PS4 vs Xbox One: the $100 canyon

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 09:12 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony and Microsoft have both laid their next-gen cards down at E3 2013, and VG247′s Dave Cook is currently considering a switch in his core console as a result. Discussion inside.

On Monday both Sony and Microsoft whipped out their shiny next-generation dicks and displayed them so we in the gaming press could compare sizes. Come Tuesday morning the internet was ablaze with debate.

I’ve seen scores of gamers now rallying behind PS4 thanks to its lower £349 / $399 price-point, grunting technical specs, open used game policy, a ‘let the publisher’s decide’ approach to used DRM, an almost revolving door policy to indies and an impressive pre-E3 conference in tow.

By comparison Microsoft’s showing offered a few tantalising game announcement and trailers such as Titanfall from Respawn, that very lovely Metal Gear Solid 5 trailer and a Halo 5 teaser. It wasn’t a bad show from an IP perspective, but one problem continues to linger in the mind.

At £429 / $499 It’s quite expensive.

There’s a $100 dollar difference between PS4 and Xbox One in the States and while that might seem like a small gap in the grand scheme of things, for many gamers it is a canyon that will ultimately decide their format of choice moving into the next-generation.

The console hobby isn’t getting cheaper, even as the volume of free-to-play titles and affordable digital games rises. Here in the UK boxed games are launching at an RRP of £44.99 in many cases, and then there’s additional add-ons like online activation codes, DLC expansions and your monthly Xbox Live Gold subscription on top of that. Don’t even get me started on the price of some full console games online.

Sure, no one’s forcing games to lay down on all of these option extras and I day-in, day-out on this site I see people complaining that people should vote against paid DLC and micro-items by simply not buying it. But here’s the reality; some people really get attached to an IP enough – as an honest-to-god fan – that they will pay for more of it, no matter what the extras are.

It’s called brand loyalty, and it happens often. I guarantee you all that despite fears surrounding the Xbox One’s restrictions and asking price, people will still buy Microsoft’s console. It’s not because they’re mindless peons who are so indoctrinated they’ll eat any steaming shit Steve Ballmer serves up on their plate, no questions asked.

Want to see what happens to me next? Pay for it.

Instead, it’s because they love games like Halo. They will buy the new Xbox to continue the Master Chief story in Halo 5. The same goes for Forza, Killer Instinct and to be honest Titanfall looked fucking weapon didn’t it? Who are we to hurl barbs at people who are simply enjoying something that they love?

Perhaps these people aren’t happy with Xbox One, and if it means seeing a franchise to its end then maybe they’re happy to tolerate the issues at hand for now. But again that $100 difference is causing people to shift sides, among other things.

If rumours are to be believed then the price of games might also increase, and yes, I’m aware that games today are as as expensive as they have been at various other points in history. Regardless it’s still getting more expensive to be a console gamer, and if we’re to pay a pre-owned activation fee for Xbox One titles then that cost will surely rise.

At present, no publisher has stepped forward and openly admitted that it’s going to adopt the activation fee, but rest assured whichever company does it first is going to have an online shitstorm to quell.

The point is that today, even Sony has started charging for use of its online mulitplayer service, and it’s indicative of an industry that will now look at every possible way to make you pay more for the things you love. It’s nothing personal, it’s just business, because that’s what a large part of this industry is about; making money.

For me personally, I play both PS3 and Xbox 360 today and I will play PS4 and Xbox One going into next-gen. I mean, I kind of have to in order to do this job, but right now Xbox 360 is my most-used machine as it’s the one most of my mates play with online.

From what I’m hearing this week I think that will change in the next-generation. They’re mostly pre-ordering PS4 right now, so I may have to make a switch in my core console in order to keep up with them.

So back then to the $100 question; Will Sony make a loss on PS4′s generous pricing, and if so, will it use paid-for multiplayer as a way to recoup that money? On the other side, has Microsoft actually priced Xbox One correctly so this loss doesn’t happen? Has it actually got the number right, or is the company just pushing its luck?

