (or knew I’m not sure for this) until Metal Gear 1 game, and I think he learned about that he was his son not until Metal Gear Solid 1…

So the girl with the bomb in her belly is Paz?

#51 1 year ago
  52. Dave Cook

Thanks to more reader input I’ve updated this article again, keep the clues coming guys, this is an ace piece of collaboration we’ve got here :)

Also, Konami retweeted this article on its official feed in response to the reaction its been getting. It’s always nice to see our readers chatting like this.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Clupula

@53 – Do you have a link to the tweet?

#53 1 year ago
  54. Dave Cook

@54 https://twitter.com/KonamiUK/status/345170292647292928 – they tend to tweet anything that gets gamers chatting.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Clupula

I just noticed in the article, you were questioning why Paz would be captured.

What was the last boss you fought in Peace Walker? Because if you fought the true last one, it would make perfect sense. Not sure if I should spoil it here, even if the game has been out for year now, but there were a bunch of epilogue missions after you beat the game the first time, and then ANOTHER last boss.

#55 1 year ago
  56. grizzlycake

@Dave

I got the same feeling in Deus Ex: HR when at the end (SPOILERS!) you hear: Call me…Bob. That was an amazing feeling for me. And if they’d pull an Operation Intrude n313 commencing at the end of this game… my gawd, I’d squeel like a pig.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Clupula

Wait a minute. Something just occurred to me. There’s someone else the blond having the unanesthetized surgery could be, besides Paz: Strangelove.

I mean, if they are already interrogating Emmerich and Chico, why not their other allies from Peace Walker, as well? Plus, it does take a while before she joins your side, so that might put her right in the line of suspicion when they’re betrayed.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Knight Of Justice

I bet the woman who is being tortured is not Quiet.
    And Big Boss is trying to kill the young boy- perhaps Chico- because he sold Big Boss out to Skull Face.
    Remember the dialogue in MGS:GZ:”How’s it like to play the traitor?”

#58 1 year ago
  59. Dave Cook

@59 Boom, I think you’ve nailed it sir.

#59 1 year ago
  60. GregSolidus

Good to see most of the errors are gone.
    0:41 Quiet’s leggings were torn pre-torture, as seen in the trailer.

1:14 That’s Robin Atkin Downes, Kaz’s voice actor, talking. The significance of the quoted line is Kaz asking (rhetorically) if Big Boss shares similar feelings about his lost limb and lost comrades,a Phantom Pain if you will.

2:23 The robot legs give it away as Huey.

7:09 It’s hard to tell given the artefacting when you pause the video but if you’re lucky you can see the sheer unnaturalness of their features with their milky eyes and equipment like tubes that seem permanently graphed to their bodies. Given how they don’t seem friendly one could deduce they are the XOF equivalent of Arsenal Tengus and Haven Troopers.Augmented shock troops who would tie into the developments that bring about Cyborg Ninja and to a lesser known extent Black Ninja from Metal Gear 2.

7:13 The birth of FOXHOUND came and went with Portable Ops, Roy Campbell is serving as commander ever since Big Boss left it in 1972.

7:45 The timing of this scene is deceptive. While it remains to be seen what Big Boss is doing exactly (some say he’s applying pressure to a wound,some say it’s a CQC hug) it happens BEFORE the scene where we see Chico frantically holding Paz’s guts in given Big Boss has seemingly extracted them both per his objective in the Ground Zeroes trailer since they both still wear their detainee uniforms.In short, Chico lives…For now.

#60 1 year ago
  61. grizzlycake

If she is Strangelove, it would add another dimension to Emmerich being tortured, seeing as he loves her.

If they’d torture and/or kill her, Emmerich wouldn’t be so glad to help Snake and the Diamond Dogs would he?

#61 1 year ago
  62. Knight Of Justice

And another thing,
    The guy who is speaking in 1:14 is Kaz
    Because he says something like:”Every night I can feel my leg,my arm,the body I’ve lost”

#62 1 year ago
  63. Dave Cook

@63 correct, I’ve edited that too.

#63 1 year ago
  64. Dave Cook

@61 Yeah it definitely is Kaz for sure. Can we be sure that the Quiet torture scene is before or after her title scene though?

#64 1 year ago
  65. GregSolidus

Would she wear burnt leggings after being tortured?

#65 1 year ago
  66. Dave Cook

@66 Perhaps the scene later in the trailer takes place just after she escapes?

#66 1 year ago
  67. redwood

everything was ACE.. until they showed a girl in a leather bikini.. running around in “afghanistan” …. why kojima! why!!!!!

#67 1 year ago
  68. GregSolidus

Possible.I yield the point.

#68 1 year ago
  69. Dave Cook

@69 That’s OK, there’s no arguing here, I’m actually loving all this discussion. It’s a good series to speculate about that’s for sure :)

#69 1 year ago
  70. YoungZer0

Diamond Dogs because they use diamonds to fund their private army? I think Dogs of War was another name for Mercenaries back in the 80 or so. O:

#70 1 year ago
  71. liquidocelot1984

They could be torturing Huey to get him to help them design/make a weapon. The Emmerich men always make weapons then regret making them. Given their history, Huey could refuse to help at first, with weapon making. But with Kaz’s thirst for revenge this may not go over so well with the new Diamond Dogs regime so hence, Ocelot tosses a bucket of water on the masked Huey.

