Xbox Live: Microsoft explains switch from MS Points to real currency

Tuesday, 11th June 2013 13:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft will begin phasing out its MS Points system later this year in favour of real currency, and the company has published a handy guide to let us know just how it’s all going to play out. The changes will impact both Xbox One and Xbox 360.

The guide was published this morning and explains that your online wallet will display in your local currency and your balance can be used across Xbox 360, Xbox One and the Windows Phone store. You can use it to buy games, movies, music, tv shows and more.

Your existing points will be transferred into your local currency when the switch happens, so you won’t lose anything after the change, and all of your earned Xbox Live Rewards will remain.

For a list of countries that will be making the switch, hit the link above.

Do you think this switch is positive? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Gheritt White

Given the dollar-to-pound/euro conversion of the console itself, I’m not so sure this is such a good thing for non-US gamers.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ps3fanboy

It’s to late mickey$oft, xbots and pc beggars are now buying the PS4!

#2 1 year ago
  3. mistermogul

Goodbye XBL, hello PSN :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Gnosis

@1 It doesn’t matter. This is actually the case when they used the correct conversion.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Stardog

I’ve never bought anything with points. You can never be sure exactly how much you’re paying.

#5 1 year ago
  6. backup

stop trying to act oversmart and copying my statements

#6 1 year ago
  7. xBASSxMONSTAx

Who honestly cares now? Sony has won me over and I have been with Xbox for over 6 years

#7 1 year ago
  8. harr0w

You would think they would be in damage control today after the PS4 used game/pricing announcement. Strange? or is it arrogance hmmm.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Cobra951

Maybe I’ll finally get to use the 25 cents that I’ve had stuck in my account forever?

#9 1 year ago
  10. xXNapsterManXx

@8 I still hold hope they will announce a cheaper version with subscription, the only thing that stood out to me at the Sony event was the price.

It is interesting though that the PS4 is $550AUD here in Australia and Xbox One is $600 meaning the PS4 Is 150$ more then US while XBone is only $100 more then US.

#10 1 year ago