Xbox One ahead of PS4 in Amazon UK pre-order charts

Monday, 10th June 2013 12:00 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 and Xbox One pre-orders on Amazon UK are almost neck-and-neck, according to the online retailer, with Microsot’s console nudging ahead by just 2.3% sales.

In a press release sent to VG247 this morning Amazon UK confirmed that Xbox One pre-orders are already 20% higher than Xbox 360 orders were before the console launched in 2005.

Xavier Garambois, VP of retail at Amazon EU, said of the PS4 and Xbox One stats, “It’s not clear yet which of the two will have the edge when they launch later this year – what’s certain, though, is that fans are already excited about how the next generation of consoles will change the world of gaming and home entertainment.”

Ketu Patel, head of video games at Amazon UK added, “Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are set to have a huge impact, not just in terms of cutting edge games but also as part of the way in which families enjoy home entertainment.

“It will be fascinating to see how the battle between the two console giants develops over the coming months – the fight for who’s going to be the must-have Christmas present is only just beginning.”

Have you ordered either console? If so, which one did you go for? Or perhaps you plumped for both? Let us know below.

1. orakaa

Of course pre-orders for both consoles are more important than last gen : online retail, especially for console purchase was not as widely popular as it is today.

2. loveaya

Not surprised~

3. bitsnark

Well, it certainly shows the strength of a brand overpowering common sense that’s for sure.

4. OmegaSlayer

I commented more than 2 months ago on N4G that UK would have swalled the new XBOX no matter what, because it’s the favourite American gaming brand.
    It seems I wasn’t that far from the reality LOL

5. Ireland Michael

Okay, let’s point out some things here before people start making mountains out of molehills.

1) This is only the UK site.

2) Its a miniscule 2% difference.

3) Preorders are always popular. It’s the momentum *afterwards* that matters.

6. orakaa

Besides, sales have historically been stronger for Xbox in the UK, so it’s not really surprising. On the opposite, it is surprising to see “only” a 2.3% difference so far.

We’ll see how things will go at the end of the year, after the prices have been announced, etc. It’s too early to draw conclusions

7. Tech-N9ne

@5 Except the PS4 had been on pre-order months before the Xbox One was announced.

8. Samoan Spider

@4 I don’t think it’s about favourite gaming brand, I think it’s the one that ‘normal’ people will buy without worrying too much about the fuss we’re all making. PS4 will sit far better with gamers but MS sells better to average Joe or Joanne. Be interesting to see what happens when it comes to putting the rest of the money down though. Pre-order =/= guaranteed sale.

9. Ireland Michael

@7 It alos hasn’t had any major news or reveals surrounding it in months either, whereas the X1 was only just announced recently.

I’d be far more interested in figures for the whole of Europe or the US.

10. heroes159

This makes me lol. I mean Almost everyone on internet Boycotting /Bashing XBOXONE & its still getting Pre-orders more than PS4. Looks like General /Casual Gamers not even care. So we’ll see MS going in this Path(Used games/Online DRM etc etc), without Stopping anything & I can see PS4 gonna follow them. This is the Future People. SO DEAL WITH IT :D

11. TheBlackHole

The ‘only’ 2.3% difference is more prominent when you consider PS4 has had an extra month at pre-order.

12. CyberMarco

Also, as the past gen of consoles, they are for a marathon not a sprint. This pre-order crap fest means nothing.

13. bitsnark

@8 I suppose I’m just a little shocked that the average Joe or Joanne doesn’t realise how badly this fucks them in their rights.

Just goes to show how little homework people do before they do, well, anything.

14. backup

Fake news
    PS rules in europe PC and xbox are dead in europe

15. CyberMarco

16. MFBB

What you have to consider is that people like us, who know everything about the consoles/developers etc and understand all the technical stuff and restrictions, are the minority.

Thats why many people will still buy the XboxOne.

They dont know what all those restrictions mean or they simply dont care.

Both consoles will be very successfull.

17. Samoan Spider

@13 Yup, that’s the problem. I have to be honest, nothing I’ve seen will bother me (I meant to say: that much). I don’t rent, borrow or lend and used isn’t looking to be a huge issue but what I’m concerned with is value. It’s the publishers I’m worried about and what shit they will pull. Sim City and many other examples showed they can’t handle online single player properly.
    I’m still torn. We’ll find out soon enough where the better money is. I’m not sold on either yet.

18. TheBlackHole

That’s very presumptuous of you?

If you use any of the following: Steam,Netflix,Lovefilm, Spotify, you are already using a service just as ‘restricted’ as the XB1.

None of these services offer me any more ‘rights’ than Microsoft’s new console, but I use them happily as they provide me with a decent, reasonably priced service that does what I need it to do.

I have no problem using any of those, and I won’t have a problem using either of the new consoles.

Don’t just assume that because you’re not willing to, others aren’t open to change.

19. polygem

believe it when i see it

20. Gekidami

I’d assume this has something to do with the fact we dont even know what the PS4 looks like yet, i imagine people arent too keen on pre ordering ‘nothing’.

