Mirror’s Edge reboot is an “open-world action adventure game”

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 20:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Mirror’s Edge reboot is an “open-world action adventure game” according to EA Labels president Frank Gibeau.

Speaking during an E3 2013 analyst call, Gibeau also said the firm plans to release 11 HD and 14 mobile games during fiscal year 2014, and the rate of releases “will increase going forward as ‘Gen 4′ continues to expand and grow”.

“There are probably about five or six new IPs that are fully owned and we haven’t announced yet,” he said. “Mirror’s Edge, a cult, classic great fan reaction at the show. We’re bringing Faith back in this open-world action adventure game.”

Mirror’s Edge was announced as in the works at the end of EA’s E3 press conference, but no word was provided on a release.

EA never even really anything on the game, just “this is what you asked for.”

Fans of the game have been asking for Mirror’s Edge 2 for ages, and so far, the trailer for it only describes it as ” the return of the critically acclaimed first-person action adventure game from DICE – experience the origin story of Faith and delve deeper into the inner workings of the city and the world around it.”

So it’s either a reboot of the first one, and extended revamped version or Mirror’s Edge 2.

Mirror’s Edge is in early stages of development for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Thanks, CVG.

1. Eddie Rodrigues

Re… boot?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Yes as in revamp, redoing, restart, re-releasing again but prettier. They need to be clear about it though. Like crystal clear as to what it really is.

#2 1 year ago
  3. JavelinX

Day one? Day fuckin’ one!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

“open-world action adventure game”

On the Frostbyte 3.

Oh my gawd!1111

#4 1 year ago
  5. Neuromancer

DO WANT !!!

#5 1 year ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

@2, so its not a sequel? I’m confused…?!?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

I like the idea of a reboot or a re-envisioning and I’m in either way. Loved ME! Still play it from time to time.

#7 1 year ago
  8. TheWulf

I was a big fan of Mirror’s Edge and I’m a little worried about this, to be honest. I hope this isn’t “We simplified it and made it open world in order to compete with the Creed of Asses.” because that would be awful. It isn’t third-person though, which makes me hopeful, and if they keep the complexity of the parkour then I’m most assuredly in.

I loved Mirror’s Edge. Not for the combat, or even the story, but for the free-running parkour. I’ve not seen a game that does it remotely as well. And if anyone mentions AssCreed to me, I’ll slap them. AssCreed is a pale imitation of the thrills and excitement provided by the feel of the parkour in Mirror’s Edge.

Plus, unlike AssCreed, it actually mattered to optimise your runs, and there was stuff there to be optimised. Your ability to react to the environment mattered, spatial awareness mattered, reaction times mattered.

Please, please, please don’t try to be AssCreed, Mirror’s Edge 2. I beg of you. Just be what you are – the best damn parkour game out there.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

I also hope they hired a better writer for this game. I hated ME’s characters and story.

#9 1 year ago
  10. xBASSxMONSTAx

Please be on PS4.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Eddie Rodrigues

@2 I guess it is safer than doing an actual sequel. I just hope they don’t play like Nintendo and make 400 thousand sequels with barely no connection to each other.

@8 Shush up, please.

#11 1 year ago
  12. KineticCalvaria

@11, it is.

#12 1 year ago
  13. powerbuoy

@9 +1

#13 1 year ago
  14. KineticCalvaria

Right well the games a prequel not a remake. Wheres this nonsense come from ? Lol.

#14 1 year ago
  15. hitnrun

A darker, edgier re-envisioning of the resonant Mirror’s Edge universe, Mirror’s Edge: Reboot will feature an interpretation of the property with less red.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Sylrissa

It’s a video game news website, and you think calling someone a nerd is an insult?

#16 1 year ago
  17. YoungZer0

@18: Don’t bother. Da Man barely has time to play videogames anymore, trolling and insulting is his raison d’être.

Nerds like us disgust him, that’s why he stays here … I guess.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Crussong

Not sure if valid or not, found this on Reddit:

#18 1 year ago
  19. Gheritt White

He’s quite funny though.

#19 1 year ago
  20. yeoung

Pretty freakin ecstatic it’s coming to PS4, for a while there I thought it’d be an Xbox One exclusive.

ME was part awesome, part infuriating, but I’d very much like to run around in its world again.

#20 1 year ago
  21. zinc

@22, Funny “ha-ha”?

Funny “weirdo”?

or Funny “I’m English & far too polite to call him an irritating twat we’re used to”?

#21 1 year ago
  22. sh4dow

Open-world could be really awesome but… they could also lose all fans of the original Mirror’s Edge.

Although I bet they assume that all the fans are going to preorder anyway, so they can really do pretty much anything. If they alienate the whole fan base of the original while stilling getting their money AND attracting a vast mainstream crowd, it would only increase their profits, after all.

#22 1 year ago
  23. ps3fanboy

its gonna be open-world, oh my god, this is gonna be awesome!

#23 1 year ago