Over to you folks.

Erm…

#6 1 year ago
  7. KineticCalvaria

@6, …himself?

#7 1 year ago
  8. KAP

I’ve been with Xbox for 10yrs now, I’m so pissed Microsoft has been so bigheaded.
    Ill be selling my Xbox360 and putting my preorder on a PS4 this afternoon.

This E3 will of course go down in history.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Malmer

But according to this, on Xbox One you don’t need to buy two copies to play multiplayer games with your family members, wherever they are.

“Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.”

Now how is a family member defined? Can a friend and I simply say we are the same familiy and then share all our games with eachother? 10 people is enough to fit two families in there. In that perspective, $100 is something that is quickly saved.

#9 1 year ago
  10. iSh3rlock

I pre-ordered 4 PS4 launch editions.

and 2 xbox one day 1 editions (only for some ebay profit purposes). so I can lower my PS4 costs :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. BazzaLFC

Xbone’s Answer to no internet!!!!

#11 1 year ago
  12. undermyrules

@1 gonna be banned in 3…2…1

#12 1 year ago
  13. Iliad

I’ve been with MS for almost 10 years now too, and although I’ve owned every PlayStation, ever since the first Xbox that brand has been my core console of choice.

I bought the 360 at launch and I didn’t buy a PS3 until the release of the slim, and only use the PS3 for first-party releases – everything else is on 360, as let’s be honest, it’s a better console for gaming with friends (better audio quality, better online service in Xbox Live, and that all-so-important party chat).

That said, I’ve pre-ordered a PS4, which will be my core console of the next generation. I’m still on the fence about the Xbox One, and the only thing that’s keeping my interested is my absolute love of the Forza series. If that wasn’t a launch title, then I wouldn’t even be entertaining the possibility of the Xbox One.

#13 1 year ago
  14. backup

will be back again in 1…2…3

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

Is there a concept of sub-accounts on Live? Perhaps that’s what it means.

Edit: Answering my own question it will probably work like a current XBox family account…

One primary, everyone else is secondary. Secondary needs to be created on same machine as primary and then recovered to other consoles. Secondary uses same CC/purchase details as primary. So using it as a cheaper friends sharing games thing may not work quite so well.

#15 1 year ago
  16. coloredlense

XBox One lost me with 24 hour check ins. My employment takes me all around the world, to places that don’t have working phone lines let alone internet. I’m not paying them $500 for a fancy bluray player. Looks like I’m going back to Sony.

#16 1 year ago
  17. MadFlavour

I can and will throw barbs at anyone that buys an x1. They’re greenlighting this anti consumerist bullshit. If enough people buy it it will become standard practice.

FUCK THE FUCKING XBONE AND FUCK YOU IF YOU BUY ONE!

#17 1 year ago
  18. Malmer

@17 Calm down. It is just a games console. Perspective dude!

#18 1 year ago
  19. Christopher Jack

Mocking the journalist that delivered you this story, how charming.

#19 1 year ago
  20. naffgeek

This all reminds me so much of the ‘Hudsucker Proxy’.

I am sure there is a shady character manipulating the kind but naive Don Mattrick into running the company into the ground so the stock price plummets and he can buy the company (that’s pretty much the plot of the movie for those who are wondering wtf i am talking about).

It is the only explanation I can think of for this bizarre series of anti-customer announcements.

They even resurrect Killer Instinct and then tarnish it with the stink of f2p (even though that stink might be undeserved in this case).

It’s like they are having meetings to blue sky the best way to piss off the fanbase.

Mattrick even said this morning if you don’t have internet buy a 360!!!

It all beggars belief and all Sony had to do was the exact opposite and they are going to clean up.

It really has been the most bizarre E3 in a lot of ways.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Noodlemanny

I’d definitely say that the PS4 is gonna come out on top this iteration, and rightly so. However Dead Rising 3 and The Witcher 3 are the reasons why I’m still gonna get an X1.
    That and the fact I’ve got internet access and buy all my games new anyway so all this kerfuffle doesn’t bother me anyways.