21. Christopher Jack

@18, The issue is that the console itself is being treated as a service, all those services you listed require the internet to function, the Xbone restricts itself to the net to function.

22. Ireland Michael

@18 Uh… no.

They would only be comparable if I had to buy each album / movie individually on top of the monthly cost.

Now, if the Xbox One gave you access to every single game on its console for the price of a year’s Xbox Live Gold, it would be the same thing as Netlfix / Spotify, etc.. It doesn’t.

Regarding Steam, I don’t buy retail titles on the service anyway. I don’t support DRM on physical media.

23. G1GAHURTZ

X1 wins again!

24. bitsnark

I guess what I meant to say was, that I am surprised that they don’t/haven’t researched the topic more.

I’m not saying others aren’t open to change either; I’m just interested to see why they would be interested in pre-ordering the machine in the first place – what would the trigger be? Brand loyalty, a specific set of IP’s etc.

25. redwood

that’s because the ps4 isn’t properly revealed yet!!! many people need to see the box before they pre-order it. also many people are xboxombies

26. dravenkaze

Mothers should stop preordering for their kids, most that pre order won’t know anything about xbone lol wont even know it has to go online every dam day

27. Belazur

@G1GAHURTZ
    “Again”? “X1 wins again”?
    Again at what? At screwing up everything?

28. The_Red

I guess more online people are looking forward to a DRMed future.

29. Digital Bamboo

“Or perhaps you plumped for both?” I don’t think this news is THAT exciting.

30. xBASSxMONSTAx

PS4 had a month head start and it’s still losing. :(

31. TheBlackHole

What exactly is the big deal with DRM?

I get that on PC it’s a fucker because it makes installation and swapping PCs a pain in the ass, but neither of these will be problematic for console, as it’s a single system.

I don’t plan to copy or torrent games for my console, so what’s the big deal?

32. laughing-gravy

33. heroes159

XBOX/MS Not going to just back down coz of Internet rage.These are Billion $ Projects. They are always doing research & research & research about how people gonna react to DRM & etc etc. We’ll see everything about XBOX & PS4 in the next few Hours. So Lets wait :D

34. Belazur

@TheBlackHole
    Dude, really?
    You saw that: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2775/54127643.png
    And you’re asking us “what’s the problem?”

REALLY?

35. Irani

long live Xbox One , Die PS4 Die

36. silkvg247

That’s actually quite depressing.

37. TheBlackHole

Well, I’ve used Steam for the last five years and I can’t lend or sell games AT ALL on there. Given that they also only sell you ‘licenses’, it seems like either Valve are being VERY restrictive on what rights we should have over digital licenses, or MS are being overly generous. Either way, they are essentially very similar services.

Kinect will be useful for a few things, and I can turn off the bits I don’t like. I’m not paranoid about secret surveillance (and I’m also not doing anything of interest to anyone while playing games), so all that bullshit is irrelevant IMO. If in doubt, I’ll just switch it off at the wall. UK plugs actually have on/off switches, which makes soooo much sense.

And as for the internet – I don’t remember the last time my devices weren’t connected to the net for an hour, let alone 24. My phone, console, PC, tablet, Laptop are all connected 24/7. I don’t have a problem with the machine spending 2 mins every day checking I’m still there.

So yes, this stuff isn’t new, almost every for of digital entertainment media has a form of it (spotify, netflix, steam) and once physical discs become obsolete, these arguments will be moot anyway.

38. TheBlackHole

Also, a lot of that image is guesswork. Hardly any of that info has been confirmed or detailed by MS, which is part of the frustration.

39. DrDamn

@TheBlackHole
    “What exactly is the big deal with DRM?”

Your question is about other people, but your response is purely from your perspective.

40. silkvg247

I wonder how many of the pre-ordering families are aware that little Johnny won’t be able to swap games with his best mate Billy anymore.

I mean really. All I can picture with this news is folks bent over, paying top dollar to a nearby MS employee with a spiked paddle.

If the ps4 pulls even half the bullshit MS have, I’ll be insisting with the other half that we don’t get one of those either. Why pay to be stripped of all consumer rights.. makes zero sense.

41. OmegaSlayer

Priceless.
    Also CBOAT is awesome ;)

I speak from a non-English perspective, and as Italians are Pasta, Pizza, Mafia, UKers are very influenced by US market.

42. Ireland Michael

@38 Its an issue when DIGITAL restriction are allowed to PHYSICAL objects.

I loved how you completely ignore how the likes of Spotify and Netlfix are nothing like this.

Unless Microsoft ends up offering every single game on the platform to every single Gold user to play whenever they want, they aren’t even remotely comparable. It’s apples and oranges.

43. TheBlackHole

Hence why I’m asking what other people find problematic. Doesn’t stop me from explaining why I don’t.

And like I said, much of that ‘feature list’ is either made up or at best, unconfirmed.

