Ubisoft wants Wii U to sell more units before it makes more exclusives

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 16:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Once Nintendo sells more Wii U systems, Ubisoft will make more game exclusive to the console, according to chairman and CEO Yves Guillemot.

Speaking with Kotaku at E3, Guillemot said the firm’s focus regarding the consoles has changed, after releasing ZombiU exclusively on the system at launch.

“We need more sold,” Guillemot said. “hey are coming with five of their biggest brands ever. And the Yen went down. So maybe they will take steps that will increase the number of consoles sold.

“Our job is to be agile. We have to adapt the company to the potential of the market. So, what we did last year, was we knew we could learn second-screen with Nintendo, so we went full-speed to use this capacity the console was bringing. And we were able to develop Rayman, which will come at the end of this year and which is fantastic, using this second screen.

“What we saw is that, in learning that, we can also use it with the other consoles with [Xbox 360] Smart Glass, for example, and it’s a good option that is coming to us. If you look at us this year on Wii U we will have a lot of products.”

So while the firm is still supporting the system with multiplatform titles, the shift in its confidence in the system can be seen with the once exclusive Rayman Legends going multiplatform.

Once Nintendo moves more consoles, which it surely will when Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. Wii U comes out, Ubisoft will respond in kind.

1. The_Red

If low numbers for Wii U are indeed behind Rayman L becoming multi-plat, then I will (selfishly) wish for Xbox One to bomb as bad as it can. At least with Wii U, it’s a console that’s worth supporting because of consumer friendliness, Nintendo games and of course, Bayonetta 2.

I’ll never be able get a X1 as along as always-online DRM and used game restrictions remain so, the only way I can play Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall, would be via fall of X1.

Speaking more rationally, I hope Wii U does recover and X1 does remove those disgusting strategies so we can have proper competition.

2. zme-ul

this is dumb logic
    Nintendo won’t sell more units because people want more exclusives …

3. Lengendaryboss

Then Nintendo should make exclusives that appeal to all audiences, not the same old, same old stuff.

4. Froseidon

To be honest, I hope the Wii U sells more. I really love mine and would hope for it to continue. I know Nintendo are still a profitable company but it’d be nice for the Wii U to have a boost.

5. dreamcastnews

It’s only fair, Ubi Soft aren’t going to want to make games for the console if the audience isn’t there. It’s totally down to Nintendo to turn the machine around.

6. Sylrissa

Titan fall is not an xbone exclusive, it’s coming to PC as well.

personally I’d love to see Killer instinct be cross platform (though double helix doesn’t fill me with confidence), as that and project sparks were the only exclusives that I really want to play.

And I’ll likely buy a WiiU when Bayonetta 2 comes out

7. Djoenz

Give me a new Zelda and I might get a WiiU.

8. The_Red

Good call but I’m not sure my PC can handle it. I was SO going to love Xbox One for KI but then, Double Helix was revealed and the game turned out to be F2P :(

9. Sylrissa

@8 Yeah I know how you feel, I was like OMG KI!!, then it was show to be double helix, with their “stellar” resume of games, plus the f2p announcement really killed my excitement for the game.

10. Eddie Rodrigues

“We don’t make exclusives because the console is selling bad”

The console is selling bad because of no exclusives. This is just the same evil twisted logic that is crushing the PSVita and (in the future) the Xbone!

11. Lengendaryboss

@Eddie
    Could also be due to Brand awareness? Not alot of Wii U and PS Vita ads in the UK, plenty of 3DS and PS3 Ads.

12. OlderGamer

All I can say is that I love my WiiU. Playing without the second screen makes me feel like something is missing. It needs more games. I think Gamers, Media, and Publishers all got seduced by MS and its X1 leading up to the systems revel. I am not one to give into a fanboy liklyness but, I hope MS fail with X1.

As for WiiU, it will be worth the price if for nothing else then for Nintendo exclusives. It will never be a market leader. My plan for next gen is PC, PS4, and WiiU.