#21 1 year ago
  22. aseddon130

I am an avid 360 gamer, i love my 360. I own a PS3 but that was just to play the decent Sony exclusives like Infamous and Uncharted, if a game is multiplatform i’ll play it on 360 mostly because of the achievement system. The moves that Microsoft have moved with the Xbox ONE with regards to always online, used game policies don’t really bother me personally (well, the latter one does to some extent, as i’d like the ability to trade my games back in) but i know friends who are adamant that they will go to PS4 if they get strict on that stuff, and i don’t blame them.

I am personally considering moving to PS4, it’d kill me to abandon my 174k achievement score but it’s definately being considered. The requirement of definately needing Kinect is annoying since i have Kinect for 360 and barely use it (if i do it’s to say ‘Xbox, play disc’) and that price difference is ridiculous, an extra £80 for presumably a function i don’t really want (Kinect) – in my head, thats 3 extra next generation game titles for me, and while most decent games were multiplatform anyway, i’ll go with PS4.

#22 1 year ago
  23. machy

I just looked at amazon poll on FB it’s almost 12: 1 ratio between the ps4 and x1 … let’s talk facts here ps3 has beating the 360 world wide the playstation brand has a momentum and Sony actually plays right this time “”this said they leaned and it looks like they did”

bottom line ms need to listen to core base fan the 1st adopters other wise the C-gamer will only follow that hard core friend and It’s gonna be sega all over again

the mainstreamers won’t invest 500$ on something that his galaxy tab can do .. “voice control is only good for tv/movies”"

#23 1 year ago
  24. aseddon130

@21 with Dead Rising 3 being Capcom, you do know they have a history of doing only timed exclusives??? If you wait a while it’ll guarantee to be on PS4. It wouldn’t suprise me if The Witcher 3 does the same eventually aswell.

#24 1 year ago
  25. The_Red

I can honestly say that the 100 canyon is not my problem. As Dave mentioned, 499 is indeed quite expensive but so is 399 IMHO. To me, the main problem lies with the always-online and anti-used game stuff. I don’t live in US or Europe so I do have many problems with reliable net connection. More importantly, most of the games that are available to many gamers ARE the 2nd hand titles.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Pytox

@3 behave yourself

#26 1 year ago
  27. Noodlemanny

Probably. But seriously as I was watching that gameplay trailer live I was getting so hyped for DR3 I’m not sure I can wait any longer for that game than is absolutely necessary.
    But yeah, its all up in the air at the moment, still weighing everything. At this point considering the Amazon pre-orders if MS has any sense left they’ll make some changes.
    Theres also Forza 5 and I’ve always been something of a fan of Forza but I’m not so bothered.

#27 1 year ago
  28. polygem

@18: i can understand this tbh. this is a huge issue, it´s testing things out. how far can they go. if you swallow it now you´ll open a million doors, just look at xbl gold and the ads. it´s baby steps but the goal is total controll and making you pay for the “service” of being controlled. so i really don´t think it´s only a matter of perspective, it´s also a statement.

#28 1 year ago
  29. pepperoni

Living abroad and travelling frequently, I can tell you that the PS3 (and PS4 I hope) is brilliant when buying games across the world. The lack of region locking means I can pick up titles from any country and play them anywhere, and this really helps especially when I see bargains in shops in Hong Kong or even the UK. This is a huge reason why I never considered the 360 to begin with

#29 1 year ago
  30. Malmer

@28 It is one thing to say that you don’t want to buy something and that you dislike a policy. But threatening people who buys the console is too much.

#30 1 year ago
  31. FriendlyFiend

@21, @24 er, The Witcher 3 was confirmed for PS4 back in February. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/the-witcher-3-confirmed-for-ps4/

#31 1 year ago
  32. naffgeek

Yeah the Edge preview lists Wicther 3 it as PS4 too.