44. OlderGamer

TBH price also has a lot to do with it for me. I use Netflix because it is cheaper then buying the movies. I rent from Gamefly for the same reason. The trouble with X1 DRM is that you aren’t trading rights for price. Your games will still cost the same as they do now, or more. Same price, less rights.

At some point you have to ask yourself why DRM? Don’t you? Who is MS trying to benefit? Who gets hurt by it? It doesn’t come out in your favor…at all.

As for Steam, stop. I use Steam too. A summer ago, I sent my son to his Grandmas for a week…zero internet. He could play his SP games just fine. Also let me know when I can get an entire game, its expansions and its DLC for $7.50usd on a console the way I can on Steam.

45. DrDamn

The feature list is based on the information MS put out there. The URL is in the link. Can you find anything there which isn’t backed up by the link http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/main/

46. stretch215

Not surprised at all. And I’m literally laughing out loud at all of you passionately protesting “gamers” who actually thought this wouldn’t be popular. Wait until u.s. preorders open, it’ll be ahead by a lot more here.

47. TheBlackHole

Not really. The model is different, sure, but the core fundamentals are the same. You own the license to use certain products, and those licenses can be restricted or removed at any time without notice.

I guess a more relevant example would be the Kindle Store.

Also, the object is a delivery platform. You could argue that a physical gift card or iTunes voucher is the same. It holds an inherent ‘value’ because of what it is, but really it’s just a means to transmit part of that transaction to another device.

What if half the game was on the disc and half was streamed online? Should the disc still indicate product, as opposed to license, ownership?

What if 90% was online and 10%, or even just the code, was on a disc?

At what point do you stop considering a physical good ‘the entire product’?

Seems like semantics to me. We don’t own anything but a license, whether the actual product is delivered via streaming, download or physical disc. they are just delivery platforms for the same product, bought under the same terms.

48. TheBlackHole

Look, I get the ‘I can’t play if I don’t have the internet’ thing. I’m not sold on that as a concept if for no other reason than it limits their global penetration in emerging markets. It seems short sighted but I’m sure they have a plan for that.

As for Steam… they get away with not letting you lend or sell on games because publishers price their titles cheaper on their platform?

Can they really do no wrong?

49. ps3fanboy

this is fake news no doubt about that. this is just microsoft contractors doing their best to spread fud… and nothing more.

50. Ireland Michael

@48 “I guess a more relevant example would be the Kindle Store.”

Which is entirely the reason I prefer to get up off my ass and go to a book store instead.

“What if 90% was online and 10%, or even just the code, was on a disc”

That’s when I stop buying them.

“We don’t own anything but a license.”

European law says otherwise. 20 years of hardware also says otherwise.

I own my physical possessions, in their entirety, and I can do whatever the hell I want with them as long as I don’t ridistrube it illegally. In fact, according the EU law, I own my digital possession too, and no business that limit my access to them or stop me from reselling them, no matter what they’re self-obsessed ToSes or EULA’s claim to the contrary.

51. Christopher Jack

@45, Exactly.

@51, Digital ownership is where things get tricky, companies want us to believe that was only own the license to use our purchase on their terms, idk how it works nor do I really care, I simply don’t redistribute anything digital that I own.

52. silkvg247

I think hasbro should plant tiny explosives into their toys which cause the toy to explode if it isn’t connected to the internet once per 24 hours, or if traded in to a friend.

53. TheBlackHole

In which case, what the fuck is everyone bitching about, if you legally own them anyway?

If that’s the case, MS will have to relent and you’ll get what you’re rightfully entitled to.

Right?

54. monkeygourmet

Not quite because those freedoms aren’t really available in reality.

I can’t even gift you a XBLA game for example, I certainly couldn’t sell you my digital copy of ‘Fez’, unless i sold my whole account.

55. TheBlackHole

56. CyberMarco

@TheBlackHole

Oh man, the ignorance is strong in this one!

I do use Steam, knowing all those “restrictions” but I chose to. Is it absurd if people who doesn’t like a business model used on other platforms that are forced on theirs to react? Just cause Steam does that doesn’t mean that MS can get away with it too!

And regarding the Internet thing, yeah I too keep all my devices connected 99% of the times but only because I chose to, not because I’m forced by them. It’s a matter of principle and right, they can’t dictate when I have to be online and what I can do with my games.

I’m really tired explaining these things over and over again on the Internet because some individuals don’t comprehend the impact of their actions…

@53 Hilarious, hahahaha! xD

57. TheBlackHole

Right. And this issue is not exclusive to the XB1, but all consoles and some PC game distributors.

58. Ireland Michael

@54 Only if people are willing to approach them on.

Nobody is going to believe you were assaulted if you willingly bent over, after all…

Business are not your friends. They’ll do whatever they can to fuck over your rights, and they’ll push their luck as far as they can until people complain and the courts put their foot down. Microsoft lost through monopolisation, so they have to try to win through restrictions now instead. They’re obviously hoping this will force people to buy more copies of games.

