PlayStation Plus required for multiplayer on PS4 games

Tuesday, 11th June 2013 03:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

That is the only caveat we’ve heard so far. Stay tuned for full quote. Upon launch of the PS4, PS Plus members will get access to Drive Club, free. So while you will have to have a Plus membership for multiplayer – you will still be getting free games.

With a single PS Plus membership, users can continue to enjoy the benefits across PS4, PS3, and PS Vita systems.

The Instant Game Collection will extend to PS4 along with online gameplay.
In addition, one digital title will be rotated each month, including three of the new digital games introduced during the PlayStation E3 press conference: Don’t Starve, Outlast, and Secret Ponchos.

These three titles will be available at no extra cost via the Instant Game Collection during the first year following the launch of the PS4 system.

PS Plus members will be able to use online multiplayer, broadcast and spectate games, cross-game voice chat, and the ability to “seamlessly join a friend’s online game,” all through Plus.

Users will still be able to play all single-player games as well as use all media services without subscribing to PS Plus.

PS Plus membership can be purchased through PlayStation Store and is available as a one-year membership for $49.99.

A three-month membership for $17.99, and a new a one-month membership option for $9.99.

1. stockops3

from my current PS plus experience there is no way im unsubscribing, and psplus is such good value for consumers.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Peetry

Fine by me

#2 1 year ago
  3. TrickyAudio

Makes sense, and good value

#3 1 year ago
  4. viralshag

All the shit about Live, I expect you all to lose your shit.

I bet we’re going to see a lot of “oh it’s not so bad”.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Christopher Jack

/cries.
    Oh well, I still feel as I’d get better value from PS+ than Gold.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

Well, I’ll just stick to single player games, from now on.

#6 1 year ago
  7. CyberMarco

@viralshag

Nice of you trying so hard to find flaws on the PS4, keep trying pal!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gama_888

i feel like its a bit of a stab in the back.

not really a stab i guess more of a poke with something pointy.

but ps+ is amazing value, and there giving everyone drive club which looks amazing.

plus, we dont really have any other option now apart from move to pc

#8 1 year ago
  9. yeoung

Hmm, already a plus member, don’t know how non-plus members will react to this restriction. However, if this is the worst news that’s going to come out of this event for Sony, I’m signing on.

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

@7, I’m not finding flaws… Everyone always complained about paying for MP on the Xbox. You’re telling me its suddenly ok? Really?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Fethennour

You sure he said that ? That’s not what I heard.

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

@11, I will be surprised if its true.

#12 1 year ago
  13. POOP CRUSTY

Still cheaper than live. Ah well I’m getting both so I don’t care much for the console war.

#13 1 year ago
  14. woe

viralshag Well said.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Gama_888

@11 he said the opposite.
    it was something along the lines of “you will be able to play your single player games without a ps+ subscription”

if you could play online without ps+ he would of said it right there

#15 1 year ago
  16. CyberMarco

I didn’t say that, personally I can find it as deal-breaking for alot of people, maybe me included in the future. But seeing that I already have PS+, and seeing how much is promising to offer compared to XBL Gold I’m sure it’ll be a better alternative.

Breaking news, PS4 for 399$!!!

#16 1 year ago
  17. Clupula

The only games I play online are fighting games. Until one is announced, I wouldn’t have to worry about anything. Paying to play is silly, no matter who will do it.

On the other hand, he said plus members got early access to BETAs. Early. If you can only go online with PS+, why would they use that word? I don’t recall ever playing a single player BETA for anything.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Fethennour

@15 : That’s what I heard indeed. Thanks.
    399 bucks. Sony just BURIED Micro$oft. End of the story.

#18 1 year ago
  19. WENDiGO

This is the only thing that bothered me. Is it bad? No, i’m just not used to it. Do I like it? No but comparing what both consoles have i’m a little more satisfied with paying for PS+ than paying for gold. I believe he said single player games and something else dealing with entertainment/media features can be used offline. Now sony and microsoft really have something in common on their consoles. Now the battle is straight down to the games and policies.

#19 1 year ago
  20. jevonski

I’m already subbed to ps+ why wouldn’t you get stuff each month and discounts and exclusive themes plus betas, for xbox I get to use apps and play games and chat (oh and now some free outdated games) <.<

#20 1 year ago
  21. Bashtee

Already subscribed to PS+, great value for the price.

