No Internet? Get an Xbox 360, says Microsoft

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 03:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If you haven’t got access to Internet so the Xbox One can phone home once a day – because you’re in the military, or live in one of the millions of cities worldwide where Internet just isn’t that great – you can just buy an Xbox 360, one Microsoft executive has said.

Speaking to GameTrailers, Xbox’s Don Mattrick dropped a quote which I would almost describe as “tasty flamebait”.

“We have a product for people who aren’t able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” he said.

“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

“I think in the long run, we’ll build a global leading product that people are going to love and embrace,” he said.

“It’s very important to them and they’re opinionated. And they’re smart. So they look at all those things and say ‘Hey, is this going to impact me in a negative way?’ And until you use it, it’s really hard to understand what all the advantages are.”

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Crussong

Not good, Don… i can see the backfire and shitstorm starting in 3,2,1…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Bam007

Tom Cruise, I hate you more than ever.

#2 1 year ago
  3. splashofartstudios

The nerve of this bastard….

#3 1 year ago
  4. TMRNetShark

MS press team: “Fuck consumers… we are all about games but not really… we just want your money!” *shoots little old lady*

“Your going to take that because we said so… buy Xbone!”

#4 1 year ago
  5. vOL

Good lord..another One.. *sit on table with steak and wine*

#5 1 year ago
  6. machy

actually it’s call PS4 #dealwithit

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ireland Michael

Any company who thinks they can tell consumers what to do is an idiot.

#7 1 year ago
  8. CL4P-TP

no microsoft i wont be gettin the 360 cuz i sometimes dont have internet. ill be getting a ps4

#8 1 year ago
  9. ivycrew707

Dying to see consumer reaction of the people who don’t actually read game sites or parents with kids who just dont know or pay attention to these kinds of this…..on another note….what actually happens if it dosen’t connect once a day?…won’t work for how long? I’ve been reading all day and have yet to hear the consequence of it not connecting

#9 1 year ago
  10. DeVitowned

To steal a slogan from McDonalds: I’m Lovin’ It!

#10 1 year ago
  11. Bomba Luigi

Da fuq? Of course I have Internet, its obvious, but when I see someone punch some poor Guy in the Face I still think that Guy is an Asshole.

I mean, comon, don’t you think you have enough bad Press? Did you relly thought this Statemant will not turn out in Bad Press? What the Hell is wrong with Microsoft?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Crussong

Some people over at Microsoft really need to get a lecture of how to deal with the customers with the money, that they intend to get. It all started with that Twitter guy (“Deal with it”), the bad console reveal, bad information politics, half-assed E3 conference and now another quote that will backfire at Microsoft..

#12 1 year ago
  13. JamesJAB

Well, I guess the next time I deploy it’ll be a hard choice which system to take with… and it’s not gonna be the Xbox360.
    Thank you for following the established rules of product ownership Sony!

#13 1 year ago
  14. oddeye

Let’s be honest here, the Xbox One is targeted at the mainstream audience. The hardcore gamer can be mad all they want, but the statistics that I’m sure Microsoft is tracking says who their biggest audience is and they are marketing towards them. I’m sure they are seeing the same thing I am when I look at my friends list and 90 percent of them are always on Netflix or playing one of three games: Halo, Call of Duty, or Madden. The always on thing is just a way for them to make sure they are making money and also their partners.

Sony appears to be catering to the hardcore gamer and winning over gaming sites and such, but which group of customers is larger, the hardcore gamer or mainstream?

#14 1 year ago
  15. SlayerGT

I’m starting to think by the end of the week we still won’t have an answer to, “Why does the machine HAVE to be online?” How does it benefit anything? Can anyone answer that? What positive does it enable? Because being able to sit my lazy ass on the couch without getting up to switch discs is the only reason I’ve come up with so far.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Star

hmm will i get a ps4 or a 360?

360!!!!

not.

#16 1 year ago
  17. salarta

No Xbox 360? Get a PS4!

“Mattrick said that Xbox One has been “created for gamers, by gamers” and that commentators need to see how the always-on requirement works before they judge it.”

HAHAHA wow. He has to be trolling, because that’s such a load of shit. Gamers would never create a system that actively punishes them for not being able to connect to the internet and threatens to make their purchases worthless 20-30 years down the line.