On a side note, I’m excited to see more Ocelot, especially since they show him getting into his penchant for torture

#71 1 year ago
  72. salarta

Yeah, I can almost believe a female character showing off her boobs in a bikini if she went to the charm schools to use her sex appeal as a major weapon, seeing as how EVA does it and even The Boss has a history with those schools. But a sniper, in Afghanistan? A woman wearing a bikini in the desert is pretty unrealistic in terms of biology. Anyone that knows much about dealing with excessive heat knows that there’s a point at which wearing a shirt is better than not wearing one, and Afghanistan would be it.

Anyway, I like the bits about Volgin and the like. It seems pretty obvious that the idea of cloning is picking up steam at this point, with a clone of Volgin being among them.

#72 1 year ago
  73. YoungZer0

@73: “A woman wearing a bikini in the desert is pretty unrealistic in terms of biology. Anyone that knows much about dealing with excessive heat knows that there’s a point at which wearing a shirt is better than not wearing one, and Afghanistan would be it.”

It’s called Fanservice and Japanese Videogames are full of it.

#73 1 year ago
  74. kaysdad

- It looks to me more like Snake is trying to put pressure on a wound that Chico has suffered.

- Toward the end of the trailer during the scene where the child soldiers hold out their diamonds, that’s either Jon Voight or the greatest Jon Voight impersonator out there.

- I am on the Dissociative Identity Disorder ala ‘Fight Club’ bandwagon. Big Boss never “went evil”, his psyche created another personality that did, via Ishmael. There’s only one reason I can think of that Kiefer would voice Ishamel as well as Big Boss. So Ishmael is Big Boss. Ishamel is going to be an important character. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a playable character for a good portion of the game. Moby Dick is told through Ishmael’s eyes anyway. But I’m not as good with the MGS canon as a lot of you guys are.

#74 1 year ago
  75. Knight Of Justice

Any speculations about those horn-like things on Big Boss’ head?
    Bet they’re implants to make his face more scary :D

#75 1 year ago
  76. Dave Cook

@76 they could be something to heal his fractured skull, and the horn shape will likely be symbolic of Snake becoming a ‘demon’ – metaphorically speaking of course, not a literal demon :P

It seems to be a running theme. Maybe that’s where the ‘Ogre’ in project ogre came from?

#76 1 year ago
  77. Ireland Michael

Kudos to this franchise. As utterly ridiculous, badly written and completely pompous as it might be, it sure is fun as hell to pick its story apart and put all the craziness together.

Young Psycho Mantis and I will be all over this like nobody’s business.

#77 1 year ago
  78. Knight Of Justice

But something doesn’t make sense,
    how did Big Boss escape the hospital?
    Because in the last scene of the first Phantom Pain trailer a soldier was pointing his gun on Snake’s face.

#78 1 year ago
  79. Joe Musashi

Nanomachines.

JM

#79 1 year ago
  80. Ireland Michael

@89 A nano machine did it!

#80 1 year ago
  81. salarta

Okay, I don’t know if anyone else said these already, I’m too lazy right now to actually read through all the comments but I did glance at some earlier before my previous comments.

In the scene of the woman in the bikini top being tortured, it’s definitely Quiet and nobody else. There was some speculation that it could actually be Eva, but that woman and Quiet both wear that long black leather glove on the right arm.

The lines that we see while the guy is cranking electricity for the torture prods go with the electricity; you see lines flicker on the screen again when the rods are pressed against Quiet’s chest. Though, I realize now that the kind we see during the cranking is different from the kind when Quiet’s being shocked. It’s also pretty notable that whereas that’s yellow, the same SORT of flare occurs when water’s splashed on Emmerich while he’s being tortured. Before that, there’s a sort of flash on the peace symbol of the object removed from the girl.

So, yeah. The lines and flares mean something, especially with Ocelot there for Quiet and Emmerich’s tortures.

At about 7:50, I see more flares/lines when Snake kills a soldier and when there’s a firefight near helicopters. Oh, and a little bit of flare when the kids back away at 8:14. Last time I see it is when Snake gets on that robot at about 8:59. For a bit, I thought maybe the flares could mean death or nearly dying, but they happen all over the place in the trailer. Guy in bandana may be Snake or a side of him, because it seems to happen when Snake is there or might be there in all the other cases.

On that note, when certain characters are named, they get a line of shimmer coming down while others don’t. Characters that get that effect on their names: Eli, Skull Face, Code Talker. Characters that do not: Miller, Quiet, Emmerich, Ocelot, Those who don’t exist, Punished Snake.

Just realized that the flare is blue for Emmerich and yellow for Quiet, but I’m pretty sure all other cases are white.

#81 1 year ago
  82. grizzlycake

#82 1 year ago
  83. YoungZer0

@76, 77: Quote from Hideo:

“He actually has some debris embedded into his skull. Debris and bone, as well.”

#83 1 year ago