Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag stars an Abstergo researcher

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 03:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ubisoft has confirmed that an Abstergo employee is the meta-star of Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag.

Speaking to VG247 at E3 2013, game director Ashraf Ismael said former Assassin’s Creed meta-protagonist Desmond Miles has been replaced by an Abstergo researcher.

Unlike Desmond’s gameplay sequences in past games, Black Flag will be played from first-person during the present day sections.

It’s not clear whether these sections will be purely story focused or, like Assassin’s Creed: Revelations first-person sequences, contain puzzle platforming.

Assassin’s Creed 3 ended the story of Desmond Miles which drove the series to that point.

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag is due on PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360 in later October and early November, with PlayStation 4 and Xbox one versions due, you know, whenever that happens.

1. FrankWhite

ughhh, i’m immediately less interested. i actually suspected as much, given the nature of the final bits of AC3, but i was hoping to follow the events of the other assassin characters, rather than more abstergo content. ubi seems to really be into developing the entire abstergo company lore, which i don’t really find interesting.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Crussong

I wonder how that will turn out, since the present day-guy needs to be somehow connected to Edward/Haytham/Connor/Ezio/Altair trough the animus (?).
    And when it is set exactly, since.. you know.. the way AC III ended.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Yoshi

‘due on PV’ lol what? *PC

#3 11 months ago
  4. Brenna Hillier

@3 thanks for the spot, be nicer about it

#4 11 months ago
  5. salarta

@4: Clearly you meant PPV, the game’s due out on Pay Per View any day now! :D

#5 11 months ago
  6. Yoshi

@4 :O I wasn’t being harsh XD I’ve seen people on here be a lot harsher than that. I just made it into a joke. SMILE :)

#6 11 months ago
  7. backup

Ubi needs to stop AC series

#7 11 months ago
  8. anik_lc

RIP Desmond Miles. Thanks for saving us from the destruction of the world on December 21, 2012.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Samoan Spider

@1 I personally quite like that lore they are building. It even tickled me when I was wandering around the Abstergo facility in FarCry 3. I think they need to broaden it a little though. Perhaps make them more of an ever-present threat than they have been so far. AC3 started to do this so I reckon that’s the way they’re headed.

I’m quite looking forward to the game though. Pirates + AC is a win for me.

#9 11 months ago
  10. TheWulf

The problem with that is that it’s just smoke and mirrors. There is no lore, really. It’s five or ten minutes of stuff here or there, to provide a backbone to their HISTORICALLY ACCURATE games. That’s the pity about it, without the HISTORICALLY ACCURATE parts, it could have been interesting. I suppose the reverse is true, too. Without the assassins, the animus, or the terrible combat, Black Flag could have been something.

It’s just that they smooshed it all together into one, giant catch-all. That’s why it doesn’t appeal to me. It feels far too much like prolefeed, it’s so unfocused that every part of it feels completely insubstantial. What is Assassin’s Creed? What the hell is the story or point of it supposed to be? I don’t know, and I doubt you do, either.

The fact of the matter is is that they tried to go with such a broad, wide base of mainstream appeal (lowest common denominator et al) that they just don’t know what they’re doing with it any more. And they’re hoping that marketing will sell each new game. I can see the potential (and there is so much) for brilliant games within the pieces of Assassin’s Creed, but… when you throw it all together? Gah.

For example…

Strip out the HISTORICALLY ACCURATE, create a game about pirates with mystical super-powers (as everyone in Assassin’s Creed has them anyway) that follows a very alternate history. Throw in ship battles with that, and take away the sci-fi stuff. Then you have enough focus for something great.

Or take away the SECRET PAST stuff all together and have it set in the future, embrace the sci-fi nature of it and have it be about discovering the technology of an ancient race whilst trying to keep steps ahead of an organisation that also wishes to possess it, for different motivations. That could also be interesting.

And just get rid of that bloody combat and the assassin nonsense.

There’s promise there. There is. But they’re bloody ruining it, ruining it all the time. Those bloody idiots.

#10 11 months ago
  11. noamlol2

so they’ll make less modern day plot then usual?
    wow ubisoft, how low can you go….

#11 9 months ago