@14: The difference is that what you’re seeing out of the Xbox 360, is activity generated by people that play games, not general consumers. As in, it’s activity generated by a consumer base that now has a great majority of it siding with Sony and the PS4.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is trying desperately to capture an audience outside the group they’re essentially kicking to the curb (while having the audacity to pretend they’re catering to that same group) by offering a bunch of features that are either completely useless or easily achieved and in much better form with the devices people already have. Why do you need to be able to shout “XBOX GO TO IMDB” then painstakingly navigate on the screen, while also possibly detracting from everyone else enjoying what’s on screen themselves, to find information when you can use a cell phone or laptop to look it up and keep the screen content at full size? Who would realistically use Skype regularly in the living room, instead of at a computer desk as it has been traditionally used?

As I saw one journalist put it, XBox One is a solution looking for a problem. And frankly, it’s engineered by and large from a business mindset. The features they present are great features for a business meeting. Voice commands and gestures to navigate? Sure thing. Skype in to talk with a branch of the company while looking over a recent video or game or advertisement? That works too. It’s a business solution, not a consumer entertainment solution.

#17 1 year ago
  18. G1GAHURTZ

What a stupid thing to say…

#18 1 year ago
  19. Metroid455

THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!
    that is all.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Trollin4Noobs

I have both consoles pre-ordered, but after seeing this I feel like I need to cancel my Xbox one. What a bunch of conceited assholes. Seriously

#20 1 year ago
  21. oddeye

After re-watching the Microsoft E3 press conference, I realized they mentioned cloud computing in some of the games. Before they mentioned putting up 300,000 servers or something to support Xbox One. I’m guessing that the always online thing applies because their system is gear towards cloud computing for some of the power. The demo for Forza talked about the cloud creating a driver based on your performance and can run when you are offline.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Cobra951

Oh, come on. That’s so insultingly out of touch with the customer base that it just HAS to be a joke. Right? Can they really be that stupid?

#22 1 year ago
  23. modeutn

Get a Degree in Graphic Design,Call 888-986-1871

#23 1 year ago
  24. NeutralBlade

Mattrick said that Xbox One has been “created for gamers, by gamers”.

Recently, MS also called themselves the “leaders” of privacy. So being the first and most cooperative corporation to assist the NSA with spying on Americans, makes you the leaders of privacy?

You can’t believe a word MS says these days, as it’s all bs. I have a 360, and won’t buy the Xbox One ever. As it currently stands, it’s been designed to betray us from day one. And in the future if Microsoft changes policy, then decides to go back to the same DRM stance after they’re satisfied with their install base, their console has everything it needs built in, to do just that.

And last, why would I want daily monitoring on my console? I’m a grown-ass man, and I don’t need anyone or any thing constantly watching over me. Sorry MS, but I’m not returning to you next-gen. I’ll keep my 360, but existing, non-restrictive support all you’ll get from me.

#24 1 year ago
  25. bugmenot

Someone asked what the consequences of not being online are. It’s been mentioned even on mainstream news sites that you have 24 hours to reconnect, otherwise you get locked out.

This news makes me so happy. I’ve always despised and hated the XBox and 360. This box of crap invaded and cheated it’s way through the market by catering to the typical American “All I ever play is FPS games” PC gamer, stifling the potential of the Nintendo and Sony consoles which were more innovative/had far better hardware.

Good riddance.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Mike W

I can’t believe he would say something like that…..:(

#26 1 year ago
  27. redwood

get you head out of your ass don! it’s not a hat.

#27 1 year ago
  28. WENDiGO

When i’m at gamestop to get a PS4 at launch and I see some of the mainstream people buying an xbox one i’m gonna think to myself (not directly related btw): There’s two spaceships. And you chose to get on the one (xbox) that’s gonna take you to the moon where great astronauts (360) once stood and then come back to earth rather than getting on the spaceship (PS4) that’s gonna take you around the universe to explore the other planets and learn more about our galaxy to better increase our knowledge on earth…sounds like destiny right lol.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Citrus raptor

Haha, qotd! You go Mattrick!
    /the internet elitist.

#29 1 year ago
  30. polygem

ouch. this is just insane…seriously, not finding words for this anymore. can’t they just stop commenting on it please.

#8+1

#14: but will the mainstream pay 500 dollar for that? i doubt it. they need the gamers too, to make this thing succesfull. they can’t afford to lose them but it looks like they do…some are complaining now but will still suck it up and buy a one anyway though. we’ll see how sales turn out. i wont buy xboxone that’s for sure and i bought about what?…a 100 xbox360 branded products this gen. probably even more. they’ve just completely lost me.