Dead Rising 3 is the only game I wanted out of Xbox line up and hopefully that will come to PS4 or PC one day.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Yoshi

I’ll be getting PS4 as all the “exclusives” that I’ll be wanting from Xbox are actually MS exclusives, meaning they’re also on PC like Titanfall

#33 1 year ago
  34. polygem

@30: i agree.

#34 1 year ago
  35. anik_lc

Screw both.

PC forever.

#35 1 year ago
  36. scx

Just got a new laptop with what im told has the same gpu as the ps4 so ill stick to that for a while. Been a 360 fan since it came out but will eventually move to ps4 if it has the sky app.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Docker Al

Another 10 year Xbox player here. Have a PS3 but it’s used mainly for Blu-ray. For me the killer is the surveillance camera. There is no way that thing is coming into my house. Ever. And that’s the thing; so many different reasons to not buy. Some hate the always online, some the DRM. I could live with both of those but not that evil camera. So day one PS4 for me.

#37 1 year ago
  38. GoingPostal13

It’s the arrogance of Microsoft that I have to seek their permission every 24 hours so I can play the games I’ve paid a lot of money for that grates.

My connection is fine most of time, but we’re not just reliant on our own connections, we’re also at the mercy of the servers (and we all know how reliable servers can be).

I know that the consoles I own now and from the last 30 years still work without an internet connection. I don’t think own a device that won’t work quite happily without an internet connection (even my router works without it in on the LAN). If I want to plug them in, that’s my choice to make.

The internet is only a requirement because Microsoft is making it artificially so – in reality it’s a restriction: the machine is telling me how I have to use it. That is anti-consumer, and for that reason, I’m out.

#38 1 year ago
  39. lookingglass

The PS4 offers the exact same experience I’ve been having for almost 20 years but with better graphics.

While I get that a lot of people like that, which is a big part of the uproar, it just doesn’t feel next gen to me.

The PS4 is a mid-range PC with a controller. The experiences are identical.

The Xbox One offers smartglass, Kinect, a blending of entertainment and gaming, the gamification of live sports, the power and expertise of microsoft cloud services, and a powerful Internet backbone.

It just FEELS next gen, while the PS4 doesn’t. I think in a couple years PS4 adopters will realize this.

Once the glossy sheen of new graphics subsides, the fist-bumping on the forums stops, and the Xbox evils turn out to be barely noticeable, people will crave new experiences. they’ll crave something vastly different. And the PS4 won’t be equipped to offer it.

$100 is a small price to pay for lasting potential. Especially if I’m only buying one console period.

Anyways… If you have a smart phone or tablet…
    PS4 + Vita = $650
    Xbox One = $500

*shrugs*

#39 1 year ago
  40. TheBlackHole

I resent the assumption that the only reason I would buy an Xbox One is because I want to continue playing Halo.

Aside from the fact that Xbox Live is (as of today) the superior console platform for online gaming, I also think the controller is far, far better than the dual shock. And so far I’ve not seen anything that would change that with the new models.

On top of this, I happen to not be as concerned as some people with the route MS are taking. I’m very comfortable with digitally connected media, and in the odd occasion that I move house or my very reliable internet goes down, I’ll probably be able to find something else to do.

I love having boxed and digital day and date.

Not having to use discs after first instillation

Allowing 10 family members to play any of my games from any Xbox, anywhere. That’s something I think has been massively overlooked. I don’t know how they’ll differentiate between friends and family, but having a shared library of games for ten people is actually awesome.

I’m very interested in cloud computing, and see a lot of potential benefits to being connected around the clock (mandatory or not). Instant updates, streaming and improved processing power. It’s unexplored and unproven territory, but I think it’s the future in one way or another.

I don’t like Kinect for gaming, but the voice activated stuff is interesting and useful when implemented correctly.

I’m excited for things like Ilumiroom, which genuinely looks great.

I like that it will integrate with my TV so can activate all my entertainment from one place. Having my existing apps and subscriptions (like Netflix and Skype) working natively is great.

I like that I can easily video call my family from my living room without shakily holding up my iPad or phone.