#21 1 year ago
  22. manamana

I’m subscribing this very moment. I have to give something back to Sony for not screwing up ;-)

#22 1 year ago
  23. Agt_Pendergast

@15 he actually said something like “be able to fully experience ps4 multiplayers titles” in regards to ps+, whereas he didn’t provide the same feature when discussing psn regular.

#23 1 year ago
  24. killersense

you know what i complained that it was horrible that microsoft charged for online gaming so it was a little bit disappointing to hear about online being tied behind plus but you know of all the worse things i was expecting for next gen this isn’t that bad and i am a plus member till end of next year year anyways because it is great value. PLUS you get Driveclub, and three indie games for free so that in itself pays for the sub.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Tavarish

@10 Overall value of the service is what matters in the end. Xbox Live has shit value as service, but PS+ has very good value according what I have been hearing.

#25 1 year ago
  26. iSh3rlock

I renewed my plus few months ago. still have more than 500 days left in my current subscription.

+ we’ll get free games in every month. so it’s like $5 per month for 5 free game rentals + online + PS3 games we already own can be play on PS4 via cloud.

it’s worth it. hope sony will allow same house hold members (on same system with the plus owner) to play online without needing to subscribe to plus.

xbox GOLD sucks.

#26 1 year ago
  27. CaptPierce

PS Plus has crazy price cuts, lets you save up to 1 GB of save data on the cloud, and gives you free games every month (Uncharted 3, LBP Karting, XCOM: Enemy Unknown) AND a free PS4 game on launch?

It’s like they’re just giving it away honestly.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Digital Bamboo

I don’t play online anyway, so I’m laughing. Even so, sounds like a good deal.

#28 1 year ago
  29. G1GAHURTZ

Bunch of hypocrites.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Ireland Michael

@29 The butt is hurt with this one.

#30 1 year ago
  31. G1GAHURTZ

Really?

Your butt is hurt?

Thanks for sharing.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Lord Gremlin

While I am pissed, I have to admit I’ve been subscribing to Plus for years because I’m paranoid about savegames and cloud saves are a must for me.

#32 1 year ago
  33. G1GAHURTZ

Anyone who ever said that they would never pay for online gaming should refuse to join PS+.

#33 1 year ago
  34. CyberMarco

@33 Oh look, I’m already a PS+ subscribers by my choice, so I can’t see a problem here. (talking from a personal perspective obviously)

#34 1 year ago
  35. G1GAHURTZ

And it was over 40m people’s own choice to pay for XBL…

Just goes to show how dishonest people are. Completely slating a thing, but then claiming not to have a problem with it when their beloved company decides to do it.

Comment #4 is spot on.

#35 1 year ago
  36. CyberMarco

I see your point there and I agree to a certain extent. Still it will piss off a lot of gamers that don’t want to be forced to pay to play online…

#36 1 year ago
  37. G1GAHURTZ

For sure.

I’m thinking about all of the people who said ‘When I buy a game, I expect to be able to play the full game, not have to pay an extra $60 just to access the multiplayer’.

They’re in exactly the same boat now, but strangely enough, no one seems to be too fussed.

If they buy a PS4 and a copy of Destiny, they won’t be able to play it without paying another $60 (annually).

Now me personally, I have absolutely zero problem with that. But certain people around here are showing their true colours.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Ireland Michael

@37 Such as whom?

#38 1 year ago
  39. killersense

@37 you need to dial down down the hypocrisy angle a little. yes it sucks they have tied online gaming to plus but if that is all the bad news they have compared to what the competition is doing going into next gen then you know what so be it. there is one big difference though you can still access netflix and other media service without a plus service and you cant even do that with gold. you get great games for free. i am sorry for a big conference announcement they give AC2!!!? AND HALO 3!!!lol that is some bad promotion.

#39 1 year ago
  40. G1GAHURTZ

^ I didn’t say it was bad news.

Just that it shows people up. They know who they are…

#40 1 year ago
  41. sg1974

G1GA – who is ABSOLUTELY NOT A FANBOI and if you suggest otherwise are a troll or must be an employee of Sony – seems to forget that not every single PS3 owner had a problem with Live fees. But he will spend the next god knows how long attacking every single person who has previously said one positive thing about PS who then says they have no problem with PS+ for MP.

I *do* have a problem with Live fees and I have a problem with this. I’m pissed. Royally. Yes, good news about console price, used games and always-on, but MP fees are a red line for me. I will not be buying a PS4 at launch and will assess my gaming position probably next summer.

Nearly Sony, nearly.