#30 1 year ago
  31. redwood

don! there IS another machine that i can get if I don’t trust my ISP with a stable internet connection..

#31 1 year ago
  32. Gigabomber

History shows that the ps4 will be less user friendly than the xbox one, poor quotes not withstanding.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Phoenixblight

Butt-hurt much?

#33 1 year ago
  34. sithsylar

Here it is….

#34 1 year ago
  35. TheBlackHole

All your games are stored in the cloud and digitally on your Xbox, so you could go a friends house and play one of your games that he doesn’t own instantly.

I think that’s one of the main benefits.

Also, multiple family members can access your digital games library from anywhere, so you can share games with them without having to lend then discs. (this is different to the lend it to your friends scheme).

I think that’s the benefit, other than not disc swapping.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Phoenixblight

There wouldn’t be any disc swapping as both systems are using Blu ray discs.

Only reason why there was disc swapping the 360 this gen is because of MS being so adamant about the HD DVD.

Also the disc is pointless after installation once it is used the license is used. You go to a friends house you will still have to download that which if you have slow ass internet that will take a long time to download the full game.

#36 1 year ago
  37. The_Red

While he didn’t say it exactly like that, the message was EXACTLY that. In that case, I’ll have to respectfully disagree and ask Mr Mattrick to go fuck himself.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Ireland Michael

@35 Nowhere has it been stated that your games could be played “instantly”. Certainly not without a disc, which if you have defeats to necessity of being connecting anyway.

“Also, multiple family members can access your digital games library from anywhere, so you can share games with them without having to lend then discs.”

This has not be stated either. They simply said your “family” could play your games. They never said they could do it from another machine.

“I think that’s the benefit.”

And they could still do all that without *requiring* you to check in every 24 hours / 1 hour.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Phoenixblight

“Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One . Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.”

#39 1 year ago
  40. Ireland Michael

Huh. So it does.

I’ll believe it when I see it in action.

#40 1 year ago
  41. backup

LMAO
    No internet get 360
    No Money get PC so that u can kill gaming industry through torrents

#41 1 year ago
  42. xxJPRACERxx

Ok, I don’t really care about all this DRM but I just can’t stand an arrogant bastard that is full of shit like this. Another One of these and MS won’t get my $, that’s for sure!

#42 1 year ago
  43. Puggy

Well, I would let that quote pass, if I could play the XboxOne games on my XBox 360. Admitting, why would anyone want to buy the new Xbox, if the old one can play it anyway.
    So, I guess if I want to play next Gen games, I need a next gen console (or a the one after next gen PC to emulate the console). Thus the sentence should be: “Don’t want to be always online? Get a PS4.”

Hehe, this is like the general channel in most new MMOs: “Don’t like the game? Go back to WoW N00b!” Alright, people leave back to WoW, new game stutters, goes free 2 play, closes. :D

#43 1 year ago
  44. TheBlackHole

@40 Lol can’t even praise a feature when it says it in black and white.

thanks @39

#44 1 year ago
  45. MadFlavour

It’s shocking to me quite how out of touch with reality Miro$oft are.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Ireland Michael

@44 If its true to form, I will gladly praise it for its generosity.

But it doesn’t require DRM to function.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Joe Anderson

@39 you need to download it first and you need the disc. .

#47 1 year ago
  48. Joe Anderson

Also that’s referring to one console. If you go to a friends house you need the disc to install the game and you must check in every hour. When you leave your friend cannot play. This has all been clearly explained.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Phoenixblight

The disc is not needed. Once you install the game via disc you can use for a coaster for all that it matters. When bringing to friends, I can see it being used to install so you don’t have to download 10+GB of data but you will need to log in to verify you do in fact own the game.

#49 1 year ago
  50. manamana

Yes, Microsoft, let it all out! Relief yourself and make yourself comfortable. You will sell enough to the masses and you know that. Because in reality all those gaming-sites and forumites are the minority.

Boy am I glad that they have no exclusives that attract me. I’m so happy with my decision. No.more.microsoft.

#50 1 year ago
  51. TheBlackHole

No, were talking about the family shared games system, not friends. Very different.

#51 1 year ago
  52. manamana

“Hey, is this going to impact me in a negative way?” YES!