I like buying brand new, even if it means I have to wait for price drops. It means I’m supporting the developers. And don’t give me any of that ‘I sell games to buy them new’, because that’s horseshit. Most people that sell second hand, buy second hand. It makes sense – there’s a reason they need to trade – they can’t afford to always buy full price. And why would you when second hand come with guarantees.

In all honesty, I’ll probably end up with both consoles ‘eventually’, but my first port of call right now will be an Xbox.

And it’s not because I’m either too stupid to understand how the console works, or because I’m brand loyal and feel an urge to continue playing Halo.

#40 1 year ago
  41. DrDamn

> I love having boxed and digital day and date.

Something PS3/Vita is well ahead of 360 on. Why is that a differentiator?

> Not having to use discs after first instillation

This is a really nice feature I agree.

> Allowing 10 family members to play any of my games from any Xbox,
    > anywhere. That’s something I think has been massively overlooked.
    > I don’t know how they’ll differentiate between friends and family,
    > but having a shared library of games for ten people is actually
    > awesome.

I’m guessing it’ll be like the current Gold family sub. Which is probably a lot more restrictive than you are thinking it is. One primary account and everything else is a secondary account. Secondary accounts have to be created on primary console then recovered to other consoles. Single CC/payment to MS set-up with primary able to gift credit to secondarys. Have a look on MS website for Family Gold. I would think it could be used by a good group of friends but it would be a bit of a pain and require some management. They’d need to be very good friends and trust each other too.

#41 1 year ago
  42. SplatteredHouse

According to Michael Pachter’s comments during his in-person chat on Spike’s E3 show. After the firm at which he works priced up the console, they came to the conclusion that Sony are not making a loss on the hardware at that price.

#42 1 year ago
  43. DrDamn

Andrew House has said Sony are in a much better position with PS4 at that price than they were with PS3 at that launch price too. BoM they are probably not making a loss on, include manufacture, shipping, R&D then yes they would be somewhat. PS+ will help balance things out though.

#43 1 year ago
  44. SplatteredHouse

Good point. I do remember a piece about Andrew House being interviewed, and that statement now.

#44 1 year ago
  45. hitnrun

Whether the console itself actually results in a profit or not isn’t relevant, particularly at launch. What’s important is the profitability of the entire enterprise. Obviously, despite being $100 cheaper (and even cheaper when adjusted for 7 years of inflation), Sony is going to be making much more money from actual masses of people buying their console – even at a loss – than they were making from passionate excuses from their fanboys about the price last time.

@40: Well, I’m with you on the controller, and I really wish Sony wasn’t so stubborn about foisting their ancient design on us to tap some nonexistent (for most of us) subconscious continuity to playing Final Fantasy and Crash Bandicoot with it.

But the rest of that sounds like you’re a rather limited market. You can forgive Dave for not including the “wants to pay $60 for every single title to support the developers and *doesn’t want the option* to do otherwise; intrigued by the PR guff surrounding a few features that will almost certainly never be used as intimated; doesn’t mind if his system works all the time or not; and willing to pay $100 more” population into his accounting. Also, if you think MS is going to let 10 people share your games without major restrictions and caveats, you’re nuts. I don’t care what they implied. I don’t care if Steve Ballmer shows up at my door right now with a signed contract. That’s not going to happen.

And “I can find something else to do” in particular sounds like something Sony fans were telling us two years ago when the PSN went down for 3 weeks.

#45 1 year ago
  46. DrDamn

Little nugget of info on the family account. Only one person can play a particular game at any one time. So you can’t buy a single copy of Titan Fall and play it together with someone else in your “family”.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Roxor

I love watching little nerdlets hyperventilate on stuff like this, its my daily enjoyment. Predicting the end of xbox, as you “swear” you were a big MS but not anymore blah blah.

I remember the same exact comments when Steam came out, oh it was the end of Valve, and the start of PC gaming demise, it was going to fail big time blah blah blah. Hey how’s that working out for Valve?