59. CyberMarco

@ThaBlackHole

“Incidentally, and this is a genuine question, but when you buy a copy of CS6 or MS office, you own the license to use the program. You don’t own the source code that comes with it, right?”

Yeah, you have the license to use the software as you like, as long as you don’t break the rules and make illegal copies for your personal profits.

I’m not saying that when I buy the game, it’s “mine” like as if I created it. It’s still an intellectual property of the original creator, but that shouldn’t prevent me from having the possibility to resell the license as I see fit.

60. TheBlackHole

@57,

You’re talking like they are changing the terms of a piece of hardware you already own. I get it when people get pissed that their phone contract changes mid-contract, but you don’t have to buy an xbox. There are other options if you don’t like the business model. Nobody is forcing your hand.

61. Ireland Michael

@56 Actually, I can edit, hack, reverse engineer, and do whatever the heck I want with that code, just so long as I don’t give it to anyone. Same for hardware. I can legally hack it in any manner I choose as long as it doesn’t result in allowing theft.

@61 Of course we don’t have to buy one.

I don’t intend to, personally. It’s called “voting with my wallet”.

62. TheBlackHole

I agree 100%, but that’s not an issue exclusive to XB1, so can’t possibly be the reason people are going apeshit over it. Almost every other entertainment provider does the same thing.

I’m not saying it’s right, but it’s hardly a surprise.

63. absolutezero

Please stop using Steam as an example.

Steam =/= PC. The sheer fact I can buy Steam games outside of Steam as a utility should be enough to put stop to that.

Its a lazy comparison.

@62 http://youtu.be/UIQtlQl783M

64. CyberMarco

“They can’t dictate what you do with your internet, but they can dictate how their products function. Don’t like? Don’t buy.”

Well, that’s not always the case. If you remember, in summer 2012 Valve changes its ToS forcing you to agree with the new terms or else you would lose the access to your bought games.

That’s why in the bottom page of every product you buy it says with really tiny words, “The company can still make changes in the ToS as they see fit without any further notification”

In other words, you do as we say or f*ck off!

@absolutezero Hahahaha :p

65. polygem

“#47stretch215
    10/06/13, 1:46 pm
    Not surprised at all. And I’m literally laughing out loud at all of you passionately protesting “gamers” who actually thought this wouldn’t be popular. Wait until u.s. preorders open, it’ll be ahead by a lot more here”

and what are your feelings about this? i´d really like to know. i mean just because many people buy into stuff it must not mean it´s good: mc donalds, shakira, nazi germany, xbox one…see.

66. stretch215

Lol. People are acting like: If you buy an xbox1 Microsoft will kill a baby in china. All those walls of text protesting xbx1 because of “principles” and nobody cares. People are going to buy this machine in waves, especially in the U.S.. You people are a (vocal) minority in the eyes of MS (and the rest of the world), and I highly doubt they are surprised by your “protesting”. They just don’t care.

67. CyberMarco

Wow, that escalated quickly! xD

@stretch215

The fact that the vocal majority of the consumers will eat whatever crappy corporation bullsh*t that will be presented to them doesn’t mean that it’s “ethical” or “right” or the way that it should be…

68. OlderGamer

Not just that pub sell cheaper(they do ofc, new games often cost less on Steam then on a console), but it isn’t just that. The 10usd difference isn’t huge. But the sales are. I am one of those gamers where I play mostly the games I get one sale. It isn’t uncommon for me to buy a game for 5usd or less. No joke.

If I could commonly buy X1 games for 5usd to 20usd, I would much less an issue with the games being locked to my account.

But as it is MS isn’t some forward thinking evolution of gaming messiah here. The root problem is that its entire audience is going to be losing rights. If you buy and game on a X1 you will have less rights to your games then you have now. Period. I fully understand that we have been buying limited use licensing for years. However the fact was that we could use those games unrestricted. The games we bought can’t even be redistributed according the ELUA in many cases, yet look at second hand sales. We could loan, trade and sell pretty much any game. We lose that now.

Steam prices are so good, I often buy multiple packs of games to trade game code with people or give them away to my friends and family so we can play together. There is a hella difference between Steam and X1.

And games restrictions are only one part of the woes for me with X1. The Online requirement stinks. Kinect 2.0 is a potential nightmare. Separating the difference between a pvt viewing license and a public one(what if you are having a kids Bday party, fire up a movie or tv show, and Kinect sees that 9 people are in the room and the thing stops and demands you upgrade your viewing license?

So much potential crap. It amazes me the people that defend it. Do you honestly not see the problems? Can you not see the direction MS is trying to take things into? Again Netflix works because it is an alternative to high priced movies. Gamefly works because it is alternative to high priced games. Steam works because they don’t limit your access to your games and the prices are excellent.

Where is the trade off for owning X1?

Is it because MS will sabotage the other consoles by buying out publishers and creating “unpresented partnerships”? I just don’t understand how anyone, informed, could look upon MS and not get a sick feeling in the pit of their stomach. I played a lot more on XB360 then I did Wii or PS3 last gen. Much more.

