Final Fantasy 15′s action gameplay doesn’t mean end of command-based combat, says Square

Thursday, 13th June 2013 12:28 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 15′s debut gameplay trailer may have shown off a ton of realtime combat full of sword combat and acrobatic madness, but it doesn’t mean Square-Enix is moving away from command-based combat altogether, brand director Shinji Hashimoto has said.

If you missed the Final Fantasy 15 combat trailer you can watch it again here.

Speaking with OXM, Hashimoto said, “As you are aware, Final Fantasy series has different mechanics in each title.

“Each time the development team for that title review the appropriate game system, and for Final Fantasy XV we have the action-packed system, but that does not mean the next game will be similar. We’re very looking forward to feedback from the fans on how they like the action packed gameplay.

“I believe that there’s future for both action based RPG and command based RPG. It’s not that we aren’t thinking about the future of command based Final Fantasy, but we think that the action based combat fits Versus XV.”

To Square’s team, real-time combat just seemed to fit Final Fantasy 15′s world and style. Hashimoto added, “Action-based RPG fits Final Fantasy XV and that is why we chose to do it like this. I want a game that is easy to play and therefore I asked the development team to be flexible with the difficulty, and I want to make sure that fans are not disappointed.

“I want you to understand that the Final Fantasy is always evolving, and always challenging, and this is a positive change we made for Final Fantasy XV.”

What did you make of the Final Fantasy 15 combat reveal? Let us know below.

1. silkvg247

I am still wonderfully confused as to whether it’s an RPG or a beat em up (ala other versus games).

I’m also confused as to why they’d take a huge shit on the fans that bought every single RPG to get them this far, by releasing a non-rpg into the series.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Froseidon

@2 To be fair, I think this combat system looks really refreshing, but I’d say that’s because I haven’t played the Versus games.

#2 10 months ago
  3. silkvg247

So, is it an RPG? :p

#3 10 months ago
  4. silkvg247

Nevermind, read up and it sounds like an RPG so might give it a shot.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Gheritt White

Action-RPG. To be honest, this is the first FF game to have grabbed my attention since VII and VIII.

#5 10 months ago
  6. freedoms_stain

Just from the video linked in the article I’m slightly confused as to what was going on, but definitely intrigued.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

It looks like its basically going to be Final Kingdom Hearts Fantasy, Silk.

#7 10 months ago
  8. salarta

While I still prefer the command-based combat approach, I’m open to action gameplay, particularly since the battle system isn’t the most important part of a Final Fantasy game. It’s important, sure, but story, atmosphere, themes and concepts trump gameplay for importance.

The gameplay itself looks like it’ll be enjoyable anyway.

#8 10 months ago
  9. hitnrun

Good. Final Fantasy is a reeking pustule on a tortured body chained by nostalgia to a hideous dungeon floor. Shine some sunlight on that mother.

@1: No offense, but it’s probably because they are (mathematically, by your definition) an increasingly shrinking core of people and these Japanese AAA RPGs are increasingly expensive CGI-fests.

#9 10 months ago
  10. silkvg247

@7 lol. Might be good then.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Gnosis

@7 Isn’t it what they said right from the beginning? And I mean the beginning beginning at the E3 2005 or something. They said that it’s developed by the KH team and is going to have a very similar battle system. I got no idea why everyone’s surprised all of a sudden.

#11 10 months ago
  12. silkvg247

@11 Because I was so let down by XIII I haven’t been paying a blind bit of attention, tbh. Used to be a massive fan though.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Stardog

@9 By replacing the system with an even older style system of button mashing? Yeah, that’s sunlight alright.

The game was in development hell, so they decided to make it FFXV to recoup the costs. 13/14 and this have killed the entire franchise.

This game’s for children.

#13 10 months ago
  14. millsy

I remember everyone ripping FF XIII to shreds saying no open world too linear. This looks a lot like kingdom hearts and in those games didn’t you select stages like levels and have dumbed down rpg elements?

#14 10 months ago
  15. salarta

@14: Until you actually see confirmation that it’s like that, that’s speculation. Many people aren’t going to hate a game in advance for something that they have no information about. If I remember correctly, in the past Nomura talked quite a lot about including a traditional world map.

And the complaint I saw from people on THAT matter concerning FF13 wasn’t over the game having no open world. The complaint was about the player’s path being too linear. The two are very different. You can have no open world, but still not have annoying linearity by having many branching areas and paths within the same area, even with only one ultimate exit. In fact, exploration was one of the key things about the FF franchise, and it had managed to carry over all the way up to and including FF12.

#15 10 months ago