Regardless if you want to accept it or not, this is the future. You can cry and scream, and swear you’ll never buy a system with this kind of DRM, and you’ll be left behind. Its only a matter of time, perhaps with the PS4 later in life (they already have the infrastructure to do it, isn’t that a hint) or with PS5, its coming, oh and how the world will end then.

Enjoy putting your head in the sand, and bellowing out that if everyone else does, nothing will change. Sorry it will keep change and evolving you just won’t see it. Maybe by then you will have grown up and realize gaming is just that, games. Maybe that is what is needed to take wake a generate of individuals who live more through games than life itself.

Opps I mean – I was a long time xbox fan, but with this internet requirement and DRM, I will not stand for this shit, I’m going to buy a PS4 and my life will be a million times better. If you even think of buying an xbox you are as dumb as a rock, because what games you play determines the kind of person you are!

#47 1 year ago
  48. Samoan Spider

@47 This ^ :D

#48 1 year ago
  49. Clupula

@39 – Seriously, how much do they pay you to do these? Everything you say is always P.R. speak.

#40 expressed why he wanted an Xbone, but he sounded like a real person while doing it, so I genuinely believe that he is a person who happens to feel that way. While I may disagree with his points, I totally believe him.

You, on the other hand, really come off as one of those marketers Microsoft hired to keep negative perception of the Xbone from getting too high. I mean, you speak completely in bullet points and buzzwords.

Not to mention, I’ve never seen you here before the Xbone was announced.

#49 1 year ago
  50. dizzygear

@49 They call it AstroTurfing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Dont bother wasting your time replying to them.

#50 1 year ago
  51. TheBlackHole

@49 Appreciated.

I completely understand the negativity around the xbox, although as with many things in life I think the initial furore will die down and a more sensible perspective will be taken by all before launch.

As bad as Microsoft’s PR has been recently, I don’t believe that the effective ‘always online’ approach is as draconian as people are making out, and the proof will most definitely be in the pudding.

Whatever your view on gaming right now, you couldn’t say it was boring :)

#51 1 year ago
  52. Samoan Spider

@50 Does also seem like a Shill to me :)

#52 1 year ago
  53. TheBlackHole

#53 1 year ago
  54. Maguire82

Going xbox one day one. Sony are crap with keeping there promises. My Sony phone for example promised updates that have never come. And I far a I can see they have done the biggest U turn ever! “Ps4 wont have DRM.” Then oh no its up to the developers. We’ve already seen THQ go under and I’m sure there’s many other developers struggling so you can expect many companies taking advantage of this on the ps4.

@17 Come get some!

#54 1 year ago
  55. Lengendaryboss

@54 “My Sony phone for example promised updates that have never come.” oh sure because one division problems affects the PlayStation divisions ability to deliver.
    “Ps4 wont have DRM.” “Then oh no its up to the developers.” The PS4 does not have built in DRM, so technically they were right and DRM is just like this gen up to the publishers, so no U-turning.

#55 1 year ago
  56. TheBlackHole

Saying the console won’t support DRM is still underhand though, when what they really should have said was: Sony titles won’t support DRM.

Big difference.

#56 1 year ago
  57. TF_PtMaster

I think a lot of people do not understand the meaning of DRM…

#57 1 year ago
  58. Gnosis

Not a day one purchase, but I will eventually get a PS4. Even if they get the same DRM restrictions from the publishers, there is still no online checking, that will render the console useless and it’s not region locked. It’s by far the most important feature for me, as I live in Europe and a big part of my game collection is imported from the US.
    The price gap is not that important to me, since I’m not gonna pay the full price for neither one of them.
    Aside from that there is nothing of interest for me on the XO. I never cared about Kinect or Halo and during he presentation there was only one game that caught my attention. Sure, the line up’s gonna grow in time, but I dare to doubt that XO will get enough interesting exclusives to change my opinion.

#58 1 year ago
  59. dizzygear

@52 “See also: Astroturfing” :P

@56 Sony does not does not treat its PS4 users like criminals with mandatory daily checkups like MS. Big difference.