But it is what it is.

69. TheBlackHole

I can also purchase console games from retailers other than the Xbox live store. What’s your point?

Steam is, for all intents and purposes, a platform for purchasing and playing games. Ownership rights and distribution rights still apply.

70. Ireland Michael

@66 No, you’re inferring things people aren’t saying.

All most of us are saying is “We think this approach is wrong, and we don’t want to support it.” We’re not “protesting” because we expect to win. We’re “protesting” because we simply don’t agree with it.

Winning or losing isn’t the point.

71. absolutezero

There are numerous other digital shop fronts from which to buy, this creates healthy competition and drives down prices, its better for the consumer. The consoles on the other hand are almost completely closed and if you want to buy an XBLA game online well theres only one choice.

Unless you want to buy a grey market code for slightly less. There are boxed releases on the PC, various sites like Green Man Gaming and GamersGame and Steam itself.

Saying “Well they do it” just does not work. It ends up with a better deal for both publishers, developers and consumers, the MS model is better for the previous 2 but not the third. As a consumer I am slightly worried about that. So much so that I do not intended to ever buy a XBONE.

Putting all the consumer rights to one side I have not had cause to turn my 360 on since Halo 4 let me down. There has been nothing released that will not get a better quality PC release at some point or is going to be on the PS3 anyway. That before I even add in how much I dispise the UI of the 360 which seems to have changed little, or the TV focus or any of the other terrible decisions which to me as someone that buys and enjoys a hell of alot of video games is depressing more than anything.

I strongly doubt there will be anything revealed today that will change my mind, from the looks of it MS is relying heavily on American’s being tied to the brand and going from there.

72. Fin

I can only assume that if MS launched new games at £30, disallowed used game resales (or loaning), and had an indefinite offline period after first activation, everyone would be ok with that?

Cos that’s what Steam does.

73. CyberMarco

A-fucking-men!

74. OlderGamer

For the record, if Sony announces today that the PS4 will do much the same thing as X1, I will cancel my PS4 preorder.

Also AZ +1

75. OlderGamer

It would be easier to accept Fin. But Steams prices are even lower then that with their sales. And they run deals daily.

76. CyberMarco

Sony confirmed that you can enjoy the PS4 totally offline. So if they’ll implement any DRM function I think it wont be similar to Microsoft’s “almost always-online”

77. OmegaSlayer

Stop the Steam stuff.
    I buy a console because I don’t want PC-like stuff, so having a PC-like service forced down my throat is not good.
    If I’m forced with PC-like things I buy a PC, not a closed platform surrogate.
    Simple as that.
    And it’s not like Apps, since apps don’t cost 60$.
    If I buy a 2$ app and don’t like it, well…fuck me, I lost 2$…2 coffee…if I lose 60$ I lose a day of work…

78. absolutezero

Its actually pretty stunning how little people know about the PC environment as a platform for playing games.

Perhaps Steam is not such a God send after all.

79. polygem

@67: sure people will buy it…but is it good that they do? i don´t think so. they don´t care if people are concerned? is it good that they don´t care? i don´t think it is. do you think it´s funny to “laughing out loud at all of you passionately protesting “gamers” “? i don´t think it is.

80. stretch215

@66 polygem- I think it’s good, and I’ll be buying one eventually, though I’m on the fence as to which one I will buy at launch. I have absolutely no problem with anything the xbx1 is doing, as there are simple soultions. Like the whole 24 hr. thing: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/06/microsoft-outlines-xbox-ones-always-on-perameters.aspx
    You only need 1.5mbps to “authenticate”, so if my internet goes down I can tether my cellphone (40mbps dwn 15mbps up while on lte). I don’t really buy used, and I like the non-gaming features.

81. CyberMarco

I agree and I’m with you on that. Funny thing is that if you try to imagine the impact these people have on other matters, more important for our daily life you’ll realize that we are trying to win “our noble cause” on mere nonsenses.

The more I think of it the more it’s depressing…

Again, you miss the point. You don’t see the whole picture of the case, but rather observe it from your point of you. It’s a matter of collectivity too…

82. stretch215

@79 please spare me the altruism. People will buy what they want, regardless of what you “think”. Also, ms doesn’t care about a small number of “gamers” who are upset because they aren’t just going for gamers. Their scope is much larger this gen. They’re chasing the $, and I “think” they will be successful. As far as the rest of what you ” think”. I don’t care. At all.

83. monkeygourmet

Nice view… You don’t for one second think games will be hurt by these methods?

You want more season passes, DLC, micro transactions, dlc content and levels unlocked that were already completed on launch, yearly updates of the same games?

It will only get worse following MS’s model…

And that’s not even mentioning advertising and security issues.

84. stretch215

@81 no I see the point. I just don’t care about the “collective”. My pov is all that matters. I spend my $ where I want, on what I want. I want an xbx1, so I will (eventually) buy one. Simple.

