Bayonetta 2 is all about pressure and relief

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 02:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Bayonetta 2 producer Atsushi Inaba has said Platinum Games hopes the sequel will give players a feeling of euphoria when they perform devastating attacks.

In the video below, Inaba discusses what he thinks made Bayonetta the “pinnacle of action games” and how Platinum has built on the Climax system for the sequel. He also chats briefly about her new haircut; apparently Bayonetta made the decision herself.

Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive due in 2014.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. Francis O

Bayonetta 2 and Monolith Soft’s X were the two best games at E3 in my opinion. Such a breath of fresh air. And it’s amazing to see how they redesigned Bayonetta. She looks so sexy with short hair.

And there’s co-op! Man 2014 is going to be awesome with this game.

2. Sylrissa

I love my 3DS but I never had any interest in the Wii or the WiiU, but with Super smash bros and this, I might get a WiiU after all when Bayonetta 2 comes out next year.

3. Francis O

Every system needs time to build a library. The PS3 and Xbox 360 didn’t have much in the their first or even second year on the market.

Give the Wii U time to build a library. The 3DS was in the same situation the Wii U was in and look at it now. It only takes a few titles to get the ball rolling.

4. salarta

I think changing Bayonetta’s hair was still the team wanting to change her look badly then telling themselves it’s what would have fit the character all along, but hey, as the creators of the IP it’s their decision. I just don’t like it at all and hope a costume with her old hair is available and early on.

It seemed like there was a lot of sexual innuendo to both terminology and remarks Inaba made, but that’s to be expected. Unlike the false accusations made by some people about other characters, Bayonetta was actually made with being excessively sexual as an intentional design direction.

If the game pad bits they showed are the way of playing with the stylus… it looks bad for Bayonetta. It looks like something they had to throw in or felt like they had to throw in that doesn’t fit. Bayonetta’s about intense action with lots of movement and button-pressing… and then the gamepad comes along and all you do is hold it down on the monster to attack?

So far, it’s only Bayonetta 2 and Monolithsoft’s game, with a big maybe for Super Smash Bros, for reasons to get a Wii U. That’s a shitload better than the Wii where there was a whole lot of nothing each year, but I still feel like I should wait until there’s a couple more games I know I’ll want to play.

5. MisterNobody

Actually, the staff that worked on Bayonetta has (in interviews I’ve read over the years) a great love of her design. They enjoy that the character has resonated very strongly with female gamers, as almost half of the team involved in the original game were women (including the character designer and lead artist, who wanted Bayonetta to be “beautiful like a foreign, exotic supermodel”).

I think the “redesign” going on might be indicative of some sort of parallel timeline or something. The plot to Bayonetta was pretty insistent that Bayonetta (and Umbra witches in general) lives a cyclical life, becoming an ouroboros-like figure, mothering herself in the future and past to keep alive indefinitely.

This might be some sort of future or alternative timeline where she and Jean have switched a lot of their personality and looks.

Or; they’re just super-best friends now and have exchanged wardrobes!

Such a silly series! The footage of Bayonetta 2 really made an otherwise dreary, tedious E3 fun.

6. The_Red

I kinda hated the new Bayo hair at first but after seeing the footage, I’m sold.

Seeing a game like Bayonetta 2 during the super clean / happy / family friendly Nintendo Direct felt really odd though :)