Xbox One: people are imagining negative ‘always-online’ outcomes, says Mattrick

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 09:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s online verification checks have been discussed by Microsoft’s Don Mattrick in a new interview, in which he suggests people are imagining worst-case scenarios that aren’t there.

During an interview with GameTrailers he said of the stir caused by online checks, “We appreciate the passion. It’s important that people share their ideas, but people are imagining outcomes that we believe are worse than what it’s going to be like in the real world.

“When we designed the box we paid attention to what it means to connect to the internet. The average internet connection is working the majority of the day. People are imagining that it isn’t, but I don’t feel that’s the world we live in.”

Elsewhere in the discussion Mattrick confirmed that Microsoft did expect some backlash for its decision to authenticate Xbox One consoles once every 24-hours via online check-in, but he argued that people will see the benefit once they start using the console. He then added, “It’s something that when people experience it, it’s easier than having someone like me describe it.”

We’re yet to see these benefits in practice, but during the same interview Mattrick said that if you don’t have an internet connection then you should just get an Xbox 360. Read what he said here.

What’s your view on the above?

Thanks GI.biz.

1. Pytox

by gamers for gamers yea right …

#1 1 year ago
  2. monkeygourmet

or they didn’t put peoples minds at rest well enough?

Fuck, their PR team couldn’t even explain this cluster fuck, and ultimatly, it is what it is…

A destruction of consumer rights and the arrogance of a large company pissing all over long time fans.

At least Sony have attempted to meet fans half way, offered a decent price and good quality(ish) hardware.

On top of that we still have games like ‘Last of Us’, ‘Puppeteer’ anf ‘GT6′ coming for PS3…

MS abandonded the 360 about 2 years ago with Kinect, and THIS is what they have been working on all that time?!

Bullshit.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bam007

I pre-ordered one, just so I can smash it and upload it to YouTube.

#3 1 year ago
  4. polygem

he still doesn´t even get the point does he?

#4 1 year ago
  5. backup

PC beggars and xbots are F**ked by MS and they like it lol

#5 1 year ago
  6. monkeygourmet

Thing is, a lot of people are going BACK to Sony after the huge initial fuck up they made of PS3 launch (they essentially did what MS is doing here).

The people you should really worry about are people who stuck with Sony even through that fiasco. They were effectivaly the Xbone fanboys of their time….

Were you in that group? :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Paranormal Pett

If you can’t describe your product well enough to get people to buy it, then a)You are incredibly crap at your job. b) Have a shit product on your hands or C) Both of the above.

Seriously, who is going to spend £429 on something to find out if the benefits out way all the negatives?

#7 1 year ago
  8. backup

Bluray was expensive in 2006 Wii and 360 didn’t had one

PS3 price was justified while there is nothing in Wiiu and X1 that makes their price raise

#8 1 year ago
  9. GoingPostal13

Okay Mr. Mattrick – how does your DRM benefit me as a consumer? Answer that and I might start listening.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Samoan Spider

@6 Bahahahahaha! Using logic against the troll. Nice one :). But you’re dead right.

On topic. They have been honest to a fault, but forget to put it in plain language and be clear about it so it’s kicking their arse. Sony walked up on stage and said it plainly and simply. So basically, what #7 says :D

@9 Because piracy funds terrorism and kills puppies and shit. Consumers *need* protecting from themselves. Lulz :P

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

It wasn’t justified in the sense it brought nothing to games in the long run. It was the ‘TV Kinect features’ of it’s day…

Sony just chucked it in because it new idiots would pay anything for PS3 at launch and it needed to get the media format into homes, sleeper style.

Same as Xboners now…

#11 1 year ago
  12. Bomba Luigi

You know why Don? Because that is very much Possible. Because the Past online-only Stuff has teached us that. Because you put it in a Weak Point that is not needed.

The Funny Thing, even when my Internet is perfect Fine all the Time, and my Provider don’t make shit, then these are only two parts of the Chain that can Brake. Theres another One: Your Servers.
    You know Don what causes all the Troubles around Assassins Creed2, Diablo3 or Sim City on PC? The Servers….
    Did you notice Don that PSN was once down for a Month? Do you think you are invincible Don? Thats good for you, I don’t think that.

Dear Don, there are good Reasons to be Negativ about that. Maybe you can pull it off Perfect, and even my Provider will always be Perfect like Chuck Norris, But I Simply do not believe in that.
    How do you wanna Change my Believes Don?