#52 1 year ago
  53. Digital Bamboo

Well, there goes any slim chance that I might actually pick up a cheap 360 some day for the exclusives, because they had to be dicks about it.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Beta

…It’s like they’re completely out of touch.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Ekona

#55 1 year ago
  56. NiceFellow

Or maybe a second job? OMG – third console curse right down to quotes almost designed to annoy dedicated gamers. Damn.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Beta

@55 The point is he shouldn’t be addressing the 24hr online restriction at all. Because it shouldn’t exist.

This is tantamount to saying “Oh you have bad/no internet? No next gen for you then.”

#57 1 year ago
  58. mistermogul

“created for gamers, by gamers”

If this were the case surely there would be no 24 hour reporting to the mothership, spying Kinect or anti-consumer used game policies?

#58 1 year ago
  59. CycloneFox

“No Internet? Get a PS4″, says everybody else.

#59 1 year ago
  60. mistermogul

@59 – nice!

#60 1 year ago
  61. Samoan Spider

@59 At the risk of taking a flame for this, it hasn’t gone unnoticed that “No Internet? Get a PS4, says everybody else *on the internet*”

#61 1 year ago
  62. SplatteredHouse

I think the timing of the interview (it was filmed during rehearsals the previous day) is interesting, in that this is not a response to their conference, and the reaction it received. This is instead, just a CMOA from Microsoft.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Ekona

@57: It shouldn’t exist in yours (and a vocal amount of others, granted) opinion. For many other people, it’s irrelevant.

@61: :D

#63 1 year ago
  64. orakaa

Apparently, according to Spike, Microsoft is trying to get the video deleted… oh hello Streisand effect

#64 1 year ago
  65. CyberMarco

Nailed it!

@orakaa

Damage control anyone?

#65 1 year ago
  66. monkeygourmet

#66 1 year ago
  67. SplatteredHouse

and…It’s gone! edit: temporarily.

#67 1 year ago
  68. Samoan Spider

@67 I wonder how much that cost them. But this is the internet, nothing is ever ‘gone‘!

#68 1 year ago
  69. manamana

@CyberMarco you can hardly imagine how I sprayed my drink from laughing to this! Absolutely awesome, thanks! :-D

#69 1 year ago
  70. polygem

@66: made my day!

#70 1 year ago
  71. Digital Bamboo

@55 People are upset because of how he said it. The whole thing just sounded sarcastic, dismissive, and dickish. There is absolutely no reason why he had to say it the way he did, he could’ve approached it with a great deal more tact and courtesy to his potential customers.

As for how he could have said it better, try this:

We understand that some people simply do not have the reliable internet connection that the Xbox One requires, but still want access to the great games that Microsoft can offer. We want to assure those individuals that we are committed to supporting the Xbox 360 for many years to come. There has never been a better time to own a 360. It’s a wonderful system with a huge selection of games that do not require an internet connection. We will be annoucning exciting new bundles and a significant price cut for the Xbox 360 in the coming weeks.

#71 1 year ago
  72. karma

OMG, haha. Wow! He actually said that? Unbelievable.

#55: “What else was he supposed to say? Promote a competitor, or promote his own device, albeit one that’s soon to be out of date?

I can see why people are jumping on this bandwagon, but if someone can think of something better for him to have said on the subject I’m all ears.”

If they’d listened to what gamers want instead of their inner greed, he wouldn’t have had to even answer this question in the first place.

#72 1 year ago
  73. oreogod

No Internet? Get a PS4!, says Microsoft

#73 1 year ago
  74. Kuwabara

Wow the douche don mattrick getting agitated lol. If he looks a fool, he is one.

#74 1 year ago
  75. Lengendaryboss

So people have to remain backwards instead of forward?

#75 1 year ago
  76. viralshag

In fairness, I think if you didn’t have the internet you’d be missing out on a lot of great things the next gen has to offer. That applies to both consoles, I mean that writes off games like Destiny, Titanfall and The Crew.

The focus next gen is clearly connecting gamers and technology. Bigger games with consistent worlds, much more tablet integration, the play and share features… being offline and owning a next gen console, to me at least, seems like a pointless exercise.

#76 1 year ago
  77. zinc

I think that the constant focus on online will be detrimental for gaming.

Already people are choosing between Titanfall and Destiny, just like they chose between CoD & Battlefield.

And its not becauae their similar, iys because people just do don’t feel they have the time for more than 2-3 online games.

#77 1 year ago
  78. viralshag

@77, They’re very different games though. One being co-op and the other being competitive. Also with the game switching I can see myself looking for a MP game in Titanfall while playing Destiny and then just hopping back and forth. :D

#78 1 year ago