85. CyberMarco

Good for you, you don’t want take sides now with people who try to prevent any future cluster-fuck in gaming. Please don’t come crying when things will hit you directly, just saying…

86. stretch215

@83 neither of us know the future, man. The odds are just as good for that NOT to happen. If ir does, I’m fine with it. I don’t HAVE to play games. I think that’s the part you people don’t understand.

87. absolutezero

Its more likely that people are invested in a hobby that they love. As such they want to protect it.

If you don’t care that much to look beyond your own personal gains then good for you just don’t expect me to ever listen to anything you say ever again. I mean its own video games right? Just because MS do it does not mean it might set a worrying precedent for the rest of the industry, I mean it could all go right and we could have Kinect robot maids.

88. G1GAHURTZ

X1 haters = Diablo 3 haters.

89. stretch215

@85 Is that what you think you’re doing? I say you’re delaying the inevitable. Either way, I’ll be fine. Gaming is NOT my entire life. I guess for some of you it is. Lol.

90. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, let’s protect gaming by stopping the people who make games from getting a fair cut of the sales!

Let’s off to thepiratebay!

91. absolutezero

I can count to reductionist!

92. machy

the numbers will be much different when ps4 sees the light ..
    costumer : the console is not working
    amazon ser-line: and why is that sir
    cos : It just won’t ply any of the new games I bought .. wtf
    A: did u contacted to the Internet
    cos : no and why ‘d I need inter I wanna try my new games
    A : sir x1 has to contact to the Internet for it to work
    10 mints later
    cos : wtf I conact the stupid thing to the Internet and still does wanna ply games
    A : sir did u connect the knict to ur x1
    cos : I want refund

93. CyberMarco

I already stated that we are bitching for a f*cking luxurious hobby, but that doesn’t have to prevent me from stating my opinion. I guess I have to worry for other more important things in life and that’s true, but I know that the majority of people on this planet just doesn’t even care to stand up for their civil rights, let alone for crappy DRM boxes…

94. reask

Not too sure I get the used games thing tbh.
    Lets say I pop down for a used game knowing there will be an activation fee?
    Wont I calculate that in to the price the shop is charging?

So it would appear the shop will have to do that as well.

95. TheBlackHole

“You want more season passes, DLC, micro transactions, dlc content and levels unlocked that were already completed on launch

It’s this ignorance that annoys me so much. Do me a favour and look at this very carefully.

“Yearly updates of the same games?”

I’m sorry… I didn’t realise you weren’t able to determine for yourself whether a game was worth buying.

96. OmegaSlayer

Do you want to make a bet?
    xboxone will be the most pirated and jailbreaked console of the millennium.
    the third millennium

97. CyberMarco

Oh please!

I refuse to believe that corporate bullsh*t as game saving, by splitting the initial production team so they can “focus” on more ways to deliver enhanced DLC.

98. monkeygourmet

The info graphic would work somewhat better if Bioware & EA (especially EA) weren’t huge devs / publihers who are well known for DLC bullshit and this wasn’t the THIRD title in a series and assets were able to be re-used.

Just look at Capcom, EPIC (gears) etc… For examples of on disc DLC or stripping a product back then selling it to you in sections.

You’ve mildly addressed day 1 DLC, not any other points.

99. OlderGamer

I don’t mind the pubs getting a cut on the games resale either. That makes sense to me. But to do it can come with its own set of problems. Does it pretty much cut out smaller independent shops? Won’t that run the risk of driving prices up? Or at least offering a method to control prices? I take it Gamestop, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Walmart, Target, and maybe a few other big box stores will be able to “participate” butwho else? And will there be a “participating partenership” fee that MS can charge? In other words if Gamestop wants to sell used games, won’t they have to buy/opt in? There is a software tracking system/integration “service” in play here.

Again, what about smaller shops?

What about rentals? My guess would be that you can rent the games via downloading them directly from MS. Then opt to buy the full game if you want it. So there goes Gamefly, and ofc again smaller shops that rent games. Those folks could lose their jobs. But so long as EA can get even more of a cut on second hand sales it is ok?

This, all of it, is so MS can make more money. None of it is to bring you a better video game. Just better, more efficient methods of monetization. Yeah no thanks.

And that is just one small part of the whole picture.

Don’t even get me started on Kinect. Or the TV focus.

And to label anyone speaking a simple hater…pretty simple minded and selfcentric.

100. CyberMarco

Welcome to the 21st Century, the best place where capitalism can have the upper hand and the consumer will be even more grateful!

101. stretch215

Walls and walls of text saying the same thing in different ways. The definition of insanity. We will all “vote with our wallets” in the end, as always.edit: except some of us will be able to play everything, and some of us will miss out. If you’re only buying a ps4 this gen. I hope you have a pc.

102. OlderGamer

Ofc we will vote with our wallets. That much we can agree on. I know who I won’t be voting for.