#59 1 year ago
  60. TheBlackHole

…and I’m pretty sure I didn’t say they did.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, though.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Samoan Spider

@59 Yup lol, thought you’d like that :)

@60 Speaking of rights, who has any with what’s happening?

#61 1 year ago
  62. Maguire82

@ 55 as far as I’m concerned they all come under one name plus I have many more examples how and why Sony have let all there customer’s down. And lets wait and see what happens in the near future

#62 1 year ago
  63. TheBlackHole

If you actually made a point I could respond to, I would, but that’s a very generic, sweeping statement aimed at nothing in particular.

Feel free to elaborate.

#63 1 year ago
  64. Lengendaryboss

“as far as I’m concerned they all come under one name” Yes but that still doesn’t excuse the fact that different divisions operate differently.

#64 1 year ago
  65. Samoan Spider

@63 Consider it an open question mixed with a play on the words you’d chosen at the end of your post. However I’ll paraphrase and direct it towards a specific point to save you the trouble: What rights do we have as consumers if we cannot play the games we own when we’re not connected to the internet?

#65 1 year ago
  66. Samoan Spider

@63 And I’m not going to wait for an answer because it’s simple: None.

That’s the stumbling block a lot of people can’t get over. I’m not talking about all the shiny online features, I’m talking about single player games with optional social interaction. I don’t expect to borrow or rent games, I just don’t care for it. If they interest me I’ll buy them when they’re cheap, but who has the right to tell me when I can and can’t play a game? MS think they do. I have an excellent high speed connection but that’s not to say I always will.

#66 1 year ago
  67. Kuwabara

Why anyone would get a xbox one is beyond comprehension. Considering the fact playstation has had the best software line up since ps1!!, and the most reliable hardware. Even halo fans should know that halo has passed its glorious heights, and bungie being out of the picture, why bother. Same with gears. I doubt we will see a gears 4, and if we do it won’t be by cliffy b.

#67 1 year ago
  68. manamana

@62 the Sony photographic devision is ace, with lots of updates! So considering your logic, the TVs must also be great. And the phones. And the playstation.

See, makes no sense. If you don’t like or have no trust in Playstation, don’t buy it.

#68 1 year ago
  69. pukem0n

does anyone really thing Microsoft wont go down with the price or bring out a kinect-less version of this?

i for one think one of those things is going to happen, and since they want to bring kinect into every home with an xbox a price cut before they actually start selling seems logical.

or they bring out the subsidized thing for people that dont want to pay it all at one

#69 1 year ago
  70. GoingPostal13

“Regardless if you want to accept it or not, this is the future. You can cry and scream, and swear you’ll never buy a system with this kind of DRM, and you’ll be left behind”

Nonsense. It’ll only happen if the consumer accepts it, and that’s far from guaranteed. Microsoft and others might like gaming to become a service, but that doesn’t mean everyone will follow them, even if they try to beat people with a stick over it.

As far as I’m aware the long predicted death of the CD has yet to happen and it still maintains a good percentage of that market – even vinyl is making a resurgence.

If people want things digitally distributed fine no problem let them have that, but I think physical media will be around for a good many years yet and there’s no reason why they can’t coexist – the collectors will see to that.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Maguire82

@65 Im always connected to the internet one way or another. I’ve live in my house over 10 years now and I’ve never once lost my internet connection. But in the case of that happening ill just hook my mobile phone to my box problem solved my friend. And the used games policy don’t bother me one bit I still got all my spectrum, NES,SNES,pc,MD, satin, GB,DC, ps1, ps2,64, cube,ps3 and 360 and many more games and fuck I still got my thunder cat sword!

#71 1 year ago
  72. Seraphemz

@71 Im always online @ home. But I do travel to see family sometimes and they are old timers that dont have wifi, and I dont pay extra on my phone to make it a hotspot. So the Xbox1 would not work for me.

