Oculus Rift: upgraded 1080p HD model shown at E3

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 11:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Oculus has unveiled the newly-enhanced version of its Rift headsets at E3. The head-mounted device now displays at 1080p, making everything seem that little bit sharper.

The Verge went hands-on (heads-on?) with the new device on the E3 show floor, and confirmed that the upgrade was made possible by switching out the old headset’s re-purposed mobile phone screens with newer, sharper models.

Combined, the old screens resulted in 1280Ɨ800 resolution, while the new tech delivers a combined resolution of 1920 x 1080, which is 960 x 1080 per eye.

PCGamesN adds that the headset is still at prototype stage with no release date or dev kit launch confirmed. Oculus also showed off virtual cinema tech that makes it look like you’re watching movies in a theatre – rows of seats and all. Still no word on that sticky floor simulator though.

What do you think of Oculus Rift so far? Let us know below.

1. Samoan Spider

Amazing! But I can see anything more than 30 mins in this being a proper head fuck. For that sticky floor feeling, buy some carpet and soak in coke, sprinkle on some crushed pop corn and voila! For added realism, bring some kids into the room and have them play with their mobiles and chat the whole way through :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. RandomTiger

Worth understanding that 1080 viewed in an Oculus wont feel like a 1080 experience comparable with a screen. Your eyes look straight forward into what is a fairly small number of pixels. Still resolution is an issue that in time will be fixed, the tech itself gives a very compelling experience.

My longest stretch has been an hour of half life 2 which was amazing but I was dizzy after stopping.

#2 1 year ago
  3. jevonski

I’m just worried about my monocular vision and if it’ll work as I can’t watch 3D movies either.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

Excellent!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Maximov

I’m not sure I would want to take them off, at all. Maybe just to change to oculus rift 2. This world bores me.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Night Hunter

Just think about playing Mirror’s Edge 2 with this. So many players would just puke their guts out after 5 seconds …

#6 1 year ago
  7. SolomanAu

i have been waiting for so long for VR to become a reality….from nintendo having a crack to the other pc headsets that were heavy as fuck. This looks sweet and i have backed it and can’t wait until we get our hands on the final product!!! sweet!!

#7 1 year ago
  8. jamesx

Hope it is not heavy. NVidia 3D Glasses are already heavy enough.

#8 1 year ago