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

They couldn’t even get the demo’s on stage running smoothly! :/

#13 1 year ago
  14. Llewelyn_MT

We should all just pay up, bend over, and hope for the best. Yeah, right…

#14 1 year ago
  15. The_Red

I really wish Nintendo had a conference and they too could say FUCK YOU to MS. I mean, Wii U is THE console that was DRM-free and used game friendly all along, even before Sony began to think about DRM and stuff.

Hopefully PS4 ends up more like Wii U and less like X1.

#15 1 year ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

This is part of the philosophy that killed the Wii U…

#16 1 year ago
  17. Bomba Luigi

@13: Well, at Sony Conferenc was a Game Crashing too. Thats not a point I fault MS or Sony in any way, these are unfinished Games, on Dev-Kits and not the Finished Console Product. Just normal, they still work on Titels till launch, not done yet.

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

I was mildly trolling, I have tooth ache :)

#18 1 year ago
  19. Bomba Luigi

@18: Ah, lost my Sense of Trolling in many Way these Days. Not even sure If I’m trolling or not :P

#19 1 year ago
  20. iSh3rlock

To Mattrick,

I’ll put a firecracker in your nutsack and blow your balls all over your pants.

Eric Cartman

#20 1 year ago
  21. aseddon130

trolls are seriously boring, why do they get so irate over the smallest things?

The end of this conversation should be if you have a console nowadays and it’s not online, then you’re missing out on 50% of the reasonings on owning one in the first place, the whole always online thing always rang false for me, and it was never a cause for concern.

This being the opinion of a fella who has a stable 60mb internet connection though ….

#21 1 year ago
  22. Kaufer

Let be honest here. The main reason Mattrick wants and always online console is so MS can continually sell dashboard ads to a captive audience.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Fin

#dealwithit

#23 1 year ago
  24. viralshag

I think that’s accurate. From the get-go it has seemed like a big deal over nothing really.

Yeah, I think the X1 would benefit more if they didn’t have the online check in thing but I don’t think it’s that big a problem. Let’s face it, most gamers wouldn’t be able to game the way they do if it wasn’t for the internet.

MMOs, Steam, OMP, patches, DLC and media benefits all require the internet either to access it or actually get it. I imagine the majority of people wouldn’t even notice or care about the check in.

#24 1 year ago
  25. KAP

smh.

#25 1 year ago
  26. orakaa

A little translation here:

“We appreciate the passion” = “we don’t care and f*ck you”

“It’s something that when people experience it, it’s easier than having someone like me describe it” = “Despite months of preparation, we can’t find a genuine reason to justify such a restrictive feature other than greed on our part and…. oh just sh*t up and give us your money !”

What a bunch of f*cking morons!

#26 1 year ago
  27. ValveLover

“Fortunately we have a product for people who aren’t able to get some form of connectivity, it’s called Xbox 360.”

What a dumb comment. I still can’t believe he actually said that.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Docker Al

“It’s something that when people experience it, it’s easier than having someone like me describe it.” Guess what Don? I won’t ‘experience it’ because I won’t fucking buy it. Prick.

#28 1 year ago
  29. laimis911

By Microsoft ,for Microsoft . Gamers don’t matter . Thanks to Sony we have an option it’s called _PS4_
    No wonder why Bill Gates is the richest man on the planet . M$ taking more than giving .

#29 1 year ago
  30. majicship

I was always a Sony PS gamer but the cock up that was the introduction of the PS3 turned me to the X360 – a great console. Now I am firmly going back to Sony with the PS4 and I am feeling pretty good about it. Microsoft have, in my opinion, totally lost the plot outside of the US. If I was a US resident I might think this was a cool device and maybe, just maybe, stay with it. But I’m not, and now I am happy with what I have seen and heard about the PS4. I like the price, the package, and the type of games that Sony has on offer.

#30 1 year ago
  31. yeoung

I’m trying to understand how games could benefit from an always on connection or a structural once-in-24-hours connection.

So far I got squat.

#31 1 year ago
  32. salarta

This is the same guy that tries to wave off any concerns about not being able to play games without checking in every 24 hours by telling people to go buy the old console, then goes on to bullshit that a system full of shitty DRM and anti-consumer utilities is somehow something “by gamers and for gamers.” Despite being the exact opposite of anything gamers want.

I can’t take anything he says on this matter seriously. Microsoft, bring out someone that isn’t such an insulting bullshitter and I’ll listen.