#41 1 year ago
  42. backup

this one thing let me disappointed
    anyways plus gets free games

#42 1 year ago
  43. Lewis247

It’s weird that before this was all announced people were actively encouraging people to sign up for the year, saying how great it was to get those free games and see all the benefits… Why change your opinion?

I’m jumping ship from Xbox to PS4 so I have no worries at all. If anything I’ll be glad to finally pay and see something back from it rather than just to play online.

#43 1 year ago
  44. zoopdeloop

If they buy a PS4 and a copy of Destiny, they won’t be able to play it without paying another $10 for a month(not monthly).Enough time to play the game and judge for themselves if they want to keep going with the subscription + free games (as long as they’re subscribed)

PS+ is on the same track with XBL Gold but there’s a whole difference in value and options

#44 1 year ago
  45. assdan

So here’s the way I see it. First off, PS plus is $10 less a year than XB live gold. So there’s an advantage already. Then we get cloud storage with this. We also get auto update, and betas. That alone arguably pays for it. Then along with that we get instant game collection. I don’t know how much I will play drive club when I get it, but if I am even get 2 or 3 titles like that a year, the money value given to me, will be more than enough to compensate for the $50 loss. Drive club is releasing a $60, so with that one title it more than pays for itself. This is also across three platforms, and I use all of them. Let’s be honest, I think sony decided that they could get away with this because xbox charges more money for fewer features. I don’t know why I cared at first at all though. I bought psplus, and never looked back. There isn’t one person that I know on my friend’s list who bought playstation plus and wasn’t happy with it. Almost all of the people I know who play regularly have it anyways.

#45 1 year ago
  46. CyberMarco

I’m sure you can grab a free 30-days trial somewhere with all the promotions that will be going on.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Ge0force

I already have PS+ for the free games, but this news makes me sad anyway. Online gaming should be free for everyone, PS+ was perfect as it was. If Steam can do online gaming for free, why isn’t it possible on consoles?

#47 1 year ago
  48. Sublimeone

Wait hold on – has this been just implemented into the current playstation ecosystem (pay 2 play)- or will be upon the launch of PS4?

#48 1 year ago
  49. mistermogul

I was looking forward to not having to pay for XBLG but PS+ looks like better value anyway. At least free games are involved!

#49 1 year ago
  50. CyberMarco

I believe only for PS4. Though it sucks to have to pay to play F2P games. Personally I already have PS+ so it doesn’t bother me, but it’s still a problem nevertheless.

#50 1 year ago
  51. polygem

i had a huge problem with live gold and the ads, that´s all. live was/is a great online gaming service and so much better than psn…but the ads have been the first steps into the wrong direction and were totally unacceptable. it was the day i decided not to renew my gold sub. i was a member for many many years and i didn´t have a problem with it. i enjoyed online gaming on xbox. i am a halo player. ads on a paid service are a no go and i do not support stuff like that, halo or not. ps+online is different from day one though because it also gives you value in return if you only are a sp gamer. good that ms follows that model now…that´s at least something. still not paying them anymore to watch ads.

#51 1 year ago
  52. TheBlackHole

Has no-one mentioned that Gold now applies to up to 5 people in the same household, rather than one per user?

Still, this change was inevitable, in light of how much MS have made from XBlive

“The Instant Game Collection will extend to PS4 along with online gameplay.”

Except that your already acquired games won’t work on PS4, will they? A small caveat, that.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Djoenz

I am using psn+ currently but I wont pay in order to play online. Sorry I cant support that. No xbone and no ps4 for me.

#53 1 year ago
  54. noamlol2

#51 i mightly agree

a “premium service” should never have adds
    unless it’s free

#54 1 year ago
  55. Bomba Luigi

Thats stupid, just like it always was with Xbox Live Gold. But when that is the only Bad Thing about PS4, they looking really good.

#55 1 year ago
  56. ieyan

i’m fine with this..just subscribe ps+ last month and i’m happy with it..and free games too :D

#56 1 year ago
  57. reask

How does that work?
    My daughter has gold but I dont.
    What do I need to do?

She is on a separate console.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Hvitdverg

So many people whining about paying to play online?
    I really don’t get it.

Millions of people are OK with it on the Xbox, but so many choose to bitch and cry themselfs a river when Sony does it?

I have no problem paying for PSplus.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Clupula

@53 – I won’t give up on an entire system just for that. You don’t have to play online. I mean, the PS4 games I’m most excited for FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 will most likely be single player experiences. So, there’s no requirement for Plus to play those.