But here is the thing, when was the last time you saw so much rage against a system? There wasn’t this much for WiiU, and that sold like a dud. Just saying, maybe there is something to it. Go look at the comments for Major Nelson, filled with backlash. MS shut down their youtube channel for the system a bit back. They canceled their round table.

I understand vocal minority and all of that. But there is a lot of noise. To ignore it is just silly.

103. CyberMarco

@103 +1

104. monkeygourmet

I think my local game store may be in trouble next year! :(

105. SplatteredHouse

It’s no good for any aspect of competition, which helps keep creative people creative. And I’m not happy about the publisher’s scooping out extras, when the developers are not getting a look-in, and I have seen NO indication there is any intent for them to, under these plans.
    So, I think it is wayward, to try to spin this spurious yarn about “supporting the industry”, when in reality, all you may be rallying for is a greater payout for already highly paid executives.

But, they (the publishers, with their inaction) put themselves here. They’re not co-operating, they’re not negotiating, they’re using gamers as leverage over a shitty situation that has been at least a decade in the making! We’re that close to “companies exist to make money”, here. It’s true, but WE don’t exist to help them do that! They have to offer a service/product, and do so in an appreciable way.

106. absolutezero

Surely if killing used game sales is all about giving developers a better deal then that would go hand in hand with allowing indies to self publish?

107. stretch215

Companies do exist to make money. Period. Do we live on the same planet?edit: I didn’t finish reading your post. I apologize :)

108. SplatteredHouse

#108 np. saw your edit.

109. TheBlackHole

“Does it pretty much cut out smaller independent shops?”

“I take it…”

“And will there be a “participating partenership” fee that MS can charge?

“My guess would be that…”

“This, all of it, is so MS can make more money”

There’s the problem though OG, you’re just guessing and making sweeping assumptions about the method, means and motive.

110. polygem

@G1GA: i want devs to get my money. being against ms´s take with the x1 has nothing to do with that at all. you are buying into that stuff? seriously? it´s not about that. it is about controll of the market and making you pay twice for the same thing-no let´s make them pay a fee first and then make ém pay twice for the same thing. yeah that´s much better now.
    there are other ways to get devs the compensation they deserve, ms´s take is just not acceptable imo and i indeed think people who care about quality games should not support their vison. easy solution for devs to get my cash directly: pubs should make digital copies much cheaper so people buy these instead of retail and more people will buy it because of better pricing. good for you, good for pub, good for dev, everyone happy, fair deal. or another one, make a fair digital subscription model, you pay a monthly fee and can pick content from the shop, fair, everybody happy. another one, just make good games with great replay value, make nice packaging too so people want to keep the stuff, like demon´s and dark souls or mario kart. for very sp focused games make dlc that people will want to buy and play. make quality games and not shitty ones people will want to trade in because they simply suck. another one, make retail games a little cheaper too so people don´t bother trading them in. or make promos, buy halo 5 new, register your game online and get gears 4 20% off.
    Make stuff optional, don´t force it on people.
    there are many more ways…ms´s way is not about making gaming more fair for devs and gamers. not at all. it´s about how they can be as lazy as possible and at the same time get the most profit out of it.

111. OlderGamer

Ofc companies need to make money. But there needs to be a balance. You have to give your consumers value. Piss them off and they walk. We don’t have(well most of us) a blind allengence to MS. Just because I bought Xbox One and XB360, doesn’t mean I am obligated to purchase their new system. Don’t give me what I want and I skip it.

You have to earn your customers.

E3 should help and shed some light on both PS4 and One. But speaking of capitalism and making money rules one is make something people will want to spend money on.

EDIT:

You maybe right TBH, but right now that is all we can do. However common sense should be common. Tell me you can’t see it happening? Like I said a lot is still hanging in the air at E3.

112. CyberMarco

Ehm… it’s not assumptions. This is how companies work in this capitalistic world. I’m sure you’ve seen dozens of examples like this one…

113. monkeygourmet

Exactly.

114. TheBlackHole

@113.

Please, this is not the place for discussion on the finer points of capitalism. Although bonus lols for use of the word “capitalistic”.

“But here is the thing, when was the last time you saw so much rage against a system?”

System? Probably none, but I remember a ton of hate for Steam and Origin, both DRM-heavy platforms that are all more popular than DRM-free alternatives like GOG, or cheaper stores like GMG.

115. CyberMarco

So you want us to ignore the bigger picture behind the problem? O-k…

116. Spooderman

Noo y u piple pe-orders the Xbone.

117. polygem

@TBH:

“bonus lols for use of the word “capitalistic””

bonus lols for schoolyard bullying attempt.

118. JB

@113 yeah but there are rules and laws which protect the consumer. There has to be a balance between business and consumers. Consumers have rights and MS are trying to water down or bypass them. It`s not fucking ok, it`s a big deal that they on one hand try to lobby for the same rights as physical products when it suits them, but lobby for the exact opposite when that is better for them.

It`s not ok at all. There are pending lawsuits against Valve and privacy and consumer rights organisations are on it. Even The EU are looking into this shit.