#32 1 year ago
  33. xxJPRACERxx

So far the only benefit is you don’t need to put the disc in the drive to play.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Malmer

@33 And that you can share your games with your family. Wherever they are in the world. You and one more family member will be able, if I’m not mistaken, to play the same game at the same time with one license. So no need to buy multiple copies to play MP together within the family. Now how is “family” defined?

#34 1 year ago
  35. DrDamn

No – only one person can play the shared game at any one time.

“The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time.”

#35 1 year ago
  36. polygem

@34: you must offer their soul to ms. then they become part of the family.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Malmer

@35 Well that is a matter of interpretation. Does the “shared” copy include my own copy? This is what Microsoft says on their own site:

“Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.”

Which seems to me like you can always play your game, and one person can play a shared copy.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Bomba Luigi

When you need Lawyer to undertand how you own a Game and can lend a Game, or Sale Game, its way to complicatet, which is not good. The Short Video of Sony One Guy handing over a Disc to the other and done? Thats what I want.

But I’m a Disc Person. Maybe not that Important for Digital Buy mosty/only persons. You can have some diffrent view Points here.

#38 1 year ago
  39. DrDamn

@Malmer
    Ah ok, my mistake. So two people. Key is going to be family definition.

#39 1 year ago
  40. DuckOfDestiny

The reason people only see the negatives is because there are no positives to this for the consumer.

I could understand a once online activation for new content like on Steam, but really after that why do need to connect at least once each day other than for DRM purposes? There is none.

A phone may require a signal to perform it’s main function (That relies on that signal to communicate with other phone), however if I’m ever without a signal for more than a day, I’m not locked out from using it, I just won’t be able to call or send messages to other phones.

#40 1 year ago
  41. DSB

Maybe it’s because we’ve only had negative always online outcomes.

Every time some arrogant, ignorant company tries to pull this shit, they’re telling people not to worry, and telling them that they have everything completely under control.

Ubisoft did it, Activision did it, EA did it, and now Microsoft are doing it.

Maybe it’s time to face the facts. It’s the least succesful and most hated model in digital entertainment, and you have everything left to prove.

#41 1 year ago
  42. salarta

@40: A better example might be that losing your internet connection on a computer doesn’t lock you out of writing word documents or keep you from looking at websites you saved to your computer as HTML files. Another example might be that losing your satellite signal for TV doesn’t make you unable to turn on the TV, or lock you out of your DVD player.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Ireland Michael

Watch my money imagine its way into Sony’s bank account, Microsoft.

#43 1 year ago
  44. OlderGamer

Mike +1

I just preordered my PS4 today.

#44 1 year ago
  45. MadFingerz

“people are imagining outcomes that we believe are worse than what it’s going to be like in the real world”

Wake up from the fucking Matrix MS…

#45 1 year ago
  46. CyberMarco

GG Microsoft!

#46 1 year ago
  47. brent292

Oh no my power went now I can’t play games for a day what ever shall I do, I can’t go outside the light will burn me

#47 1 year ago
  48. theirwatching

I agree with Mattrick here. Think about it your internet is out more than 1 or 4 hours your on the phone with your internet provider asking them what the problem is. I guess I’ve had my internet go out but for only like 30min I think the most was half a day. I guess I’m just confused maybe all the people who are crying over it can explain it to me but maybe not because they probably don’t have internet connection right now.

#48 1 year ago
  49. ps3fanboy

Mr. Mattrick can take is bs else where, the xbone is done!

#49 1 year ago
  50. Crim

While I agree, Sony has the upper-hand *at the current time*, I also disagree that it’s better, and eventually Xbox One will take over.

Sure, forcing the Kinect to be included drove up the price $100 more, which is going to cost them a lot of players. Especially when Kinect isn’t that amazing.

I however, like the features “forced online” features.
    Why? No more J-Tags. No more RGH. No more flashed consoles.
    Microsoft is forcing modded consoles to go online so they can be console banned.
    PS4 always has been more prone to user-mods, and it will be EVEN MORE a target now.

Can’t borrow games? I don’t borrow games anyway. You do? Sucks.
    Can’t get used games? I don’t buy used games. You do? Sucks.

Once people see how much hell hackers will reign over PS4, I’m confident they’ll switch to Xbox One.

Microsoft should seriously consider making Live free.

Hell, I’m still going to be spending most of my time on PC games though.

#50 1 year ago