What I might do is when there’s a fighting game I really want, I might pay for a month of Plus or something like that. Otherwise, don’t see the point of paying for a full subscription when I don’t care for online multiplayer otherwise.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Citrus raptor

@ I find that it’s the opposite, that people–mostly PS users–whined about it before, but are now suddenly ok with it.

#60 1 year ago
  61. freedoms_stain

If I’m honest I’m disappointed that basic mp will become a PS+ feature, however given the bonus content that comes with PS+ it’s much more justifiable than the existing Live Gold set up.

If you pay for PS+ you ensure that you get a selection of content to play even if you don’t buy anything else for the console.

#61 1 year ago
  62. DSB

Yeah, but PS+ is still a bit like buying the cat in the sack, though.

Fair enough that a console has its own infrastructure, and fair enough that that costs money, but if you look at the PC eco-system, you have people with far bigger infrastructures who charge people far less (like, nothing) to use it.

The idea that you need a subscription in order to support lower prices and let people play online is a big fat lie.

But I guess it’s better service than people are used to on consoles, so the percieved value trumps the actual value.

This, basically.

#62 1 year ago
  63. absolutezero

I’m an existing PS+ subscriber, I enjoy the service enough outside of online multiplayer that I would be a continuing customer even if online multiplayer was still free.

I’ve grown used to the benefits enough that them locking online multi behind the paywall does not bother me all that much. I can see how it would be an irritation to those that have gotten used to playing online for free on the PS3 though.

Its a bit shit.

#63 1 year ago
  64. deathm00n

I’m one of the people who complais about having to pay to play online on xbox. And I don’t mind it on PS4. Why? Because in MS consoles you are paying exclusively for the right to play online, and that’s it, no other exceptional benefits. With Playstation Plus you are going to pay not only for playing online, but to receive free games, not only for one platform, but for 3 of them. And don’t come with the whinery, “Oh but it’s a rental, it’s not really mine, if I stop paying I loose the game”, stop paying your electrical bill, your water bill, your internet bill, your phone bill and see what happens then, are you going to tell to me that you don’t own the electricity you consume, the water you use and so on? This is called service people.

#64 1 year ago
  65. CyberMarco

@deathm00n

I too find PS+ very compelling and IMHO the best sub service on the market, but forcing people to opt in just to be able to play online it’s not cool.

Personally I’ll renew my sub but I can see why people can be upset over it.

#65 1 year ago
  66. misieque

@64 I don’t get it. Paying for PSN Plus gets me FREE games? ;]

#66 1 year ago
  67. CyberMarco

“Free” is an overly misused and sugar-coated word of marketing these days though…

#67 1 year ago
  68. Citrus raptor

Another problem with all these free games is that someone as I don’t benefit from them since I buy what I’m interested in, day one. The same problem with Humble Indie Bundle. It’s cheap, but late and irrelevant. So getting a free game with PS+ or Live Gold, doesn’t really matter.

#68 1 year ago
  69. absolutezero

Then use it to broaden your horizons.

#69 1 year ago
  70. GK

but you have a choice,you buy game day 1,you finish and sell it.xbox dont let you to do that.and after sometime you can get the same game from PS+ and play again if you like.you pay like 40e for yearly sub,but you get a lot of games and after that goes that you pay for game like 1e or 2e.like PS+ give us Hitman,this game was released in november and other great games was too,so you dont buy all of them,you buy 3-4,so a lot of games left untried.so PS+ give me a choice get this game for free,its a win win for me!

#70 1 year ago
  71. CyberMarco

@GK

Right now you are given a choice to sub for PS+, good for you. I personally find PS+ fantastic, but it doesn’t change the fact that you are forced to use it in order to play online.

Also the link DSB posted is spot-on!

#71 1 year ago
  72. Citrus raptor

@ 70
    Maybe you’re right. When I get a PS4, maybe I’ll just pay for PS+ and get the games that it covers. I did after all only buy 7 PS3 games (will get Las of Us though, and The Last Guardian, if that’s ever released).

I wonder how many will do just that, and how far its sustainability will stretch? Will it’s success on both platforms be yet a step towards a free-to-play-with-microtransactions business model?

#72 1 year ago
  73. Cort

G1HAHURTZ is right, there are a lot of hypocrites out today after this news. As there were last month when MS announced Blu-ray for the XBOne and those legions of XBox fans who spent years ridiculing or criticising the technology suddenly had no problem with it whatsoever.