119. TheBlackHole

@116, okay, go on then. You’ve convinced me. Let’s debate capitalism. Where would you like to start?

120. CyberMarco

Maybe you are referring to another person. I think I made my position quire clear in these posts. I do share the same opinions with you on the matter.

121. CyberMarco

Seriously? Ok then, I don’t have any problem to exchange opinions regarding capitalism but this isn’t the right place to do so, but anyhow…

What’s the primary target of capitalism? Profits, it doesn’t care if the means of achieving maximum revenues are gained by ethical practices or not, as long as in the end of the day the counter shows +1.

Capitalism is based on exploitation of the laboring sector. e.g. in a clothing factory the corporation will do whatever it has to lower its costs (by firing people, not providing the most adequate working conditions, health-care and so on) so it can maximize its profits. Simple logic. Take a look at Apple and Foxconn, the largest manufacturing industry of electronics in Asia. They literally drive workers to mass suicide due to the in-human level of conditions they are forced to work, gaining like 2-3$ for 12 hours of work.

Although these standards aren’t practiced (on that level) in western civilizations it doesn’t change the fact that the workers aren’t exploited too. Yeah, the gaming industry is far from those examples but look how much does a game developer earn from working his ass off to deliver a great game and how much does the guy-in-suit behind the desk demand his capital to raise, no questions ask.

If you want I can go all day mentioning examples like that, but it would be pointless. Things wont change by bitching on a forum where the industry doesn’t even consider relevant (which is true).

So I hope you got my point of view.

P.S. I would like to ask to everyone sorry for derailing a post (again), but I can’t help it! :P

122. TheBlackHole

CyberMarco, you are hypocrisy incarnate.

You
    “This is how companies work in this capitalistic world”

Me
    “this is not the place for discussion on the finer points of capitalism”

You
    “So you want us to ignore the bigger picture behind the problem? O-k…”

Me
    “okay, go on then. You’ve convinced me. Let’s debate capitalism”

You
    “Ok then, I don’t have any problem to exchange opinions regarding capitalism but this isn’t the right place to do so”

/FACEPALM

123. monkeygourmet

The very fact we are seeing stories and articles like this:

Means, the winds of change are coming. These things might not seem to effect you directly, but ultimatly they all play into the companies hand rather than the consumer.

In an ideal world, a company like MS would like:

1. Customers paying a subscription for online
    2. Low cost hardware with a premium price
    3. Safe games and apps that are easy to churn out but have high sales (COD etc…)
    4. Full price titles that still have microtransactions and DLC
    5. Stopping second hand sales
    6. Stopping people lending / hiring software
    7. High quality space for advertisers
    8. High quality camera tracking for increased advertising
    9. Ability to track peoples choice and actions away from the Xbox

Now, with the XB1, almost all these have come true. It’s a corperate marketing wet dream.

If the preposed ‘AR glasses’ (leaked in that PDF a while back), turn out to be a variation of ‘Google AR Glasses’, it will give MS the ‘complete package’ when it comes to player logging and advertising while they are away from the xbox…

X1
    X1 Kinect 2.0
    X1 AR Glasses
    Windows 8 Tablet w/ Smartglass
    Windows 8 Phone

The perfect storm.

Fucked up if you ask me…

Never going to purchase of of these devices.

124. stretch215

@103 if you want to use anectdotes, check out any cod article/video. Crazy, negative opinions all over the place, yet it’s the biggest franchise in gaming. On this level “there’s no such thing as bad publicity” , and the title of the article is confirmation.

125. stretch215

Anyways, 40 minutes until MS.

126. CyberMarco

@TheBlackHole

*sigh*

I think you read what you want to read. I didn’t want to analyze it here, but I thought you would come back saying I’m backing out…

127. TheBlackHole

No, I simply don’t understand the purpose of criticising me for saying this wasn’t the forum for debates on capitalism, when you then went on to say the EXACT SAME THING.

Anyway. I don’t care enough to continue the argument. Bygones.

35 minutes til arguably the most important E3 in a generation (chortle). Bring it!

I need a coffee.

128. stretch215

@128 I agree. This e3 is huge.

129. TheBlackHole

Phil Spencer basically just outed Killer Instinct from RARE.

130. NeutralBlade

There will always be early adopters, and of course, plenty of them are unaware of the new restrictions. There are also plenty of people that will swallow whatever is shoved down their throats, as long as they can play their favorite games.

What Sony plans to do with DRM, and how sales go a year after launch, will tell the tale. The sad part is, is that if the X1 does well, then expect more DRM to be enforced on us, over the course of the next-gen life-cycle. In the future, that 24 hour check in, could easily be reduced to one hour on the primary console; for whatever excuse Microsoft feeds us at the time. Hopefully things will get better, and not worse.

131. yanni

amazon.co.uk offers PS4 for £399.99, but you can get it at zavvi.com for only £332. Savings of £68!!! You just need referrers code ZV16127166 to get extra discount when opening a new account.