Final Fantasy 15 will have multiple sequels

Thursday, 13th June 2013 09:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Director Tetsuya Nomura has confirmed that Square Enix expects to produce a number of follow-ups to Final Fantasy 15, and hinted that we may see the publisher’s plans for episodic releases come into play sooner than anticipated.

“While Final Fantasy 15 will have one climax, as a story, we plan to continue it further,” Nomura told Famitsu, as translated by Siliconera.

The developer said knowing the setting would continue beyond just one game eased the pressure to fit in everything the team had conceptualised, and that future episodes would be delivered much more quickly than Final Fantasy 15 itself, which was in limbo for eight years.

“Having you wait a long while for a next title isn’t something we would desire,” Nomura said.

“Also, we’ve been exploring online compatibilities ever since the shift towards the next-generation hardware was decided.”

If that doesn’t mean “episodic releases of smaller scope projects”, in line with recent comments from executive Yosuke Matsuda, there’ll be a lot of nacho hat eating in the VG247 office.

On a similar theme, Nomura apologised to fans for the long wait, something Matsuda recently described as “dishonest”; it’s hard not to re-interpret the executive’s comments in light of the recent revelation that the long-awaited RPG would be jumping ship from PlayStation 3 to next-gen, as well as dropping out of the Final Fantasy 13 Fabula Nova Crystallis sequence in favour of spinning off its own canon.

“I deeply apologize for having you wait for so long. I hope that our latest announcement has been able to meet all of your expectations,” Nomura said.

“From this point on, the quality will only be getting better. There are many of you who feel that Japanese developers have fallen behind those from the West in the current generation. I believe that this title will show you otherwise for the next generation.”

Hit the source link above for a few other details from the article, including word that Nomura only agreed to change the title once he was sure he could keep Final Fantasy Versus 13′s unique systems and story rather than fit in with the general trends of the franchise; the possibility of DLC and other online features; and the potential for smartphone or Vita tie-ins.

Final Fantasy 15 is due on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sometime after March 2014. Some of the cast have been introduced, and a ballin’ gameplay trailer surfaced yesterday. The cinematic E3 trailer is pretty good, too.

1. CyberMarco

Please don’t make DLC-crap fest!

2. Beta

I could make a joke about multiple climaxes here but I’m not that foul. ;)

Anyway, the trailer looked stunning.

3. orren

A 15th game in a series is going to have multiple sequels? Who’d have guessed!

4. Atmey

That means there won’t be mid game twists like FF6, how disappointing.

5. KAP

How do you know that for sure.
    I used to be the biggest Final Fantasy fanboy from FF6 all the way through to Final Fatasy 12, I played them all to LV99, but after FF12 I hated the look and feel of the rest.

Final Fantasy 15 looks so good I’m gonna get back into the series…
    I’d never thought I’d see the day where we are playing a game that looks like an FMV.. Truly insane.

6. Takeshi

Square Enix getting back on track. Love it.

Thank you for apologizing, Nomura-san. I accept it. Now go on and make the best Final Fantasy game we’ve seen in years, you magnificent bastard. :D

I’m all for this even though the content of XV may be short of that of other Final Fantasy games. If we can then get a sequel within a couple of years that’ll just be awesome.

Now I just feel like playing XIII again, and XIII-2 so I can play Lighting Returns when it’s out.

7. Ristas

Because that always worked out great for Final Fantasy.

8. salarta

Planning to do tons of sequels right out of the gate without actually knowing if people will respond well to the game is something I can’t get behind. That always comes off to me less like a plan for good story-telling and more like a plan to get extra money out of consumers.

Reading Nomura claim that he wanted to be able to buck general trends of the franchise annoyed me and put me off for a moment, but then when I read more and looked at the quote again, I didn’t see anything that actually suggested it would be something not fitting the Final Fantasy brand. I mean, if FF13 can be called a Final Fantasy and get away with it in the eyes of consumers, then FF15 is perfectly fine.

Regardless, I’m actually looking forward to this so far. Also the close-up of the eyes in the picture for this article is awesome.

9. Clupula

I wouldn’t mind seeing one or two Final Fantasy mainline titles per gen, with sequels to those games taking up the rest of the time. I mean, I loved XIII and XIII-2.

As long as, storyline-wise, it’s more like say VI, VII, IX, X, and XIII, then IV, V, VIII, and XII, then I’d be happy to buy the sequels.