You’ve really got to sort out that selective vision thing, G1GA. Could cause a nasty accident one day.

#73 1 year ago
  74. polygem

@66: let´s just say, you get A LOT of value in return.

i really like ps plus, i was on the fence about it for a long time though. i buy a lot of games and i feared that i bought most of the games that will show up there anyway and sure, there are games on plus that i already bought, but there are also lots i haven´t bought but i am still interested in. it´s a good mix really. i easily got my 49,99 back in no time. easily. it´s a good deal and it´s totally optional. if you have the vita too it´s a no brainer really.

#74 1 year ago
  75. MadFingerz

I’m a bit shocked about this but at the same time I can see why they did it. This might just have been the only way to keep a service like Plus going. I’m already a subscriber so it won’t make any difference to me but I feel sorry for the folks that were happy enough with the regular free PSN.

Still, I think that many, if not most, people who aren’t subs now but will have to be with PS4, will eventually feel happy about the service.

#75 1 year ago
  76. G1GAHURTZ

@73:

Legions of Xbox fans…?

Ridiculing for years…??

You must have a whole bunch of links you can share with us, then?

#76 1 year ago
  77. manamana

@75 I subscribed yesterday and I’m blown away (coming from XBL on my prefered console) how much offers are given away. I mean I need a new harddrive now, as there are lots of full-fledged games for free that I missed out, like ICO/SOTC HD and Infamous2, or Catherine.

I can hardly recall, that Microsoft gave away a game for free in the last seven years, since I was a gold member…

#77 1 year ago
  78. Gama_888

@77 It really is incredible value.

My Ps+ subscription recently expired without me realizing, So when i went to the Ps store and just started adding stuff to my cart it came up to well over £100+ and my wallet limit was reached so it wouldn’t let me add anymore.
    So i backed out, renewed my Ps+ subscription and it went to £0

Its pretty awesome.And they’v said that will continue for PS4 and have offered us DriveClub to prove it.
    DriveClub is the exact type of game i might have missed out on without this service. And that’s true for a lot of games on Ps+

M$’s offering of Halo 3 and Assassins creed 2 just do not match up to whats on Ps+, perhaps it will improve, but for now there is no comparison.

Im not happy that they put online multiplayer onto the prescription service either. But its done.
    And now we have no other option, we have to pay for online multiplayer. Unless you want a WiiU (Lol), Or Pc, but i don’t want a Pc.

#78 1 year ago
  79. Lgi

1) my understanding is that online multilayer gaming is actually done between consoles (like p2p). Therefore you already paid for the right to play online multiplayer games if you paid for your internet. The console manufacturers have no right to make up a fake fee.

2) if you dont believe the above is true, lookup patent US6069896.pdf.

3) the whole point of the ‘internet’ is that you pay for your own internet connection to connect with other computers. YOU DONT PAY FOR THE OTHER PERSONS INTERNET AND COMPUTERS TOO!!!

I just wont purchase a ps4 or xbox 1 FULLSTOP. If consumers support these businesses doing this, then it is like selling ice to the Ice to the Eskimos. (you all ready paid for the console, your internet connection, the game) To play online costs very little – they are just relying on consumer ignorance to rip you off.

PLEASE Consider abandoning gaming consoles until they allow you to use your internet (WHICH YOU ALL READY PAID FOR) for playing online games.

#79 1 year ago
  80. tsuris

These days generally no, you don’t just connect to another console to play such a game, (and for that matter P2P doesn’t usually work that way either, please read about it before posting) you connect (depending on the game, share, whatever) to a central server which others connect to, it handles the interplay with your connection so you can find others to play with, without the “middle man” service you would have to KNOW each person you wanted to play with, and have the necessary information (ip address for example) to connect with them, with the service your console (or more likely the game data) will have ONE (or a collection of a few in case of problems, updates, what have you) IP address which connects you (and everyone) to the same place, that “place” then either shares you IP (or more likely) ports data to and from keeping your info confidential (lots of bandwidth needed for that…not just for one game, but many hundreds or thousands that may be going on). Think of it this way
    your console – > input command (jump, throw grenade, whatever) – > your isp – > ~ (many steps in the middle) – > central server receives it and passes it on (checking most of the time for hacks, glitches, and whatever else it does) – > ~ (many MORE steps) – > their isp – > their console – > grenade kills them

#80 1 year ago