Sounds like you are in total love with Microsoft, and no matter what they do, you will be a fan. Enjoy…

#72 1 year ago
  73. harr0w

I think in my opinion Dave cook hit the nail on the head with the brand loyalty. Yes there will be that slew of gamers that adopt PS4 as there console of choice because of the pricing/Sony love and general disappointment.

That said there will always be that hardcore fan base who have since the beginnings of the Xbox brand built up these friendships, have fallen In love with franchises such as halo, gears of war, forza as well as spending thousands of hours working on there gamerscore and rep.

This story is just the same for Sony’s hardcore fanbase with its trophies, friends, gran torismo, GOW, killzones.

So pricing, DRM’s, online checking may push a percentage of gamers away from XB1 but it would be the same if the shoe was on Sony’s foot but that goes without saying gamers are not stupid but they are loyal.

In the end games will do the talking and the fanbase will follow.

#73 1 year ago
  74. Samoan Spider

@71 Ok, as if by magic, I was just speaking with one of my techs. That’s an auto-mechanical tech and not a tech-savvy individual. Anyway, he’s an MS fan. Always has been. I just showed him the Ryse trailer and a couple of others having one of those “mate you have to see whats coming out” type conversations. We then got onto the finer points of the 2 systems. He’s outright dismissed the PS4 because that’s the kind of fan he is. But I say, “just be mindful you have to go online every 24 hours” and I didn’t really expect much from him and I backed it up with “and I’m not much bothered by that”. He surprised me by saying “well that’s me fucked then I don’t have an internet connection, I go round my mates to play when I want to”. So there you are, anecdotal evidence that genuine MS fanboys are going to find it tough to reconcile that particular choice of DRM. I know you’ll be fine, but there are plenty of people who keep an xbox at the girlfriends place, or at a part time place of residence who will be excluded from the console as a result.
    Anyway, this is purely anecdotal as I said, so there’s no ‘other side’ to this so feel free to keep any disagreement to yourself.

#74 1 year ago
  75. Maguire82

@72 I’m not a fan of any one in the tech world I just love tech and I love console wars the bigger the better it pushes these companies to offer us better experiences. I’ve got issues with sony due to other sony products I own sony products just don’t work together like they should.

#75 1 year ago
  76. noamlol2

“On Monday both Sony and Microsoft whipped out their shiny next-generation dicks and displayed them so we in the gaming press could compare sizes”

LOLZ

#76 1 year ago
  77. OlderGamer

Well, I laid down my money on a new PS4 today. I will not be preordering X1.

#77 1 year ago
  78. illuminatusv

I have to decide on which console I do Multiplayer because no way I will pay subscriptions for both online services. I will buy both consoles anyway. The always-on issue isn’t an issue for me, and the used-game topic isn’t as simple as it seems. I have read all information carefully and as I understand it to this point on the XBox One you will even able to trade in Digital-Only releases. Something that is not possible on any console to this moment or the PS4. So in terms of games my future gaming is as follows: Digital releases and Multiplayer I will play one the XBox One, Mainly Single Player games I will play on a Playstation 4.

About the $100 canyon. If you compare unbiased the difference in price is not $100 but $40 because of the camera. Also besides of that the XBox One delivers one thing that will be also convenient to me with the HDMI-passtrough where I maybe have the opportunity to connect my Sky receiver. I am sure this will be available even in Europe (I know not at launch, but I don’t buy the console directly at launch)

#78 1 year ago
  79. Cort

Don’t be so sure about the influence of price points. The PS3 has always been more expensive than the 360, yet has sold more.

The 100 buck difference won’t mean much. People will pay for what they want. It isn’t the number of greenbacks required that MS should be worried about….

#79 1 year ago
  80. Gigabomber

I switched from Sony about 3 years ago to pay with family and have never looked back. The kinect is great for voice commands and it is really great not to have to fumble around for a controller in the dark. Sony has done such a bad job over the last gen that I am still in shock that so many fanboys exist from their old ps2 carry-over camp: maybe they never tried the 360?

#80 1 year ago